Netflix's True Crime Documentary: Making a Murderer (Warning: Spoilers Inside)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
The question I have is; who really killed Teresa Halbach (if not Steven Avery)?

The same guy it always is. The creepy ex boyfriend with stalker tendencies who was sweating on the stand. Ryan Hillegas.
He hacked into her voicemail after her murder!
He organized the search party that found the car on Avery's property!
And then was overly defensive when someone asked if it was him who found the vehicle personally.

#4 on this list. http://decider.com/2015/12/31/the-5-best-making-a-murderer-fan-theories/

I also think Mike Halbach (Theresa's brother) might know something he isn't saying. LINK

This reminds me of something that was said on the serial podcasts about Adnan Syed.

Steven Avery must be the most unluckiest man in the world to get convicted of assault, freed 18 years later, and about to win 36 million dollars but just happens to be the last person to see her alive before her ex-boyfriend kills her and the police just so happen to find the car and body and get the idea to frame him.

I mean what are the odds? I feel like he would have a better chance at getting struck by lightning three times.

Not the same imo. The sheriff's department was responsible for all those situations Steve was involved with. Not exactly unlucky if someone is forcing the hand.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

On the 2nd to last episode. I thought Avery's defense team was excellent. But seems that someone on the jury swayed the rest of them as one of the attorneys revealed that it was something like 7 innocent on the first jury vote (when they were deliberating).
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

The same guy it always is. The creepy ex boyfriend with stalker tendencies who was sweating on the stand. Ryan Hillegas.
And then was overly defensive when someone asked if it was him who found the vehicle personally.

#4 on this list. http://decider.com/2015/12/31/the-5-best-making-a-murderer-fan-theories/

I also think Mike Halbach (Theresa's brother) might know something he isn't saying. LINK

This reminds me of something that was said on the serial podcasts about Adnan Syed.

Steven Avery must be the most unluckiest man in the world to get convicted of assault, freed 18 years later, and about to win 36 million dollars but just happens to be the last person to see her alive before her ex-boyfriend kills her and the police just so happen to find the car and body and get the idea to frame him.

I mean what are the odds? I feel like he would have a better chance at getting struck by lightning three times.

Not the same imo. The sheriff's department was responsible for all those situations Steve was involved with. Not exactly unlucky if someone is forcing the hand.

Maybe if you think the police department killed Halbech. If you think someone else did it then the string of events that would have to happen is insane.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Maybe if you think the police department killed Halbech. If you think someone else did it then the string of events that would have to happen is insane.

I'm not sure the police killed her, but it appears they had all the motives and means to frame Avery for it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject:

I've watched the episodes up to the guilty verdict.

1. I don't think the prosecution met the beyond reasonable doubt standard. Doesn't mean that Avery did/did not do it, but I think a reasonable jury could have concluded that there were too many holes in the prosecution's theory. Not sure I believe the FBI administered test re: Avery's vial of blood. Seems it was rushed into evidence.

2. I'm shocked (but not surprised) about the coercion of the nephew during his interrogation. That's bush league ISH there and the fact that people had it recorded and watched it, and then decided to charge him, use him as a State's witness (and then not), and then go after him in trial shows he was a pawn.

3. I'm not certain how he will get out of jail. I don't think the appeals process will be successful for him.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

I'm not sure the police killed her, but it appears they had all the motives and means to frame Avery for it.

For the police to find a dead body and the last person to see her alive just happens to be Steve Avery is a pretty huge coincidence.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

For the police to find a dead body and the last person to see her alive just happens to be Steve Avery is a pretty huge coincidence.

What if he wasn't the last person to see her alive?
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

What if he wasn't the last person to see her alive?

Again if anyone else besides Steve Avery or the police killed Halbach then it's an insane coincidence and Steve Avery would be the unluckiest person in the world.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Actually, they don't KNOW he was the last person to see her alive.

Avery is only the last known person to see her alive.

I don't think the police were trying to frame Avery as an innocent man per se. I think they believed he was guilty, right off the bat, and then realized they would need more evidence to prove that in a court of law and manufactured some of it (i.e. the key).

The toughest part for me in this documentary, is that there just wasn't enough proof that much of the items were planted. Even the hole in the vial raises a lot of eyebrows, but, it's not proof the blood was planted. It is proof though that it COULD have been planted. If it had the EDTA in it, that would have been proof. If someone saw Lenk place the key, that would have been proof. I think the defense attorney's fought a good fight, and I do think Avery should have received a different trial in a different state because I believe he was doomed from the start.

Also, I think the blood evidence on the bullet fragment should have been thrown out.

You know what's weird? The lab tech who tested the bullet fragment, she tainted her own control by simply talking. That's how sensitive these tests are. She opened her mouth and tainted her control.

How does Avery/Dassey rape, mutilate, and slaughter a human being, and leave almost no physical evidence behind? That is very, very suspect to me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
How does Avery/Dassey assault, mutilate, and slaughter a human being, and leave almost no physical evidence behind? That is very, very suspect to me.

This is one of the ultimate red flags for me. If the murder was as brutal as it was described as being, how was the crime scene so immaculate?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

I'm not convinced that Avery didn't do it. But I'm not convinced he did it either, by any means. There are A TON of question marks, and the police obviously did an extremely shady job handling it.

The thing that really pisses me off is that Dassey got convicted. First, he's a mentally challenged 16 year old being tried as an adult. That itself is idiotic. But then there's theres the coerced conviction, and the umpteen times that he talked to his mom and told her that he was coerced in to saying it. Even as soon as right after his initial confession, he said "they got to my head", but that wasn't used in trial because the prosecution stopped the tape. And then there's the whole Avery trial, where the prosecution crafted a COMPLETELY different series of events to convict him (even throwing out 3 charges related to Dassey's confession).

So yeah Dassey having to go to prison is what really pisses me off. That's just insane to me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

The documentary is obviously shaded more towards Avery's presumption of innocence. But my take as an attorney, is that it showed just how unfair the criminal justice system was here, including the sheriff, the DA, and the court system.

The first public defender that Dassey got was an idiot. More concerned about publicity it seemed and he made the fatal mistake of having his client give a confession without him present.

But the very fact that police officers from a department that: 1) incorrectly or dare say intentionally framed him the first time; 2) was being sued by Avery was allowed to even set foot on the crime scene is a travesty of justice.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

If only charred bone fragments were found, how were the allegations that Teresa Halbach was raped and mutilated even possible? How did the detectives come to that and put them in Brendan's head?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
If only charred bone fragments were found, how were the allegations that Teresa Halbach was assaulted and mutilated even possible? How did the detectives come to that and put them in Brendan's head?

That's a good question. And how could the jury find him not guilty of mutilation of a corpse if the prosecutor stressed that she was burned to a crisp?
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't think theres a chance in hell Avery did the crime.

There was no blood spatter in the garage

they were supposed to have raped her on the bed, but there is no DNA evidence from either Teresa or Brendan

They supposedly used the chains to tie her up, but no DNA evidence there either

Just doesnt ad up. Avery is too stupid to wipe the supposed crime scenes clean.

IMO, either the police killed her cause they were watching Avery and saw an opportunity, OR

She was killed by someone else, colburn found the body (remember he called in the license plate BEFORE it was found in the salvage yard) and they saw an opportunity to blame the crime on Avery.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:

they were supposed to have assaulted her on the bed, but there is no DNA evidence from either Teresa or Brendan

IMO, either the police killed her cause they were watching Avery and saw an opportunity, OR

She was killed by someone else, colburn found the body (remember he called in the license plate BEFORE it was found in the salvage yard) and they saw an opportunity to blame the crime on Avery.

Agree. I think the online theory that Brendan Dassey's brother and Avery's brother-in-law Mike killed her and the cops helped them frame Steve for it. They both had access to the property, both were each other's alibis and both testified against Steve in their false time lines. Oh yeah, and it was reported that Mike was trying to sell the Dassey's .22 caliber rifle after the murder was committed.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:

they were supposed to have assaulted her on the bed, but there is no DNA evidence from either Teresa or Brendan

There was no real physical evidence but that only shows that the murder didn't happen the way the prosecution said it did. Still could have been Avery, who did it somewhere else, then burned the body in the pit.

But there's really no evidence at all to suggest Avery did it either. I mean, their property was massive.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Great link for funny/sad memes about the case.
https://imgur.com/r/MakingaMurderer
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Brendan explaining what happened to his mom on the phone is heartbreaking.
Quotes like:
"but mom, I'm dumb".
"I just guessed! ...like I do on my homework."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject:

Here's the hottest people in Making a Murderer. Hahaha.

http://brobible.com/entertainment/article/making-a-murderer-most-attractive-people/

They missed one. Dassey's postconviction attorney, the woman, was pretty cute.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
msb212 wrote:

There was no real physical evidence but that only shows that the murder didn't happen the way the prosecution said it did. Still could have been Avery, who did it somewhere else, then burned the body in the pit.

But there's really no evidence at all to suggest Avery did it either. I mean, their property was massive.

Well then the bullet with her DNA on it doesn't makes sense, since it was found in the garage. The whole story the prosecutors came up with ridiculous. No blood of hers anywhere in the house or garage., but that's where they slit her throat and shot her?

Let's pretend that this high school drop out and mentally challenged boy cleaned ALL of the blood up, even deep down in the concrete. Why then, would they be so careless as to leave her car on the property, even with the obvious access to a freakin' car crusher?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject:

I think there's a chance that other Averys (his brothers) or the creepy step father of Branden killed her and they all knew that the sheriff's department would jump at the notion and appearance that Steven Avery did it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
msb212 wrote:

Well then the bullet with her DNA on it doesn't makes sense, since it was found in the garage. The whole story the prosecutors came up with ridiculous. No blood of hers anywhere in the house or garage., but that's where they slit her throat and shot her?

Let's pretend that this high school drop out and mentally challenged boy cleaned ALL of the blood up, even deep down in the concrete. Why then, would they be so careless as to leave her car on the property, even with the obvious access to a freakin' car crusher?

I totally agree the argument the prosecutor's had was ridiculous. They changed their angle multiple times. First it was in the bedroom (at the presser), then it was in the garage, then, at closing, it was proof only "one man" could have done this crime but then the same guys go and prosecute Dassey.

The bullet with the DNA is odd to me too. If there is a bullet on the ground, then it must have exited her body, right? So what did the bullet strike then, before falling to the ground? Maybe it was there and they didn't show it, but, I'd imagine something to have a bullet hole in it, like the wall or a piece of furniture.

But "no chance in Hell" Avery did it? I don't buy that. I just think there is no evidence to prove he did. But there's plenty of evidence to suggest Avery was a suspect. He was obsessed with Halbach. He used trickery to get her out there. Her body (parts) was found on his property. He was the last known person to have had contact with her. Those are all reasons to consider Avery as a suspect. But, those things don't prove he killed her.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

I just finished it last night. Pretty riveting stuff. I finally read this thread because I didn't want any spoilers.

I read through the list of items on Avery on page 1 .... things the Documentary left out which would have skewed my feelings on the case.

My opinion at the end of the documentary ... the DA/Prosecution/Cops will do whatever they need to get their conviction. Avery comes off as a happy go lucky moron but "CREEPY". Do I think he's capable of murder, yes. Brendan sadly is probably better off in jail with his mental capacity.

I'm torn and have no idea what to think. I side with his attorney Strang who hopes Avery is guilty because it's sad/scary to see an innocent man screwed over by the justice system.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Great link for funny/sad memes about the case.
https://imgur.com/r/MakingaMurderer

This killed me

https://imgur.com/r/MakingaMurderer/PHSdyjF
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: