predraft athletic testing? kobe/allen iverson
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: predraft athletic testing? kobe/allen iverson

Does anyone know where to find the athletic test results from this past draft in paticular?

Also, does anyone know kobes verticle leap and allen iversons? or the overall athletic tests from both when they were drafted?

im in an arguement with someone on another board and need this info.

thanks.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

bump
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

I believe Kobe's verticle leap was somewhere between 43" - 45"

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
bump

I see this quite often, but why do you right "bump" as a response? Is that to indicate you'd like to know, too?
ClipperLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

Nah. Kobe's is not that high. His vertical leap is actually not that high compared to other two guards in the league, but freaking high compared to the rest of the world... I heard his vertical was in the 37-38 range....Not the mid 40s......I believe VC has like a 42-43....Nate Rob probably is about 43 as well....

Jumping is one thing, but skills is another...

Harold miner can jump, but he sucks.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
bump

I see this quite often, but why do you right "bump" as a response? Is that to indicate you'd like to know, too?

yeah i'd know as well. not really concerned with AI, but i'd like to know kobe's.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

ClipperLakerFan wrote:
Nah. Kobe's is not that high. His vertical leap is actually not that high compared to other two guards in the league, but freaking high compared to the rest of the world... I heard his vertical was in the 37-38 range....Not the mid 40s......I believe VC has like a 42-43....Nate Rob probably is about 43 as well....

Kobe's vertical absolultely DID test in the 40s. You're mistaken.
ThePunisher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

There is various info all over the place saying different things. I have never found anything that is credible.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
ClipperLakerFan wrote:

Kobe's vertical absolultely DID test in the 40s. You're mistaken.

there was a thread here in the summer, titled "kobes verticle leap highest ever recorded?"

i dont remember the details, but i remember someone having a website that listed most of the star players past/present with their measurements.
i THINK i remember reading a 45 for kobe. Id like to know for sure though.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

Kobe's vertical was about 42". VC was about 45".
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
bump

bump... as in bumping the thread back to the top so people read it again.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Yep, ive read 45" for Kobe as well
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Reports I have seen indicate Kobe's standing vertical was 42 inches, so his one step vertical probably was 45". Reports indicate Bynum's standing vertical is 33", but his one step vertical was 37". Shaq's was reported at 32". Mike is the one to ask about athletic numbers.
Spirit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Check out this website:

http://www.jumpusa.com/psj.html
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I think Kobe has the world record for Vertical. I saw it in some book. Surprised me because to me VC and some olympians can get up higher....but its all good.
wutevahung
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:

wow can you tell me which book it is?
i wanna read it lol
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I did read one source that Kobe had a record vertical for the NBA. I have my doubts, but Kobe is among the elite.
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

It's not like everyone jumps the same amount every time they try. That said, Kobe's style is that he stretches out and glides more than the two-foot jump-stop-and-bang like Vince Carter or J Richardson does.

Even if he had an incredible vertical, he almost never showcases it due to his jumping/running style.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

T-Mac's better...

nah, JK... I have never seen Kobe jump over anyone and dunk (except in that video when he dunked over Shaq)... In games, VC jumps higher than any NBA guy I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

^^^ do you watch Laker Games.

Didn't he put his ballsac on Dwight Howards neck. That had to be atleast 40 inches and he has jumped higher than that before.

How about the Dunk of Ben Wallace. He had to be 40+ inches there as well.

Vince might be jumping 48 inches because he did jump over a 7 footers head. I would say a young Kobe running jumped about 44 inches and a young Vince running jumped about 48 inches. Vince is a better leaper, but Kobe is right up there behind maybe 10-12 people in the NBA. Wade probably jumps about 40 inches

38 seems about right for Kobe's standing vertical. He is not a two-foot leaper.

33 for Bynum is impressive.

Anybody have that picture where Bynum is dunking and his head is way above the rim? I saw the picture this summer on LG
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

It's obvious Kobe doesn't have quite the spring in his legs that he once did. I would guess his vert between 37" and 42" just from what I have seen of him. No doubt Vince gets more air. One would have to think Wade does too at this point, but Wade has a LOT less miles on his legs than Kobe does. I think it is obvious that Kobe has enough spring left in his legs to dominate....

Jake Speed, 1986
KobeFTW
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

im not sure how high it is but Corey maggette has the highest vertical in the league, also guys like randy moss and most Cb can jump atleast 50'
Tracy McGrady, the player closest to matching Kobe in pure individual ability, was 'no picnic to deal with either. I heard that every time someone says 'get back on defense,' his back hurts. "the last season'-Phil Jackson
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

a couple things ..

1. vc pushed off on weis's head as he jumped up. he used his left hand to push off during his rise up, which is how he was able to leap over him. i've watched this on frame by frame replay about 30 times on my computer. you can also see weis's head (bleep) to the side as pressure is applied by vince when he pushes off.

2. vc has longer arms and bigger hands than kobe. vc can reach straight out with the ball in his fingertips, because he calm palm it easily. kobe has to semi-cup the ball so that he cannot get full extension of his hands/arm when dunking. therefore, vc has the appearance that he is up higher, because he can reach up higher by controlling the ball in his fingertips a la jordan.

3. kobe didn't use his left hand at all to push off when dunking on howard. he just went straight up. i've watched this on frame by frame at least 100 times. so to get your crotch at face level on a guy that is also a legit 7 footer in howard, it's not unimagineable to think that he could have cleared the guy too if he used his left hand to push off like vc.

i think vc and kobe have similar vertical leaps, but because vince has longer arms and bigger hands, he can pull off much sicker looking dunks and appear higher in the air.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

KobeFTW wrote:
im not sure how high it is but Corey maggette has the highest vertical in the league, also guys like randy moss and most Cb can jump atleast 50'

LOL.... sorry man, but you are way off. I played college football with and against some CB's that ended up going pro, and none of them had a vert over 37". One of these guys was even said the be the best athlete in the draft (he was drafted VERY high). I never once saw a vert over 37" on the whole team. Keep in mind that the way we tested our vertical was without a step. Just standing with both feet planted and jumping. Add a step into there and you can add at least 4". Still, 50" is not realistic.

Jake Speed, 1986
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
It's obvious Kobe doesn't have quite the spring in his legs that he once did. I would guess his vert between 37" and 42" just from what I have seen of him. No doubt Vince gets more air. One would have to think Wade does too at this point, but Wade has a LOT less miles on his legs than Kobe does. I think it is obvious that Kobe has enough spring left in his legs to dominate....

Just not true. Kobe is at his athletic peak. He chooses not to do the hang time stuff because it is often a detriment to one's game, as well as a health risk. Kobe can still get up with the best in the game, when the situation dictates.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: