THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2262, 2263, 2264 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I'm getting less and less pushback these days from my conservative friends and family. Their resistance to reality is slowly starting to fade. Its not so much that they agree with the reasons behind things or that they suddenly disagree with everything Trump is doing, but they just can't hide from the constant bombardment of crisis after crisis and the psychological toll of it all. Its finally wearing on them. There is some concession that its the President's job to make things better and things just don't feel "better."

It's sad we have to live in a dystopian World War Z/The Purge country for reality to slowly set in. But better late than never I guess.

LakerSanity wrote:
Doesn't mean they will vote for Biden though. More likely they just may not vote at all.

I feel ya. I'm still very skeptical. Not even cautiously optimistic. Biden is still the underdog running against an incumbent. And chances are nothing will change in regards to police violence and pandemic management. Just gonna keep low expectations and hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

They will still probably vote Trump. They just need one small reason why they can’t vote for the other guy.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

^ In 2016, that "small reason" was that Trump's opponent was a woman that they hated with a passion. That's why Biden is in a much better position than Hillary and in a good position relative to Trump because Biden will take away a larger slice of the white vote compared to Hillary, which is why Trump has feared him from the start.

While I agree that Trump has certain advantages as an incumbent, I don't agree that Biden is an underdog overall simply because he's a challenger. Trump is a uniquely bad incumbent. In 2016, he had a perfect election night where everything went his way - a historically unpopular opponent, foreign interference, Comey, the media giving him a pass, etc. - and he won by less than 80,000 votes. That was his perfect night. If Biden has a perfect night, he'll win in a landslide. Biden doesn't have to a perfect night to win the election. He needs Hillary's states, plus a combination of MI/WI/PA/AZ, in which Democrats have done very well since 2016. Though I'm worried about factors relating to interference, cheating, and other shenanigans, I'm optimistic just based on electoral factors.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
^ In 2016, that "small reason" was that Trump's opponent was a woman that they hated with a passion. That's why Biden is in a much better position than Hillary and in a good position relative to Trump because Biden will take away a larger slice of the white vote compared to Hillary, which is why Trump has feared him from the start.

While I agree that Trump has certain advantages as an incumbent, I don't agree that Biden is an underdog overall simply because he's a challenger. Trump is a uniquely bad incumbent. In 2016, he had a perfect election night where everything went his way - a historically unpopular opponent, foreign interference, Comey, the media giving him a pass, etc. - and he won by less than 80,000 votes. That was his perfect night. If Biden has a perfect night, he'll win in a landslide. Biden doesn't have to a perfect night to win the election. He needs Hillary's states, plus a combination of MI/WI/PA/AZ, in which Democrats have done very well since 2016. Though I'm worried about factors relating to interference, cheating, and other shenanigans, I'm optimistic just based on electoral factors.

Alot of the hate Republicans have for Hillary is founded in lies and hypocrisy. I could see them hating Biden that much come November.

Your second paragraph is spot on. I share those reasons for being hopeful and worried.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

While I would be shocked if he got re-elected (it would just be par for the course for 2020)... our system makes it far too easy for him to have that perfect night. Especially if there are outside influences with $$$ that want to interfere.

Being in the digital ad business, I know how creepy and invasive we can get. People talk about Facebook or Google, but the third party stuff we can use to drill down to certain households (I can geofence whatever address and cross reference that through any number of databases, apps you downloaded, you name it and make an ad appear on your connected TV) ... if I want to target those independents in a certain area and give them several reasons not to vote for someone and influence the right parts of the right states...it's not that hard to spend hyper effectively. I hope it's an overwhelming blow out, but I'm very nervous regardless of what polls say.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Barack the Brilliant:

Quote:
First, the waves of protests across the country represent a genuine and legitimate frustration over a decades-long failure to reform police practices and the broader criminal justice system in the United States. The overwhelming majority of participants have been peaceful, courageous, responsible, and inspiring. They deserve our respect and support, not condemnation — something that police in cities like Camden and Flint have commendably understood.

On the other hand, the small minority of folks who’ve resorted to violence in various forms, whether out of genuine anger or mere opportunism, are putting innocent people at risk, compounding the destruction of neighborhoods that are often already short on services and investment and detracting from the larger cause. I saw an elderly black woman being interviewed today in tears because the only grocery store in her neighborhood had been trashed. If history is any guide, that store may take years to come back. So let’s not excuse violence, or rationalize it, or participate in it. If we want our criminal justice system, and American society at large, to operate on a higher ethical code, then we have to model that code ourselves.

Trump the Terrible:

Quote:
Get tough Democrat Mayors and Governors. These people are ANARCHISTS. Call in our National Guard NOW. The World is watching and laughing at you and Sleepy Joe. Is this what America wants? NO!!!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Trump had peaceful protesters near the White House gassed so he could clear the way to get a photo op in front of a nearby church holding a Bible. Took no questions, then went back to the White House. Oh, and he's apparently ready to effectively declare Martial Law by using some obscure statute to use the American military in the streets against their fellow citizens.

This is the kind of thing I feared on election night.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Trump had peaceful protesters near the White House gassed so he could clear the way to get a photo op in front of a nearby church holding a Bible. Took no questions, then went back to the White House. Oh, and he's apparently ready to effectively declare Martial Law by using some obscure statute to use the American military in the streets against their fellow citizens.

Test drive
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Pouring gas on the fire.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I have a handful of conservative friends who've been telling me for years that the 2nd amendment is there to protect us from a tyrannical government. You'd think this would be a great opportunity for them to fulfill their Chuck Norris fantasy. But no, they're either quiet or are speaking in support of the government.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Pouring gas on the fire.

Pouring gas on democracy. Trump threatens to use the military if states don't act more forcibly. His destruction of democracy is in full force mode.

It's against constitutional law to use the military against civilians without the request of states unless certain conditions exist.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

So hard to stomach how they script literally EVERYTHING we see

Trump kills ten people to get a photo op in front of a church

Welcome 1984
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Test drive

We need an organized, on-going peaceful protest in front of the WH. The bloated yam has no right to force people away from protests so he can give press conferences and do photo-ops and go golfing. Don't set things on fire, just keep protesting right in his front yard. He's squatting in our house anyway. Leave when the curfew comes and don't break the law but come back every day and chant F Trump or whatever.

Last edited by SweetP on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Tin soldiers and Nixon coming

Let's hope not.

Wish it wasn't but I've seen this movie before. Unfortunately the special effects are going to be way better this time.

I'm sorry to say you were right.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Da Prez moved against the protestors because he knew his disciples--the violent splinter groups/"protestors"--wouldn't be around to get hurt, as they tend to loot/"protest" late at night.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Perspective of someone from the UK, taken from a different site, that I thought was worth sharing:

Is anyone watching the news? Massive incredible historic stuff is unfolding! Donald Trump appears to have just effectively declared martial law to stop the protests! https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4878843/user-clip-president-donald-trump-essentially-declares-martial-law He's using US troops against American civilians for the first time since 1807! He has effectively just made himself dictator of the USA. The worlds worst fears have been realised! He just stood in front of a ruined church with a bible in his hand, minutes after he ordered troops to shoot peaceful protestors in front of the White House. Was 1/6/20 the day democracy died in the USA after over 200 years?

Military vehicles being deployed in Washington DC right now ... curfew has been ordered throughout the USA. Troops given orders to take all necessary measures against anyone who breaks it. The fascist republic of America has been born tonight.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Impeach him again. I'm serious.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

At the very least, the same newspapers, such as the USA Today, who called for Bill Clinton to resign, should do the same here. But we all know they won't.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

To what end? Last thing we need right now is political theater that goes nowhere.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

To what end? Last thing we need right now is political theater that goes nowhere.

Just to distract him and split their attention. Somebody's gotta stop him before he really does go full fascist and tries to delay November election. Who else is going to stop him? You have to throw up some roadblocks. I know he won't be convicted. Should we all just sit on our hands while he turns himself into a dictator before our eyes?

Last edited by ChefLinda on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject:

If I hear one more (bleep) person call me alarmist I'm going to lose my (bleep).
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject:

From WaPo:

Quote:
The Right Rev. Mariann Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington, was seething.

“I am outraged,” Budde said in a telephone interview a short time later, pausing between words to emphasize her anger as her voice slightly trembled.

She said she had not been given any notice that Trump would be visiting the church, and did not approve of the manner in which the area was secured for his appearance.

“I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call, that they would be clearing [the area] with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop,” Budde said.

“Everything he has said and done is to inflame violence,” Budde said. “I am beyond. We need moral leadership, and he’s done everything to divide us, and has just used one of the most sacred symbols of the Judeo-Christian tradition.”

White gal needs to get out there in her full Episcopalian Bishop's regalia and stand with the protesters near the church.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Just to distract him and split their attention. Somebody's gotta stop him before he really does go full fascist and tries to delay November election. Who else is going to stop him? You have to throw up some roadblocks. I know he won't be convicted. Should we all just sit on our hands while he turns himself into a dictator before our eyes?

Speaker Pelosi becomes President if there is no election in 2020. At least that's how the rules are supposed to go.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
From WaPo:

Quote:
The Right Rev. Mariann Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington, was seething.

“I am outraged,” Budde said in a telephone interview a short time later, pausing between words to emphasize her anger as her voice slightly trembled.

She said she had not been given any notice that Trump would be visiting the church, and did not approve of the manner in which the area was secured for his appearance.

“I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call, that they would be clearing [the area] with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop,” Budde said.

“Everything he has said and done is to inflame violence,” Budde said. “I am beyond. We need moral leadership, and he’s done everything to divide us, and has just used one of the most sacred symbols of the Judeo-Christian tradition.”

White gal needs to get out there in her full Episcopalian Bishop's regalia and stand with the protesters near the church.

Quote:
Amy Fiscus @amyfiscus CNN

@kaitlancollins reporting that Trump walked to St. John’s church in part because he was upset over coverage of him hiding in the White House bunker
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Knowing Trump that's probably his plan. He's done so many things counter to the constitution, why not that?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2262, 2263, 2264 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2263 of 3673
Jump to: