LAKERS -at- CELTICS - 6/13 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I'm not sure how you are able write these excellent summaries as it breaks my heart just to review select plays on the Tivo.

Awful game, and our bigs were continually uprooted by Boston's bigs. At some point you have to ask yourself what good is the triangle offense when the beautiful spacing on paper meets the harsh reality of a physical, loosely officiated game. Injury and defense has shut down the post scoring, and Kobe ends up taking circus shots in order to try keeping the game close. Even when I see Kobe hitting those circus shots I inwardly groan, as our defense isn't going to force the Celtics to take shots of equal difficulty. I knew this wasn't going to end well by the end of the third quarter.

Where's the coaching Phil? Why is it that this team is configured for finesse triangle play? Even Sheldon Williams who sits on the end of the Celtic bench could have given us more than what we've been seeing out of Lamar for most of this series.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
slaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
I want LO gone from this team.

His attitude has infected several teammates. I want him gone.

He's a cancer. I don't make that charge lightly. He's a cancer and a loser. The lakers are in a hole and he's one of the primary reasons. he just refuses to be consistent or show up for big games.

I can't wait until the team trades him ... for whetever they can get.

SGH

And Farmar, and Walton...

Those 3 guys poisoned us with their ranting back in January...

We're good, we're starters...

It infuriates me that those 3 clowns had an impact on us not making any moves at the deadline...
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject:

Scoring droughts like we've had throughout this series highlight whey I've pushed for Bynum to be featured more in the offense. I know he's injured now, but a healthy confident, experienced Bynum who's had his talent developed can score over this team all day long with ease.

Pau and LO have wilted under the physical strength of the Celtics but the key is the Celtic strengths are wrapped up in pushing the foul envelope, and daring refs to call them on it. Not one play went down without a Celtic foul on both sides of the ball. Pierce, Allen and Garnet were constantly committing offensive fouls by pushing off on offense while either handchecking, setting illegal screens or pushing off for rebounds. They are also hacking like out of control thugs on virtually every play toward the rim, and doing it with impunity.

If this is the way the refs call the rest of the series, then it's game set and match for the Celtics, and they will have made a mockery of the nba rules.

Last edited by Rick12322 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject:

A couple of things I'd like to see different.

One - Kobe not sagging off Rondo so much. Yes it works, but not all the time. What this is doing is allowing Rondo to move off the ball.

Rondo is getting too many loose balls, boards and a lot off the ball scores. Kobe doesn't stay with him off the ball nor does he have the speed to.

We shouldn't use Kobe as much as we do as a rover. Or maybe Kobe himself shouldn't do it as much. The point where you do that is to deny post entry or stop dribble penetration.

Two - Less switching. By switching our bigs so much we are forcing them to be out of rebounding position. I think this is hurting us a lot. Giving up so many rebounds costs a team big time. You haven't seen any monster games from our bigs nor any games where they controlled the glass outside of game 1.

On offense, we're not using the Kobe/Pau screen roll as much. This is something that works. What about the double screens? The Kobe-Pau-LO 3 man sequences?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GNC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject:

I have no idea how you did that write up..

hopefully the team gives you two more joyful ones.
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Scoring droughts like we've had throughout this series highlight whey I've pushed for Bynum to be featured more in the offense. I know he's injured now, but a healthy confident, experienced Bynum who's had his talent developed can score over this team all day long with ease.

Pau and LO have wilted under the physical strength of the Celtics but the key is the Celtic strengths are wrapped up in pushing the foul envelope, and daring refs to call them on it. Not one play went down without a Celtic foul on both sides of the ball. Pierce, Allen and Garnet were constantly committing offensive fouls by pushing off on offense while either handchecking, setting illegal screens or pushing off for rebounds. They are also hacking like out of control thugs on virtually every play toward the rim, and doing it with impunity.
If this is the way the refs call the rest of the series, then it's game set and match for the Celtics, and they will have made a mockery of the nba rules.

The Lakers coaching staff you send video to the league like the Celtics coaching staff done. It changed the series for them as far as what they can continue to get away with. It's time for the Lakers staff to hit back with psychology warfare.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject:

It's easy to say Phil was outcoached but he wasn't. This series changed when Doc was allowed to criticize the officials w/o a fine which Phil was reprimanded for before the series started. Since then Boston has been able to be much more physical on the blocks and offensively. The Allens are physically hand checking Kobe on the perimeter. Ray Allen is pushing Fisher and initiating contact almost every set. Pierce is chopping arms that aren't touching him and Perkins is being allowed to push everywhere. None of this is coaching.
-
The real issue is KG woke up and has beat Pau on both ends. That is opening doors for the Celtics offense and closing doors for us. Pau hasn't used his skills to open things up (hitting that 12ft jumper) and KG was hitting everything with a hand in his face yesterday. This team has to find it's defense and make free throws because the officiating will remain the same in LA. Every Boston win has come down to the last minute, execution and at least one terrible swing call in their favor. In our wins the game was over with 3 minutes left.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

One - Kobe not sagging off Rondo so much. Yes it works, but not all the time. What this is doing is allowing Rondo to move off the ball.

Rondo is getting too many loose balls, boards and a lot off the ball scores. Kobe doesn't stay with him off the ball nor does he have the speed to.

We shouldn't use Kobe as much as we do as a rover. Or maybe Kobe himself shouldn't do it as much. The point where you do that is to deny post entry or stop dribble penetration.

Two - Less switching. By switching our bigs so much we are forcing them to be out of rebounding position. I think this is hurting us a lot. Giving up so many rebounds costs a team big time. You haven't seen any monster games from our bigs nor any games where they controlled the glass outside of game 1.

On offense, we're not using the Kobe/Pau screen roll as much. This is something that works. What about the double screens? The Kobe-Pau-LO 3 man sequences?

All good suggestions. I'd also like to trap Pierce opportunistically when Ray Allen is out of the game.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:

we got home court. nothing to worry about. lakers just come and give it their best and we are good to go.
slaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

All good suggestions. I'd also like to trap Pierce opportunistically when Ray Allen is out of the game.

I'd like to see us bring in a scrub when Pierce gets hot and play hack a Rondo off the ball... That will shut Pierce down...
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:

By the way, everyone is focusing on Ron's missed free-thriows, but what about the Fts missed by Lo and Pau?

I'm amazed, fankly, that people are still defending these two. Pau I can understand, somewhat, because he's been good a lot of other times. But LO? Throughout this year's play-offs LO has been invisible.

But people still defend him, or blame others for his shortcomings.

It's just wierd.

BTW, excellent write-up, DB.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:

By the way, everyone is focusing on Ron's missed free-thriows, but what about the Fts missed by Lo and Pau?

I'm amazed, fankly, that people are still defending these two. Pau I can understand, somewhat, because he's been good a lot of other times. But LO? Throughout this year's play-offs LO has been invisible.

It's just wierd.

That was what? 6 points given away?

Once again, shooting yourself in the foot.

!...
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:

No idea where the Queensbridge guys went. RonRon went from being a one-way player to a no-way player by letting Drama Queen go off without resistance. He seems very distracted and uninvolved. LO had one of those 'meh' games when we really needed him to step up.

Now we have a day to reflect and refocus. Until yesterday, neither team could carry over momentum from one game to the next, but the Celts seems to have gained confidence while Kobe has grown more frustrated. Hopefully, his frustration subsides by coming home. If not, he might take the message-sending role of "I'm gonna see what you guys bring first" in game 6, and if the guys aren't battling from the get-go, it could be ugly.

It's really all about what the Lakers have learned since 2008. Lakers in 7.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

It's just wierd.

The team minus Kobe shot 9/17 from the FT line. Yep, that's good for 53%. It's like having Shaq shooting FTs out there... except he probably would've made them.
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:

i'll start by thank db for doing this write up under the circumstances.

i don't understand what i'm seeing. this team is reverting back to 2008 and that really is disturbing.

pau is having deja vu w/kb abusing him. ronron looked like he didn't know what he was doing out there. that game gave pp a lot of confidence. i thought ronron was more of a bad a$$ than that.

lo has no spine.

i do want to believe in this team. last night's performance makes it tough because i thought they have learned from the past, but they don't look like it at all.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

It's just wierd.

The team minus Kobe shot 9/17 from the FT line. Yep, that's good for 53%. It's like having Shaq shooting FTs out there... except he probably would've made them.

We've got various issues, but when you miss that many FTs like we did...you're are asking for the L. It bit us in the rear last night.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject:

ABynum17 wrote:
Will Phil allow us to go down with our best lineup? I mean, if we're going to allow Kobe to jack up those "desperation shots," then it seems pretty easy to me. In theory, they could hard-double Kobe, but that would allow Odom wide open paths to the baskets.

Furthermore, we can substittute for offense, when there are timeouts and free throw stoppages. We've definitely gotta do a better job on Pierce. Ron cannot guard Pierce at an adequate level at all, unless Pierce is tired.

Let's say we went with that lineup defensively, then you have Odom on Pierce, Kobe on Rondo, Artest on Allen, Bynum on KG(I think we have to make this switch now, especially if they allow us to play physical), Pau on Perkins. Tell Odom to play up on Pierce, and if they run any type of screen, either-on-ball-or off ball for Pierce, then we can just simply switch.

The biggest problem would probably be Allen, but we can just switch out and play basically a "domino-style" defense. Then whoever guards Perkins runs to the basket, Artest stays with KG, just in case Allen decides to drive on the big.

Now there are probably a ton of other fun things you can do with this lineup, but unfortunately, without seeing it in action, it's tough to think of them, especially offensively. However, if we do switch out for offense, whenever there are stoppages, then it's probably not urgent anyway.

Many problems with your suggestion

LO cannot guard Pierce - period.

Kobe is still inviting Rondo to shoot the outside shot

If Artest is having problems with P&Rs (which is rubbing off Artest), this problem will be worse when he guards Allen who goes through multiple screens.

Bynum has periodically been on KG but he will be beaten on the dribble or quick moves

Pau can't keep Perkins off the boards. This was supposed to be Bynum's job.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
thanks, DB
once again we find ourselves playing the game that our opponents decide: once again our coach doesn't have countermoves. it's obvious that thibodeaux doesn't have any problem with the triple post offense, but we never try to play transition, and we never try to play p&r trying to find some room for kobe and to involve gasol.
biggest problem is our mental attitude, and once again it's evident that our coach's legendary motivational power is history. you can play badly, it happens, but you can't play with the weakness, the cowardice, of gasol and lamar, especially with kobe playing not only as a superhero but with such heart and pride
Uh, the Lakers are mostly playing P&Rs since the ball is rarely going into the post. The 4-3 P&Rs are not working because Pau hasn't figured out how to get opened since he is constantly being bumped out of his favorite position(s).

In Game 5, it is a little early to get into the players' faces since it won't leave much room for Game 6. Pau had one of his rare off-games and LO has been totally inconsistent - or consistent in not showing up in the playoffs.

He has shortened Shannon's PT while giving Sasha more.

He has given Luke PT while shortening Artest

He has given (forced) LO more PT and he hasn't produce

He has given Farmar more PT with the hope that he will get his rhythm.

When Phil starts using DJ/Powell, it is a sign of weakness in the early games. Though if Drew continues to struggles and LO is the Invisible Man - DJ might get some few minutes. If Artest continues to be 0-100, Powell might bet some PT.

It is hard to plan an alternative strategy when rebounds are knocked out one's hands, or making mental mistakes, getting outhustled, etc. DURING THE FINALS.

Did the Celtics' take all the non-Kobe Lakers' hearts? The non-Kobe Laker players should be embarrassed when their leader is showing them how it is done and they can't "man-up!"

Game 6 will be interesting.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject:

can we not play zone tomorrow night. their jump shots were killing us in the beginning.
ABynum17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Pau doesn't have the bulk to set good picks, unless he moved, but he'll get called for it. He has more range than Bynum, but that doesn't mean much, because KG can easily recover.

Bynum seems to look bigger every game, so I would use him to set picks exclusively(or even post him up against Perkins more). His defender, Perkins, is also not as good as KG at hedging and recovering.

But you can tell that Doc has been superior at looking at the details. He's been able to know how exactly to attack our lineups with Pau and Bynum, and then Pau and Odom(I think we need to limit this lineup, when Pierce is still on the floor), whereas Phil still has yet to figure out how Kobe can attack Tony Allen, much less Pierce, consistently.
ABynum17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ABynum17 wrote:
Will Phil allow us to go down with our best lineup? I mean, if we're going to allow Kobe to jack up those "desperation shots," then it seems pretty easy to me. In theory, they could hard-double Kobe, but that would allow Odom wide open paths to the baskets.

Furthermore, we can substittute for offense, when there are timeouts and free throw stoppages. We've definitely gotta do a better job on Pierce. Ron cannot guard Pierce at an adequate level at all, unless Pierce is tired.

Let's say we went with that lineup defensively, then you have Odom on Pierce, Kobe on Rondo, Artest on Allen, Bynum on KG(I think we have to make this switch now, especially if they allow us to play physical), Pau on Perkins. Tell Odom to play up on Pierce, and if they run any type of screen, either-on-ball-or off ball for Pierce, then we can just simply switch.

The biggest problem would probably be Allen, but we can just switch out and play basically a "domino-style" defense. Then whoever guards Perkins runs to the basket, Artest stays with KG, just in case Allen decides to drive on the big.

Now there are probably a ton of other fun things you can do with this lineup, but unfortunately, without seeing it in action, it's tough to think of them, especially offensively. However, if we do switch out for offense, whenever there are stoppages, then it's probably not urgent anyway.

If Artest is having problems with P&Rs (which is rubbing off Artest), this problem will be worse when he guards Allen who goes through multiple screens.

Bynum has periodically been on KG but he will be beaten on the dribble or quick moves

All you're doing is making assumptions, without actually visualizing the players and how the plays can develop.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject:

ABynum17 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ABynum17 wrote:

All you're doing is making assumptions, without actually visualizing the players and how the plays can develop.

Look forward to your views on how it will work in your scenarios

On the "one-on-one" matchups, the above-listed problems have been exposed
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:

ABynum17 wrote:
But you can tell that Doc has been superior at looking at the details. He's been able to know how exactly to attack our lineups with Pau and Bynum, and then Pau and Odom(I think we need to limit this lineup, when Pierce is still on the floor), whereas Phil still has yet to figure out how Kobe can attack Tony Allen, much less Pierce, consistently.
Doc has a deeper bench, especially when LO/Shannon/Farmar have been inconsistent on the road (hopefully a saving grace) or (amazingling enough) not in the game. (see "Mr. Lucky" - aka "Mr. Invisible")

Kobe's issues is not Tony Allen. Tony Allen is "bodying-up" Kobe and he is doing the appropriate counter, driving past him. The issue is the 3 Celetic plays meeting him in the paint leaving stationary Lakers who are standing around. If anybody is rolling towards the paint and/or cutting to the hole for layups, Cs will have to be more honest in guarding Kobe.

With the Cs having more beef, will Phil bring in DJ for short spurts in the middle?
ABynum17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ABynum17 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ABynum17 wrote:

Look forward to your views on how it will work in your scenarios

On the "one-on-one" matchups, the above-listed problems have been exposed

Expose what? For example, you think that just because Ron struggles to keep up with Pierce on the P&R, that means he'll struggle to keep up with Allen, well let me ask, how well do you think Fisher would do, trying to keep up with Pierce on the P&R? The answer is no chance.

You need to learn about certain defensive principles. In most situations, pretty much size wins. That's why you can't assume anything about Odom against Pierce, just because he played bad against Davis. If he guards Pierce, then he'll have the size advantage AND there'll be two bigs to back him up(in theory, he COULD still guard Davis, by playing up on him, if there were two bigs behind him, but that's not important here).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: