WHAT IF GEORGE LUCAS RE-MADE THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY?...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Star Wars is for kids. You saw the first 3 as kids and loved them, and then you saw the last 3 as grown ass men and you expected to still have the same taste and mindset as when you were kids? LMAO.

I loved the first 3. My five year old is bonkers about the last 3. Good enough for me.

People. Its a movie, made for enjoyment, not too be disected and criticized to a ridiculous extent. Like those critics who rate movies, if i listened too those fools ide have missed out on many movies i liked and just enjoyed. I liked the prequels, sure its a bit corny, but its a movie, u watch it and have fun, u dont get butt hurt over it. Tip: Jus enjoy somethings in life.

*I tend too agree with the poster above me.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

episodes 1-3 were such atrocious movies. lucas didn't even try on these films and if he did, it just shows how he has lost every creative fiber in his body.

the star wars prequels seemed more about lucas pushing his agenda of digital filmmaking than anything else. and of course...lots of money. i watched empire today too (i think we both have hbo LB) and the original films look so much better than the new ones. know why? because the new ones are all CGI and nothing else. yoda is CGI. the ships are CGI. the planets are CGI. jar jar "the reason i exist is so i can be a merchandising tie-in with mcdonals" binks is CGI. not to mention the storyetelling in the prequels was horrid. everything about them really.

it's a series that never should have been messed with. i still remember that dark day when the dvds of the original trilogy came out and they altered the last scene of return of the jedi by inserting hayden christensen's ghost in. shameful.

The series died for me prior to the prequels.

I loved The Empire Strikes Back, as it was much better than Star Wars. However Lucas revealed his dark side, when he made all of those miserable little stuffed animals and assorted merchandising crap in Return of the Jedi. He sold his soul just in time for the Christmas season, making it even more wretched. The movie as pretty awful as well, the weakest and most melodramatic story of the entire series.

I have never watched episodes 1 through 3 of the prequel series. I anticipate ruing the day when my son makes me watch the prequels, and then starts bugging me for the toys.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Star Wars is for kids. You saw the first 3 as kids and loved them, and then you saw the last 3 as grown ass men and you expected to still have the same taste and mindset as when you were kids? LMAO.

I loved the first 3. My five year old is bonkers about the last 3. Good enough for me.

So you REALLY think GL made the prequels JUST FOR KIDS?

I got news for you, the kids that GREW UP on Star Wars was who he was targeting because he knew where his fan base was. He knew those "kids" were all "grown up" now. GL isn't dumb.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:

I think the thousands of 30 year old men who flock to Star Wars conventions throughout the year would tell you otherwise.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:

The Buss wrote:
buduan wrote:

I think the thousands of 30 year old men who flock to Star Wars conventions throughout the year would tell you otherwise.

Exactly!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

episodes 1-3 were such atrocious movies. lucas didn't even try on these films and if he did, it just shows how he has lost every creative fiber in his body.

the star wars prequels seemed more about lucas pushing his agenda of digital filmmaking than anything else. and of course...lots of money. i watched empire today too (i think we both have hbo LB) and the original films look so much better than the new ones. know why? because the new ones are all CGI and nothing else. yoda is CGI. the ships are CGI. the planets are CGI. jar jar "the reason i exist is so i can be a merchandising tie-in with mcdonals" binks is CGI. not to mention the storyetelling in the prequels was horrid. everything about them really.

it's a series that never should have been messed with. i still remember that dark day when the dvds of the original trilogy came out and they altered the last scene of return of the jedi by inserting hayden christensen's ghost in. shameful.

I loved The Empire Strikes Back, as it was much better than Star Wars. However Lucas revealed his dark side, when he made all of those miserable little stuffed animals and assorted merchandising crap in Return of the Jedi. He sold his soul just in time for the Christmas season, making it even more wretched. The movie as pretty awful as well, the weakest and most melodramatic story of the entire series.

I have never watched episodes 1 through 3 of the prequel series. I anticipate ruing the day when my son makes me watch the prequels, and then starts bugging me for the toys.

i would agree that the ewoks made jedi insuferable at parts but i still think its a good movie and a good sendoff for the series. empire remains the best though.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject:

OK, I'm a big SW guy.

And I agree with everyone's comments:

- Annoying kid/Jar-Jar
- Too much CGI
- Darth says, Nooooooooooooooo!
- Wookies... again??
- Horrible script/acting/casting (but back off Portman - she's HAWT)
- Darth made 3PO (wtf??, out of all the things to build... OK, you live on a desert planet run by a Hut, so to help your slave mom with... what? fixin' the slop?, you decide to build her a protocol droid?? Great decision there, Sith :roll:)
- R2 with rockets?? (wtf??? Why you keepin' that a secret, R2? I'm sure we could have used that little trick of yours on Hoth or when we were bustin' out Jabba's Palace.)
- Ewoks killing Stormtroopers with rocks. (I mean really... rocks? Why even wear the armor at all? If it can't protect me from rocks, how is it gonna help me against BLASTERS??)

So, yeah. I know. Plot holes here. Plot holes there. Plot holes, plot holes everywhere.
But still, I love it. I love the whole story.

But, regarding Phantom, Clones and Sith, if you remove all the "Jar-Jar factors," cut all the fat, remove all the useless scenes and you just look at the big picture - the main, CORE storylines - to me, it's a really amazing story.

There are really two very cool, complex, intertwining storylines going on...

- The way Palpatine/Sidious played both sides to create a way to get himself named Supreme Chancellor. And the way he created the war (not just to create the Clone army), but for a way to turn everyone against the Jedi, turn a Democracy into an Empire, and to take control of the galaxy, not only as the political ruler, but as a Dark Lord of the Sith. That's about as "Gangsta" as you can get!!

- The Prophecy said that a Chosen One will bring balance to the force. Well, Palpatine said his master was so skilled in the dark side of the Force, he had the power to "stop the ones he loved from dying"... and he could create LIFE (this line is spoken from Palpatine to Anikin, directly in his eyes. Almost as if to say, “He created you"). He created Anikin – and that's how Ani's mother had the "immaculate conception."

Palpatine’s master was fulfilling his place in the prophecy by becoming so powerful, he could create life - by creating Ani.
Palapatine was fulfilling his place in the prophecy by doing what he did to become the ruler of the galaxy and by creating Darth Vader (both happened as a product of the other).
Obi was fulfilling his place in the prophecy by taking him on as his Padawan learner.
Padme was fulfilling her place in the prophecy by falling in love with Ani and having Luke and Lea. (All of this was fueled by Anikin’s immense fear of loss – which is ultimately turns him into Darth).
The Empire was fulfilling it’s place in the prophecy by rising to power.
Yoda was fulfilling his place in the prophecy by training Luke.
Luke was fulfilling his place in prophecy by bringing Ani back from the Dark Side and bringing down the Emrpire.

So, in a sense, ALL are responsible in bringing balance back to the force - as the prophecy said.

So, yes, presenting the story could have been done a little better, but the main story that connects all 6 episodes is AMAZING.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

Just because the nerds came out for Star Wars doesn't mean it wasn't a kid movie. They came out for Harry Potter also, are you going to tell me those weren't kids movies either?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

Just because the nerds came out for Star Wars doesn't mean it wasn't a kid movie. They came out for Harry Potter also, are you going to tell me those weren't kids movies either?

That presumes I'm into the Harry Potter genre. I can't say I'm the least bit interested in finding out about the boy wizard, warlock, druid priest or whatever he is. I'm also not interested in watching Harry Potter movies. Thus, I'm the last person to tell you who is targeted by those books or movies.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

However, the majority of those Harry Potter nerds are in the 13 year old range, where as a huge chunk of Star Wars fans are well into their 30's.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

if the original trilogy was remade, I wouldn't see it. I'm still trying to forget I saw the prequels

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

no, they're not kids movies. they're not kids books either. they're books for everybody.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
- Ewoks killing Stormtroopers with rocks. (I mean really... rocks? Why even wear the armor at all? If it can't protect me from rocks, how is it gonna help me against BLASTERS??)

Quote:
- Darth made 3PO (wtf??, out of all the things to build... OK, you live on a desert planet run by a Hut, so to help your slave mom with... what? fixin' the slop?, you decide to build her a protocol droid?? Great decision there, Sith )

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:

What is strange is how this thread got hijacked.

My problem with Return of the Jedi was the crass commercialism, due to the seemingly gratuitous ewok toy tie-ins. It has nothing to do with the target audience of a motion picture, which like any PG-rated movie, can span both demographic and psychographic segments (and even attract segments that weren't even intentionally targeted). My displeasure with Return of the Jedi had everything to do with movie losing impact, in it's attempt to become "Disneyfied", by introducing cute little furry creatures with anthromorphic characteristics.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject:

What is strange is how this thread got hijacked.

My problem with Return of the Jedi was the crass commercialism, due to the seemingly gratuitous ewok toy tie-ins. It has nothing to do with the target audience of a motion picture, which like any PG-rated movie, can span both demographic and psychographic segments (and even attract segments that weren't even intentionally targeted). My displeasure with Return of the Jedi had everything to do with movie losing impact, in it's attempt to become "Disneyfied", by introducing cute little furry creatures with anthromorphic characteristics.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:

The Buss wrote:
buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

However, the majority of those Harry Potter nerds are in the 13 year old range, where as a huge chunk of Star Wars fans are well into their 30's.

That's because most of us grew up on Star Wars. We couldn't stay away even if we wanted to. I watched the episodes 4-6 with my son the other day and it cracked me up how corny and hokey it was. But back then they were the greatest movies ever made. And Yoda looked SOOO fake. Say what you want about CGI, but Yoda was badass in the latest 3.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

no, they're not kids movies. they're not kids books either. they're books for everybody.

Sure they are.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

Sure they are.

the harry potter books are pretty dark and scary for kids...especially the newer ones.

as for star wars...i can see how someone can argue that episode 1 was for kids. the original trilogy? no way. i think you're confusing entertainmnt that anyone can enjoy vs. entertainment targeted specifically for children. i'd bet that there are more adult star wars fans than kid star wars fans.

shrek? aladdin? lion king? movies for kids. harry potter and star wars? those are for everyone.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

Sure they are.

the harry potter books are pretty dark and scary for kids...especially the newer ones.

as for star wars...i can see how someone can argue that episode 1 was for kids. the original trilogy? no way. i think you're confusing entertainmnt that anyone can enjoy vs. entertainment targeted specifically for children. i'd bet that there are more adult star wars fans than kid star wars fans.

shrek? aladdin? lion king? movies for kids. harry potter and star wars? those are for everyone.

Again, how old were these 30 year old fans when they saw the original 3? And now they watch the latest 3 and hate them. Meanwhile kids who are their age now LOVE the new Star Wars trilogy.

Robots, furry creatures, aliens with mystical powers, and these AREN'T kids movies? Who you trying to kid?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

Sure they are.

Again, how old were these 30 year old fans when they saw the original 3? And now they watch the latest 3 and hate them. Meanwhile kids who are their age now LOVE the new Star Wars trilogy.

Robots, furry creatures, aliens with mystical powers, and these AREN'T kids movies? Who you trying to kid?

people didn't like the prequels because they sucked.

my little brother who was 9 when the first prequel came out does not like them either. he likes the original trilogy much better. can you really not see the difference in quality between both trilogies?

as for your sweeping generalizations of robots, furry creatures, and aliens with mystical powers... i suggest you go watch the terminator movies, alien, predator, 2001 and pan's labyrinth and then come tell me those are kids movies.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

The coolest thing about ROTJ was the super star destroyer. My favorite ship of all time. To get destroyed by one A-Wing=LAME. Just as lame as the Ewoks. Thats showing Lucas would sell his soul if he can make an extra buck. If I was the emperor, I would gather all the ewoks and throw them into ewok lake so they can go to a better place and not ruin the movie.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject:

matt damon as luke
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
The coolest thing about ROTJ was the super star destroyer. My favorite ship of all time. To get destroyed by one A-Wing=LAME. Just as lame as the Ewoks. Thats showing Lucas would sell his soul if he can make an extra buck. If I was the emperor, I would gather all the ewoks and throw them into ewok lake so they can go to a better place and not ruin the movie.

wasn't there a destroyer in Empire? I thought there was.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
matt damon as luke

What's wrong with Jason Bourne as Skywalker? Same "boyish" quality as Hamill had and he does action flicks...sounds like a perfect match. Ok, so who would you put in that role?
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
ocho wrote:
buduan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
oh sweet jesus no.

Sure they are.

people didn't like the prequels because they sucked.

my little brother who was 9 when the first prequel came out does not like them either. he likes the original trilogy much better. can you really not see the difference in quality between both trilogies?

as for your sweeping generalizations of robots, furry creatures, and aliens with mystical powers... i suggest you go watch the terminator movies, alien, predator, 2001 and pan's labyrinth and then come tell me those are kids movies.

Here is a small little difference. There is blood and rampant murdering in those flicks. People disappear or just slump over if they die in Star Wars. Another hallmark of a kids movie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: