THUNDER -at- LAKERS - 4/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DB:

What do you think Brooks will do to counter Kobe guarding Westbrook and what will PJ do to counter this?

Refs foul out Kobe and let Brooks shoot 50FT.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DB:

What do you think Brooks will do to counter Kobe guarding Westbrook and what will PJ do to counter this?

I'm guessing they are going to focus on Fisher a little more with some mismatches. We may want to go big if that gets abused.

They will probably tighten up their screen-roll sequences to catch us helping, work the ball to others cutting. They may also try to get Westbrook being more aggressive with speed into the attacking zone.

They'll also spend a lot of time trying to figure out how we took them apart on the other end. Good offense led to fewer transition opportunities for them. No blocks, no run outs. Fewer threes, fewer long rebounds.

I think they have their work cut out for them. Maybe they will get a parade to the FT line to help and our bigs will be neutralized a bit with fouls.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I'm guessing they are going to focus on Fisher a little more with some mismatches. We may want to go big if that gets abused.

They will probably tighten up their screen-roll sequences to catch us helping, work the ball to others cutting. They may also try to get Westbrook being more aggressive with speed into the attacking zone.

They'll also spend a lot of time trying to figure out how we took them apart on the other end. Good offense led to fewer transition opportunities for them. No blocks, no run outs. Fewer threes, fewer long rebounds.

I think they have their work cut out for them. Maybe they will get a parade to the FT line to help and our bigs will be neutralized a bit with fouls.

Paying attention to the game and the sets they ran, you notice that they really didn't try a lot of screen and roll with Westbrook. I think that will change. I don't think they'll look to do a high screen and roll, ala Wade or Lebron, because I don't think that would help much being that Kobe can go under the screen daring Westbrook to shoot. However, they may try to get Westbrook into some low screen and roll action. This is something the Boston Celtics often do as a means to get Rondo the ball in a more beneficial position closer to the basket to compensate for the fact that teams don't respect his outside shot. It would make sense then for OKC to potentially have Green and/or Harden play more PG to initiate their halfcourt offense where a transition opportunity does not immediately present itself so to give Westbrook a head start (the same way we do with Kobe).

Similarly, I think it would be very smart of Oklahoma City to have Westbrook play off the ball in the half court and run through/around multiple screens. You have him get the ball off the move within fifteen feet of the hoop where, once receiving it, he can make a quick move before the defense can react/adjust. By taking on this strategy, there's a pretty large list of positives to be had for them. First, you make Kobe chase him around, thus tiring Kobe out. Second, again, you get Westbrook closer to the basket where he's more comfortable, more likely to make his shots, and where he can make quick moves against a Lakers team that won't be able to survey the floor to react defensively. Consequently, the Lakers will be less prepared to react and more likely to foul as a result, thus also getting OKC to the line (as if they needed any help).

However, the key for us and everything we did well last night, on both sides of the ball, was dribble penetration on offense. When we get to the rim, we're less predictable than playing a simple post up game as we create mismatches, we create higher % shots, we get to the line more, and we minimize the chance for long rebounds, thus limiting the fastbreak opportunities Oklahoma desperately relies on to score (since, outside of Durant, their halfcourt offense is mediocre). Last night Kobe, Artest, and even Fisher were getting into the lane. A lot of that had to do with the fact that there are tons of lanes open due to how they are playing our bigs. The other reason was that we actually made transition offense a priority, getting to the rim on first break or second break opportunities before Oklahoma had a chance to set their defense and deny us. However, even in the halfcourt, the paint is open for our penetration if we can just get there (as we did last night). I think a big part of our success, aside from pushing the ball, was that Artest realized he can literally muscle his way in there Corey Magette style and then pass it off to one of our bigs for an easy hoop (which is preferable given that Artest has trouble finishing). We also saw Kobe, just like Pau and Gasol, look to get the ball off the move instead of just posting up. In fact, the entire team was constantly moving without the ball. As a result, Oklahoma city had trouble setting its defense and passing lanes magically opened up. Who would have thought, activity = easier offense? Wow.

If the Thunder change their approach next game, playing behind our bigs instead of front them, we will actually have a harder time because it will lead to more congestion inside and limit our penetration. I would not be surprised if this is the approach the Thunder take, preferring to make our big men passers to cutters and/or the perimeter guys rather than forcing our guards to make passes into the bigs for easy finishes. Therefore, it will be on us to adjust, which we could and still succeed, but that comes down to playing smart. If we consistently keep our bigs moving off the ball and moving the ball side to side, we should be able to get our bigs in good position, thus likely forcing more double teams and theoretically open up lanes for cutters. So long as we take advantage and actually look to cut, we should still get easy scores. The onus there is on Ron and LO to do so. Where the Thunder choose this strategy, it would also be great to get Gasol in the high post with either Artest or Kobe down low looking for Gasol, Bynum, and/or LO as a cutter. I also think the Gasol-Bynum high-low is something we could milk in that scenario as well.

The fact is we need to do only three things and everything else should theoretically fall in place - 1) take less than 15 3s, 2) box out (don't give up offense boards), and 3) run back on defense every time (limit their transition opportunities). If we do that, even expecting that we'll be worse offensively, we should still win. OKC's entire game and successes are predicated on us NOT doing those three things... the huge contrast between games 4 and 5 proved that.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DB: What do you think Brooks will do to counter Kobe guarding Westbrook and what will PJ do to counter this?
Wouldn't that force the Thunder to primary depend on Sefolosha (who has an inconsistent shot) for offense?
DancingBarry wrote:
That seems to be a good idea. With Kobe going underneath the screens hence forcing them to do S&R near the pinch post, wouldn't that force Westbrook to go more east and west while being nearer to the bigs that would force him to change his shots. Since it "appears that he is not as good as passer in traffic as DWill, CP3 and others - the Lakers would seem to be able to guard against that - especially with RonRon making it hard to get any passes to Durant.

Interesting scenarios that would be interesting to watch on Friday
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Paying attention to the game and the sets they ran, you notice that they really didn't try a lot of screen and roll with Westbrook. I think that will change. I don't think they'll look to do a high screen and roll, ala Wade or Lebron, because I don't think that would help much being that Kobe can go under the screen daring Westbrook to shoot. However, they may try to get Westbrook into some low screen and roll action. This is something the Boston Celtics often do as a means to get Rondo the ball in a more beneficial position closer to the basket to compensate for the fact that teams don't respect his outside shot. It would make sense then for OKC to potentially have Green and/or Harden play more PG to initiate their halfcourt offense where a transition opportunity does not immediately present itself so to give Westbrook a head start (the same way we do with Kobe).
With Green and/or Harden initiating the offense (along with RonRon guarding Durant) - that seems to force the others to be the main scorers which the Lakers would take every time. If the Thunder are hoping for Westbrook to do some cherry-picking and/or sneak out - the battle will be for the Lakers' bigs to get the rebounds and/or stop the initial pass after a Thunder rebound.
LakerSanity wrote:
Similarly, I think it would be very smart of Oklahoma City to have Westbrook play off the ball in the half court and run through/around multiple screens. You have him get the ball off the move within fifteen feet of the hoop where, once receiving it, he can make a quick move before the defense can react/adjust. By taking on this strategy, there's a pretty large list of positives to be had for them. First, you make Kobe chase him around, thus tiring Kobe out. Second, again, you get Westbrook closer to the basket where he's more comfortable, more likely to make his shots, and where he can make quick moves against a Lakers team that won't be able to survey the floor to react defensively. Consequently, the Lakers will be less prepared to react and more likely to foul as a result, thus also getting OKC to the line (as if they needed any help).
Good idea. This usually works with somebody like Ray Allen to get open for the short corner 3pt shots. If Westbrook gets the ball at the pinch post and with RonRon guarding Durant - he will probably have a short shot clock and need to make quick decisions knowing that Bynum and/or Pau will not leave much time.
LakerSanity wrote:
However, the key for us and everything we did well last night, on both sides of the ball, was dribble penetration on offense. When we get to the rim, we're less predictable than playing a simple post up game as we create mismatches, we create higher % shots, we get to the line more, and we minimize the chance for long rebounds, thus limiting the fastbreak opportunities Oklahoma desperately relies on to score (since, outside of Durant, their halfcourt offense is mediocre). Last night Kobe, Artest, and even Fisher were getting into the lane. A lot of that had to do with the fact that there are tons of lanes open due to how they are playing our bigs. The other reason was that we actually made transition offense a priority, getting to the rim on first break or second break opportunities before Oklahoma had a chance to set their defense and deny us. However, even in the halfcourt, the paint is open for our penetration if we can just get there (as we did last night). I think a big part of our success, aside from pushing the ball, was that Artest realized he can literally muscle his way in there Corey Magette style and then pass it off to one of our bigs for an easy hoop (which is preferable given that Artest has trouble finishing). We also saw Kobe, just like Pau and Gasol, look to get the ball off the move instead of just posting up. In fact, the entire team was constantly moving without the ball. As a result, Oklahoma city had trouble setting its defense and passing lanes magically opened up. Who would have thought, activity = easier offense?
I agree that the Lakers' constant movement on offense provided seams in the Thunder's defense that Pau took full advantage of many times. With RonRon running from sideline to sideline - instead of staying at the 3pt line (ala LO), the Thunder's defense had to constantly move that created seams and opportunities for RonRon to score (SHOCK!!).
LakerSanity wrote:
If the Thunder change their approach next game, playing behind our bigs instead of front them, we will actually have a harder time because it will lead to more congestion inside and limit our penetration. I would not be surprised if this is the approach the Thunder take, preferring to make our big men passers to cutters and/or the perimeter guys rather than forcing our guards to make passes into the bigs for easy finishes. Therefore, it will be on us to adjust, which we could and still succeed, but that comes down to playing smart. If we consistently keep our bigs moving off the ball and moving the ball side to side, we should be able to get our bigs in good position, thus likely forcing more double teams and theoretically open up lanes for cutters. So long as we take advantage and actually look to cut, we should still get easy scores. The onus there is on Ron and LO to do so. Where the Thunder choose this strategy, it would also be great to get Gasol in the high post with either Artest or Kobe down low looking for Gasol, Bynum, and/or LO as a cutter. I also think the Gasol-Bynum high-low is something we could milk in that scenario as well.
I think that if the Thunder plays behind Bynum and/or Pau - they will get killed. Bynum and Pau both run the court well while seeking good post position for them to either score or pass.
LakerSanity wrote:
The fact is we need to do only three things and everything else should theoretically fall in place - 1) take less than 15 3s, 2) box out (don't give up offense boards), and 3) run back on defense every time (limit their transition opportunities). If we do that, even expecting that we'll be worse offensively, we should still win. OKC's entire game and successes are predicated on us NOT doing those three things... the huge contrast between games 4 and 5 proved that.
The Lakers also need to bring the energy to EXECUTE and EXECUTE the Thunder while they are down. It has been stated on the radio with Mychal Thompson that the Thunder might be the hardest team they face before The Finals. Ironic that this might be a factual statement - while acknowledging that the Spurs would be a close second (since the possibility of facing them is very real)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: