Why is everyone bashing Odom if Cook is the guilty one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
The answer to this topic's question is simple:

Bashing Odom is just the fashionable thing to do on LG.net

Fact is it looked like a clear lane to the basket. If Odom makes it we likely seal the win. Players have to go for a shot if it looks like it's there, otherwise the opportunity might be lost.

It's just simply unfair to blame Odom, if Kobe had done the same thing and thought the opening was there but with the same results I don't think you would have a bunch of Kobe bashing threads as we typically do with Odom on this topic.

THINK ABOUT IT... :roll:

problem is, Kobe would not make that mistake...especially after the much talked about Sacramento "incident" where Odom admitted the mistake. No way Kobe goes braindead and does the same thing after getting flak the 1st time around...and no way Kobe goes with his left hand on that drive.

Kobe would've taken the best shot available which is what LO did. The problem is Pau made an even better play blocking his shot.

The Sac game was a different situation. But let's spell it out.

In Sac, LA was up 4 with 35 seconds left and the ball. It was a 2 possession game. If LO simply lets the 24-sec clock run out or gets a shot off as the buzzer goes off, Sac gets the ball with only about 10 seconds left to score, foul and try to score again.

Last night, LA was up 2 with 52 seconds left and the ball. It was a 1 possession game. If LO lets the clock run down or the team gets a shot off at the buzzer, the Grizz would still have a full 24-second clock to score.

The number of possessions is the difference here.
MDMO49
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

I just watched the game this morning.

The Lakers are owned by the Grizzlies, no question. There's NO way the Lakers win a playoff series against memphis this year. But since they are the 7th seed it ain't happening anyways.

Who's to blame?

Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Kobe Bryant for their inability to contain Pau, Atkins, and EJ...

As for late game heroics, I think Lamar's dumb shot (going right? He never goes right, heck he has a hard time finishing going left!) was really the clincher. Lamar Odom is NOT clutch. That is definite. Some players act like Kobe in the 4th, others act like Chris Webber, and Lamar Odom is a Webber type.

Cook's shot was a brick, but he was wide open and it was the play to make. Granted I would've taken more time off the clock.

As for Kobe, he was way off in his game. That much is apparent. 10-28 and most of his WIDE open jumpers were off.

I think the better team won tonight. Memphis won 3 of 4 games and as bad as they have been playing they outplayed the Lakers. Their inside game is better than ours, and their defense is also.

And the .500 inconsistent team trudges on...

Chucky Atkins = Smush Parker in that game.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:

When you make a ton of $$$$$. Brought in and labeled to be the so called "PIP" to Kobe. Supposed to be the primary ball handler, meaning you KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT. You are going to have (as you should) higher expectations than say cook. Obviously EVERYONE is a pro so stupid mistakes arent welcome by anybody. LO has proven to frequently either make stupid plays or disappear all together. Injured or not he is on the court. he started off strong immediately disappearing. LO's mistake was the first of the string that ended us. We can go a couple plays prior to that and see how battier took him off the dribble and scored. there is no excuse for LO's mistakes. Bynums yes, cook at least has shown some improvement as of late. LO has regressed on this team. people would prefer to blame cook, but ultimately the team didnt get it done. OUR primary ball handler? what does that mean?
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Fact is it looked like a clear lane to the basket. If Odom makes it we likely seal the win. Players have to go for a shot if it looks like it's there, otherwise the opportunity might be lost.

It's just simply unfair to blame Odom, if Kobe had done the same thing and thought the opening was there but with the same results I don't think you would have a bunch of Kobe bashing threads as we typically do with Odom on this topic.

Also, if he didn't take it, you would say that no one else on the team is stepping up, they are standing around making kobe take all the shots...it was a good shot, it was the right thing to do...oh, and regarding his stats, it's a wonder he's even playing at all, with his injury. He can hardly use his right arm, according to stu, so I think he's doing great for playing with one arm...just remeber how the team did when he sat out...I'd rather lose by one than get blown out by 25+.

This team doesn't have enough talent on it to win consistently. That's reality. It isn't kobe's fault (although all the talking heads on the sports shows want to claim that it is because he's not making scrubs into all stars) and it's not odom's fault. He's playing his game, doing what he does...the reason he isn't scoring more is because he is never in the post...he doesn't have a consistent jump shot when healthy, let alone with this injury...he needs an off season where he can work on the shots he's going to get in the tri, so he can be more effective...he didn't get to do that last off season because he had the shoulder surgery. Lamar's job on this team isn't to be a big scorer...he's the 'point guard' getting everyone else involved. If you want him to raise his scoring level, you've got to put him in the post, where he was in miami...

You could say if a hundred different things were different, we would have won. Bashing odom for one shot that was a good shot to take is stupid. How about if kobe had made one more free throw? instead of missing two? how about if he had gone to the basket more instead of settling for so many jump shots. what if he had made even one more jumpshot? he shot a poor percentage (10-28). that's about what, 35%? we lost, in a close game. it's a game we should have won, but we didn't.

I can't believe you're going to bash odom of all people who is gutting it out through an injury. if anyone, blame kobe for shooting poorly and not doing a very good job on ej plus he initiated the last sequence with cook too early, blame kwame for letting pau get 28 points, blame smush for letting chucky look like an all star out there.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

problem is, Kobe would not make that mistake...especially after the much talked about Sacramento "incident" where Odom admitted the mistake. No way Kobe goes braindead and does the same thing after getting flak the 1st time around...and no way Kobe goes with his left hand on that drive.
:roll: Well, kobe initiated the final play (pickand pop) with cook to early in the shot clock...if he hadn't the game would probably have gone to overtime...so that's a mental mistake kobe made. don't sit there and pretend kobe never makes any mistakes, his we just let slide. Second, as stu pointed out, he had to shoot the shot with his left because he can hardly use his right arm!!!
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Because no matter what - It's always Odom's fault on here.

Cook misses an open shot - Odom caused it
Bryant air balls a three - Odom caused it
Bryant is 10-28 - Odom caused it
Kwame fouls out - Odom caused it

THe SOB is showing heart and playing through a very painful injury. Yet, It's LO's fault

stop making things up wolf...no one's blaming Odom for those...Odom is criticized for his boneheaded play, 2nd time he's done this in 20+ days. Never learns.

man wolf's gonna make things up, he's gonna do anything to make Odom look god. Don't argue with him, It's like arguing with a wall
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why is everyone bashing Odom if Cook is the guilty one?

AirKobe8 wrote:
That shot he took before Sucky's fts is what made us lose.

He was cold at the game, he was not focused, had 4Pfs, should have never taken that shot.

Odom on the other hand, went pretty well for a guy who is still injured and was clearly in pain, he almost had a triple double.

Funny that even when its not his fault people still bash Odom for a loss.

For those of you so quick to critcize Kwame, Odom, coaches, etc.

What about our team's defense? Not to mention the familiar "up by 2 with under 2' to go and we find a way to lose the game."

I don't see many threads lately ripping the team for it's horrible defense and lack of a killer instinct.

Get real and hold the team accountable. There is a greater chance Odom and company would not have been in that position (late) had we come out with some (bleep) intensity.

That's what gets me the most. Our lack of intensity. Especially coming off a rather dismal road trip. We have to come out ready to kill.

Plus, MEM is not known for their offensive skills. Their a defensive team. I thought we were as well.

Why don't you all get off the blame game. Sorry to inform you but this is a team sport.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

THe SOB is showing heart and playing through a very painful injury. Yet, It's LO's fault

stop making things up wolf...no one's blaming Odom for those...Odom is criticized for his boneheaded play, 2nd time he's done this in 20+ days. Never learns.

Obviously you don't read LG much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

40ptmachine wrote:
The problem is that Odom is our second option and scopred just 8 points

We need to get rid of his overpaid self

That's it hater... Ignore the facts and stand your ground!
He's a hater and is proud!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

40ptmachine wrote:
Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

man wolf's gonna make things up, he's gonna do anything to make Odom look god. Don't argue with him, It's like arguing with a wall

That's because you refuse to look at the whole picture and keep laying out your bizarre one liners that make absolutely no sense... Nobody said Lamar was looking good in that sequence. However there were other people involved in that loss and you as a hater have cemented your positition of being completely irrational on the matter and need to STFU...
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES:
What did you think of LO's performance for the game. Forget about the final minutes
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Wolf, I remember you said you will give Bryant your season pass right after the 81pts game. Why do you take subtle jabs at him whenever you can after he had a bad shooting night? I guess people's memory is INDEED short. Had odom had achieved 1/10 of what Byrant had achieved, I will give him a pass most of the time. Believe me, a lot of LGers will do too.

By the way, I don't know if you notice a lot of kobe's shots were short last night. That is a clear sign of fatigue. We can only wish he won't get injured any time soon with not much help from the rest of the team.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
#32MaGiC wrote:
Kobe2Lamar wrote:
Lamr is an idiot cos he only took 10 seconds off the clock before he went for a shot. If you're going to do that, you better make it.

try 8 seconds

Doesn't matter. The Grizz were going to get a full 24-sec clock to work with even if LO held the ball down to 0.

It DOES matter. If the lakers run the clock all the way down in that possesion, then after the grizz tied the game they would've had got the ball back with 12-15 sec left in the game. The worst that would've happened was OT.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
Drifts wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Kobe would've taken the best shot available which is what LO did. The problem is Pau made an even better play blocking his shot.

The Sac game was a different situation. But let's spell it out.

In Sac, LA was up 4 with 35 seconds left and the ball. It was a 2 possession game. If LO simply lets the 24-sec clock run out or gets a shot off as the buzzer goes off, Sac gets the ball with only about 10 seconds left to score, foul and try to score again.

Last night, LA was up 2 with 52 seconds left and the ball. It was a 1 possession game. If LO lets the clock run down or the team gets a shot off at the buzzer, the Grizz would still have a full 24-second clock to score.

The number of possessions is the difference here.

The reason why LO's shot was too quick was because it eliminated our 2 for 1 opportunity. If he runs the clock down to about 32 on the game clock before shooting, we get the 2 for 1. As it is, by shooting too quick, it allowed the Griz the opportunity to go 2 for 1 which ended up burning us in the end.

I also agree that Kobe and Cook initiated their play too quickly but the big bonehead manuever was LO again not recognizing the clock and the full implications.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:

40ptmachine wrote:
Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

In that case, you love to make stuff up to make him look bad. Really pathetic. It's tiring. Get over it.
KingKobe8thWonder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Odom is being bashed because he makes the same mistakes all the time!!!

After the sacto game i wouldnt even want the ball in his hands let alone driving to the hoop early as heck in the shot clock when we have the lead AND then fouling Gasol on the other end to tie the game up!!! WHat cook did is within his game, yeah it was early but who cares thats his shot and if it goes down we win and i want him to have that confidence!!

Odom however should have slown the ball down worked the clock and passed to Kobe for the go ahead jumper to put us up by 4 and seal the victory to give us the 6th seed.

Odom was responsible for this loss more then anyone! Period! He DOES not need the ball in the last minute of the game EVER AGAIN!

its good to be back!!! (got suspended for 7 days... im sowweee mods, keep doing what youre doing)
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is everyone bashing Odom if Cook is the guilty one?

LkrsOvrMia wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
That shot he took before Sucky's fts is what made us lose.

He was cold at the game, he was not focused, had 4Pfs, should have never taken that shot.

Odom on the other hand, went pretty well for a guy who is still injured and was clearly in pain, he almost had a triple double.

Funny that even when its not his fault people still bash Odom for a loss.

For those of you so quick to critcize Kwame, Odom, coaches, etc.

What about our team's defense? Not to mention the familiar "up by 2 with under 2' to go and we find a way to lose the game."

I don't see many threads lately ripping the team for it's horrible defense and lack of a killer instinct.

Get real and hold the team accountable. There is a greater chance Odom and company would not have been in that position (late) had we come out with some (bleep) intensity.

That's what gets me the most. Our lack of intensity. Especially coming off a rather dismal road trip. We have to come out ready to kill.

Plus, MEM is not known for their offensive skills. Their a defensive team. I thought we were as well.

Why don't you all get off the blame game. Sorry to inform you but this is a team sport.

Go Lakers!

I ripped the team defense and intensity all of last night. LO haters chose to focus on one play to lose the game, because that's what they were born to do.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe8thWonder wrote:

After the sacto game i wouldnt even want the ball in his hands let alone driving to the hoop early as heck in the shot clock when we have the lead AND then fouling Gasol on the other end to tie the game up!!! WHat cook did is within his game, yeah it was early but who cares thats his shot and if it goes down we win and i want him to have that confidence!!

Odom however should have slown the ball down worked the clock and passed to Kobe for the go ahead jumper to put us up by 4 and seal the victory to give us the 6th seed.

Odom was responsible for this loss more then anyone! Period! He DOES not need the ball in the last minute of the game EVER AGAIN!

its good to be back!!! (got suspended for 7 days... im sowweee mods, keep doing what youre doing)

That layup attempt wasn't a mistake. It was a great defensive stop by Gasol. Once again, do you not understand the game situation? We were up 2, it was an open path. If anything, that was a great play by Gasol to get a stop. People need to get over it. Like it was mentioned earlier, Kobe would've done the same thing, he probably would've put up a 3 though. You don't sit there wasting a possession with nearly 45 seconds left and up 2. Blame our horrible team defense down the stretch and inability to get 3 stops in that final minute.
KingKobe8thWonder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
KingKobe8thWonder wrote:

That layup attempt wasn't a mistake. It was a great defensive stop by Gasol. Once again, do you not understand the game situation? We were up 2, it was an open path. If anything, that was a great play by Gasol to get a stop. People need to get over it. Like it was mentioned earlier, Kobe would've done the same thing, he probably would've put up a 3 though. You don't sit there wasting a possession with nearly 45 seconds left and up 2. Blame our horrible team defense down the stretch and inability to get 3 stops in that final minute.

Look! Our defense has been terrible all season! Im not surprised when we dont get stops, im surprised when odom tries to play hero at the worst possible times and we lose for it!

Think about this for a sec! If Odom would have run the clock down, and THEN decided to drive the lane and get it thrown back in his face, it would have given memphis only 1 more possesion, which means if they scored we would have gone into overtime! Lamar needs to hold back on his impulse "clutch" moments, and pass the ball to Kobe!
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe8thWonder wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
KingKobe8thWonder wrote:

Look! Our defense has been terrible all season! Im not surprised when we dont get stops, im surprised when odom tries to play hero at the worst possible times and we lose for it!

Think about this for a sec! If Odom would have run the clock down, and THEN decided to drive the lane and get it thrown back in his face, it would have given memphis only 1 more possesion, which means if they scored we would have gone into overtime! Lamar needs to hold back on his impulse "clutch" moments, and pass the ball to Kobe!

Memphis still would've had 2 possessions if Lamar wasted the shotclock.

Our team defense has been inconsistent all season, when we were consistent, look back to December, we were on a nice roll. When you start allowing 100+ pts to offensively scrub teams, you won't win much at all. Indiana, CHA, NOK, Memphis... it's no wonder we've been blown out in some of those and kept it close in others. We scored 99 last night and lost, we scored 89 in Houston and won... The difference is we allowed 78 to Houston while giving up 100 to Mem. Defense is played with intensity. We're not a bad defensive team, but we come out playing more flat then the opposite. Look at the stretch to close the 2nd quarter when we were down 12. That's how the team defense should come out and play. Not for spot opportunities here and there. You need to come out focus and with that intensity. There's no shortage of talent for effort.
LA Lakers 41790
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:

My goodness u guys make it look like the game came down to just 1 play so the other 47 minutes and 50 sec didnt matter?
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:

We cant live in "what ifs". bottom line is that we had the lead late and a couple plays hurt us. LO was one that sticks out, ONLY b/c we expect more from our so called primary ball handler. the guy who more than anyone else should make sound decisions
KingKobe8thWonder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

You are exactly right i dont disagree with you but all im saying is that why arent we getting the ball in Kobes hands in the last minute??? I dont feel as bad when kobe misses because we live and die by Kobe.

Last night's loss was unnacetpable i lose sleep with losses like that... just like the sacto loss.
LA Lakers 41790
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
We cant live in "what ifs". bottom line is that we had the lead late and a couple plays hurt us. LO was one that sticks out, ONLY b/c we expect more from our so called primary ball handler. the guy who more than anyone else should make sound decisions

well didnt someone say odom had the whole right side open. I wouldve done the same thing cause it looks like an easy 2
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe8thWonder wrote:
You are exactly right i dont disagree with you but all im saying is that why arent we getting the ball in Kobes hands in the last minute??? I dont feel as bad when kobe misses because we live and die by Kobe.

Last night's loss was unnacetpable i lose sleep with losses like that... just like the sacto loss.

I see what you're saying, but Kobe did have the ball in his hands. On both possessions, and he gave up the ball for a better look to his teammates. The pass to Lamar got him the open lane to the basket, which was quickly sealed off by Gasol on a great defensive stop. The look to Cook was a wide open shot. Granted, the play started too early, but Cook taking the shot that he makes more times than not, was the opportunity that was there.

People faulting the guys that put up the attempts have to look at the playmaker in both situations who got them the looks. Could they have waited a bit longer before setting up and running the plays, maybe, but both were potentially good looks. Sometimes the breaks don't go our way. Last night was an obvious example of that in all the intangible areas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: