SUNS -at- LAKERS - 5/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject:

Thank you LA, glad we won.
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, thanks Sasha, and of course Ron Ron ftw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject:

Great write up as usual, Barry.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject:

don't know why walton didn't get more minutes. i liked him today, even if he missed some easy shots. i think his touch will come back with playing time.

but he moved the ball very well and was the only one to take a charge (the off. foul was called on amare i think).

we need players like him out there against the zone

same can be said about sasha. great hustle, great effort, some nice shots, good defense. excellent minutes from him.

hope to see more of them in the next games (especially since brown is absolutely useless)

thanks db
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject:

D Fish played huge keeping the Lakers in the game at first. I think playing Sasha was huge. I figure he knew Drogs game since they both are from the same country. Kobe is playing as well as he has ever played. Pau was steady. LO played well but almost cost the Lakers when he stood and didn't block Nash out on the missed 3 and let him get his own rebound leading to the JR bank 3. My son and I screamed at the TV when this happened! JR made the same mistake and cost the Suns the game.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Great write up as usual, Barry.

Yup, thanks DB!

Note to Phil: More Sasha less Shannon please.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject:

jmark wrote:
D Fish played huge keeping the Lakers in the game at first. I think playing Sasha was huge. I figure he knew Drogs game since they both are from the same country. Kobe is playing as well as he has ever played. Pau was steady. LO played well but almost cost the Lakers when he stood and didn't block Nash out on the missed 3 and let him get his own rebound leading to the JR bank 3. My son and I screamed at the TV when this happened! JR made the same mistake and cost the Suns the game.

Lamar did have a nice pose after the nash missed shot.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:

I couldn't believe what I was looking at when Artest took that 3 with time on the clock and the lead.

I know you don't take that shot. I'm sure Trevor Ariza knows you don't take that shot. Hell, I've got a couple snails living in my plants that know you don't take that shot.

I was amazed Jackson left him in the game, but he and Ron and everyone in Lakersland got extremely lucky. Extremely.

Of course, the game shouldn't have got that close. As usual in these situations, the problem wasn't what happened at the end as mush as what lead up to it. So as much as I'd like to continue to pummel Ron, it wasn't all his fault. And he got lucky, or the mood here would be completely different.

The Lakers had an 18-point lead in the 3rd and promptly went into cruise control. Not something you ever want to see, but particularly not in the playoffs. Must stop now. Hopefully.

I'm with COCO!

Last edited by PopcornMachine on Fri May 28, 2010 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:

I couldn't believe what I was looking at when Artest took that 3 with time on the clock and the lead.

I know you don't take that shot. I'm sure Trevor Ariza knows you don't take that shot. Hell, I've got a couple snails living in my plants that know you don't take that shot.

I was amazed Jackson left him in the game, but he and Ron and everyone in Lakersland got extremely lucky. Extremely.

Of course, the game shouldn't have got that close. As usual in these situations, the problem wasn't what happened at the end as mush as what lead up to it. So as much as I'd like to continue to pummel Ron, it wasn't all his fault. And he got lucky, or the mood here would be completely different.

The Lakers had an 18-point lead in the 3rd and promptly went into cruise control. Not something you ever want to see, but particulary not in the playoffs. Must stop now. Hopefully.

Lakers just don't respect the Suns. This is why the foot is taken off the pedal way too many times.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject:

No one can ever tell me again that ALL things in life aren't black and white.

I think our defensive strategy is all wrong. Nash is the only player on their team who can consistently score one on one. Why not let him do it? At best, he'll get 50, so what?

If we tell our PGs to go under screens, make our bigs stay back to defend the roller, you'll have Nash shooting jump shots all night long and all the rest of the suns sitting on the perimeter with a hand in their face and no where to go. If Nash manages to still penetrate? Fine, let him, but stay on Amare, or Lopez, or whoever.

I can't imagine this team scoring 100+ without our defenders scrambling all over the place. We are trying to stop everything, but stopping nothing. Instead, we should make life easier on ourselves, make Nash a scorer rather than distributor, get the rest of the suns out of rythm, and put ourselves in better defensive rebounding position as a result (without the scrambling D, we would become much better defensive rebounders).

This was ALWAYS the formula against Nash and the Suns' style of offense... why go away from it now?

Offense - slow down the ball, work the clock
Defense - always get back on D (good transition D), NEVER help on Nash in the half court (make him a scorer).

Simple game plan - why have we gone away from it?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:

but he moved the ball very well and was the only one to take a charge (the off. foul was called on amare i think).

To be fair, DFish took one, too. A horrible call by the refs erased it. I was surprised how shocked I was at that bad call the second time I watched the game.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

This was ALWAYS the formula against Nash and the Suns' style of offense... why go away from it now?

Defense - always get back on D (good transition D), NEVER help on Nash in the half court (make him a scorer).

I feel like Phil will throw some of that in the next game. He didn't like all the switching we did. We'll see. It still poses a big problem late in close games. It would be nice if we could get our scoring back up versus the zone and not have it matter as much. Of course, keeping a lead on the road in an elimination game is hard to do.
thisiscrazy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject:

coop-a-loop wrote:
A W is a W. We made Nash a scorer today with all the switching, but he was able to make some incredible shots over the taller Pau. The Phoenix bench also played extremely well. Much better defense on Amare this team. There was help, and we limited his space to operate. Finally, we got some contribution, oustide of Odom, from the Laker bench. Vujacic was key in slowing down and frustrating Dragic..

Nash has played a lot of one on one with Dirk. More than any other 6' guard in the league I expect him to make those shots. They are almost automatic.

That said he doesn't have that shoot first mentality so let him shoot, if it keeps everyone else out of rhythm and out of the game.

Sasha was fantastic at being an annoying piece of (bleep). I have played against guys with that fake defensive hustle and lack of fundamentals and it can mentally take you out of the game more than someone locking you down just because its so frustrating you want to punch them in the face. Great defense just helps you focus.
It seems like a situational match-up for this series only but if it helps build his confidence so he hits his open shots when the offense releases to him that would be great
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

DancingBarry wrote:
lakerboy wrote:

To be fair, DFish took one, too. A horrible call by the refs erased it. I was surprised how shocked I was at that bad call the second time I watched the game.

ah ok, i missed that completely. when did that happen?

but yeah, fish is usually the only guy out there taking charges. our big man just aren't that type of guys or they simply can't read the opponent good enough to see where he drives.
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I feel like Phil will throw some of that in the next game. He didn't like all the switching we did. We'll see. It still poses a big problem late in close games. It would be nice if we could get our scoring back up versus the zone and not have it matter as much. Of course, keeping a lead on the road in an elimination game is hard to do.

after nash shot over pau for the upteenth time, i was waiting for kobe to guard nash. i'd like to see that on saturday.

as a sidebar...nash used to outplay dirk back in the day in dallas. i think that was a reason why he was so affective against pau. it was sickening to watch, but nash is a bad, bad man w/the rock in his hand.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:

The Lakers had an 18-point lead in the 3rd and promptly went into cruise control. Not something you ever want to see, but particulary not in the playoffs. Must stop now. Hopefully.

The best was the radio broadcast during that 3:

Spero: Artest's shot is off the back iron but Gasol with the rebound, back out to Artest
Mychal: NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!
Spero: And Artest with the 3..no good!
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:

The Lakers had an 18-point lead in the 3rd and promptly went into cruise control. Not something you ever want to see, but particularly not in the playoffs. Must stop now. Hopefully.

Spero: Artest's shot is off the back iron but Gasol with the rebound, back out to Artest

Unfortunately I didn't hear them, but I was saying the same thing as Mychal.

At first ecstatic that we got the rebound, then shocked that anything but running the clock was occurring.

I repeatedly compared Mr. Artest to a human rear end.

I'm with COCO!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
lakerboy wrote:

ah ok, i missed that completely. when did that happen?

but yeah, fish is usually the only guy out there taking charges. our big man just aren't that type of guys or they simply can't read the opponent good enough to see where he drives.

Sometime in the second quarter when the Suns were in the process of getting the lead back under control. Fish had that smile of disbelief on his face.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I thought PJ should have mixed in a bit of Kobe on Nash at the end. The switching was not that effective because Pau was giving Nash too much space, and Nash was in a rhythm. I wanted to see more Kobe on Nash or Ron on Nash.

Yes, Nash is shifty, but both of those guys have the length (and quicks) to recover and cause problems for him. With Nash, you want to make him a scorer, but you don't want to give him wide open looks. The most important thing is to cut off his passing angles, and to do that you can't play as far off him as Pau was playing on those switches.

Ron had a great steal off nash by crowding him, deflecting an attempted pass, and going in for a lay-up. That's how you stop Nash -- overplay his targets, cut off his passing angles by being aggressive on D. Don't give him easy jumpers (because he's too good a shooter). Make him work -- make him go around you and shoot on the move.

I don't mind Fisher on whomever Kone or Ron switches off of. If it's Richardson, yes he might be able to back Fisher down, but that's really not his game, and Fish is pretty strong.

I felt PJ was thinking he can live with Nash (because he figured sooner or later he'd miss on those jumpers over Pau/Bynum), but it was risky.

I'd rather be more aggressive on D.

SA beat the Suns all those years when in the close-out situation, it Was Bowen guarding Nash and hounding him into the-little-engine-that-couldn't irrelevance.

SGH
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
ocho wrote:

Unfortunately I didn't hear them, but I was saying the same thing as Mychal.

At first ecstatic that we got the rebound, then shocked that anything but running the clock was occurring.

I repeatedly compared Mr. Artest to a human rear end.

As long as Ron doesn't have the bonehead plays in crunch time, I think we can roll even if he has an off game. With Bynum not healthy, our margin for error gets a lot slimmer. But having a few other impact players lessens our reliance on Ron, offensively. That was the first time his mental game nearly got the best of us.

However, his work ethic and, yes, mental game, ended up saving the day, too. He didn't stand and watch (like Lamar seems to like to do). He saw Kobe not get a clean release, went after it and won the game. Pretty amazing.

He's been trying so hard to fit in and play his role, I'm glad his teammates were able to embrace him at the end instead of the opposite. Best moment of his career.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I believe what we saw last night were the best two offensive players in the game in Jobe and Nash. There isn't a single coverage these 2 can't obliterate because of their dribbling and shotmaking abilities.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:

i know i might get blasted for this but:

i had no problems with him taking that shot. of course, in retrospect it would be better had he gave the ball to kobe and let him run the clock. but there is no guarantee that running the clock would give you a good shot or a better shot then the one artest had. he was wiiiiiide open, had plenty of time to set his feet and release it.

and i am not saying this because he came up as a hero at the end. i would say the same thing even if we had lost this game. he went for the dagger, missed it. big deal.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
i know i might get blasted for this but:

i had no problems with him taking that shot. of course, in retrospect it would be better had he gave the ball to kobe and let him run the clock. but there is no guarantee that running the clock would give you a good shot or a better shot then the one artest had. he was wiiiiiide open, had plenty of time to set his feet and release it.

and i am not saying this because he came up as a hero at the end. i would say the same thing even if we had lost this game. he went for the dagger, missed it. big deal.

Just another case of "You make it, you're a badass, you miss, you're an idiot"

Ron managed to do both in 50 seconds of gametime. Thats what sports is all about.

!...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:

We can probably set up an open Artest three anytime we wanted and it's not like he was on fire. Running the clock down more in this situation sets you up for a potential two-for-one situation, as well.
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
We can probably set up an open Artest three anytime we wanted and it's not like he was on fire. Running the clock down more in this situation sets you up for a potential two-for-one situation, as well.

Absolutely. Terrible shot but he redeemed himself luckily.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: