THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2266, 2267, 2268 ... 3678, 3679, 3680  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:
I've decided to cut ties with my best friend of 22 years over his support of Trump. I just can't do it anymore. I'm honestly very close to cutting ties with family as well.

My good bud that is law enforcement? I was going to get my feet wet and go on a hunting trip for small game. We disagree on politics but that's usually left at the door. After a slew of texts from him in support of the cops, I'm done with the guy. We've known each other for close to 20 years. I feel no loss. Guy had the personality that you'd expect from every jack boot you've seen. I put up with it because of some shared interest but I could not give a (bleep) at this point.

My wife no longer speaks to one of her brothers as of about a year and a half ago.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
I don't think anyone would disagree with you on Trump's base not moving. The hope is that the few remaining people in the middle (suburban women), minorities, and younger voters will react to this by realizing how monumental this election is.

I'd like to see how white voters and older voters react to this, which is where Biden has made some gains, especially the latter. They could potentially buy into Trump's "law and order" nonsense. We'll know more in about a week.

You're right we'll know more soon.
And I don't like being pessimistic. I hope you're right about these "middle" voters.

It's just Trump has been soooo divisive. That when I hear people somehow clinging to "the middle". I don't trust them. Either they are woefully uninformed. Or they're looking for an excuse or cover to support Trump come November.

That's just how I see it. Hillary was the middle in 2016. Pelosi has been the middle since then. And both are under water if you look at favorability vs unfavorability numbers.

If it wasn't for those people, the Dems wouldn't have the majority in the House.

There's a difference between the people who realized they made a mistake after 2016. And people who now. In June 2020 still are on the fence.

I'm doubting a President who ran on "law and order" and "the Central Park 5 are guilty", and "Obama is a Muslim". Is gonna lose much support for recent events. People on the fence but leaning Trump will just say, "he's supporting law enforcement".

But they aren't leaning Trump. They specifically voted for Democratic candidates in Trump districts because they were sick on Trump already in 2018. They are leaning Biden since he's been leading in the polls for months. Chances are they will stick with him through this.

For rare exceptions like W picking up seats during the Iraq war hysteria, aren't mid-term losses the norm for an incumbent president? Many of those were "Democrats" in name only, too.

No, they were Democrats. Bernie is an example of a Democrat in name only when it's time to run for President. Also, yes, the president's party losing some seats in the House is expected during the midterms, but not 41 seats. That's not normal.

Point taken. Many of them, at least the ones Bloomberg bought, just weren't liberals (literally ex-CIA).

And Bernie sadly is an Independent in name only. He is 100% in lockstep with Democratic leadership, as most recently evidenced by the CARES disaster.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:
I've decided to cut ties with my best friend of 22 years over his support of Trump. I just can't do it anymore. I'm honestly very close to cutting ties with family as well.

My good bud that is law enforcement? I was going to get my feet wet and go on a hunting trip for small game. We disagree on politics but that's usually left at the door. After a slew of texts from him in support of the cops, I'm done with the guy. We've known each other for close to 20 years. I feel no loss. Guy had the personality that you'd expect from every jack boot you've seen. I put up with it because of some shared interest but I could not give a (bleep) at this point.

My wife no longer speaks to one of her brothers as of about a year and a half ago.

Honestly, that is sad. I have family members who voted for Trump, but mostly for religious reasons (abortion). I understand.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbcs-eddie-glaude-shades-biden-after-widely-lauded-speech-his-words-need-to-rise-to-the-level-of-our-problems/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Honestly, that is sad. I have family members who voted for Trump, but mostly for religious reasons (abortion). I understand.

Unfortunately, his (and his wife's) support for Trump had nothing to do with religion . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Anyone who votes for Trump because of abortion is giving you a clue that their abortion stance isn't really about the sanctity of life.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Anyone who votes for Trump because of abortion is giving you a clue that their abortion stance isn't really about the sanctity of life.

She's an 80-year old one issue voter who believes if she votes the wrong way she will go to hell. I'm not going to fight her on this.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

So, maybe somebody can help me: With the birth starts at inception crowd, just how many mulligans does one get when it comes to abortions?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
I don't think anyone would disagree with you on Trump's base not moving. The hope is that the few remaining people in the middle (suburban women), minorities, and younger voters will react to this by realizing how monumental this election is.

I'd like to see how white voters and older voters react to this, which is where Biden has made some gains, especially the latter. They could potentially buy into Trump's "law and order" nonsense. We'll know more in about a week.

You're right we'll know more soon.
And I don't like being pessimistic. I hope you're right about these "middle" voters.

It's just Trump has been soooo divisive. That when I hear people somehow clinging to "the middle". I don't trust them. Either they are woefully uninformed. Or they're looking for an excuse or cover to support Trump come November.

That's just how I see it. Hillary was the middle in 2016. Pelosi has been the middle since then. And both are under water if you look at favorability vs unfavorability numbers.

If it wasn't for those people, the Dems wouldn't have the majority in the House.

There's a difference between the people who realized they made a mistake after 2016. And people who now. In June 2020 still are on the fence.

I'm doubting a President who ran on "law and order" and "the Central Park 5 are guilty", and "Obama is a Muslim". Is gonna lose much support for recent events. People on the fence but leaning Trump will just say, "he's supporting law enforcement".

But they aren't leaning Trump. They specifically voted for Democratic candidates in Trump districts because they were sick on Trump already in 2018. They are leaning Biden since he's been leading in the polls for months. Chances are they will stick with him through this.

For rare exceptions like W picking up seats during the Iraq war hysteria, aren't mid-term losses the norm for an incumbent president? Many of those were "Democrats" in name only, too.

No, they were Democrats. Bernie is an example of a Democrat in name only when it's time to run for President. Also, yes, the president's party losing some seats in the House is expected during the midterms, but not 41 seats. That's not normal.

And the largest turnout in a century, and the biggest electoral vote victory since Watergate.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The midterm elections delivered significant blows to Congressional Democrats. In 2010, Democrats lost 6 seats in the Senate and 63 seats in the House, costing them the chamber. In 2014, Democrats lost another 13 seats in the House and a staggering 9 seats in the Senate; this time losing them the Senate and completing a Republican takeover of Congress.

https://www.quorum.us/data-driven-insights/under-obama-democrats-suffer-largest-loss-in-power-since-eisenhower/291/
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
The midterm elections delivered significant blows to Congressional Democrats. In 2010, Democrats lost 6 seats in the Senate and 63 seats in the House, costing them the chamber. In 2014, Democrats lost another 13 seats in the House and a staggering 9 seats in the Senate; this time losing them the Senate and completing a Republican takeover of Congress.

https://www.quorum.us/data-driven-insights/under-obama-democrats-suffer-largest-loss-in-power-since-eisenhower/291/

The House was so gerrymandered in 2018, it should have been way more than 41 seats. It was the biggest electoral vote victory in almost 50 years. You can't just downplay what happened in 2018. Read my last post. Nice try, though.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Unfortunately, his (and his wife's) support for Trump had nothing to do with religion . . .

The more I think about the Make America Great Again slogan, the more I realize what they mean is to get America back to the pre-Civil rights era.

I'm going to visit my neices and my brother in law (who might be redeemable) voted for Trump. He's a big 2nd amendment guy so I'm taking this fool to task.

You want run your mouth about protecting yourselves from government over reach? Here's your gd chance. Not a peep from these idiots.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

I'm not sad. The guy was kind of a scum bag. We were friends because as a group, we'd go have drinks, talk about other things, shoot the (bleep) altogether. I was the last one of our group that'd occasionally have a drink with him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Quote:

And most of that was due to Obamacare, which, ironically, was the main reason the Dems won the house back in 2018...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Former President George W. Bush issued a statement Tuesday regarding the “brutal suffocation of George Floyd,” saying it is “time for us to listen” and that it is time for America to “examine our tragic failures.”

The full statement is below:"

Quote:
Laura and I are anguished by the brutal suffocation of George Floyd and disturbed by the injustice and fear that suffocate our country. Yet we have resisted the urge to speak out, because this is not the time for us to lecture. It is time for us to listen. It is time for America to examine our tragic failures – and as we do, we will also see some of our redeeming strengths.

It remains a shocking failure that many African Americans, especially young African American men, are harassed and threatened in their own country. It is a strength when protesters, protected by responsible law enforcement, march for a better future. This tragedy — in a long series of similar tragedies — raises a long overdue question: How do we end systemic racism in our society? The only way to see ourselves in a true light is to listen to the voices of so many who are hurting and grieving. Those who set out to silence those voices do not understand the meaning of America — or how it becomes a better place.

America’s greatest challenge has long been to unite people of very different backgrounds into a single nation of justice and opportunity. The doctrine and habits of racial superiority, which once nearly split our country, still threaten our Union. The answers to American problems are found by living up to American ideals — to the fundamental truth that all human beings are created equal and endowed by God with certain rights. We have often underestimated how radical that quest really is, and how our cherished principles challenge systems of intended or assumed injustice. The heroes of America — from Frederick Douglass, to Harriet Tubman, to Abraham Lincoln, to Martin Luther King, Jr. — are heroes of unity. Their calling has never been for the fainthearted. They often revealed the nation’s disturbing bigotry and exploitation — stains on our character sometimes difficult for the American majority to examine. We can only see the reality of America’s need by seeing it through the eyes of the threatened, oppressed, and disenfranchised.

That is exactly where we now stand. Many doubt the justice of our country, and with good reason. Black people see the repeated violation of their rights without an urgent and adequate response from American institutions. We know that lasting justice will only come by peaceful means. Looting is not liberation, and destruction is not progress. But we also know that lasting peace in our communities requires truly equal justice. The rule of law ultimately depends on the fairness and legitimacy of the legal system. And achieving justice for all is the duty of all.

This will require a consistent, courageous, and creative effort. We serve our neighbors best when we try to understand their experience. We love our neighbors as ourselves when we treat them as equals, in both protection and compassion. There is a better way — the way of empathy, and shared commitment, and bold action, and a peace rooted in justice. I am confident that together, Americans will choose the better way.”

link
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes I saw that, and it is very eloquent. Made me think that there's no way he wrote all of that. And also that there's no way he would have made a speech like this while he was the president. Of course, we know why that is.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Those who set out to silence those voices do not understand the meaning of America — or how it becomes a better place.

Yeah, Trump. He's talking about you.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

The more I think about the Make America Great Again slogan, the more I realize what they mean is to get America back to the pre-Civil rights era.

I'm going to visit my neices and my brother in law (who might be redeemable) voted for Trump. He's a big 2nd amendment guy so I'm taking this fool to task.

You want run your mouth about protecting yourselves from government over reach? Here's your gd chance. Not a peep from these idiots.

Of course that's what it always was. God put white men in charge of America and America in charge of the world. Uppity women, gays, foreigners, people of color, all of them are destroying the fabric of our great land.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Lord knows I'm not going to defend Dubya, but that statement (no matter who he got to write it for him) was pretty much on the money.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Lord knows I'm not going to defend Dubya, but that statement (no matter who he got to write it for him) was pretty much on the money.

It was excellent. It's OK to call it what it is. Definitely agree that he couldn't have written all of that though LOL.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

It was well written and means something he would give his name to it, even if he didn't write it. I don't know how he can supposedly be such a close friend of Michele Obama if he actually took any other stance.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

It was well written and means something he would give his name to it, even if he didn't write it. I don't know how he can supposedly be such a close friend of Michele Obama if he actually took any other stance.

I have deep issues with what W did during his tenure, and his administration was full of war criminals and profiteers, and that's on him. But I do think he thinks of himself as a gentleman, and I can't forget the warmth the Obamas received from he and his wife, and so I will always be an opponent of his regime and his running of it, but i accept some humanity and decency from him as well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I have deep issues with what W did during his tenure, and his administration was full of war criminals and profiteers, and that's on him. But I do think he thinks of himself as a gentleman, and I can't forget the warmth the Obamas received from he and his wife, and so I will always be an opponent of his regime and his running of it, but i accept some humanity and decency from him as well.

I always got the impression he was a decent guy that was surrounded and manipulated by his Daddy's cohorts and cronies. If I got a flat, I'd expect he'd pull over and help me where Trump would probably wind down the window, point and laugh. I could be wrong.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

This is exactly how I feel about W. Thank you.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Christian racists--not all Chrisitians are racist and vice-versa--use God/religion/The Bible to justify behavior which The Bible's main man, Jesus/God, preaches against.

I agree with Biden: Trump should open The Bible, not just pose with it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2266, 2267, 2268 ... 3678, 3679, 3680  Next
Page 2267 of 3680
Jump to: