LAKERS -at- SUNS - 5/25 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject:

My question is did anyone else notice how every time Odom went back into the game Gentry put in Frye?

Odom has a really bad habit of not guarding his man and not closing out fast enough, someone else must have noticed this and thus why a 3 point shooter goes back into the game any time Odom hits the floor.

Odoms defense tonight really killed us, you think it was Bynums fault? I disagree, I think we need more Gasol + Bynum at the same time...Odom has been killing us two games straight with his poor rotations and horrible chucking from the field.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:
My question is did anyone else notice how every time Odom went back into the game Gentry put in Frye?

Odom has a really bad habit of not guarding his man and not closing out fast enough, someone else must have noticed this and thus why a 3 point shooter goes back into the game any time Odom hits the floor.

Odoms defense tonight really killed us, you think it was Bynums fault? I disagree, I think we need more Gasol + Bynum at the same time...Odom has been killing us two games straight with his poor rotations and horrible chucking from the field.

There's a reason he was getting pulled off his man. They were trying to deny the pick and roll and cover the paint in rotations. Bynum's slow rotations and bad shows forced Lamar to help. Gentry was very specific about what they were doing afterward. They keyed on Bynum because it collapsed the D.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
My question is did anyone else notice how every time Odom went back into the game Gentry put in Frye? Odom has a really bad habit of not guarding his man and not closing out fast enough, someone else must have noticed this and thus why a 3 point shooter goes back into the game any time Odom hits the floor. Odoms defense tonight really killed us, you think it was Bynums fault? I disagree, I think we need more Gasol + Bynum at the same time...Odom has been killing us two games straight with his poor rotations and horrible chucking from the field.
There's a reason he was getting pulled off his man. They were trying to deny the pick and roll and cover the paint in rotations. Bynum's slow rotations and bad shows forced Lamar to help. Gentry was very specific about what they were doing afterward. They keyed on Bynum because it collapsed the D.
Do you feel that with Phil's belief that Bynum could "anticipate" where the Suns were going to do would have addressed this issue. Also, do you think that Bynum would be able to punish the Zone D on the offensive end? If not, why is he in there - especially when Fry is on the court (in addition, why isn't Pau and LO on the court when Fry and Amare on the court?)
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:

Then how did Houston play defense with slow-footed Yao Ming?

They were one of the top defensive teams in the league despite their center not being mobile. Whenever Yao left to help, Houston's scheme always managed to help Yao when he left to help while rotating to the open man.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Thanks DB

Re: Zone Defense
The Lakers just passed the ball around the perimeter without penetrating and/or passing the ball to a big in the post, hence the defenders don't have to move much for 20 seconds. When Kobe periodically had the ball in the post area, he was doubleteamed and made a pass to Pau for a basket. Since Drew doesn't know how to take advantage of the zone defense, why is he in there?

We had a lot of late clock shots from distance. Very similar to OKC in that regard.

When Drew is in there, if we aren't using him to expose the Suns interior, the Suns are using him to expose his lack of mobility. He did a better job getting some easy buckets, but even if Pau is playing like a wus...the team still played a +10 when he was on the floor. Got to get him more than 36 minutes.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject:

pisses me off. Kobe's played his best ball last 2 games...and no one has backed him up.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:

Then how did Houston play defense with slow-footed Yao Ming?

They were one of the top defensive teams in the league despite their center not being mobile. Whenever Yao left to help, Houston's scheme always managed to help Yao when he left to help while rotating to the open man.

I don't think I've ever seen Yao try to show on a screen 40 feet from the hoop like Bynum did. That's begging for trouble. He also had much better timing and smarts on his help D.

I don't think you'd see him show and recover as much as we have Bynum doing. He either stays under the screen to challenge and deny penetration (midrange game is there for the taking) or he would do a hard double, push the ball handler out and then try to recover. Either way, make no mistake, teams attacked that as the soft spot of the Rockets D. Certainly, if we had a guy like Battier roaming and taking charges that would help. But the Suns love to take threes and bomb away at record clips. They can spread the floor like few teams and mobility is vital in defending that.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
I thought LO played horribly. His stats are meaningless. He had that deer-in-the-headlights LO look on his face the whole game. He 's the master at rotating of the wrong guy, you know, the one who drains three after three after three.
I love how you single out LO who was one of the better players last night and forget about Pau getting his ass handed to him again by Amare and Drew who couldn't guard a light pole if his life depended on it. Not to mention Shannon and Farmar getting punked. Lamar can't be helping Drew out in the post and rotating to three point shooters. Physically impossible. As DB pointed out above.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
Sister Golden Hair wrote:
I thought LO played horribly. His stats are meaningless. He had that deer-in-the-headlights LO look on his face the whole game. He 's the master at rotating of the wrong guy, you know, the one who drains three after three after three.
I love how you single out LO who was one of the better players last night and forget about Pau getting his ass handed to him again by Amare and Drew who couldn't guard a light pole if his life depended on it. Not to mention Shannon and Farmar getting punked. Lamar can't be helping Drew out in the post and rotating to three point shooters. Physically impossible.

I didn't watch enough of last night's game to see much of LO's game. However, it was interesting that everyone was pointing the finger at Drew after the game 3 loss. IMO, LO was most responsible for the loss. However, I do agree that Pau played soft last night. After the refs failed to blow the whistle on a couple of contact plays in the 1st quarter, it looked like Pau was a bit frazzled mentally. Personally, I haven't liked the fact that Pau has been looking at LO and Drew EVERY time Amare has blown by him in the past 2 games. At some point, Pau is going to have to man up and do a better job of keeping Amare in front of him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: