LAKERS -at- SUNS - 5/29 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject:

DB - Thanks for another great recap! On to boston... we took OKC in 6, then Utah in 4, and then the Suns in 6. Time to beat boston in 4?

Tragic Dragic...

After watching and rewinding and watching again on DVR I've got to agree with DB's assessment, and that of many others, on the face-covering, EuroSoccer acting job Dragic threw. What a periwinkle. I know it was effective and the Suns rallied; but covering the face and pretending to be crying? Wow. Just wow. Paul Pierce comes to mind. That should be a flagrant 3.

Ron Ron and Kobe were both beyond human tonight. Also, I'm perplexed how Fish can stink so bad in the regular season, then suddenly play so good in money games. It's almost like he's doing this on purpose.

In the end talent won out this series. Plenty of motivation and ability to take this next series too. Good job Lakers!!
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject:

it wasn't even Sasha's elbow that hit Goran.........for the love of Floppy Divac.................I also thought there were some times in the fourth quarter that the team could have used Drew's defense
briancbati
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Sasha WTF?

K honestly I know that Sasha and Dragic are from the same country but that doesnt give you the right to go and do something like that... taken that dragic is a snatch and hollywood flopped when sasha put his hands up we still need to keep our cool and poise when the game is like that this... this is exactly what the suns and the suns crowd needed to get back in the game.... thank god for kobe for willing the lakers back into the game... but honestly sasha leave the rough act to the players who actually make a difference in the game... you honestly need to show more than that to pull a stunt like that... Im glad that no one is from slovenia from boston or we would be in big trouble...

BrianCBati

Check out my blog

http://www.lakers.briancbati.com
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject:

THANKS DB!!!! Back in the Finals for a 3rd straight year!!! Unbelievable!!!
ABynum17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject:

It's amazing how mental this game has become. And this makes guys like Kobe and Nash that much more dangerous. It's gotten to the point where circus shots and "38-footers" can be attempted and made, without flinching. And 3-point attempts seem preferable to attempting layups(as they can be physically contested, whereas attempting and making 3s is just a matter of overcoming the mental blocks, which coaches seem to have mostly removed).

I guess I'll do my part by pointing a mental trick, that I don't think any coach has, to this point. Now I was going to wait till game 2 to post this. But right now, it's tough to tell who'd win game 1. And I'm pretty sure that Doc won't be able to copy this, even if we "showed" it in game 1.

First, let me tell you at how I learned about this trick. If you had watched game 4 and game 6 of the Magic/Celtics series, you'll notice that even though the Magic came out playing extremely hard in both games, there was a subtle difference. There was a sense of urgency(on the offensive end) that they showed in game 4, yet ironically, did not show in game 6, even though game 6 was also an elimination game. In game 4, they played every possession literally like they were playing for their lives, and that split-second reaction allowed them to "outrun" the Celtics' D. This made me realize that there is a level beyond "game 7 effort" or "playing as hard as possible" that will allow you to move (a little bit) faster. What is that level?

Well, it is a physiological fact that when the body is in the flight-or-flight response, it releases all kinds of hormones that heighten/sharpen your senses. I've read stories(and that's plural) about how a father, in trying to save his son, is able to lift a car up. I've also read a story about a guy who jumped a 2-story building, but did not feel anything(initially). This tells me that you can go beyond your "natural" physical limit. Like Kobe said, it's mind-over-matter.

Now what if someone, say like Bynum, were to spend half an hour or even an hour before the game, to REALLY get these "fight-or-flight juices/hormones" up? Now try to imagine Bynum trying to defend someone in a P&R, with this juice constantly flowing, you can see that he'd actually be able to move faster, with his best effort, than he would otherwise, with just his best effort and being calm. In fact, I can even imagine him "gliding."

Naturally, one asks, what if the entire team did this, and so on. In theory, if enough people did this(and by that I mean millions), then it will cause a mutation where the release of these hormones is natural, and when you "try," you'll release even more of them, and so you'll get even faster, and that's how the human race can become "superhumans," but I digress.

The interesting thing is that when I try to visualize this on the offensive end, it'd also work. That is, if they were to take shots thinking that "if I miss, then I may die," while being in this "juiced up" state, then it'd also work. Just try to imagine us running a play where Kobe passes the ball to Ron, where Ron runs to his left, at the 3-point line, with Ray Allen chasing him. If Ron was convinced that it's a do-or-die shot AND playing with his juice up(in other words, assume that he's convinced that he IS playing for his life), then IMO, he'd make it, as opposed to feeling the pressure.

Boston's D is very good, but it's not shutdown. Watching the Magic series, they will give you JUST enough daylight to shoot. Obviously, Ron will not get the looks that he's been getting. Instead, he'll have guys running at him. The key is to think of something that will "ignore the defender." Now in addition to the above trick, I think being determined is another key. In fact, this is the mentality that I expect everyone to come out with(certainly, people on this board have been pretty good about trying to give motivation, starting from Bynum to Pau to Ron, and that CAN be a big advantage(see Mo Williams in game 6 Cavs/Celtics, luckily for us, he didn't do that from the beginning of the series, or we may be facing the Cavs right now), assuming that the Celtics don't do the same thing of course).

However, I think my trick will work even better, because it will block out the defender, even "at the last second of the release"(and much harder to copy. I mean, they can see how determined a guy is and eventually copy him, but not how much time he's been doing "juicing up.")

Another way is to make it a challenge of, "let's see if I can release the ball first, or whether you'll get to me first." However, when I try to visualize this, it'd only work for Sasha, and maybe Pau, I think. Ron's release is not fast enough.

Now, in order for any mental trick to be good, one has to ask, will it work on the Kobe vs. Pierce isos "consistently," which we will inevitably see, and is probably the key to this series? Unfortunately, Pierce defends Kobe better than anyone in the league. Now he's two years older, but so is Kobe. And Pierce showed against Vince that he can still defend as well as anyone.

That said, based on what I saw today, and in imagining how Kobe'd do with Pierce right in front of him, at the 3-point line, with his hand extended, I "think" being determined would work. I think Pierce would foul him.

What about a combination of "juiced up", "determined" AND "do-or-die" mentality? Well, in this case, I think he'd be able to score over Pierce at will. However, I can't say that for sure, until I see them actually matched up, and visualize it. However, I do believe that there is a combination
in there that will allow Kobe to "completely" ignore Pierce's hand.

What if the player was wide open? Ironically, when I try to imagine Ron being determined, it doesn't appear to work. I can see him as being "over-determined" and rims it out. I think if he's open, then he should just shoot, and not think of anything. After all, no need for mental tricks if there's no defender around(my juiced up and do-or-die mentality, however, does appear to work, that is if he can't completely fake "ignoring the mental pressure," caused by the intensity of the game.)

No one trick will work for all situations. The key is knowing how to adjust to them. However, even if my trick may not help offensively, it will help defensively. Just gotta get the body into that state of or "find a fear" where it HAS to release those hormones. Do it even when you're on the bench, and you will be sure to gain an "unfair advantage."

Finally, don't do anything that might get you suspended. And don't overwork yourself where you might get a cold that weakens your performance.
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I was fine with Sasha's antics, just disappointed with the way the refs handled it... as usual, home court advantage there. It almost cost us but maybe, had it been called differently, it may have worked more in our favor. Nonetheless, we have a new road to trek. Beat Boston!
sanko123
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject:

I hope we get to see utah jazz gasol in the finals!
godspeed
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject:

thank you db
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject:

@ABynum17:

Overcoming natural body limits to strength is indeed something that's possible. Elite level athletes can occasionally achieve it. The thing is, that instantaneous super strength comes at a heavy cost. A good example is avulsion fractures. The central nervous system places limits on strength to avoid injuries. It is normally impossible to force a muscle to exert so much force that it rips apart the bones to which it is attached.

A mother whose child is trapped under a boulder can move that boulder and save the child, then spend a lot of time in the hospital recovering from all the damage she did to her body.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
For what it's worth, I thought the whole situation with Sasha and Dragic was B.S. and am not as mad at Sasha as many are here.
It was a BS flagrant. Kobe's done that same move in the post for an offensive foul or two, but never a flagrant. Sasha lost his poise, though. That was the problem.

I like how Ron Artest put his arm around Sasha and tried to talk some sense into him afterward. What am I watching here? DFish was had that "you dumbass" look on his face on the bench.
Being emotional is what drives Sasha, being wildly emotional that opposing players can get underneath his skin is something else.

I agree with you both... but had the refs simply made it a technical (or, even better a "no-call"), it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful as it was. It was the difference between a 3pt play and a 6pt play.

I thought it should have been a double-technical. Dragic clearly goes up to him and taunts him after the make. The ref's rewatched the tape, they must have seen what led up to Sasha's arm maneuver. OTOH, I wasn't shocked when the Lakers were punished and not the Suns.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
the stench of Leprechauns is on the horizon

Evil, dirty, filthy, DEAD Leprechauns. Must stomp them into the ground and rip out their nasty green-blooded hearts.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
No Phoenix will rise from these ashes, the destruction is complete.

thanks DB

we've been on a crash collision with Boston ever since they beat the Cavs...and we're taking home the trophy this time!

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject:

12 bells...always getting louder.

kobe is a very, very bad, bad man.

earlier, this season, it didn't seem like meeting boston was in the cards. it really seemed like it was either going to be a magic rematch or the kobe vs. lbj series. i find myself pleasantly surprised for some reason.

someone made a thread of nba players and their tweets. chris bosh's was the one that stood out...something to the effect of, 'the lakers and celtics are meeting again for the 100000000000 time.' that was a fan-type response and i like when these players are able to be just people.

i can't wait for the finals. thursday won't come soon enough. i can't wait to read the db writeups for this upcoming series.

have any teasers, db?
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject:

I'm pleased with how the team is doing thus far, but frustrated that we can't have a healthy Bynum in this series. That sucks big time. I'm concerned with Pau's softness rearing it's ugly head against Mrs. Stoudemire. At least it happened before our first game against Boston. Maybe there's enough time to slap him around in practice and get him up to the war that's coming.

The series should be closely matched, and the disrespect we've gotten from the league's officiating crews is a huge concern. Today's game had a 1 FT difference, but the real story lies in numerous horrendous calls I and others cited in the game thread.

Steve Nash said something interesting in the post game interview, he said he felt we were the better team going in, but as the series went on he started believing they had a chance. The scary part about that is, your first impression is right 90% of the time, so what caused his impression to change? Obviously he's delusional if he didn't recognize what gave him that confidence was the horrendous, lopsided officiating giving them a boost every single time we gained an edge.

Is that going to continue in the Boston series? Are we going to have a repeat of 2008? I'd bet my life savings the Laker's are preparing for it... We've been here too many times this decade. Everytime we've faced an Eastern Favorite team, i.e, Detroit 2004 and Boston 2008, we were subjected to this type of officiating and we were so astonished we couldn't overcome it. I think the Laker's know what's up, and are determined to overcome it. Kobe and Ron willed us to victory over the refs, cough Suns, I think they're prepared to battle both vs. Boston.
inthepaint
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap DB. Even though I watched the game it's always good to read your perspective on the game. You call it the way you see it without sugar coating our players performances.

The four horseman continues their journey with green slim in their path.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I thought Phil should have used Bynum for 3 or so game minutes during the 4th (say the 8 minute mark to the 5 minute mark) - to get Pau back on the bench so he could regroup for closing time.

However, I believe Phil didn't play Bynum much (if at all) in the 4th in game 5 either. I'll assume its because of Bynum's physical limitations. If that's not the case, it was a mistake by Phil IMO.

For what it's worth, I thought the whole situation with Sasha and Dragic was B.S. and am not as mad at Sasha as many are here.

laker doctors have instructed the coaching staff to keep andrew's minutes under 30 minutes a game. andrew's knee swells during the game, and gets worse as the game goes on. if it wasn't for andrew's injury he would've been in there. phil's pulled pau in favor of andrew before, he did it in boston just this year.
Does Drew's knees get stiffed while he is on the bench? If so, would it be beneficial to have a stationary bike near the bench?

Does Phil think about saving some of Drew's 30 minutes for the end of the game by not bringing him till later in the fourth quarter - acknowledging that his timing might not be as good on defense, but his defensive presence might provide invaluable benefits.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I think Sasha got the flagrant foul for stupidity more than the force of his bicep. I'm not sure, but if a flagrant 1 is called, it's 2 shots plus the ball, but it wasn't Phx's ball at the time, so why did they have the chance for a 6 point play?

If Sasha's antics were a flagrant 1, KG's throwing not 1, but 2 heavy forearms to D12's forearms should warrant even more scrutiny. Looked like KG was trying to break D12's arms.

Man o man, is that Kobe good or what? Plus it looked like he was fouled on each of the last daggers he hit. Sometimes, I think the refs are so stunned he made an impossible shot, they forget to blow the whistle.

Nice for RonRon to step up when Pau goes MIA. Also, great games by our PGs. DFish has been huge all postseason. JoFar was in control during his stint, hitting 3s and dishing.
heatseeker08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
I think Sasha got the flagrant foul for stupidity more than the force of his bicep. I'm not sure, but if a flagrant 1 is called, it's 2 shots plus the ball, but it wasn't Phx's ball at the time, so why did they have the chance for a 6 point play?

If Sasha's antics were a flagrant 1, KG's throwing not 1, but 2 heavy forearms to D12's forearms should warrant even more scrutiny. Looked like KG was trying to break D12's arms.

Like I said, Kobe has done that in the past while posting up and been called for the charge. If you want to throw a tech in, okay. Flagrant-1? Seemed a bit much, especially rewarding the soccer dive and holding his face.

As for the 6-point play/possession. It might depend on if the ball was inbounded.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject:

John Ireland reported that Sasha apologized to everyone over the inflight intercom on the trip back to LA........lol.................this is the one time this season that I don't blame Sasha either......for the refs to have instant replay and still call that a flagrant is just ridiculous
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject:

DB, do you recall this (link) and when it was first released? Did you notice the references to the perpetrators standing in our way of a 16th championship? Only you and Alpha caught wind of that initially. Craziness!

"Repeatin' Ain't Eazy" - 2010 Revenge Tour is underway....
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject:

^ Yeah, I wrote up a big piece anticipating we would likely find each other somehow. Now it's time to take care of business.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject:

^

Time to lay the smack down on sewage, vomit, et, and garbage. There are no phones nor homes around these parts. Death riders be the workers. Taking care of business is what they do.

No suit. No tie. Just the Larry O'bry and the willingness not to die.

LAKERS LETS GO!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: