Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liltinybus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
Side point: Did it bother anyone else in the second or third episode when Hart and Maggie are about to talk to their daughter about her drawings, that the game in the background is a Laker game against the Bulls obviously from the 80's, yet this takes place in 1995? I'm weird that way.

I couldn't tell who it was. It couldn't have been LSU?

Great show so for. "For just a little bit".

Maybe, but they were wearing the trademark short shorts from the 80's. No team college or NBA (other than John Stockton) were still wearing those shorts in 1995. It is a great show so far, I agree. Just a minor annoyance I caught and figured this was the place to share it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

liltinybus wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
Side point: Did it bother anyone else in the second or third episode when Hart and Maggie are about to talk to their daughter about her drawings, that the game in the background is a Laker game against the Bulls obviously from the 80's, yet this takes place in 1995? I'm weird that way.

Maybe, but they were wearing the trademark short shorts from the 80's. No team college or NBA (other than John Stockton) were still wearing those shorts in 1995. It is a great show so far, I agree. Just a minor annoyance I caught and figured this was the place to share it.

From my experience, the footage they used is likely not the result of a lack of attention to detail, but more likely related to the footage that they could get released. It's really tough to get footage released from the major sports leagues. And when you can, it's very expensive.

It also might have been a stylistic choice to emphasize the notion that the segment was in the past rather than stick strictly to historical timelines.

Buy from my experience, I would go with it was the footage they could get that best met their needs.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject:

doublepost

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
liltinybus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
liltinybus wrote:

From my experience, the footage they used is likely not the result of a lack of attention to detail, but more likely related to the footage that they could get released. It's really tough to get footage released from the major sports leagues. And when you can, it's very expensive.

It also might have been a stylistic choice to emphasize the notion that the segment was in the past rather than stick strictly to historical timelines.

Buy from my experience, I would go with it was the footage they could get that best met their needs.

That makes sense. The vast majority of the audience isn't even going to notice what was playing in the background. I just happened to see who was playing and was like, "Waaaaait a minute.."
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject:

liltinybus wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
liltinybus wrote:

From the distance of the 3 point line it looked like a college game, probably LSU. The show takes place in Louisiana. LSU had yellow courts until 93 or 94 when they added purple.

EDIT I took a screenshot of the game as seen in the show.

Here's a youtube clip of LSU vs Arkansas from 1992. Check out young Shaq!

Here's another screenshot, zoomed

That's LSU head coach Dale Brown

Last edited by C M B on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

C Montgomery Holmes.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
liltinybus wrote:

From the distance from the 3 point line it looked like a college game, probably LSU. The show takes place in Louisiana. LSU had yellow courts until 93 or 94 when they added purple.

I thought it was the Lakers at first, but then started remembering the LSU colors. There is a pretty good shot of the head coaches.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
C Montgomery Holmes.

You could say I'm a...true detective? I'll show myself out.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

When the groundskeeper says the parish added the school to his list, is parish Mr Tuttle? I dont know all the terms for reverends.
liltinybus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
liltinybus wrote:

From the distance of the 3 point line it looked like a college game, probably LSU. The show takes place in Louisiana. LSU had yellow courts until 93 or 94 when they added purple.

You have now removed the only thing that took away from my viewing experience with this show. I thank you and commend you, good sir.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by C M B on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
When the groundskeeper says the parish added the school to his list, is parish Mr Tuttle? I dont know all the terms for reverends.

Parish is the equivalent of county in Louisiana. He's a county employee, and the county only recently had him doing that piece of property.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Parish is the equivalent of county in Louisiana. He's a county employee, and the county only recently had him doing that piece of property.

Interesting. Possibly due to the task force trying to cover things up to protect the community...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
24 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Interesting. Possibly due to the task force trying to cover things up to protect the community...

No, it seems the school went bust, and only recently got picked up as a municipal responsibility, instead of a private concern. The task force is at the state level, not the parish.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

I like how the 2012 McConaughey gets a little more drunk each episode.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
if somehow Rust and Martin are not suspects, then I'd say, the two detectives investigating the new case are very ineffective. no point in asking about Rust and Martin's lives, why not just go straight to the point and talk about things related to the case...
3 episodes and they are mainly talking about the lives of Rust and Martin... very poor pacing. it's like when you cook and you try to be too chefy, you tend to miss bold flavors...

The discussion of their lives IS the pacing of the show. It is pretty evident that it is not getting in the way of the story, but it IS the story.

The show isn't about the murder. The murder is a vehicle for the lead characters' stories. Just like Breaking Bad wasn't a show about cooking meth. It was a show about a common man's descent into evil.

but the detectives are in it specifically for the murder.

I get the point why the need for the show to delve into the lives of the two lead characters... for one, well they are the lead characters.
but the detectives are in it for the murder. trying to catch a copycat murderer.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
24 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

No, it seems the school went bust, and only recently got picked up as a municipal responsibility, instead of a private concern. The task force is at the state level, not the parish.

Okay, I had to rewatch a few scenes to get all the characters right. So Tuttle is the governors brother, and showed up with a state trooper attempting to take the case away from Rust and Martin. A girl from the school his foundation owned went missing back in '92, and since the foundation abandoned the school.

Sometimes I get the feeling there is some kind of bigger cult ritual going on. They caught the "king" and make it look as though they got a psychopath on the loose, but in reality another king comes up. Thats one is a little more far fetched perhaps. This is part of the reason I love watching series as they come out. You have the week in between to let your mind imagine all sorts of scenarios.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

Watched all the episodes last night for the first time. I'm with you guys. Great show in every aspect. Dialogue heaven, all the minor characters, like the trailer park madam telling off Marty, then the little look between them when Rus and the girl come back and Marty's attempted selfdeception revealed here and there. Music, especially when they are driving some long highway that drum guitar snippet of sound. That locker room scene where Marty cant handle Rus telling him he smells wrong, and how Marty just doesn't want to face the truth about himself.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

just saw Dallas Buyers Club as well, great career year for Matthew.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Caught up on it. Wow.

The murder mystery, at least to me, is really secondary. What the two characters are going through, how they handle the little things, how they deal with non-work related things, that's why the show works, even if it might appear as too slow at first. And if the acting wasn't this damn good, it wouldn't be half as interesting. McConaughey has been just outstanding. Some of the lines he has to say about the meaning of life and religion are kind of cheesey, but his delivery somehow makes them profound. Harrelson's performance is completely different, but he's somehow believable. You'd think the reserved detective versus the controversial detective thing has been done to death, but they make it so refreshing. And the poverty, the misery, the dirt, the religiosity of Louisiana play a huge part. Just love it... Again, the murder? It doesn't matter to me who did it and why they did it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke - you're doing yourself a disservice by expecting some particular climax and counting down the episodes. Now, some shows were designed to be viewed this way, in which everything happens in the next episode i.e. Breaking Bad. Not this one. Just enjoy the show.

This is a show devoid of sex and violence to a great degree. Those two elements are there but not dominant. It's written to cause one to think.

I'm intrigued by the interaction of Chole and Hart. Where is it going? I saw a veiled interest from Maggie Hart for Chole. Will this take hold or was it passing?

It's on tonight. I'm going to take your advice CMB, must be first stages of Alzheimer, and not chase the show but let it come to me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Caught up on it. Wow.

The murder mystery, at least to me, is really secondary. What the two characters are going through, how they handle the little things, how they deal with non-work related things, that's why the show works, even if it might appear as too slow at first.

I think that's the intent. The story being told is definitely about Cohle and Hart. The bizarre nature of the crime being investigated is a way to ground a character study of two very different, yet equally imbalanced individuals. You just couldn't tell these guy's story with the vehicle of a straight forward homicide.

Quote:
And if the acting wasn't this damn good, it wouldn't be half as interesting. McConaughey has been just outstanding. Some of the lines he has to say about the meaning of life and religion are kind of cheesey, but his delivery somehow makes them profound.

That's what is drawing me in. Rust is clearly a man off the rails, but his eccentricities are the key to his insight. He's able to bring logic to a subject that is so twisted and seemingly incomprehensible because his personal reality has become so damaged. You see a guy who is so seemingly detached from reality, and yet that detachment has lead him to a genuine sense of assuredness. There's a relaxed confidence to his thoughts that screams, "call me crazy, but this is what it is".

[quite]Harrelson's performance is completely different, but he's somehow believable. You'd think the reserved detective versus the controversial detective thing has been done to death, but they make it so refreshing. And the poverty, the misery, the dirt, the religiosity of Louisiana play a huge part. Just love it... Again, the murder? It doesn't matter to me who did it and why they did it.[/quote]

That's why I love this show. It's taken the contrived and cliched vehicle that is two completely different cops who are reluctant partners and turned it completely upside down.

This approach would be prone to failure if it weren't for great writing and spectacular performances.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Caught up on the show. Really great acting. Matthew's character reminds me of a mix of Walton Goggins' Boyd Crowder and a darker version of Sherlock Holmes.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject:

http://truedetectiveconversations.tumblr.com/

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
http://truedetectiveconversations.tumblr.com/

That's just perfect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24
Jump to: