Anyone worried about Kwame?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Anyone worried about Kwame?

The boobirds were out at Staples.

It is rare that the Staples crowd gets on one player. This is a really scary thought for Kwame's developpment.

We can't have Washington all over again - where the home crowd is booing him.

You ask me, Phil needs to bring him off the bench. Too much expectations from him as a starter.

His best role was when he first came back from injury and played off the bench. That way we had no expectations from him. Whatever we got from him was a bonus as opposed to being a starter that you expect things from.

Thoughts? And guys please don't just blatantly bash him - we have had enough threads of that - What do you guys think about him coming in as the first big off the bench? Do you think that's better for his confidence and to lower expectations?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Well, it's hard not to get frustrated when Kwame wastes so many looks under the basket. His hands are still terrible.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I agree 100%. I really like the KwaMihm combination at center. Right now the only thing I see wrong with it is leaving Bynum with fewer minutes.
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

Wolf, if he comes off the bench who's starting at center?

Last edited by Pappy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

Charles wrote:
Well, it's hard not to get frustrated when Kwame wastes so many looks under the basket. His hands are still terrible.

That's obvious.

But do you think it's better he comes off the bench?

That way he can not be a primary post option. Just let him be a backup Center that can give a team some size and energy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Pappy wrote:
if he comes off the bench who's starting at center?

Mihm.

If not, then play small ball like the Suns do.

Start Kwame only when you really need the matchup at C.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

The Staples Center crowd has the memory of a house-fly..The boos won't become a trend like it was in Washington.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Pappy wrote:

Mihm.

he is coming back you know.i agree,bring him off the bench and start cook because he seems to be way more effective as a starter
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
The Staples Center crowd has the memory of a house-fly..The boos won't become a trend like it was in Washington.

I hope so.

We owe him a ton of money and the last thing we need is another Washington situation

Do you recall the last time a Laker player was booed that bad?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Pappy wrote:

Mihm.

he is coming back you know.i agree,bring him off the bench and start cook because he seems to be way more effective as a starter

Exactly.

Just like we were doing when Kwame first came back from injury. That was his best role. He actually had a few nice games for us.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Once Mihm is back, Kwame will most like start coming off the bench. I think Cook or George will end up taking the starting spot away from him. The bad thing about bringing Kwame off the bench though is it makes it almost impossible for Bynum to get out on the floor.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't much like the starting FC of Kwame and Mihm together anyway. Kwame should come off the bench right after Mihm. I believe there was a stretch of games where this was happening and we did very well. We should go back to it.

However, I think at the moment with Mihm out, Kwame should be the starter. I'm not all for a small line up because the West teams have a lot of big bodies. We need a cohesive unit that has a big man like Kwame in it. As long as Kwame can catch the ball and make plays, then he should be fine. Perhaps the best way for him to score is to rebound the ball and get dunks. He was doing an excellent job of this on Sat.
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

I hope so.

We owe him a ton of money and the last thing we need is another Washington situation

Do you recall the last time a Laker player was booed that bad?

staples, it nevers boos its players, the last time i remember that happening was when jelani mccoy made about five TO's in a row.

JELANI MCCOY, kwame don't turn into JELANI MCCOY
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
I don't much like the starting FC of Kwame and Mihm together anyway. Kwame should come off the bench right after Mihm. I believe there was a stretch of games where this was happening and we did very well. We should go back to it.

However, I think at the moment with Mihm out, Kwame should be the starter. I'm not all for a small line up because the West teams have a lot of big bodies. We need a cohesive unit that has a big man like Kwame in it. As long as Kwame can catch the ball and make plays, then he should be fine. Perhaps the best way for him to score is to rebound the ball and get dunks. He was doing an excellent job of this on Sat.

Agreed.

Well if they do play him long minutes, atleast understand that he's not going to be a post player on most nights. Why they still give him the ball in the post to create his own shot is BEYOND me.

It's as if they are asking him to fail.

Keep it simple with Kwame. Play him in the Dennis Rodman role where his only job is rebounding and defense. And literally tell that to Kwame. DO NOT shoot the ball unless you are WIDE open.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

They need to stop force-feeding him. Let him just rebound and play D...
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

There are some sections of Staples that were booing at Lamar for his crappy play. Not this game but others.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Kwame was terrible tonight. I mean the Lakers fans are pretty laid back, you really have to suck in order to tick them off that bad. I remember at least 3 or 4 nice passes that he simply drops right out of bounds. I'm not even mentioning those shots he got blocked. Like Stu was saying, why do you try to be fancy and use the glass when all season long it hasn't work? You're 6 foot 11, go up and dunk the damn ball! Phil should fine him a thousand dollar every time he doesn't try to dunk the ball up close.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Kwame realizes it's too early for him to have a scorer's mentality. When he had 18 vs. Memphis, it was mostly putbacks and offensive rebounds. He should listen to Phil and think Rodman/Ben Wallace. He certainly has the physical tools to defend bangers and rebound the ball.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I've been worried about Kwame since I lived in D.C. when he was first drafted

Just a shame Kwame doesn't worry more about Kwame.
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

he needs to live in the mess he created himself. He has no fire, no heart, no hands. Theres a reason why he was booed out of Washington, and theres a reason why the Staple's crowd is starting to boo him.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

He needs a note not a letter:

CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!!
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Why do people think Kwame has good D. He does not. Gasol got his average in the first quarter last night. Kwame is garbage and should be used 15-20 min tops. And that is only until Mihm is back to cut those minutes down further.

Kwame Brown is a poor mans Samaki Walker. He is the sorriest Laker in history and is making more than 98% of them ever have.

I cant blame Mitch for this one either. Who would have thought Kwame could be this bad. We get the better end of the deal if Kwame is just 9/9/2/2. I mean for 8 million that should be attainable. In 30 minutes, he should average atleast 8-9 boards just because of his size.

I wouldn't mind going small until Mihm is back in the lineup. I would start Smush/Kobe/George/Odom/Cook. I think Cook can play against Centers in the West. He gets killed by Power Forwards, but Cook is a big guy, he can play against Centers. Sasha/Bynum/Walton/Kwame off the bench in that order.

And last but not least, Why the hell would Phil play Sasha/Walton/Kwame/Green at the same time in the 2nd
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Kwame has good post-defense, individually.

He's terrible on rotations.

Early in the season that was understandable, given his newness to the
roster and system, but it's getting past that point and he doesn't seem
to be getting any better about it.

As for his offense, he's still doing what he did in Washington (in fact
maybe worse, IMO) - where he turns too quick and doesn't use enough
finess around the hoop.

His defense is in fact better than it was in Washington, IMO.

No expert, but I lived there most of his time with the Wiz and saw a good
bit of his play early in his career.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
Why do people think Kwame has good D. He does not. Gasol got his average in the first quarter last night. Kwame is garbage and should be used 15-20 min tops. And that is only until Mihm is back to cut those minutes down further.

Kwame Brown is a poor mans Samaki Walker. He is the sorriest Laker in history and is making more than 98% of them ever have.

I cant blame Mitch for this one either. Who would have thought Kwame could be this bad. We get the better end of the deal if Kwame is just 9/9/2/2. I mean for 8 million that should be attainable. In 30 minutes, he should average atleast 8-9 boards just because of his size.

I wouldn't mind going small until Mihm is back in the lineup. I would start Smush/Kobe/George/Odom/Cook. I think Cook can play against Centers in the West. He gets killed by Power Forwards, but Cook is a big guy, he can play against Centers. Sasha/Bynum/Walton/Kwame off the bench in that order.

And last but not least, Why the hell would Phil play Sasha/Walton/Kwame/Green at the same time in the 2nd

I agree, he's being paid money to play at a 15pt/10rb level and he certainly has the capability to do so. He just lacks aggressiveness and consistency. He could use some court smarts and a midrange jumper also. Everytime he makes a mistake he just slaps his hands together instead of hustling. You want to take out your frustration? Slap the ball away from the opposing player and dunk with passion.

Cook can't play D against anyone. He's purely just an offensive player. Kwame's better in that department.

Phil played those guys just to see how they'd do. Just an experiment in early garbage time.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
Kwame was terrible tonight. I mean the Lakers fans are pretty laid back, you really have to suck in order to tick them off that bad. I remember at least 3 or 4 nice passes that he simply drops right out of bounds. I'm not even mentioning those shots he got blocked. Like Stu was saying, why do you try to be fancy and use the glass when all season long it hasn't work? You're 6 foot 11, go up and dunk the damn ball! Phil should fine him a thousand dollar every time he doesn't try to dunk the ball up close.

That's quite true, about Laker fans. They aren't like some cities, where they will boo their own player every time he steps on the court, every game. Kwame will only hear it when he is extra sucky, like tonight. It won't be Washington, where people went to the game just to boo and heckle him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: