THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3671, 3672, 3673 ... 3677, 3678, 3679  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

Quote:
Lara Trump Threatens ‘Four Years of Scorched Earth’ If Trump Retakes Power

We'll probably have to endure more of her "singing" .

This was on one of Kimmel's monologue's this week

https://youtu.be/m6ISoGg5MfM?si=UhUy_pOj7xMUMFP9&t=549
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/lara-trump-four-years-of-scorched-earth-if-trump-wins.html

Quote:

Yet somehow even with mountains of this (bleep) about what they will do if they take power, polls are terrifyingly close. I get that this is what diehard MAGAts want, but how the (bleep) is anyone else that isn’t ready to go out and vote Biden OK with this? This is a five alarm (bleep) fire and we still have people shrugging their shoulders like it’s 2016 going “IDK, how bad can he really be?”

The media is chiefly to blame for this. They are treating this like a horse race, Republican vs Democrat.

They've been normalizing Trump ever since 2015, so it's no wonder it's close.

Every time Trump is mentioned in the media, it should be prefaced by saying that he is a rapist, insurrectionist, authoritarian, sociopath. And when he lies, it should be called a lie, not a misstatement or whatever else they call it. That same media spent months talking about Biden's age as if he's about to die any minute and magnifying every time he misspeaks, leading many to think that Trump is much younger and spry, even though every time he speaks publicly he can't complete a sentence and is talking nonsense.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
Quote:
U.S. likely to enact a law soon that could ban TikTok nationwide
House Speaker Johnson plans to package TikTok legislation with critical aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan and send it to the Senate. President Joe Biden vowed to sign it into law.

April 18, 2024, 4:05 PM EDT
By Scott Wong and Kyle Stewart
WASHINGTON — Legislation that could ban TikTok in the U.S. unless it cuts ties with its Chinese parent company is on a path to quickly get to President Joe Biden’s desk and be signed into law.

The bill, which has the backing of Biden and key members of Congress, would allow the administration to ban the popular video-sharing app nationwide if it does not divest from China-based ByteDance within one year.

A similar bill already passed the House in a lopsided, bipartisan 352-65 vote in March. But it has been stalled in the Democratic-controlled Senate, where Commerce Committee Chairwoman Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., had been looking to put her mark on it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/us-likely-enact-law-soon-ban-tiktok-nationwide-rcna148391

I wonder if this will have any effect on the campaign?

China will have one year to divest so that decision point won't happen until after the election. But young voters would be upset -- if they were paying attention, and if the voted and could figure out who to blame.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject:

I have to say I am impressed.. This weekend Biden has put a muzzle on Iran, Israel, Gaza and the Republican party and brought all to heel and gotten virtually everything he wanted/needed. I have a feeling that weeks/months and years from now we'll be looking at this week as a turning point and a masterclass in how to govern.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject:

Comedian Jimmy Carr had a great comment on the abortion issue:

The Supreme Court is preventing women from aborting Fetuses; they don’t feel, the haven’t got hearts, and they are brainless . . . yet, somehow, the Supreme Court are in charge.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

The Supreme Court is preventing women from aborting Fetuses; they don’t feel, the haven’t got hearts, and they are brainless . . . yet, somehow, the Supreme Court are in charge.

His abortion joke about dwarfs is getting backlash
Quote:
Jimmy Carr is facing a severe backlash after he made an offensive joke about dwarfs during his stand-up tour.

While performing a segment of his Terribly Funny show this week, which runs from May until December 2020, the comedian asked: “Is a dwarf an abortion that made it?”

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject:

Proposed legislation to be introduced to end Secret Service protection for convicted felons sentenced to prison.

LINK

Quote:
This legislation would reform the U.S. Secret Service’s protective mission by automatically terminating Secret Service protection for those who have been sentenced to prison following conviction for a Federal or State felony—clarifying that prison authorities would be responsible for the protection of all inmates regardless of previous Secret Service protection.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:
Jimmy Carr is facing a severe backlash after he made an offensive joke about dwarfs during his stand-up tour.

While performing a segment of his Terribly Funny show this week, which runs from May until December 2020, the comedian asked: “Is a dwarf an abortion that made it?”

He’s funny. It’s comedy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

He’s funny. It’s comedy.

Carr purposely goes into deeply dark and inappropriate territory for the "Oh no! he didn't go there!" reaction to a joke; unlike other comedians who intend to attack with their offensiveness.

He addresses this in his new special with a bit where he talks about the power of saying, "I'm sorry you feel that way" with sarcasm to someone who says they are offended. The inevitable response by the offended is "You don't really mean that" . . . to which he replies, "So you are saying that it is possible that I don't actually mean everything I say . . ."

He also balances the shockingly offensive stuff with well grounded observation like the ridiculousness of terms like "date rape", the hypocrisy of anti-vaxers who still utilize modern medicine, and lax gun regulation
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

He’s funny. It’s comedy.

Carr purposely goes into deeply dark and inappropriate territory for the "Oh no! he didn't go there!" reaction to a joke; unlike other comedians who intend to attack with their offensiveness.

He addresses this in his new special with a bit where he talks about the power of saying, "I'm sorry you feel that way" with sarcasm to someone who says they are offended. The inevitable response by the offended is "You don't really mean that" . . . to which he replies, "So you are saying that it is possible that I don't actually mean everything I say . . ."

He also balances the shockingly offensive stuff with well grounded observation like the ridiculousness of terms like "date rape", the hypocrisy of anti-vaxers who still utilize modern medicine, and lax gun regulation
I like him, Ricky and Jeselnik. Carrs accent makes it even better.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject:

Biden continues to make gains in the betting markets.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7456/Who-will-win-the-2024-US-presidential-election
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

He’s funny. It’s comedy.

I'm all in on comedy. Shouldn't it have boundaries and responsibilities? Are there areas that should be off-limits? Put yourself in the shoes of those offended. Would you think it's funny, just comedy? I agree with the backlash.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

He’s funny. It’s comedy.

I'm all in on comedy. Shouldn't it have boundaries and responsibilities? Are there areas that should be off-limits? Put yourself in the shoes of those offended. Would you think it's funny, just comedy? I agree with the backlash.

Would I be offended if I were a little person? Probably but I hope I wouldn’t make my feelings someone else’s.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/lara-trump-four-years-of-scorched-earth-if-trump-wins.html

Quote:

Yet somehow even with mountains of this (bleep) about what they will do if they take power, polls are terrifyingly close. I get that this is what diehard MAGAts want, but how the (bleep) is anyone else that isn’t ready to go out and vote Biden OK with this? This is a five alarm (bleep) fire and we still have people shrugging their shoulders like it’s 2016 going “IDK, how bad can he really be?”

I'll tell you what I keep hearing from low-info, likely voters, many of whom are top 1-2%, upper middle class people. Doesn't seem like a great Venn diagram, but they exist. Privilege insulates them from getting their hands dirty with real issues.

1. Biden isn't doing anything meaningful for them. In fact, he makes USA look bad with his old man gaffes.

2. Homeless everywhere, taxes through the roof, crime, drugs, etc. and Biden does nothing.

3. Trump's going to win anyway so let's take a closer look at how bad it really was. Was it really that bad?

4. Democrats, as represented by the younger class of voters, don't serve their interests and these older folks are not ready to hand reins over to idealistic, spoilt children.

For purely election purposes, I really wished Kamala would have taken a more active role and had proven herself ready for the job. If she had, so many of the talking points would be off the table. Biden's done a great job and I give him a lot of credit. Still, I feel like I'm constantly bracing for impact with the guy. Like an old man who is about to be run over by a kid on a bike.

Last edited by Heartburn on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

He’s funny. It’s comedy.

Would I be offended if I were a little person? Probably but I hope I wouldn’t make my feelings someone else’s.

Key phrase "hope". What is the reasoning behind your "hope"? I don't know the source of the backlash, the quote doesn't identify it. I assume some like me think this particular subject should off limits. I'm not a writer, but I think there are ways to include little people in jokes/comedy without being offensive. I'm only addressing this particular happening and agreeing with the backlash.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Whether you find something funny or offensive is extremely subjective and is based on the audience. Even the biggest edgelord in the world. I could find a "joke" about a topic. That would offend them.

Comedians can say pretty much whatever they want. It is free speech.
Audiences can protest. Platforms can decide they don't want to give a comedian a stage. That is free speech and capitalism.

The whole "I'm a genius and you all are too dumb and sensitive to understand my genius" act alot of these comedians pull. I find it redundant, boring, lazy (if they are being serious when they complain).

They are just bad at their jobs.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

He’s funny. It’s comedy.

Key phrase "hope". What is the reasoning behind your "hope"? I don't know the source of the backlash, the quote doesn't identify it. I assume some like me think this particular subject should off limits. I'm not a writer, but I think there are ways to include little people in jokes/comedy without being offensive. I'm only addressing this particular happening and agreeing with the backlash.

I refer to hope as if someone or something bothers me where I have a choice to disengage from it I would hope I wouldn’t carry it beyond that point. Whether it means feeling depressed about it or muddying up someone else’s life by whining about it.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:

I'll tell you what I keep hearing from low-info, likely voters, many of whom are top 1-2%, upper middle class people. Doesn't seem like a great Venn diagram, but they exist. Privilege insulates them from getting their hands dirty with real issues.

1. Biden isn't doing anything meaningful for them. In fact, he makes USA look bad with his old man gaffes.

2. Homeless everywhere, taxes through the roof, crime, drugs, etc. and Biden does nothing.

3. Trump's going to win anyway so let's take a closer look at how bad it really was. Was it really that bad?

4. Democrats, as represented by the younger class of voters, don't serve their interests and these older folks are not ready to hand reins over to idealistic, spoilt children.

For purely election purposes, I really wished Kamala would have taken a more active role and had proven herself ready for the job. If she had, so many of the talking points would be off the table. Biden's done a great job and I give him a lot of credit. Still, I feel like I'm constantly bracing for impact with the guy. Like an old man who is about to be run over by a kid on a bike.

Sounds like the usual disgusting self-entitlement from rich or well-off people. These people are out of touch with the working class/working poor, as evidenced by your comment that "Biden isn't doing anything meaningful for them" and that their taxes are "through the roof."

If a Dem raises these people's taxes by 2 or 3 percent, they start whining and act like they're being persecuted.

These people will also complain about homelessness, but they don't want to actually help the homeless to help themselves. All they want to do is ban homeless people from their neighborhoods or even send them to jail.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:

Sounds like the usual disgusting self-entitlement from rich or well-off people. These people are out of touch with the working class/working poor, as evidenced by your comment that "Biden isn't doing anything meaningful for them" and that their taxes are "through the roof."

If a Dem raises these people's taxes by 2 or 3 percent, they start whining and act like they're being persecuted.

These people will also complain about homelessness, but they don't want to actually help the homeless to help themselves. All they want to do is ban homeless people from their neighborhoods or even send them to jail.

Yep.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Someone posted a clip of the area in front of the courthouse in New York. Only a couple people showed up to support Trump. He probably counted on huge protests, but it's not happening. His family also isn't showing up.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Someone posted a clip of the area in front of the courthouse in New York. Only a couple people showed up to support Trump. He probably counted on huge protests, but it's not happening. His family also isn't showing up.

For some reason, the bolded is hilarious in almost a sadistic way.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:

That's 100% true.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1782821751568646149?t=biabCqWbtuxlv3r5JKQdMw&s=19
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Hitler was popular among the well to do, and those who knew they weren’t in the out groups. I was struck the other day by the quote:

Have you ever wondered what you would have done during the rise of fascism? You’re doing it right now.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

He’s funny. It’s comedy.

I refer to hope as if someone or something bothers me where I have a choice to disengage from it I would hope I wouldn’t carry it beyond that point. Whether it means feeling depressed about it or muddying up someone else’s life by whining about it.

Thanks for the clarification. ☮️

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3671, 3672, 3673 ... 3677, 3678, 3679  Next
Page 3672 of 3679
Jump to: