THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3685, 3686, 3687 ... 3700, 3701, 3702  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not at all. It's a valid description of why your analogy is not an entirely accurate comparison to what is going on it Gaza.

I think you should clarify.

I did exactly that in the post you responded to, and which you clipped out here.

Quote:
Because my understanding of your perspective is:

If guilty people hide beside innocent people. It is justifiable (not by international law, but your law) to kill everyone if the guilty people aren't willing to negotiate. Cause ... "it's complicated".

You're either not following long very well, or are being disingenuous:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I'm well aware of what international law says on the issue and, in fact, have posted it's verbiage in this thread in the past to demonstrate that Israel's action do indeed violate it.

You disagree with the Leahy Laws and believe we are 100% innocent for supplying tools for collective punishment when it comes to Gazans because "it's complicated". It's a perspective Blinken would never directly say.

DaMuleRules wrote:
I have always said that the US is complicit in what is going on and should do exactly that.

kikanga wrote:
If that is your perspect. I think it is a huuuuuge reach to avoid giving any accountability to the US for what is going on in Gaza.

It's not and I am not, as I have pointed out clearly.

Look, I totally understand why you feel you need to boil the situation in Gaza down to very simple terms. It makes it much easier to make bold statements and accusations about the people involved, or those trying to reasonably discuss it.

But the reality is, Hamas is not a handful of bank robbers who got chased by the police into a house occupied by a few innocent people. They are an internationally recognized entity who committed an act of war by attacking a NATION and slaughtering over 1,000 of it's citizens in a single day. They didn't just stumble into someone's home and hide to wait things out. They seized a couple of hundred hostages from that nation and then receded to carry out further attacks while hiding amongst it's own population.What's going on in Gaza is not a bank robbery gone wrong; it's a war. I don't know how much history you have studied, but civilians die in war; sometimes it's collateral, sometimes it's indiscriminate and sometimes it's intentional, as is the case from both sides in this Gaza offensive. Responding to that as a third nation, indirectly involved yet deeply entrenched with the situation with all kinds of political implications is in fact "complicated", no matter how much you want to diminish that word and dismiss that truth.

I'm as angered at Israel's indiscriminate attack on the people of Gaza as anyone. It's horrifying. I wish Biden had been more assertive in his handling of it all. But as someone who has been aware of the (bleep) up situation in that region since I was a kid becoming aware of world events a half century ago, I know that there's reason it's volatility has been an ongoing issue for far longer and that Biden's actions, no matter what they are, aren't going to change much.

Quote:
I think it is easier to say Biden did the right thing changing his stance slightly recently. But hey, to each their own.

I've already said that at least it appears he's heading in the right direction now, but wish it happened earlier.

I'm all for a spirited discussion that comes from an honest place. Feel free to get back to me when you are too.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

But the reality is, Hamas is not a handful of bank robbers who got chased by the police into a house occupied by a few innocent people. They are an internationally recognized entity who committed an act of war by attacking a NATION and slaughtering over 1,000 of it's citizens in a single day. They didn't just stumble into someone's home and hide to wait things out. They seized a couple of hundred hostages from that nation and then receded to carry out further attacks while hiding amongst it's own population.What's going on in Gaza is not a bank robbery gone wrong; it's a war. I don't know how much history you have studied, but civilians die in war; sometimes it's collateral, sometimes it's indiscriminate and sometimes it's intentional, as is the case from both sides in this Gaza offensive. Responding to that as a third nation, indirectly involved yet deeply entrenched with the situation with all kinds of political implications is in fact "complicated", no matter how much you want to diminish that word and dismiss that truth.

We do agree much more than we disagree on this topic.

Out of your most recent post. I could definitely debate you on how applicable my metaphor is.

But putting that aside. My main point of contention is the bolded. I don't like how alot of people. For example, Morning Joe, try to pretend this issue is so "complex", that if you understand the history, our position is defensible. I'm sure similar collective punishments in the past were justified similarly.

And what kinda dragged me into this conversation a couple days back was this quote.

DaMuleRules wrote:

We can only put some much blame on the Gen-Zers, their naïveté is fed by people who are older and should be wiser puppeting BS talking points blaming Biden for Israel’s independent actions and a media who fuels the “Both Sides” nonsense while ignoring Biden’s multiple successes.

Comments like the above. Makes it tough for me to bite my lip.

I think it is the opposite of naive. To acknowledge Israel has done what they've done in Gaza with the empowerment and backing of our government. And we (the US) have much room for improvement. Even now, Blinken's most recent comments this week are ... a problem.

I blamed you for strawman-ing my arguments in the past. And you just provided proof I did the same to you.

I will try to avoid that moving forward. Even with the bodies piling up. I will try to remember, we mostly agree on this conflict.

And I hope you try to avoid framing outrage over our involvement in this conflict as naivete.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 am; edited 5 times in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject:

Meanwhile, back at our own completely corrupt Supreme Court:

Quote:
Jo @JoJoFromJerz

Clarence Thomas’ wife helped plan the insurrection and Samuel Alito’s wife flew our flag upside down in support of the insurrection and these two men are about to help decide if the man behind the insurrection should be able to get away with murder.

Are you (bleep) kidding me?

Upside-down US flag flew at home of Justice Samuel Alito after 2020 election (Upside down flag was symbol for Stop the Steal, pro-insurrection.)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Sen. Durbin. I also think Justice Thomas should recuse himself. His wife was involved in the Jan 6h insurrection.

Sen. Dick Durbin says Justice Alito should recuse in Trump cases because of upside-down flag
May 17, 2024, 11:01 AM PDT

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Spoiler: They won’t recuse themselves.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Also meanwhile in our own country:

https://newrepublic.com/post/181707/trump-allies-plan-fbi-democracy

Quote:
Trump Allies’ Horrifying Plan to Undo Democracy for Good

A new report details how Donald Trump plans to turn the Justice Department and FBI into his personal attack dogs.

Quote:
New details have emerged of plans by Trump allies to dismantle democracy under a second Trump administration by packing the Department of Justice with Trump loyalists and shrinking the independent scope of the FBI. The plans, as detailed by Reuters, seek to craft a DOJ to advance conservative agendas, heavily curtail civil liberties, and impede investigations into corruption by Trump and his allies.

The plans laid out by Trump allies to convert the FBI into a politically charged conservative attack dog come from the authoritarian aspirations of Project 2025, a sprawling network led by conservative think tanks that comb through existing law to find loopholes and precedent for Trump—or any conservative president—to enact extreme right-wing policies and consolidate power at a moment’s notice.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Also meanwhile in our own country:

https://newrepublic.com/post/181707/trump-allies-plan-fbi-democracy

Quote:
Trump Allies’ Horrifying Plan to Undo Democracy for Good

A new report details how Donald Trump plans to turn the Justice Department and FBI into his personal attack dogs.

Quote:
New details have emerged of plans by Trump allies to dismantle democracy under a second Trump administration by packing the Department of Justice with Trump loyalists and shrinking the independent scope of the FBI. The plans, as detailed by Reuters, seek to craft a DOJ to advance conservative agendas, heavily curtail civil liberties, and impede investigations into corruption by Trump and his allies.

The plans laid out by Trump allies to convert the FBI into a politically charged conservative attack dog come from the authoritarian aspirations of Project 2025, a sprawling network led by conservative think tanks that comb through existing law to find loopholes and precedent for Trump—or any conservative president—to enact extreme right-wing policies and consolidate power at a moment’s notice.

This sounds awfully familiar. I'm sure there was a name for it back in Germany during the 1930's and 1940's. Trump can call his version State Security.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Spoiler: They won’t recuse themselves.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject:

University of California Unions strike because of mistreatment of Pro-Palestinian protesters

This isn't going away, despite flexing by big money alumni and pressure from grant funders.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject:

Here's an updated story on Professor Allan Lichtman. He has successfully predicted the last 9 out of 10 presidental elections. Based on his system right now he is picking Biden to win the election. He will officially make his pic in August.

https://chriscillizza.substack.com/p/this-man-has-nailed-90-of-presidential
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject:

MTG commented about Jasmine Crockett's eyelashes.
Jasmine owned her with Bleach Blonde, Bad Built Butch Body The entire video gives rise to the damage the Repuklicans now in charge can levy on Democracy. Parts of the video had me laughing.

Quote:
Marjorie Taylor Greene is a 'racist' with a 'bleach blonde bad built butch body' one Democrat says after her 'fake eyelashes' became subject of heated spat by boozing lawmakers at the Capitol
LINK

"Bleach Blonde, Bad Built Butch Body: Jasmine Crockett ROASTS MTG | Roland Martin

paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

To be fair, one of those intifadas was launched because Israel was prepared to give up its control, but due to groups not wanting it to happen and Arafat not being able to find a security partner regionally, he had to reject the agreement.

And fwiw, Gaza is not Egypt and the west bank is not jordan in part because neither wants them, given their history with the populations. Israel doesn’t want Gaza either, and neither does any other Arab nation.

Everything you said is correct. Outside of the bolded.

And nothing you said justifies the mass graves. Created by American weaponry, purposefully used by Bibi to not restrict civilian casualty (even though Bibi has the capability to do so).

I'm not trying to be confrontational. But I am sensitive to arguments that redirect the conversation away from the civilians on the ground being collectively punished.

If you disagree with the bold I do t know how to help, because the whole reason there is a Gaza Strip is because neither Israel nor Egypt want it. The two reasons Israel is there are that they were hit with a major attack and any country in the world would go in, and Netenyahu wants to keep it going because it delays him losing power. The very last thing Israel wants to do is occupy Gaza permanently because there’s no benefit there, unlike the west bank where there is territorial desire.

Fwiw, getting back to the original premise that Gaza is a sovereign territory and Hamas is its government, their attack on Israel requires and allows Israel to wage a pretty total war to end the capacity of that sovereign enemy to continue to wage war. Hamas can’t fight Israel straight up without hostages, both the Israelis and their own civilians, whom they care about even less than Israel does. And Israel, while it does have precautionary rules, does have the right of pretty total war which will include civilian deaths in the thousands, because Hamas has violated war laws first, and Israel is not constrained to just give up because Hamas has decided to fight from civilian areas.

There are lots of things Israel is doing that may or do violate rules of war, but most of the death toll is specifically related to Hamas decisions, because this is what they want (or rather, this is what their masters want for other reasons). They are genociding their own people, which is pretty par for the course.

None of this fails to hold Israel accountable to a lawful strategy and tactics, which I believe they are violating because they have moved from a response to a stall. But ask the German or Japanese civilians what happens if you attack another country and then fight street to street in your own cities. You get untold civilian casualties. And yes, the Allies also committed war crimes (some of the fire bombing for example). But they also killed hundreds of thousands of civilians legally under the rules of war.

not according to the Geneva convention of 1949 where they explicitly call out the right of resistence and armed struggle against colonial occupation forces as a protected right of occupied people.

General Assembly Resolution A/RES/38/17:

"Reaffirms the legitimacy of the struggle of peoples for their independence, territorial integrity, national unity and liberation from colonial domination, apartheid and foreign occupation by all available means, including armed struggle;"

An occupying force cannot claim self-defense.

"Article 51 of the UN Charter does speak to the right of self-defence, and it has outlined that an attack that would trigger self-defence must be committed by another member state and cannot have originated from a territory that is under belligerent occupation by the state that is claiming self-defence."

and finally, Gaza is not a sovereign territory. When you have your water, electricity, food and any movement of people controlled, you are not a sovereign territory. When you have fences around your border and survellence cameras into people's houses, that's hardly considered to be sovereign.

Last edited by paymonM on Sat May 18, 2024 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:

So is Israel allowed to defend itself from terrorists who target civilians for murder and rape?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
paymonM wrote:

So is Israel allowed to defend itself from terrorists who target civilians for murder and rape?

let me give you a crude analogy. You have indivdual A, who has a chokehold on individual B. Individual B swings at individual A to get out from under his chokehold. Individual A pulls out a gun and shoots individual B. Can individual A claim self-defense ?

now as far as your comment about "is Israel allowed to defend itself from terrorists who target civilians for murder and rape" do you really want to get into the math of how many civilian Palestinians have been killed, raped and imprisoned versus Israeli citizens going back to 70 years ago, or does your historical knowledge start on Oct 7th ?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject:

According to Cook political Republicans are strongly favored for senate control.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1791442051663298574?t=brwBkQNiT9X5conGwpV7nw&s=19
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject:

It was always going to be a tough map for the senate drones this election.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
C M B wrote:
paymonM wrote:

let me give you a crude analogy.

No, thanks. Not interested in gymnastics.

"no" would have sufficed.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:58 am    Post subject:

Trump talked about a 3-term presidency at the NRA convention. This guy is not going to give up power if he gets in.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject:

Helicopter carrying Iranian president crashed. Likely dead.

Already speculation online that it was an assassination.

Iranian president doesn't have much power anyway, as it's the clerics that rule that country.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Helicopter carrying Iranian president crashed. Likely dead.

Already speculation online that it was an assassination.

Iranian president doesn't have much power anyway, as it's the clerics that rule that country.

Assassination was my first thought.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
C M B wrote:
paymonM wrote:

let me give you a crude analogy. You have indivdual A, who has a chokehold on individual B. Individual B swings at individual A to get out from under his chokehold. Individual A pulls out a gun and shoots individual B. Can individual A claim self-defense ?

now as far as your comment about "is Israel allowed to defend itself from terrorists who target civilians for murder and rape" do you really want to get into the math of how many civilian Palestinians have been killed, raped and imprisoned versus Israeli citizens going back to 70 years ago, or does your historical knowledge start on Oct 7th ?

Crude, but effective. Hamas is no beauty queen . . . but they didn't appear in a vacuum.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

My nephew is a Morehouse graduate. He attended the commencement ceremony. He said some students and faculty peacefully protested with signs and garments. He said the slippage of young Black men's votes for President Biden is overly exaggerated.

BREAKING NEWS
Updated 3 hours ago
JOE BIDEN

Biden delivers Morehouse commencement speech as some students and faculty express pro-Palestinian messages

May 19, 2024, 2:00 AM PDT / Updated May 19, 2024, 7:49 AM PDT
By Nnamdi Egwuonwu

LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Sun May 19, 2024 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
paymonM wrote:
C M B wrote:
paymonM wrote:

Crude, but effective. Hamas is no beauty queen . . . but they didn't appear in a vacuum.

absolutely, no one is claiming that Hamas is a clean and humane organization, but if they were, would they survive ? And if conditions in Gaza were not so horrific, would there even be a reason for Hamas to exist ? And , if this is all on Hamas, then how does one expalin all the killings in the WestBank where there is no Hamas.

Now there are those who because of their simple minds believe that any complex issue can be responded with a quick "yes" or "no", otherwise its gymnastics, well, it's clear that they've been watching too many Piers Morgan shows
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Hamas is no beauty queen . . . but they didn't appear in a vacuum.

Exactly.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
paymonM wrote:
C M B wrote:
paymonM wrote:

absolutely, no one is claiming that Hamas is a clean and humane organization, but if they were, would they survive ? And if conditions in Gaza were not so horrific, would there even be a reason for Hamas to exist ? And , if this is all on Hamas, then how does one expalin all the killings in the WestBank where there is no Hamas.

Now there are those who because of their simple minds believe that any complex issue can be responded with a quick "yes" or "no", otherwise its gymnastics, well, it's clear that they've been watching too many Piers Morgan shows

The best way I've been able to address what you are talking about is comparing Oct. 7th to Nat Turner's slave rebellion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3685, 3686, 3687 ... 3700, 3701, 3702  Next
Page 3686 of 3702
Jump to: