2017 Draft Class preview
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: 2017 Draft Class preview

In the event that we don't keep our pick this year, the 2017 class does have a decent amount of players to look forward to. Our pick next year would be maybe around #10? who knows.

Top of the class

Not much I can say about these 3 guys that isn't well known.

1. Jaysum Tatum 6'7 SF
The smoothest scorer in the class, has a jumper and all around scorer package. very good athlete. Average wingspan at 6'10 but great Standing Reach.

2. Josh Jackson 6'8 SF
Best wing athlete in the class. Solid off the dribble, but iffy jumpshot. Similarly to Tatum, average 6'10 wingspan but great Standing Reach.

3. Harry Giles 6'10 PF
One of the most highly touted PFs in the past few years. Unfortunately has the injury bug and has multiple ACL ruptures - currently sidelined. Great length. Great athlete after the first ACL still, but we shall see after this second one.

My Favorites

Thon Maker 7'.05" PF/SF? - ranked 25 on DX 2017 mock
Measured with elite length in 2015, 7'3 wingspan 9'3 reach
Extremely fluid for a guy his size, has the speed and quick leaping of a Small Forward. Flashes Small Forward skills , great ball handler for a PF, solid jumpshot. Good potential pairing with Julius Randle, SFs can't guard either guy and Thon can shoot. Weighs 220lbs, Nerlens Noel weighed 206lbs coming out of Kentucky, Thon looks like he can grow into a decent frame.

Isaiah Hartenstein 6'11.5" PF/SF - ranked 7 on DX 2017 mock
Wow this guy is the overseas draw in the draft. amazingly fluid athlete for a 7footer , long wingspan, nice Power Forward frame. Raw skills. Inconsistent jumpshot but the stroke looks good, decent ball handler but not quite a Small Forward ball handler. Very good rebounder.
Another guy who would be a good potential pairing with Randle - if we're talking about "tweener pairings"

6'10 Small Forwards

Jonathan Issac 6'10 SF - ranked 12 on DX 2017 mock
Fluid Small Forward athlete. solid shooter. very good ball handler and shot creator for a Small Forward his size. Leaper. Only a 7' flat wingspan

Malik Pope 6'10 SF, SDSU, not ranked on DX
By far the best athlete of the 6'10 SFs, even clearly better than Brandon Ingram. He has amazing quickness for his size, like a 6'7 6'8 guy. amazing leaper https://twitter.com/JordanCarruth/status/665350772998074370
https://twitter.com/ktrk_keller/status/577690602277457920
https://vine.co/v/OxvwqBe63lO
https://vine.co/v/OjXKpHvHgPL
Not having a good Sophomore year for SDSU after a good Freshman year (41% from 3), but has had two good games this week.
7'2 wingspan, with the quickness to be a very good defender at the SF position. Hopefully he turns into a good 3/D prospect at the least. In high school he was a great shot creator and off the dribble shot maker.

Kostas Antetokounmpo 6'11 SF/PF - not ranked on DX
The last dragon, I mean Greak Freak brother, same thing. Not a highly touted prospect, a HS Senior just beginning to play well and breakout. 6'11 after a very recent growth spurt. Solid athlete but nowhere near his brother, he's not fully developed athletically but still
I like the leg kick.
He can still get a lot more athletic, look at Karl Towns as a Junior in high school
barely dunking a lot of these dunks. Strength work in the coming years will do a lot for Kostas. halfway decent shooting touch. halfway decent ball handler.

Exciting Point Guard class.
De'aaron Fox (DX 4th overall), Dennis Smith (5th), Markelle Fultz (6th), Malik Monk (10th).
Fox, Smith, and Monk absolutely tear the rim off, like spectacular.

Fox the fastest with the ball in transition and also has the best handle we've seen in the last few recruiting classes. we'll categorize his leaping as better than John Wall.

Dennis Smith is the best 6'2 leaper I've ever seen maybe.

Malik Monk has the best length
, 8'7 reach, potential to be a SG too.

Fultz isn't so bad himself

Potential Centers

Ivica Zubic - 24th on 2017 DX mock.
7'1 18 year old Center playing the Adriatic League. 260lbs 7'4 wingspan.
Solid postgame upside, very good touch, runs his lane hard, can finish above the rim. Decent passer.
Very very good prospect. Will be a lotto pick next year if he forgoes this years draft. Best Center prospect in both 16' and 17' classes imo, better frame and length than Poeltl.

Jessie Govan - 28th on DX 2017 mock. Current Georgetown freshman. 6'11 thick 260lbs, 7'4 wingspan 9'3 reach. Not athletically peaked yet, he's slower and less athletic than he will be. BUT he supposedly has real skills that he's honing, shoots some 3s, 90% FT shooter, some attacks off the dribble.

Thomas Bryant - 19th on DX 2017 mock, but should not be higher than Ivica Zubic.
6'10 Indiana freshman. 7'5 wingspan 9'4 reach, extremely goofy, the most raw basketball player you'll every see.

Jonathan Jeanne - 7'2 195lb 18 year old overseas player. 7'6.5 wingspan. Won't be considered a Center unless his wingspan and reach grow a couple inches to Rudy Gobert levels.

Alpha Kaba - 29th on 2017 DX mock
6'10 7'5 wingspan 9'3 reach. Solid jumpshot. Good but not great athlete, won't be considered top 10 unless he improves into a Serge Ibaka athlete next year.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Hey if it doesn't work out next year, YOU KNOW WHO'S coming out in 2019! #legacy
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

My "IT" litmus test ... not on yet. HAHAHA

Let's see if I can find us another Porzingis!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject:

To me, Josh Jackson has the innate abilities to become a star.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Hey if it doesn't work out next year, YOU KNOW WHO'S coming out in 2019! #legacy

Wow never even knew his son was that old and good!

Can you imagine him doing all that shooting and his dad telling him "Little big fella, get your butt in the paint and go to work. What the hell are you doing shooting all them jumpers?".

He's 6'8 and growing. Interesting to see what position he'll play. Definitely looks more like a PF in the making than a low post Center.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject:

6'9" is perfect for a PF, if he adds on a few inches (quite possible) he can play the 5 a la KAT. Shareef's a sophomore now and he already has offers from USC, UCLA, LSU, Baylor, and Kansas State. Think he wants to stay in the Pac-12 though. Got an all-around game, his dad's height, but (thankfully) not Shaq's FT shooting.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

If Giles can stay healthy, he's the best pure PF prospect I've seen in years. He's Derrick Favors with early hints of Chris Bosh's offensive game. Love his personality and drive, as well.

Jackson has the near perfect frame and game for a SG. With a more consistent perimeter shot, he could develop into an elite two-way player. The problem for him is above the neck, though - how will he mature with money in his back pocket?

The other prospects I need to research more, but let me also throw out 6'4 Lonzo Ball in the top PG discussion with Smith, Jr, Fox, and Fultz. He needs to get a lot stronger at 176 lbs and he's got the funkiest sidearm playground jumpshot I've seen in awhile (that unfortunately goes down with enough success to keep him from changing it), but he's got a solid frame and wingspan (6'7), elite vision and playmaking skills, and an advanced feel for the game. He's getting a bit too much hype on the west coast right now, but old-school hoops scouts and HS sports journalists like Frank Burlison are putting Ball up in the pantheon of Cali PG greats Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, etc.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
If Giles can stay healthy, he's the best pure PF prospect I've seen in years. He's Derrick Favors with early hints of Chris Bosh's offensive game. Love his personality and drive, as well.

Jackson has the near perfect frame and game for a SG. With a more consistent perimeter shot, he could develop into an elite two-way player. The problem for him is above the neck, though - how will he mature with money in his back pocket?

The other prospects I need to research more, but let me also throw out 6'4 Lonzo Ball in the top PG discussion with Smith, Jr, Fox, and Fultz. He needs to get a lot stronger at 176 lbs and he's got the funkiest sidearm playground jumpshot I've seen in awhile (that unfortunately goes down with enough success to keep him from changing it), but he's got a solid frame and wingspan (6'7), elite vision and playmaking skills, and an advanced feel for the game. He's getting a bit too much hype on the west coast right now, but old-school hoops scouts and HS sports journalists like Frank Burlison are putting Ball up in the pantheon of Cali PG greats Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, etc.

Yea good name to throw in with Ball. He's got the size at 6'5 with an 8'5 reach and solid wingspan. He could def have a great year next year and be a lotto pick. Saw one jumpshot, looked like a mix between Kevin Martin and Randle but if it goes in so be it.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Harry Giles has 2 ACL tears, and he's still in high school. That has to hurt his draft prospects right? I'd be hesitant to take him if I had a top 5 pick. I'm interested in Thon Maker though, read a lot about him last year and he's definitely a unique prospect. I'm interested to see if he can live up to his hype.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Thon is dang near 21, already and raw. Overrated
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Thon Maker may be another unicorn.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Ya I like Thon a lot. Not sure hold old he is.. But in a couple years he could be a unicorn as Mike said
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ya I like Thon a lot. Not sure hold old he is.. But in a couple years he could be a unicorn as Mike said

I just don't see much in him. He really struggled in aau till the very end despite being two years older, plus i really don't respect his reputation for being a dirty player. Get your skill up instead of focusing on hurting players.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I just don't see much in him. He really struggled in aau till the very end despite being two years older, plus i really don't respect his reputation for being a dirty player. Get your skill up instead of focusing on hurting players.

Seems like you know a lot more about Thon and the younger ranks than me! I didn't know about his AAU rep, didn't even know the 2 year older age rumor was legit. I love his length, and the skills he flashes semi-consistently are really special at his size.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Do you have a problem?

70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

We've been watching that local kid, Lonzo Ball. He's quite an unusual big guard on a very unusual team.

Watch for him next year. I think he'll be one-and-done at UCLA.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

fultz has unique tools. like a fast twitch-ier/more explosive d'angelo out there
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
My "IT" litmus test ... not on yet. HAHAHA

Let's see if I can find us another Porzingis!

Or another McDermott, Thomas Robinson, Jeremy Tyler, or Jimmer Fredette. lol
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Jonathan Givony's scouting report on Josh Jackson from the 2015 FIBA U19's:
Quote:
Strengths:
-Has great size for the wing at 6-7 without shoes, with a 6-10 wingspan
-Added 10 pounds to frame in last year. Now up to 203 pounds. Looks like he should be able to continue to fill out more in time
-Tremendous athlete. Quick twitch. Fast. Explosive. Flies all over the court
-Amazing potential defensively. Can guard up to four positions. Great lateral quickness. Plays with a very high motor.
-Great instincts and anticipation skills in passing lanes. 3.3 steals per -40. Also blocks shots regularly, 1.4 per-40.
-Tracks down loose balls regularly on the glass. Excellent rebounder for a wing. 11.4 rebounds per-40 at U19s. 14.6 last summer at U17s. Especially impressive on offensive glass with quick second bounce and high motor
-Finds ways to score without plays being called for him. Got almost all his offense playing off the ball. Crashing offensive glass, running floor in transition, cutting off the ball
-Extremely effective in transition with combination of ball-handling, athleticism, length and motor
-Perimeter shooting stroke is showing serious progress. Didn't make a single 3-pointer in nearly 140 minutes of action at the U17s, but made 50% of his 3s at the U19s on a decent volume. Better shooting off the dribble at the moment than with feet set. But did a little bit of both in Crete
-Unselfish player. Makes extra pass. Shows some nice creativity with the ball, especially on the move
-Grabs rebounds and goes coast to coast

Weaknesses:
-Frame has a ways to go. Lower body in particularly is very skinny
-Perimeter stroke still has room to improve. 61% from free throw line at U19s. Career 57%. Not always on balance
-Reluctant shooter at times
-Needs to improve his advanced ball-handling skills. Dribble is a bit high. Fairly turnover prone trying to create own shot in the half-court.
-Struggles to get all the way to the basket. Can't always finish everything he creates due to lack of strength and polish
-Plays off his talent, not always off fundamentals. Can get a bit wild and out of control on both ends of the floor. Lives off his instincts. Somewhat tense and unpredictable. Shot-selection isn't always great
-Bites on pump-fakes. Gambles in passing lanes
-Body language isn't always great. Constantly talking to referees. Very emotional and reactive on the court
-At least a year old for his high school class. Will turn 20 during his freshman season in college.

Outlook: Super versatile wing player. Plays every position on the floor depending on which level he's operating at. Does a little bit of everything. Still raw and unpolished, but shows great flashes of talent in many different areas. Unselfish player who is extremely competitive defensively. Still remains to be seen just how high his ceiling is offensively, but at the very least will be a super versatile all-around player.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Is Lonzo Ball in the 2017 class?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Is Lonzo Ball in the 2017 class?

This years HS class, he's playing in the McD's game on ESPN right now
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

http://capstrategist.com/2016/03/31/2017-draft-prospect-rankings-mcdonalds-all-american-game/

Nice guy on twitter too.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Thon Maker Mic'D up

Thon Maker 35 Points

The Mic one was an ice insight into him, sounds like a really good leader out there. Also really like how quick he gets up off the floor and the explosiveness. That in addition to the range and defensive timing will be very sought after. Particularly with the success Turner's having right now.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

From what I saw, he doesn't move anywhere near as well or fluidly as Porzingis.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

From what I saw, he doesn't move anywhere near as well or fluidly as Porzingis.

Nope. He's more mechanical.

But Porzingis doesn't have Maker's ball-handling.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: