Hollinger's take on Bynum...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
hat's not bad for a kid who just turned 18 a few months ago.

Out of HS, Olajwuon, Shaq, and Mutombo knew certain basics as freshmen for their respective schools. The athleticism? There.

Quote:
Mike did want Granger and so did you - over Bynum.

I did, simply because he was a safer pick. The amount of PT, skills, and athleticism that Granger has shown this season has been proof enough.

Judging from SPL play? I wouldn't have been "wrong." Bynum had huge holes in his game.

That's exactly your problem. You're still judging from SPL play. How about NBA play? The kid has done good for us on the floor practically every time he's out there. He's not folded under the pressure, he's got heart, he's got a fire, he's working hard, and he's not afraid. He wants the ball. You can't teach that. Sure, he's got A LOT A LOT to learn, but with Phil and Cap on the job, and the great Lakers coaching staff, I think he'll do great.
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

he cost lakers 4 or 6 points against memphis. His offense is hurting the team but he is going to be a defensive beast.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

DidierUniversity wrote:
At worst Bynum will be another DeSagana Diop...which isnt half bad?

Diop is 24. He averages about the same number of points as Bynum, but in more than twice as many minutes. He doesn't shoot as well as Bynum. He does rebound about the same per minute as Bynum. Bynum is already better than Diop, despite being six years younger.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Bynum is moving quickly. He's already a substantially better player than he was in SPL.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
That's exactly your problem. You're still judging from SPL play. How about NBA play? The kid has done good for us on the floor practically every time he's out there. He's not folded under the pressure, he's got heart, he's got a fire, he's working hard, and he's not afraid. He wants the ball. You can't teach that. Sure, he's got A LOT A LOT to learn, but with Phil and Cap on the job, and the great Lakers coaching staff, I think he'll do great.

I don't see it as a problem. I actually saw how far Bynum has come, and how far he has to go to be a starting quality center.

Besides, that comment was supposed to be in contrast with Bynum and Granger based on SPL play alone.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
brock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

MDMO49 wrote:
After watching the game last nite, I can add a few more things about Bynum.

I knew after watching him initially that he plays the game slow, and he's just a slow big man, but that's normal for a lot of 7 footers.

Let's just say he's not going to be anywhere near the dominant 7 footer Amare Stoudamire is, nor will have the impact Amare had as a rookie.

But he definitely has some tools. Right now b/c he's young he's still learning the game, that's why he got blocked by pretty much EVERYONE in that Memphis game.

But he did play some solid defense, (not against Pau), and grab some impressive offensive rebounds.

I think Bynum has the ability to be a solid NBA center in this league. Probably not an upper tier player but a better Chris Mihm, and if he improves on his low post game, maybe be an effective player down low.

No offense, but this is total crap.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I just hope the kid doesn't find this board and read the threads about him. He sounds humble and like he has a desire to improve, appears to work hard, is willing to learn, and he's still growing. He's clearly quite raw, maybe even more raw than the majority of preps to pros kids. He's shown improvement since SPL and the qualities I mentioned earlier should allow him to kepp improving.

If anybody expected more than quick flashes of potential like the move on Shaq, scattered blocks, and production against NYK then they expected far too much for this season. There are going to be good games and bad games. I find it amazingly shocking how the attitude here toward a player can change that quickly between those games. The coaching staff has a plan with him and I hope they stick with it.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

If I recall correctly, Mike wrote a post, perhaps even an article mentioning Bynum's progress since the SPL. Bynum does have a long way to go. To say so is not a bash on Bynum. Even college centers have a hard time making the transition to playing center in the NBA. The fact that an 18 year old is logging minutes at center in the NBA is remarkable. The kid has a big center sized body, but he's in the process of learning the game. There is great potential. It will take time to see what develops. The #10 pick was well used to select Bynum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: