The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1166, 1167, 1168 ... 2099, 2100, 2101  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Is James truly dedicated to a championship or in being close to his business interests and compiling lifetime stats.

His accolades speak for themselves. I'd like to ask you which player would have elevated last year's debacle of a team to championship heights given BI/Zo's injuries? None. Last year was terrible but truly a reset year. Not the case this year. I'd ask you to bookmark your post for future reading, b/c IMO it will be starkly different this season. We have turned over the roster from a bunch of unproven young talent to a veteran-laden team. I think the motivations will be apparent.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Is James truly dedicated to a championship or in being close to his business interests and compiling lifetime stats.

His accolades speak for themselves. I'd like to ask you which player would have elevated last year's debacle of a team to championship heights given BI/Zo's injuries? None. Last year was terrible but truly a reset year. Not the case this year. I'd ask you to bookmark your post for future reading, b/c IMO it will be starkly different this season. We have turned over the roster from a bunch of unproven young talent to a veteran-laden team. I think the motivations will be apparent.

There is no way you can convince people that Lebron didn’t mail it in last season. I have been a fan from the beginning but he was on cruise control last year. The whole activate playoff mode was embarrassing.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Can't wait to see it!

No arguing Jame's lifetime achievements are impressive. But I could care less about them. He is clearly in the conversation for GOAT. I judge him as a Laker. Last year. This year. And any future year.

I'll be watching as I have been for close to 50 years. I'll base my opinion on his and the rest of the team's performances every game as I have always done. Hope James and the current roster prove me to be a foolish old man.

I'd like nothing better then to be celebrating a Championship in June.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

There is no way you can convince people that Lebron didn’t mail it in last season. I have been a fan from the beginning but he was on cruise control last year. The whole activate playoff mode was embarrassing.

That's my point. He was injured and then took his feet off the throttle. Who could have elevated that team to the Finals with Zo and BI getting hurt? No one. Not worth breaking your body. It's a longer horizon than just one season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I’m not going to give someone who makes tens of millions of dollars a pass for slacking off. True Laker legends don’t do that. Lebron has a lot to prove.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sorry, I’m not going to give someone who makes tens of millions of dollars a pass for slacking off. True Laker legends don’t do that. Lebron has a lot to prove.

OK. Cool story, especially when you gave someone who went balls to the walls 24/7 such grief (Kobe) over the years.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's my point. He was injured and then took his feet off the throttle. Who could have elevated that team to the Finals with Zo and BI getting hurt? No one. Not worth breaking your body. It's a longer horizon than just one season.

You are misrepresenting or mis-remembering the season.

His lack of intensity and leadership to his "new Laker team" was from game one. They had disappointing losses early and at full roster strength. He was noticeably coasting on defense and on rebounding from the start of the season.

It was a season long issue. Not just when the injuries piled up or James "throttled down" and came back to add to his stats at the end of the season instead of shutting it down as even you seem to suggest.

Not suggesting the Lakers were ready for the Finals last year. But iirc the plan was to build chemistry and make the playoffs with James as the face of the franchise. To be ready to add a marquee free agent to the mix this summer.

Sorry I judge James harshly for his lack of leadership and effort from the start of the season not just the last 20 games.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

His lack of intensity and leadership to his "new Laker team" was from game one. They had disappointing losses early and at full roster strength. He was noticeably coasting on defense and on rebounding from the start of the season.

It was a season long issue. Not just when the injuries piled up or James "throttled down" and came back to add to his stats at the end of the season instead of shutting it down as even you seem to suggest.

Not suggesting the Lakers were ready for the Finals last year. But iirc the plan was to build chemistry and make the playoffs with James as the face of the franchise. To be ready to add a marquee free agent to the mix this summer.

Sorry I judge James harshly for his lack of leadership and effort from the start of the season not just the last 20 games.

Lakers were top 4 in the West by XMAS. You know he routinely ramps up his game up through the year. That injury derailed him. And when he returned, his body couldn't cash the checks that his mouth wrote. And smartly, they called it off when BI/ZO also got hurt.

I don't get the romanticization with being the guy who breaks his body down at the altar of "you're paid millions so hustle all the time." That isn't today's NBA.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Lakers were top 4 in the West by XMAS. You know he routinely ramps up his game up through the year. That injury derailed him. And when he returned, his body couldn't cash the checks that his mouth wrote. And smartly, they called it off when BI/ZO also got hurt.

I don't get the romanticization with being the guy who breaks his body down at the altar of "you're paid millions so hustle all the time." That isn't today's NBA.

I will go back to what I saw. He coasted all season long.

When he returned from his injury it was amazing how he somehow found the strength to run the floor for a thunder dunk but then was "injured" when he was asked to play defense or block out on the boards.

As to the Kobe reference. I was critical of his final years too. He settled too much for the bad shot and that same annoying selective defensive efforts IMO. I was not thrilled they gave him a lifetime achievement max contract but understood the logic for an icon that gave the franchise 17 years and the team with moderate expectations.

But I would not have been happy with signing Kobe as a free agent or building a contending team around him in those Farewell Tour years anymore then I am with the decision to do so with James.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:

When he returned from his injury it was amazing how he somehow found the strength to run the floor for a thunder dunk but then was "injured" when he was asked to play defense or block out on the boards.

I'm sorry. But this is so petty.

1. do you agree by XMAS before he got hurt he was spearheading the team to a top 4 standing in the WC?

2. did you want him to break his body after BI/Zo got hurt just b/c?

You have to think longer than 1 year. Those are microcosms. There's a bigger picture involved here and now we see it. It's a 2 year championship window now.

If he acts the way he did last year with this veteran laden championship roster, sure I'll agree with you.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

1. do you agree by XMAS before he got hurt he was spearheading the team to a top 4 standing in the WC?

You have to think longer than 1 year. Those are microcosms. There's a bigger picture involved here and now we see it. It's a 2 year championship window now.

If he acts the way he did last year with this veteran laden championship roster, sure I'll agree with you.

Awesome. James chooses to coast and show questionable leadership in his first year as a Laker. After taking max payment and the face of the franchise role... yet I'm petty?

Curious if you will be forgiving of Davis if he chooses to "coast" this year on defense too? Maybe he want Cousins back or another best buddy to be on the team before he gives full effort?

Lakers don't get last year back. But I'll be watching for James' increased intensity and leadership this season. No guarantees of any two year plan. Who knows what the roster looks like next year.

Championship or bust!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Awesome. James chooses to coast and show questionable leadership in his first year as a Laker. After taking max payment and the face of the franchise role... yet I'm petty?

Curious if you will be forgiving of Davis if he chooses to "coast" this year on defense too? Maybe he want Cousins back or another best buddy to be on the team before he gives full effort?

Lakers don't get last year back. But I'll be watching for James' increased intensity and leadership this season. No guarantees of any two year plan. Who knows what the roster looks like next year.

Championship or bust!

It is. B/c you acknowledged it was after coming back from injury and after BI/Zo went down.

Why would AD "coast" this year with LBJ and a veteran championship caliber core?

You conflate last year with this season. That's the mistake.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Championship or bust!

My feeling early on wasn't that he was coasting, but allowing everyone to play their game while slowly integrating himself into the offense. He came into the season in tip top shape. It was the FO's plan to sign a bunch of ball handler's so Lebron wouldn't have to do all the creating. It was by design. So he allowed others to play their game. To me that is good leadership, imho of course.

After the injury, it was obvious he was coasting and stat padding.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Championship or bust!

It is. B/c you acknowledged it was after coming back from injury and after BI/Zo went down.

Why would AD "coast" this year with LBJ and a veteran championship caliber core?

You conflate last year with this season. That's the mistake.

I have stated repeatedly it was more then post injury. James was coasting on defense early in the season. Some have stated he hasn't shown consistent effort on defense for a couple years.

My criticisms of his slow rotations, close-outs or boxing out on rebounds was early in the season too.

My satirical comment about his selective efforts after the return from injury was simply anecdotal. My mistake was in expecting more.

This season will show if he can produce more as you and others continue to insist or if what we saw last year is what an aging James looks like and can contribute on a consistent basis.

This is not even taking into account the expected load management nights off. How many games off? Who fills the void in those games? Will losing a couple winnable games when he is out cost the Lakers home court?

Despite this discussion being critical of last season and the overall plan I am excited for the season and to see how this plays out. James is a great player. The overall roster has a lot of positives.

Just in the extremely competitive Western Conference the margin for error is small. The flaws I am concerned about only make that margin smaller. Especially in what you even concede is a two year window at best.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Why would PG13 leave WB/OKC to join a bunch of unproven players? He LEFT the Pacers b/c he complained about not having a 2nd all star. He's not a leader; he's a follower. I don't buy he would come by himself and predictably, folks here would be complaining about why we didn't go after LBJ in 2018.

I think KL just wants to be his own man. He knows that PG13 doesn't threaten that perch.

Regardless of what PG13 is, I do believe his intent was to come to LA. I’m not saying LBJ/AD was the wrong choice, just that there were other ways to return to contention.

The clippers took advantage of guys who wanted LA. There probably is no AD, but on the other side you could say there might be more young guys around.

Different iterations. Let’s see what comes of the Klutch model LBJ/AD and a bunch of vets.

If his true intention was to return to LA, he should have joined LBJ. Clearly, he's fine being a 2nd option at best and not the face and leader of the team.

He's just a fickle and weird dude as we've come to see. I'm not sure when it's championship time, he's the one a team should be relying on (and I was 1000% all in for PG in 2018).

PG is a guy that's easily manipulated. The Lakers never had the chance to have his undivided attention. Remember, Presti said it was critical to sign him before Magic had the chance to get a meeting with him. He had Westbrook in his ear talking about "brotherhood" and "unfinished business" for weeks before free agency started. That summer was his golden opportunity to control his own destiny but he let others talk him out of entering free agency.

And then, he sat down and met with Kawhi on his personal time and was convinced to demand a trade. Manipulated again.

The Lakers just never had their chance to get in his ear. Rob getting caught tampering when he was still in Indy really hurt their chances. That effectively cut off all communication. So OKC and Kawhi had the upper hand both times.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Why would PG13 leave WB/OKC to join a bunch of unproven players? He LEFT the Pacers b/c he complained about not having a 2nd all star. He's not a leader; he's a follower. I don't buy he would come by himself and predictably, folks here would be complaining about why we didn't go after LBJ in 2018.

I think KL just wants to be his own man. He knows that PG13 doesn't threaten that perch.

Regardless of what PG13 is, I do believe his intent was to come to LA. I’m not saying LBJ/AD was the wrong choice, just that there were other ways to return to contention.

The clippers took advantage of guys who wanted LA. There probably is no AD, but on the other side you could say there might be more young guys around.

Different iterations. Let’s see what comes of the Klutch model LBJ/AD and a bunch of vets.

If his true intention was to return to LA, he should have joined LBJ. Clearly, he's fine being a 2nd option at best and not the face and leader of the team.

He's just a fickle and weird dude as we've come to see. I'm not sure when it's championship time, he's the one a team should be relying on (and I was 1000% all in for PG in 2018).

PG is a guy that's easily manipulated. The Lakers never had the chance to have his undivided attention. Remember, Presti said it was critical to sign him before Magic had the chance to get a meeting with him. He had Westbrook in his ear talking about "brotherhood" and "unfinished business" for weeks before free agency started. That summer was his golden opportunity to control his own destiny but he let others talk him out of entering free agency.

And then, he sat down and met with Kawhi on his personal time and was convinced to demand a trade. Manipulated again.

The Lakers just never had their chance to get in his ear. Rob getting caught tampering when he was still in Indy really hurt their chances. That effectively cut off all communication. So OKC and Kawhi had the upper hand both times.

Or maybe he simply didn’t want to play with James or on a media driven team
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

PG probably fancied himself the king of LA. It's not like LBJ/Lakers was some high level secret. He made it be known through leaks and such that he was and has been interested in being a Laker for a long time.

But when push came to shove he was won over by OKC/WB.

Then one summer latter KL and Clips win him over.

He is easily manipulated. The one time in his life he had a chance to show some backbone he ran back to OKC (only to want out a year later).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have stated repeatedly it was more then post injury. James was coasting on defense early in the season. Some have stated he hasn't shown consistent effort on defense for a couple years.

My criticisms of his slow rotations, close-outs or boxing out on rebounds was early in the season too.

But this wasn't a great secret. He's been carrying such a heavy offensive load that defensively, he is of course going to dial it back. Kobe did this for years. Harden does it now. You can't be a true 2 way player for 40mpg, 80 games per year.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Bron still running that voluntary mini-camp?
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

PG.LeBron
SG.Green
SF.Kuzma
PF.Davis
C.Kostas

I want to see this line up
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Bron still running that voluntary mini-camp?

im wondering the same, it was supposed to start 9/22 but havent seen a peep yet but i see pics of players still at Lakers facilities.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Or maybe he really does want to win?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Is that what kids are calling "unfinished business today?"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Some call it “activate playoff mode”.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Some call it “activate playoff mode”.

Both have no excuses now, huh?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1166, 1167, 1168 ... 2099, 2100, 2101  Next
Page 1167 of 2101
Jump to: