THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1405, 1406, 1407 ... 3680, 3681, 3682  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
I enjoyed reading this article about the Feinstein encounter from The Atlantic.

Quote:
But it was the sanctimonious comments of one of the teenagers in the group that provided the astonishing highlight of the film. “Senator,” the young woman said in a patronizing voice, “we are asking you to be brave.”

Brave? She wants Dianne Feinstein to be brave?

Feinstein was the president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1978, at work in city hall on the day Dan White murdered Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone. She was the person who found Milk’s body and who announced the murders—calmly and with no indication of how physically close she had been to the danger—to the horrified city at an ad-hoc press conference an hour later. She was, by then, used to the confluence of violence and politics. She had previously been targeted by one of the lunatic revolutionary groups that operated in California in the 1970s, which attempted to bomb her San Francisco home and shot out the windows of her beach house. She served out the rest of Moscone’s term and went on to serve two full terms as mayor before her first senatorial campaign. You can say many things about Feinstein, but to suggest she lacks bravery is the assumption of someone who can’t imagine that old people have often had their characters forged by experiences in which they displayed great valor.

Quote:
The children had been taught that confrontation is the way to achieve political goals. But the senior senator from California knows more about climate science and American realpolitik than all the fifth graders in the world. As a woman who stormed into the male world of city and national politics when it was an actual boys’ club, she’s had to put up with more rudeness and bullying than many of us can imagine; she’s used to people underestimating her. If she’s going to lose any of her famous courage, it’s not because angry children showed up to teach her a lesson.

Actually, the biggest sanctionmousness there is the Atlantic article.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

You know who is awful? Tucker Carlson. So I have admit feeling a sense of schadenfreude watching this interview with Dutch historian Rutger Bregman.

You may remember Mr. Bregman as the guy on a panel with billionaires at Davos who basically said that the super rich aren’t paying their fair share in taxes compared to everyone else. (Forcing Michael Dell if my memory is right to talk about all the wonderful things he does through philanthropy.)

Well Tucker Carlson brought him on the show because Trump calls the people in Davos the Davos elite, flying in on private jets to talk about the horrors of climate change. Seem like a great fit for Fox, right. Wrong. Fox refused to air the clip and you can watch Tucker Carlson lose his cool:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1098282209834950657?s=21
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:

Quote:
But it was the sanctimonious comments of one of the teenagers in the group that provided the astonishing highlight of the film. “Senator,” the young woman said in a patronizing voice, “we are asking you to be brave.”

Feinstein was the president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1978, at work in city hall on the day Dan White murdered Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone. She was the person who found Milk’s body and who announced the murders—calmly and with no indication of how physically close she had been to the danger—to the horrified city at an ad-hoc press conference an hour later. She was, by then, used to the confluence of violence and politics. She had previously been targeted by one of the lunatic revolutionary groups that operated in California in the 1970s, which attempted to bomb her San Francisco home and shot out the windows of her beach house. She served out the rest of Moscone’s term and went on to serve two full terms as mayor before her first senatorial campaign. You can say many things about Feinstein, but to suggest she lacks bravery is the assumption of someone who can’t imagine that old people have often had their characters forged by experiences in which they displayed great valor.

Quote:
The children had been taught that confrontation is the way to achieve political goals. But the senior senator from California knows more about climate science and American realpolitik than all the fifth graders in the world. As a woman who stormed into the male world of city and national politics when it was an actual boys’ club, she’s had to put up with more rudeness and bullying than many of us can imagine; she’s used to people underestimating her. If she’s going to lose any of her famous courage, it’s not because angry children showed up to teach her a lesson.

Pointing out how brave she was in the 70's, when she was young and perhaps more passionate, doesn't really translate to how she is in her 80's.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
20,000 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pointing out how brave she was in the 70's, when she was young and perhaps more passionate, doesn't really translate to how she is in her 80's.

It also just proves what a sell out she is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

I actually laughed when I heard this...I know it will make me cry when I think about it

...somehow the deplorables will justify their support for this ????

Trump to set up science panel to counter his own government's climate change consensus, officials say

The White House plans to create an ad hoc group of select federal scientists to reassess the government's analysis of climate science and counter its conclusions that the continued burning of fossil fuels is harming the planet, according to three administration officials.

Trump administration to create panel to deny climate change facts almost all scientists agree on

‘This is like assembling a panel of gravity sceptics who insist it’s safe to jump off tall buildings,’ says Nasa scientist
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
20,000 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

It also just proves what a sell out she is.

People can change over 40 years, especially if that time is spent in politics.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
I actually laughed when I heard this...I know it will make me cry when I think about it

...somehow the deplorables will justify their support for this ????

Trump to set up science panel to counter his own government's climate change consensus, officials say

The White House plans to create an ad hoc group of select federal scientists to reassess the government's analysis of climate science and counter its conclusions that the continued burning of fossil fuels is harming the planet, according to three administration officials.

I don't see a problem with this, especially since the guy in charge of the panel compared the unfair treatment CO2 gets to how the Jews were treated by Hitler.

Trump administration to create panel to deny climate change facts almost all scientists agree on

‘This is like assembling a panel of gravity sceptics who insist it’s safe to jump off tall buildings,’ says Nasa scientist
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Indeed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Indeed.

And there's much to be said about having experience and foreseeing what will get passed and what won't, but there are times and issues where getting behind something crazy or seemingly radical is a good idea, especially when doing "just enough" won't combat the issue.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Indeed.

And there's much to be said about having experience and foreseeing what will get passed and what won't, but there are times and issues where getting behind something crazy or seemingly radical is a good idea, especially when doing "just enough" won't combat the issue.

And while democrats fight amongst themselves, boom! trump just got re-elected.
I believe feinstein has been privy to some testimonies that implicate trump on some level, and maybe the Dem party line right now is to focus on Mueller stuff and getting the clown out of office before focusing on the Green new deal?
Ever think of that?
Next you gonna tell me that someone other than Pelosi should have been house speaker and been as successful to date in playing hardball w trump in regards to the wall, and the shutdown?

Dem on dem infighting is gonna get Trump reelected, I know it's seems tough, but maybe give dem leadership, and long tenured Dems the chance to prove themselves with the new majority in the congress.
This whole last page is filled with posts of people speaking with near certainty that they know exactly what is going on behind closed doors with elected Dems in DC right now, which you don't.

GIVE.
THEM.
A.
CHANCE.
TO.
PROVE.
THEMSELVES.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Indeed.

I believe feinstein has been privy to some testimonies that implicate trump on some level, and maybe the Dem party line right now is to focus on Mueller stuff and getting the clown out of office before focusing on the Green new deal?
Ever think of that?
Next you gonna tell me that someone other than Pelosi should have been house speaker and been as successful to date in playing hardball w trump in regards to the wall, and the shutdown?

Dem on dem infighting is gonna get Trump reelected, I know it's seems tough, but maybe give dem leadership, and long tenured Dems the chance to prove themselves with the new majority in the congress.
This whole last page is filled with posts of people speaking with near certainty that they know exactly what is going on behind closed doors with elected Dems in DC right now, which you don't.

GIVE.
THEM.
A.
CHANCE.
TO.
PROVE.
THEMSELVES.

Every serious Dem candidate is having to say if they are on board with the GND because it has favorable backing from an impassioned group of voters and future voters. Simply dismissing them will also hand Trump a 2nd term.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Indeed.

Ever think of that?

GIVE.
THEM.
A.
CHANCE.
TO.
PROVE.
THEMSELVES.

Every serious Dem candidate is having to say if they are on board with the GND because it has favorable backing from an impassioned group of voters and future voters. Simply dismissing them will also hand Trump a 2nd term.

Hows that? because if the progressives don't get what they want they will petulantly just not vote like the "bernie or bust" cowards?
The very definition of insanity is to repeat the same mistake twice when you know what the outcome will be.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Indeed.

Ever think of that?

GIVE.
THEM.
A.
CHANCE.
TO.
PROVE.
THEMSELVES.

I think there is a generational changing of the guard happening, and it is going to take a little time to figure things out. And that's OK. The biggest thing that needs to happen is for all of the constituencies to sit down and hammer out a priority list of things they are all behind, and work toward a common position on the other things, while keeping the focus on who the real enemy is.

DiFi isn't the enemy of AOC, and vice versa. They will disagree on a lot, but that is disagreement within a family. We all need to remember that and respect each other.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Hows that? because if the progressives don't get what they want they will petulantly just not vote like the "bernie or bust" cowards?
The very definition of insanity is to repeat the same mistake twice when you know what the outcome will be.

So why wouldn't equal expectations be placed on the elder statesman, who fought to give HRC the nomination, which lead to a Trump victory?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I think there is a generational changing of the guard happening, and it is going to take a little time to figure things out. And that's OK. The biggest thing that needs to happen is for all of the constituencies to sit down and hammer out a priority list of things they are all behind, and work toward a common position on the other things, while keeping the focus on who the real enemy is.

DiFi isn't the enemy of AOC, and vice versa. They will disagree on a lot, but that is disagreement within a family. We all need to remember that and respect each other.

I agree. I think the Green New Deal is catchy and is an easy sell to the American public. But, it will take centrist backing to hammer out how it will be implemented and how to get backing. Republicans are always passing legislation and then saying "we'll hammer out the details later". That's what should be happening with the GND.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I remember Anthony Robbins saying something about looks and demeanor meaning a Lot to voters and their willingness to vote for a person

Bernie just looks like some angry old man yelling at the wind or something

The evil Mr Burns scheming and plotting

In our no attention span society it counts

Sorry Burnie

*an aside but the topic reminded me of times when i used to watch Democracy Now. The lady on the show.. years back.. looked just disgusted and pissed off most every show.. I tuned in awhile back and she looked less grumped
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

So why wouldn't equal expectations be placed on the elder statesman, who fought to give HRC the nomination, which lead to a Trump victory?

Sorry, we might be in different media bubbles- HRC would have won if Comey didn't come out with the report 10 DAYS before the election, even IF she didn't campaign in the midwest.
Even Comey himself now admits this.
She was a strong candidate.
She would have been a fine president as well.

70,000 total votes man.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Sorry, we might be in different media bubbles- HRC would have won if Comey didn't come out with the report 10 DAYS before the election, even IF she didn't campaign in the midwest.
Even Comey himself now admits this.
She was a strong candidate.
She would have been a fine president as well.

70,000 total votes man.

I voted for her... And I'm not going to discuss why she lost for millionth time, but I will say that the political machine was behind her and against any newcomer (even if Bernie was older).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

When I read this I almost SMH. I say almost because I've come to realize he throws ish upside the wall to see what sticks. How he can say anything about racist hits use to puzzle me. Now it I take it as Trump norm.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump ‏ Verified account @realDonaldTrump 10h10 hours ago More Be nice if Spike Lee could read his notes, or better yet not have to use notes at all, when doing his racist hit on your President, who has done more for African Americans (Criminal Justice Reform, Lowest Unemployment numbers in History, Tax Cuts,etc.) than almost any other Pres!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Don't know if this link will work, but that's a Nobel Peace Prize medal that sold for a million. They are apparently rarely sold even by most families of the long-dead recipients, so Trump is gonna have to open his wallet wide to get his.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1N6KB

{Dunno if this one will work either, but here's Francis Crick's medal. 2.3 mill, yowza. James Watson is still alive, surprisingly.)

https://tinyurl.com/yy9o95e3
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

California GOP elects young latina as party chair

https://calmatters.org/articles/blog/california-republicans-dodge-bullet-new-chair/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Heads up. Set your clocks.

Michael Cohen to testify on Capitol Hill this week

LINK

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. (WTNH) - Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former Personal Lawyer will testify in front of the House Oversight Committee on Capitol Hill this Wednesday.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

https://calmatters.org/articles/blog/california-republicans-dodge-bullet-new-chair/

I always thought minorities, especially Asians/Latinos where the 0&1st generations are abundant that it’s a more conservative voting block, I think with GOP being pretty openly racist causes 70%+ to vote Democrat
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Michael Steele approves this message
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

CNN Bernie

Won’t call Maduro a dictator

Gonna fight big pharma

More Hillary supporter voted for McCain than my supporter voted for trump
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1405, 1406, 1407 ... 3680, 3681, 3682  Next
Page 1406 of 3682
Jump to: