CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 12/19 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Burgundy wrote:
I have news for everyone...this is a lottery team.

You're basing this on one preseason game, one week into implementation of a new offense and defense? When we have the best frontcourt and SG in the Western Conference? Think man, think.

I don't agree that we are a lottery team but I also don't believe we have the best frontcourt in the WC. Sure, in theory and as individual pieces maybe we do, but the way Pau and Bynum mesh together doesn't actually equate to the best frontcourt in reality.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject:

Good to see you back, DB. We're going to need your objective analysis more than ever this year.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject:

Three glaring problems, each of which could have turned this game around, combined could be the difference between a lottery team and a contender.

1. Seemingly no offensive plan. It was mayhem. The bad offense could be said to be the difference in the game, with 20 TO's producing 29 high percentage fast break points for the Clippers.

2. Perimeter defense was horrible, mostly due to lack of effort.

3. Obvious need for PG, to run and organize the offense, to be able to set up basic pick and rolls, to penetrate and pass or score and to defend PG's.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject:

Sputtering offense, missed assignments on defense, guys out of shape -- they played like a team that has never played together, learning a new system with a new coach, following a long lockout and cockblocked by an overlord exercising an unprecedented conflict of interest. Oh, wait... this is only preseason?

Nevermind.
LakerEidos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject:

At least you're way more objective than most posters on LG. Reading them, it would seem like everyone on the team was scrubs. Thanks for the recap and analysis.
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:

I just finished watching the game today again. Chris Paul is a one man wrecking crew man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject:

RVCdesigns wrote:
I just finished watching the game today again. Chris Paul is a one man wrecking crew man.

He was a one man wrecking crew when he donned a Hornets uniform against us in the playoffs. What a beast.
Burgundy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:

DzLaker wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Burgundy wrote:

You're basing this on one preseason game, one week into implementation of a new offense and defense? When we have the best frontcourt and SG in the Western Conference? Think man, think.

I don't agree that we are a lottery team but I also don't believe we have the best frontcourt in the WC. Sure, in theory and as individual pieces maybe we do, but the way Pau and Bynum mesh together doesn't actually equate to the best frontcourt in reality.

Come on, guys. I'm all for optimism, but this is a bad team. I would argue that this team is a lot closer to looking like the 2007 version of the Lakers than last year's version of the team. I'm not even joking.

The problem is, the Lakers don't have the 2007 version of Kobe anymore - he looks great, but he's not Mr. 81.

Take a look at the team:

PG - Worst point guards in the league, and it's not even close. The big problem is the Lakers aren't running the triangle anymore, so they can't hide their terrible point guards on offense by relegating them to catch-and-shoot three point shooters (which, by the way, they can't do that well, either).

SG - Kobe looks much better. He's still one of the best in the game, but you can't play him 40 minutes a game...especially not with this insane 66 game schedule with all these back-to-backs and back-to-back-to-backs. What's he going to look like by game 40? And while Shannon drove us nuts, at least he provided energy off the bench...Kapono is just not that guy. He's a great three point shooter, but truly, he barely belongs in the league.

SF - An epic disaster. The sad part is, the best small forward is probably a second year player, who was also a second round pick. Barnes is best served in the role he played last year - a 15 minute energy guy - he still can't shoot, and some of his explosiveness is gone post knee injury. Walton is a corpse out there. MWP is absolute disaster as "leader of the bench." I hate to say it, but losing MWP is probably addition by subtraction at this point.

PF - Pau is still one of the best in the game, but he's not the same Pau anymore. People need to realize that he peaked as a player under Phil because he is IDEALLY suited for the triangle. It allows him to find open spaces to get his shots, make smart passes, etc. In Mike Brown's garbage one-on-one offense, Pau gets overwhelmed by the defense, and gets pushed around. I like McRoberts as an energy guy - but like Barnes, he's ideally a 15 minute a game guy.

C - Has anyone seen a less impactful 15 and 12 in their lives? Drew needs to fulfill his destiny as a guy who puts up a 20 and 12 on a terrible team, because sorry, he's THAT GUY. And Troy Murphy? You mean the guy who couldn't see daylight on the Pacers or Celtics? That's our answer?

The issue is this team horribly matched for Mike Brown.

Brown needs a team of energy guys who work hard and can create their own shots (like those Cleveland teams).

Instead he's inherited Phil's team of lazy, "high IQ" players who play defense more by hitting their spots than by hustling and can't create their own shots, but can find open looks within the triangle.

A complete overhaul of the roster is needed.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject:

hellsling wrote:
Thanks for the recap. Doesn't look like you were affected by the lockout.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Just an FYI.

I will be a few hours late with the next game report. Also, I will be unable to cover the games on the 27th, 29th, 31st and probably the 1st.

Sooooooo.....

Anyone who wants to volunteer to do some write-ups then, that would be great. I've always wanted to get some different perspectives for the T&R as I think that makes for a better read over the course of a season.
lakefan24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Im sure someone will volunteer for you.
chickensandwich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject:

thanks db! i've missed these.

there was some good and bad in what we saw last night and so much of it was tangled up in looking sloppy on offense and defense and our own guys running into each other and fighting one another for rebounds that it looked especially hectic.

without kobe or pau on the floor, whatever offense they're trying to run just falls apart, and that's where i first thought about odom last night. i like mcbobs a lot, he brings the hustle and seems willing to fill whatever role is necessary, which is big. didn't see enough of murphy to go one way or another but he definitely wasn't detracting from the group like some others. literally cringed any time mwp touched the ball on offense. am liking kapono if only because he's after only kobe and pau in terms of guys who don't make me hold my breath when launching a shot. ebanks looked promising and i'm glad it seems like he'll be getting much more burn this year. based off this one game (i know, i know) i'd rather him lead the bench squad than mwp though i certainly hope mwp can get it together in time to be an effective role player. i thought blake did fine for what he had to work with and i hope he gets to run with both the starters and the bench squad. he's great at setting other guys up. i never know if the crowd is yelling 'luuuuuke' or 'boooooooo' when luke goes in, but at this point the two feel pretty synonymous.
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject:

I've missed reading T&Rs!

Thank you DB!
lakefan24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Burgundy wrote:

Some people just dont think at all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: