"Anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81 points..." Michael Jordan on Kobe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: "Anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81 points..." Michael Jordan on Kobe

Michael Jordan on Bryant's 81-point game: "Anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81 points, but if you lose, who cares? He was in a great rhythm and went out and played well, so you have to commend him for that. If I were on the other side, there would be no way I would have been able to be in that game without six fouls."

Link: http://www.courant.com/sports/basketball/hc-nbanotes0212.artfeb12,0,6352613.story?coll=hc-headlines-basketball

____

For those that insist MJ was so "classy" in his response to Kobe's 81, there you have it. Apparently, there was nothing terribly special about Kobe scoring 81. It's so easy that "anybody" can do it if they just take a lot of shots and are in a good rythym. Never mind the stamina involved whereby Chauncy Billups even said that he couldn't ever do it, because he doesn't have that level of physical fitness. Never mind that MJ, himself, never did it. Or that no one in the history of the game other than Wilt Chamberlain ever did it. What class for MJ to down play Kobe's 81 just to make the rest of the guys in the NBA feel just as gifted as Kobe Bryant. What a swell guy.

Yeah, that's real class all right. Turning the 2nd best (if not the 1st best) scoring performance in NBA history, into nothing more than a guy taking lots of shots while in a good groove.
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:

I think he was highlighting the importance of the win. It's worded in an ugly way, or at least the heading of this top is. And he is partly correct. If the other great players of the game came out shoot first for 48 minutes and got to the free throw line 20+ time they'd have a chance. I think they would have to START the game shoot first.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:

There are a couple threads that have mentioned this, just so ya know.

I think the quote actualy first came out 4 or 5 days ago. They were
talking about it on one of the TNT broadcasts too.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: "Anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81 points..." Michael Jordan on Kobe

LakerJam wrote:
Michael Jordan on Bryant's 81-point game: "Anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81 points, but if you lose, who cares? He was in a great rhythm and went out and played well, so you have to commend him for that. If I were on the other side, there would be no way I would have been able to be in that game without six fouls."

Link: http://www.courant.com/sports/basketball/hc-nbanotes0212.artfeb12,0,6352613.story?coll=hc-headlines-basketball

____

For those that insist MJ was so "classy" in his response to Kobe's 81, there you have it. Apparently, there was nothing terribly special about Kobe scoring 81. It's so easy that "anybody" can do it if they just take a lot of shots and are in a good rythym. Never mind the stamina involved whereby Chauncy Billups even said that he couldn't ever do it, because he doesn't have that level of physical fitness. Never mind that MJ, himself, never did it. Or that no one in the history of the game other than Wilt Chamberlain ever did it. What class for MJ to down play Kobe's 81 just to make the rest of the guys in the NBA feel just as gifted as Kobe Bryant. What a swell guy.

Yeah, that's real class all right. Turning the 2nd best (if not the 1st best) scoring performance in NBA history, into nothing more than a guy taking lots of shots while in a good groove.

Classic Jordan, the old backhanded self glorifying compliment. He did it to Pippen the other day when he was being honored in Chicago. He said something to the effect of him having to fight all of Pippens battles. He is incapable of a true compliment. Jordan is an egomanic.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81 points..." Michael Jordan on Kobe

Michael Jordan wrote:
Anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81 points, but if you lose, who cares?

Didn't the Lakers win that game? Purely because of Kobe scoring 70+?
Michael Jordan wrote:
He was in a great rhythm and went out and played well, so you have to commend him for that.

So if he wasn't in a great rhythm, 81 points wasn't commendable?
How about commending him just for the performance, and more importantly for winning the friggin' game single-handedly from being 18 down in the 2nd half? :roll:
Michael Jordan wrote:
If I were on the other side, there would be no way I would have been able to be in that game without six fouls.

This is something a lot of players have said, but I still don't understand. Kobe's an EXCELLENT free-throw shooter. What good is a Hack-a-Kobe strategy? If you're talking flagrant fouls, would you rather pay a fine to the league and get tossed from the game than have your opponent score 4-6 points on you? (2 flagrants = ejection)

Last edited by Wolverine on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LALfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

Yeah anyone can get 81 points Jordon I'm under the impression that if MJ ever gives anyone other than himself a genuine complement his heart will explode.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

KoolMo wrote:
I think he was highlighting the importance of the win. It's worded in an ugly way, or at least the heading of this top is. And he is partly correct. If the other great players of the game came out shoot first for 48 minutes and got to the free throw line 20+ time they'd have a chance. I think they would have to START the game shoot first.

If he's partly correct, then why has no other player even sniffed the 70+ mark in like 40 years? He's not correct. He's just trying to make Kobe's performance sound far more routine so that Kobe doesn't seem so prominant in basketball history.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

Jordan is a competitor, Jam.

Growing up (though I was in my teens and the height of immaturity) competition was all about hating your opponent and being jealous of opponent success.

But then again, these guys aren't me in high school - they are grown up Pro's.

Though, even if MJ has won 6 rings - Kobe did something he (MJ) could never do. That HAS to give him that itch he talks about. It must really piss off Jordan that the media and fans in general are seeing a SG put up a better show that he was ever able to.

Ofcourse Jordan is still the better player because he won more rings and was a smarter player in his 30's than Kobe is now - BUT What Kobe has done 2-3 games this season has been unheard of ... Even by lengends like Micheal Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

As a human Micheal should show more class. As a competitor, I expect him to hate this feeling of being one upped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

Reggie Miller has always been extremely competitive.

Not only that, but he's said some things that were on thin-ice class-wise.

Even Reggie was classy about Kobe's 81. He did that 5-minute interview
on PTI and, from those I've heard, payed Kobe more respect and
compliments for that game than any other current or former player I
heard any quotes from.

I'm with ya that lots of "competitors" will be jealous on the inside, etc of
Kobe's success (the 81 in particular right about now)... but class is still
class, and certain players just don't have it (Vince is my best example
from the comments I heard on Kobe's 81).

Jordan's I do think may have been misread a bit, but it's still pretty
shallow.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

Oh it's classless the way Jordan put it. No doubt. He hasn't really commended Kobe or come out and said anything that others have. Larry Bird, Magic, Baylor, Jabar (the guys with that kind of legend status) all have really said some very kind and classy words.

But then again - Who's place is Kobe taking with these sort of performances? The guy is one upping Jordan's great one game heroics.

That's why Jordan probably has a huge fire under his ass over this. He probably saw the hype and media twist and turn over Bryant. Kobe went from most hated to most feared.

Jordan can't really like the feeling of being one upped. I'm glad he's reacted this way. It shows that even he knows that Kobe's outdone him at a period of basketball.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

It is beyond the grasp of my mind that an 81 point performance needs to be defended.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:

Kobe doesn't get calls like Jordan did. Maybe Jordan's conscience is bothering him.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

TheQuestForSeventeen wrote:
It is beyond the grasp of my mind that an 81 point performance needs to be defended.
clone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

Anybody? Come on Mike. He just confirmed of what I knew all along: he was and will always be an A-Hole.

1949 1950 1952 1953 1954 1972 1980 1982 1985 1987 1988 2000 2001 2002 2009 2010
JayInLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:

Oh man, anything short of giving Kobe a blow-job is considered hate around here. Get a clue, he did compliment Kobe's 81. That remark might come off as snide, but I'm sure he meant nothing by it. I mean, don't expect everyone to slobber all over Kobe's nutz after such a great perfomance.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

It reminds me of Pat Riley's quote that anybody could score 81 if they shot 70 times. How about if they took 46 shots?

And how many could get themselves open that often when the other team was running defender after defender at them?

Nothing diminishes former superstars more than their reluctance to compliment their successors. You can either be gracious like Bill Russell or you can be a grumpy old man who starts every sentence with "Back in my day..."
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

Sour grapes
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

Who cares what he thinks. Kobe's performance was amazing. End of discussion.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

JayInLA wrote:
Oh man, anything short of giving Kobe a blow-job is considered hate around here. Get a clue, he did compliment Kobe's 81. That remark might come off as snide, but I'm sure he meant nothing by it. I mean, don't expect everyone to slobber all over Kobe's nutz after such a great perfomance.

Please.

Read the quotes from other legends and compare it with the one's from Pat Riley and Micheal Jordan.

You can tell who's proud and happy for Kobe - and who's jealous.

And I'm one of the last guys on this board that gets offended by something a player says about Kobe.

Jordan should have said something with class. He is a guy that Kobe looks up to and is a legend.

What Jordan said is the equivalent of Kobe telling the media that "Anyone can win with an All-Star bigman" if somehow James won a championship with the Cavs.

Think Kobe would say something that classless?
BigAssLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

Well, MJ says anybody can go out and take a lot of shots and end up with 81. Kobe took 46 shots and ended up with 81; while MJ took 49 shots (1/16/93) and ended up with under 69.

Those are the facts, end of discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

Glad I never liked that anus.
T3D
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

kobe has taken shots at jordan b4. I remember when Jordan was coming back to the league and kobe was saying how it was funny that jordan was returning when the nba was up for its tv contracct.
Warlord23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

Jordan is a competitor to the core. And can you blame him? Like Pippen said, in today's league, the guards get kid glove treatment. When the young Jordan was making his name in the league, flagrant fouls were hardly called except for really vicious blows. Hand-checking was allowed, and there were a bunch of tough, no-nonsense defensive teams that gave you no quarter. Today, the NBA tries extra hard to protect its product.

And unlike the so-called "Jordanesque" players of today (Kobe, Lebron, Tracy, Wade, Vince, et al), Jordan actually worked tremendously hard on defense. Most of the high-scoring SGs of the present day play defense once in five games, if at all. Forgive him for not being impressed. After all, he played with these same guys and dropped 20 ppg at a better shooting % at the age of 40, with a bum knee to boot.
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

Jordan said it was all about the win, right? Didn't he lose that game against the Celtics when he scored 69 points in the playoffs?
Canuck
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Just has no class!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: