THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1404, 1405, 1406 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DiFi is the epitome of the old school Senator as Baron. With all the intransigent arrogance that implies.

She is certainly not the perfect senator but I would take her over, at least, 60 of the other senators representing the states. Again, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, and why not focus on a better target and attack those in the pockets, and doing the bidding, of big oil.

With Donald Trump as president, you are concerned about HER arrogance?

This is another non-story of the day where some insist on dividing the party. That is not how to get rid of the menace and leader of the Republican Party.

It's like pulling a leg off a millipede

Gouge out the eyes of this beast and the mind that fuels this divide
Between Human and Politician

Corporations were given personhood so politicians could treat them like people
If a Corporation is a person then how low are the actual HUMAN citizens
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DiFi is the epitome of the old school Senator as Baron. With all the intransigent arrogance that implies.

She is certainly not the perfect senator but I would take her over, at least, 60 of the other senators representing the states. Again, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, and why not focus on a better target and attack those in the pockets, and doing the bidding, of big oil.

This is another non-story of the day where some insist on dividing the party. That is not how to get rid of the menace and leader of the Republican Party.

Seems I'm not the only one who feels this way.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/02/23/2020-dem-candidates-se-cupp-monologue-unfiltered-vpx.cnn

With all of the Dem on Dem attacks . . .
Quote:
If I'm Donald Trump, I feel pretty good about my chances.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/02/23/2020-dem-candidates-se-cupp-monologue-unfiltered-vpx.cnn

Quote:

And then, over at Kos, as a direct response to the video, we get a diary that headlines:

Quote:
Is Sen. Dianne Feinstein Secretly a Republican?

Fortunately, the first response, a mixture of levity and concern. was:

Quote:
By the same token, is the diarist secretly a Russian bot?

Later came:

Quote:
Operation Divide The Left is in full force.

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Trump should feel good about his chances if Dems are going to behave like DiFi did with those kids. Even Trump has the good sense to talk about how precious children are. There is a reason the cliche of politicians kissing babies exists.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

New Jersey Senate passes bill to keep President Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns

https://kdvr.com/2019/02/22/new-jersey-senate-passes-bill-to-keep-president-trump-off-2020-ballot-unless-he-releases-tax-returns/

Quote:
The measure requires presidential and vice presidential candidates to release five years of federal tax returns to appear on the state’s ballot.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Trump should feel good about his chances if Dems are going to behave like DiFi did with those kids. Even Trump has the good sense to talk about how precious children are. There is a reason the cliche of politicians kissing babies exists.

If Trump tried to kiss my baby SS would have to stop me

There is no moral equivalency to Trump

Take him to a boy scouts jamboree and see if he respects children

Let one call in to the Santa hotline and have the President tell children Santa is just a belief and you are probably too old to still believe in Santa

Don't come at anyone saying they are looking like Trump

Dude paid his childs Boy Scouts fee with a donation from his charity
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

Have you raised children? Have you ever had to be stern with them? Did you ever have to burst their bubble about some of their idealism or naivete? Do you think these kids are so devastated that their lives are damaged forever?

I find it hard to believe you continue to have such vitriol if you watched the entire video. As I indicated, there are some moments where Diane had to be the stern mother, and a bit of old school seeking respect of her position as a senator and as an elder, as is common in many societies, but then there are moments when she was receptive and kind--the big picture, and not just a slice of it.

With what is going on with Trump and the Republicans, this is about #1,000,000,000,000,000,000, or so, on my list of issues to focus on.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DiFi: “You know what’s interesting about this group? Is I’ve been doing this for 30 years. I know what I’m doing. You come in here and say it has to be my way or the highway. I can appreciate your passion, but unfortunately the system just doesn't work that way. The system is all about finding a common solution that we can all agree to. Sometimes you have to settle for making incremental progress, because if you go for all or nothing, more times than not you get nothing.

Kid: I hear what you’re saying, but we’re the people who voted for you. You’re supposed to listen to us, that’s your job.”

DiFi: Absolutely, which is why I'm glad to be talking to you right now. How old are you?

Kid: I’m 16, I can’t vote.

DiFi: I represent the people of California, whether you voted for me or not, and whether you're old enough to vote or not. I'm YOUR Senator. And young people such as yourself have an unfair deal to start with. You can't vote for elected representatives, yet we're making decisions every day that will affect your financial and environmental future. That's why it's so important to me to make wise decisions that will improve the lives of future generations, and not just pander to those with money and votes today.

The red is what I wish my elected representative would have said in this situation.

Last edited by LarryCoon on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Have you raised children? Have you ever had to be stern with them? Did you ever have to burst their bubble about some of their idealism or naivete? Do you think these kids are so devastated that their lives are damaged forever?

I find it hard to believe you continue to have such vitriol if you watched the entire video. As I indicated, there are some moments where Diane had to be the stern mother, and a bit of old school seeking respect of her position as a senator and as an elder, as is common in many societies, but then there are moments when she was receptive and kind--the big picture, and not just a slice of it.

With what is going on with Trump and the Republicans, this is about #1,000,000,000,000,000,000, or so, on my list of issues to focus on.

She’s not their mom, she’s not their grandma. She’s a politician on camera with a bunch of children. This isn’t that complicated and there really isn’t any vitriol, at least not from my perspective.

I think she should be more tactful, and more aware of how she comes off when she does this, while you seem to think it’s not only acceptable, but preferable for her to do this instead of responding as a typical politician would. Ok then, we disagree.

We do agree that Trump is far worse in every way imaginable, so we have that going for us, which is nice.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

She’s not their mom, she’s not their grandma. She’s a politician on camera with a bunch of children. This isn’t that complicated and there really isn’t any vitriol, at least not from my perspective.

I think she should be more tactful, and more aware of how she comes off when she does this, while you seem to think it’s not only acceptable, but preferable for her to do this instead of responding as a typical politician would. Ok then, we disagree.

We do agree that Trump is far worse in every way imaginable, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

I have said that DiFi could have/should have softened her comments and that she is not a perfect senator so you're assessment is off base. My point is that the criticism is overblown for something so inconsequential. Save the criticism for real issues or let the Republicans and the bots attack Democrats, as they are doing with this very issue over at Breitbart--in two separate articles.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
For those, like myself, who do not have a crystal ball to know what is being talked about (above) regarding DiFi, here is the video, the long version that is not edited.

https://www.facebook.com/BayAreaSunrise/videos/2101109139978731/?t=668

I have a number of reactions of this, but I'll just say that while the short video, in particular, makes DiFi out to be out of touch, the longer one shows that while DiFi could/should have softened her comments after being clearly caught of guard, she did spend quite a bit of time, about 15 minutes, for an impromptu visit when she had another appointment, and instead of saying what the children wanted to hear, she gave the children a great lesson in how congress works, as opposed to pure idealism.

On the whole, I'll take an honest, realistic approach to the pure politician any day.

Sorry, but's exactly the type of BS platitude that Trump voters hung their hat on. That's not to say you are a Trump voter, just the comment is similar to the "justification" they used.

Feinstein is actually the epitome of "pure politician". And she wasn't being "realistic". She was being needlessly dismissive and condescending - which is very Trumpian as well. And she did so to kids. Her response wasn't to collection of adults who were pushing for legislation she disagreed with. Her response was to a group of kids who were asking an elected leader to consider their pleas to protect their future. Rather than a miserably failed "civics" lesson, a lesson in civility would have been much more appropriate. The only "honesty" involved was in her revealing her true colors. And those colors were not admirable - out of touch, arrogant and unreceptive.

The video(s) are just part of her history that reveal her to be exactly the dinosaur politician we need to clear out of the system.

If you are comparing Trump or the Trump voter to my statement that I will take an honest, realistic approach to the pure politician any day, we may as well stop trying to reach each other.

I would hope that after all this time it would be clear that I have nothing but respect for you. I stated that I realize that you are by no means equivalent to a Trump voter. I'm simply point out that the statement about liking "honest and real 'non' politician" is exactly the catch phrase that so many used to explain their support for Trump. And as an extension of that, claiming that Feinstein is an honest and realistic non-pure politician is similarly ironic.

I don't doubt the sincerity of your desire for honesty and realism from politicians who break the mold of our politics. Of course there is merit to that. It's Feinstein isn't that. It's indictment of Feinstein, not a reflection of your values. Hope that is clear.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

I watched Cupp's piece while it aired yesterday. And I agree with much of what she said. There's certainly a danger to infighting amongst the Dems and we need to be careful what narratives are presented and what we focus on. .

However, I don't see pointing out the horrible optics and poor leadership demonstrated by Feinstein's behavior with those kids as being the same as the infighting that Cupp was referring to, even though she attempted to draw the parallel.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Parent right here, so as one I can tell you that there is a way to be stern with children of all ages without being condescending and dismissive. In fact, condescension and dismissiveness kill the kind of confidence and inquisitive that need be nurtured. And one doesn't need to sternly burst a child's bubble to teach them the realities of the world.

What was demonstrated wasn't providing a solid example of truth and reality. It was needlessly and pointlessly dismissive and wholly counter-productive.

Whether there are bigger issues at the moment is skirting the issue. There's always an issue that is bigger than an other. That doesn't mean we should just slough of smaller issues. Especially when the issue is the example presented by our elected officials to our youth. My daughter, who is becomes voting age this June actually, approached me about this video and completely unprompted told me how appalled she was by Feinstein's handling of the encounter and how it reflects on why she and her peers feel that our current collection of elected representatives don't speak to, or for, her generation and in fact endanger the future that they are going to inherit.

So no, it's not the non-issue you seem to feel it is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Parent right here, so as one I can tell you that there is a way to be stern with children of all ages without being condescending and dismissive. In fact, condescension and dismissiveness kill the kind of confidence and inquisitive that need be nurtured. And one doesn't need to sternly burst a child's bubble to teach them the realities of the world.

What was demonstrated wasn't providing a solid example of truth and reality. It was needlessly and pointlessly dismissive and wholly counter-productive.

Whether there are bigger issues at the moment is skirting the issue. There's always an issue that is bigger than an other. That doesn't mean we should just slough of smaller issues. Especially when the issue is the example presented by our elected officials to our youth. My daughter, who is becomes voting age this June actually, approached me about this video and completely unprompted told me how appalled she was by Feinstein's handling of the encounter and how it reflects on why she and her peers feel that our current collection of elected representatives don't speak to, or for, her generation and in fact endanger the future that they are going to inherit.

First, I bet your daughter saw the doctored version that is deliberately edited to make DiFi look bad (and I wonder why you are not concerned enough to say something to condemn such a lowlife tactic, or to condemn the adults leading these children who barged in without making an appointment, and showing disrespect for the office and the person--I bet O'keefe, or the Center for Medical Progress were proud as heck). I also wonder if you watched the entire video as you keep cherry picking the bad, as though it was continual for 15 minutes, while ignoring the good.

As to raising children, maybe you are/were a better parent/person than I and most of us. Most of us say things imperfectly; we say things we regret. We are sometimes preoccupied or interrupted and not prepared and rehearsed to say things just perfectly. I have had to apologize when I said something wrong or said it with too much force. I bet Feinstein would say it differently if she had the chance or if she were not blindsided.

Maybe DiFi doesn't represent the youth in California, but she just won by over 8 points and a million votes for her sixth term. So she doesn't represent ALL Californians, just as Obama did not represent all Americans, but then who does.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

It’s ok to just admit she could and should have handled that far better.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

First, I bet your daughter saw the doctored version that is deliberately edited to make DiFi look bad (and I wonder why you are not concerned enough to say something to condemn such a lowlife tactic, or to condemn the adults leading these children who barged in without making an appointment, and showing disrespect for the office and the person--I bet O'keefe, or the Center for Medical Progress were proud as heck). I also wonder if you watched the entire video as you keep cherry picking the bad, as though it was continual for 15 minutes, while ignoring the good.

Both my daughter and I have seen the longer version. The larger context doesn't erase what occurred in the shortened version. The shortened version wasn't faked. Those were her words, her tone

Quote:
As to raising children, maybe you are/were a better parent/person than I and most of us. Most of us say things imperfectly; we say things we regret. We are sometimes preoccupied or interrupted and not prepared and rehearsed to say things just perfectly. I have had to apologize when I said something wrong or said it with too much force. I bet Feinstein would say it differently if she had the chance or if she were not blindsided.

I make no claim about being a perfect parent. I know full well I have handled many instances in less than productive fashion. But one thing I have always been aware of consistent about is never to belittle them or crush their idealism, regardless of my anger or disappointment. As for the Feinstein, if she somehow had a feeling "blindsided" that encounter, then she has a serious problem.

Quote:
Maybe DiFi doesn't represent the youth in California, but she just won by over 8 points and a million votes for her sixth term. So she doesn't represent ALL Californians, just as Obama did not represent all Americans, but then who does.

Not the point at all, as LC's post above about he would have hoped the conversation would have gone illustrates. No elected official is going to represent every constituent on all issues. The point is not disenfranchising those you don't.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

And it is also OK to not overreact over something so inconsequential.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Or to acknowledge that perhaps it is more consequential than you personally believe.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I think the reaction was reasonable considering who Feinstein is and how she handled it. We won't be talking about this next week, but we should be talking about it now. She could have handled that a lot better, but I'm not shocked that someone that will be 91 when her current term ends and has been a politician longer than I have been alive is a bit out of touch with the priorities of kids these days, especially about issues that will affect their future when Feinstein will be long gone.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Or to acknowledge that perhaps it is more consequential than you personally believe.

I was referring to the conversation not the issue--and you know it.

I just watched this for a third time. Every time I see it, I get more angry . . . not with Feinstein but with the adults who showed a total lack of respect for the office and the person, thought it was OK to just barge in, and then after Feinstein was initially fairly cordial, began with the interrupting and interjecting (we don't need to hear your elevator speech), using these kids as pawns, telling Feinstein how to think and how to vote and then informing her that the military spends a lot, all this after Feinstein told them of her resolution and she said she doesn't believe in their resolution. Then, afterwards, deliberately doctoring the video to edit out where there was civil conversation and with one of the teenagers being offered an internship.

I would suggest that they try this act with a Republican Senator (where the REAL problem exists), but they wouldn't get through the door.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I think the reaction was reasonable considering who Feinstein is and how she handled it. We won't be talking about this next week, but we should be talking about it now. She could have handled that a lot better, but I'm not shocked that someone that will be 91 when her current term ends and has been a politician longer than I have been alive is a bit out of touch with the priorities of kids these days, especially about issues that will affect their future when Feinstein will be long gone.

Yes, she is from my parents generation and they (as do most cultures) believe in showing respect for adults, and elders, especially elders in leadership. Would they barge into a courtroom and try to pull of such a stunt?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

I didn't. But thank you for clarifying.

As for your comments re the behavior/respect. I'm a firm believer that respect is only meaningful when it goes both ways. Respect for elders is certainly a good concept. But being older and more experienced is never an excuse to belittle those your junior.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

As for your comments re the behavior/respect. I'm a firm believer that respect is only meaningful when it goes both ways. Respect for elders is certainly a good concept. But being older and more experienced is never an excuse to belittle those your junior.

To this we agree.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

To this we agree.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed reading this article about the Feinstein encounter from The Atlantic.

Quote:
But it was the sanctimonious comments of one of the teenagers in the group that provided the astonishing highlight of the film. “Senator,” the young woman said in a patronizing voice, “we are asking you to be brave.”

Brave? She wants Dianne Feinstein to be brave?

Feinstein was the president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1978, at work in city hall on the day Dan White murdered Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone. She was the person who found Milk’s body and who announced the murders—calmly and with no indication of how physically close she had been to the danger—to the horrified city at an ad-hoc press conference an hour later. She was, by then, used to the confluence of violence and politics. She had previously been targeted by one of the lunatic revolutionary groups that operated in California in the 1970s, which attempted to bomb her San Francisco home and shot out the windows of her beach house. She served out the rest of Moscone’s term and went on to serve two full terms as mayor before her first senatorial campaign. You can say many things about Feinstein, but to suggest she lacks bravery is the assumption of someone who can’t imagine that old people have often had their characters forged by experiences in which they displayed great valor.

Quote:
The children had been taught that confrontation is the way to achieve political goals. But the senior senator from California knows more about climate science and American realpolitik than all the fifth graders in the world. As a woman who stormed into the male world of city and national politics when it was an actual boys’ club, she’s had to put up with more rudeness and bullying than many of us can imagine; she’s used to people underestimating her. If she’s going to lose any of her famous courage, it’s not because angry children showed up to teach her a lesson.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1404, 1405, 1406 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 1405 of 3673
Jump to: