Thon!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Thon!

So, what do you guys think of Thon Maker's game and where he should go in this draft, if deemed eligible.

Mind my pro-Thon propaganda:

So, Draftexpress has him ranked in the 40s as a prospect in this draft - and they project him as an energy-big. With that said, he has a lot of "non energy-big" skills on the cusp - these particular skills are at the core of a huge disparity in how he's valued - between casual fans and draft bloggers.
The way I see it: casual fans are calling him a 7foot KD with a guard-handle / while Draftexpress isn't even listing his ballhandling in his "strengths" video , but they listed WCS' jumpshot in his last year.. I think the truth lies in the middle - his perimeter skills aren't polished and consistent, but they're CERTAINLY enough to factor into his upside to some degree.

quotes from a couple guys who cover the draft. Despite what DraftExpress says, it seems like Thon's stock is really up in the air.

Quote:
Sam Vecenie
‏@Sam_Vecenie
However this thing goes down, whatever. But Thon just made the 2016 draft a lot more interesting. Legitimately, his range is 5 through 60.

Olgun UlucVerified account ‏@OlgunUluc Apr 3
NBA scout on Thon Maker: ‘He has the opportunity to slide into the mid first-round, and maybe higher'

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixYS Apr 3
Make no mistake: Maker is an eye-popping talent. Seven-footer with guard skills. If he can get into the draft, he's going to go high in it.

Ed Isaacson
‏@nbadraftblog
@aloha_ripcity Thon(over Skal) Like his competitiveness and the way he runs the floor more than any thing that Skal does

In this draft, I'm strongly considering Thon at #3 because of his upside - and also I'm big on "fit". I think Thon will be able to play Center in a couple years, he's got 15lbs on Nerlens Noel when he entered the league.

Thon's new measurements recorded this week: height: 7'1, wingspan: 7'3.5" Reach: 9'5.5" weight: 225lbs

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:46 am; edited 3 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject:

wasn't aware that Thon was #1 in his class for some time as a Junior.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Thon's new measurements recorded this week: height: 7'1, wingspan: 7'3.5" Reach: 9'5.5" weight: 225lbs

That's his current measurements? Updated from where?

Athletic clay, good head on his shoulders, basic triple threat ability even if he lacks some hoop IQ...

That's everything expected of a high upside pick.

just concerned about hands. Not hand size, just catching in general.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

I remember seeing the Thon HS highlights on here awhile back. How's his D?

If he's got some good weakside help insticts, I'm down KiROE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

he looks pretty nuts.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I think Thon winds up on Boston. Ainge has enough picks to take the risk.

Hopefully he doesn't wind up in SA though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

He's filling out his frame.

I like how he communicates on the court
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I remember seeing the Thon HS highlights on here awhile back. How's his D?

If he's got some good weakside help insticts, I'm down KiROE.

I can't act like I know/have scouted him enough - but hell he's good clay on D. All the tools are their for being a great modern Center defensively - length, quickness to cover the lane and P/R, explosiveness, motor. love his potential
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Athletic clay, good head on his shoulders, basic triple threat ability even if he lacks some hoop IQ...

some big Canadian game, same source of his last measurements. on DX.
And the hands, I tend to trust skilled guys more to have good hands or develop good hands catching - and Thon qualifies as a skilled guy.

You said you were considering him at #2 over Ingram when he made the announcement to declare. That's what I'm talm' bout!

But yea the measurables are crazy.

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I don't see how someone doesn't take the risk on him in this weak draft top 10. I kind of don't see how he's passed at #3 or doesn't go top 5. It's just too much potential. Not like other guys are going to be impact players their first 2-3 years either; that doesn't happen often anymore, hello !!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

And the hands, I tend to trust skilled guys more to have good hands or develop good hands catching - and Thon qualifies as a skilled guy.

You said you were considering him at #2 over Ingram when he made the announcement to declare. That's what I'm talm' bout!

I understand why there are skeptics that project him in the mid to late 1st round.

But the thing is, they project him as an energy big.

That doesn't make much sense to me, especially when "energy bigs" don't try to create space with ball-handling and footwork from the perimeter, or drive downcourt after a defensive rebound.

I think he has A LOT to work on, especially in terms of reading the floor. Those hoop IQ issues are no joke. It's like Randle. He can pass, but he doesn't see the floor well, so he often drives straight into the defense or spins into the help D.

My biggest concern really, is Thon's total lack of base. He's willing to be physical out there, but the guy gets pushed around.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
22 wrote:

I don't see how someone doesn't take the risk on him in this weak draft top 10. I kind of don't see how he's passed at #3 or doesn't go top 5. It's just too much potential. Not like other guys are going to be impact players their first 2-3 years either; that doesn't happen often anymore, hello !!

Agreed. If I'm a GM barring some major red flags I take him top 5 at the moment.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I understand why there are skeptics that project him in the mid to late 1st round.

That doesn't make much sense to me, especially when "energy bigs" don't try to create space with ball-handling and footwork from the perimeter, or drive downcourt after a defensive rebound.

I think he has A LOT to work on, especially in terms of reading the floor. Those hoop IQ issues are no joke. It's like Randle. He can pass, but he doesn't see the floor well, so he often drives straight into the defense or spins into the help D.

My biggest concern really, is Thon's total lack of base. He's willing to be physical out there, but the guy gets pushed around.

Yea he's never going to be really solid(immovable). But he can get up to a weight to survive. Nerlens Noel doesn't have much of a base, and he survived playing Center at rookie year: 216lbs 2nd year: 223lbs 3rd year:228lbs
Thon is going to be 230lbs as a rookie, 2nd year in the high 230s - that should be enough to survive at Center.
He's putting on muscle pretty well, upper-body, but that can help him bang & shed guys rebounding. He's got the motor for it.
And we have a very good rebounding PF..

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject:

What's the difference between him and Skal?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
What's the difference between him and Skal?

Length ,skillset, toughness/motor. Thon has elite length for a Center, Skal has only above average length for a PF. Thon can put the ball on the floor like a SF, Skal has non of that. And Skal rebounded poorly because he doesn't wana bang and doesn't have a motor to write home about - Thon gets praised for his motor and can be aggressive on the glass. Thon also has more range on his J.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

cool little vlog of his, 1st portion a lot of speaking, last half a bunch of highlights

G. Deing from the Wolves did a camp with Thon and you can see Deing probably has a similar body type to Thon. Deing's calves and legs are looking small in that vid. lmao.
Dieng entered the league at 230lbs, Thon is at 225 said 230 is his goal for his next season. Deing is listed at 240 now.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

I like this Thon hype train. Dude has some promise
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yea he's never going to be really solid(immovable). But he can get up to a weight to survive. Nerlens Noel doesn't have much of a base, and he survived playing Center at rookie year: 216lbs 2nd year: 223lbs 3rd year:228lbs
Thon is going to be 230lbs as a rookie, 2nd year in the high 230s - that should be enough to survive at Center.
He's putting on muscle pretty well, upper-body, but that can help him bang & shed guys rebounding. He's got the motor for it.

It's not just about adding weight, but putting the weight where its' needed.

Porzingis is lightweight by height doesn't have these kinds of issues. Bynum used to really struggle, and it took him 2-3 years.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps a Giannis like trajectory for Thon?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Disagree. Doesn't have the hoop IQ, natural playmaking, or hands.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

Disagree. Doesn't have the hoop IQ, natural playmaking, or hands.

Oh I meant like a timeline before he becomes really effective. Not their skills on the court.

I'm actually having a hard time projecting what type of play he'll be style-wise since I haven't seen him in a live game.

If we ended up with him I'd hope he could have a ball-handling Myles Turner type game.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

It's not just about adding weight, but putting the weight where its' needed.

Porzingis is lightweight by height doesn't have these kinds of issues. Bynum used to really struggle, and it took him 2-3 years.

right, it's just good seeing guys with literally the same body type survive at C in today's NBA - Noel, Dieng. Quickness, coordination/non wobbliness - help a lot.
It will take a year or two, but I think his body should get there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

I haven't done much draft research this year, and I won't until I know if we keep the pick or not, but tentatively I have Thon at my number 3 spot. He can be a unicorn
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I haven't done much draft research this year, and I won't until I know if we keep the pick or not, but tentatively I have Thon at my number 3 spot. He can be a unicorn

same. I can actually see him being a borderline star one day. Refine some dribble moves,refine the J, improve your body - he could be a matchup nightmare for Centers. Really like his ISO and defensive potential, even has passing potential.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject:

If he's around at #32 ..... DO IT MITCH!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: