Laker Report: They Have to Be Trying to Improve, Right?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:

LAL25 wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
emplay wrote:
The Lakers have been a relatively conservative organization.

Hmmm...The Lakers traded for two RFA's that had been busts through their first four years (Mihm and Brown) and made them starters. They drafted with their highest draft pick since 1994 a high school kid who really didn't play much high school ball and whose teams never did anything while he was on it. Their draft pick before that was a 20 year old Slovenian. The starting PG this season is a player whose prior experience in the NBA was being a bust with three other NBA teams. They traded away their 6th man from last season to clear a roster spot for an undrafted rookie that doesn't have a jump shot.

If those are the actions of a relatively conservative organization, I wonder what daring organizations do?

Being daring as the byproduct of desperation isn't something to laud.

That wasn't desperation. They didn't draft Bynum out of desperation, they drafted him because they saw something in him we all see. They didn't trade for Mihm because they were desperate, it was a calculated move. They didn't sign Smush because they were desperate, they signed him because he earned a spot with his play in summer league.
LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
LAL25 wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
emplay wrote:

Hmmm...The Lakers traded for two RFA's that had been busts through their first four years (Mihm and Brown) and made them starters. They drafted with their highest draft pick since 1994 a high school kid who really didn't play much high school ball and whose teams never did anything while he was on it. Their draft pick before that was a 20 year old Slovenian. The starting PG this season is a player whose prior experience in the NBA was being a bust with three other NBA teams. They traded away their 6th man from last season to clear a roster spot for an undrafted rookie that doesn't have a jump shot.

If those are the actions of a relatively conservative organization, I wonder what daring organizations do?

Eric made the statement that "Lakers have been a relatively conservative organization" and I challenged the truthfulness of that statement.

Were the daring moves worthy of laud? Let's see:

Was trading for Mihm and making him a starter a good move? Yes
Was trading for Brown and making him a starter a good move? Too early to tell, but leaning towards no
Was drafting Bynum a good move? Too early to tell, but leaning towards yes
Was making Smush their starting PG a good move? Yes
Was trading away JJ to keep Green a good move? Too early to tell, but leaning towards no

5 gambles, two of which have paid off, one of which looks like it will pay off and two that aren't looking so good. I am happy with that. Of course, the bash Mitch crowd would complain even if all 5 gambles had succeeded.

Trading for Mihm and starting him: Neutral. He is not really starting quality, solid backup yes but not a reliable starting center considering his foul proneness.

Trading for Brown and starting him: Too early to tell

Drafting Bynum: Good move, I'll give Mitch that one.

Signing Smush and starting him: signing him good, starting him bad.

Trading JJ: not good.

Signing Walton to a contract: not good

Drafting Sasha instead of David Harrison: not good at all

Drafting Cook instead of Barbosa: I still think not good

Not insisting on the 2nd round pick when Boston re-did the Mihm trade after GP threw a tantrum: not good

Signing Aaron Mckie: too LATE to tell, not good.

I can continue...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

This happens every deadline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I personally don't mind K-Mart. I think there are bad attitudes there, but every once in a while you find a really good store to shop at with some good deals.

OK, metaphors aside, while I am not a K-Mart fan, his toughness is something the Lakers are really lacking. For all the talk there is here about Smush and Sasha (and Chucky before them) just letting opposing PGs slash to the basket uncontested, how much of that would continue to happen if the opposing PG knew there was someone back there who would be very willing to lay out some pain if they kept trying it? I see K-Mart as that person, and very willing to do it.

But I have a question. How does one gauge who would be good for the triangle offense? Is Martin a good passer? Can he grasp offenses? Does anyone have his contract to see how long it lasts and how bad it is? What would it take for the Lakers to make that trade (just numbers-wise)? Then we get into what the Lakers would offer and what Kiki would take.

Eric, your signals are not very subtle. Why the change in heart this time and frank openness?

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

About 10 millions/year, lasts thru 2009/2010 with a player option for one more year.

Bad, bad contract. No donut for you.

LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Is it okay if I say it again if we miss the playoffs?
LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
LAL25 wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
emplay wrote:

That wasn't desperation. They didn't draft Bynum out of desperation, they drafted him because they saw something in him we all see. They didn't trade for Mihm because they were desperate, it was a calculated move. They didn't sign Smush because they were desperate, they signed him because he earned a spot with his play in summer league.

I'm sorry, my comment was too vague. Bynum was a good pick and Smush was a good signing as a bench pg. Starting Mihm, trading for Brown, and starting Smush seems a bit desperate to me though.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

LAL25 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Is it okay if I say it again if we miss the playoffs?

No.

But considering last time we missed the playoffs we had no Head Coach and this time we do have one who thinks "without a doubt" the Lakers can make the playoffs, then I don't think it's too much of a concern

This team has shown all season they can stay at .500 or better. Now they have the easiest part of their schedule ahead of them.

Winning 44 games is very realistic.

And I would LOVE a trade to happen. Don't think I am promoting what we have right now. It's just that I know to make a deal - the Lakers have to give up something good. And when you do that - you must make sure what's coming in is worth it.

Look at the Caron-Kwame swap. That's what happens when you trade for the sake of trading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Quote:
The Bottom Line
It just seems so obvious the Lakers need to make a move at the deadline; yet the message the team has been sending seems to say the opposite.

With the heights Kobe Bryant has reached individually this season, it would be a shame not to surround that talent with the needed pieces to make a serious playoff run.

Not a run in 2007 or 2008, but actually in 2006.

The Lakers have to be working on a deal, right?

How could it even be possible that they're not?

Imagine how Kobe must feel and the frustration he is going through.

Lakers are content with playing it conservative, saving money and waiting. However, Kobe, along with all great players, cannot play at the level Kobe is at forever. In addition, Kobe is watching his LA neighbors (Clippers) make a legitimate run at the championship after he chose not to join them during his free agency.

For every frustrated Lakers fan, imagine how Kobe must be feeling!

How could it even be possible that they're not considering Kobe?

Im sure that The clips probably would have stopped shopping if they got Kobe. They pick up all thier aquistions after Kobe signed with Lakers.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

OMG, I was about to post a different comment when I got it.

NICE.

MIM
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Word. EVERY year.

Imagine before the Internet and deals just HAPPENED, with no advance news or rumors to go by, other than what was published in the newspapers?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
With the heights Kobe Bryant has reached individually this season, it would be a shame not to surround that talent with the needed pieces to make a serious playoff run

Who cares about this?

I don't.

I care what the Lakers do - and it's not about patting Kobe on the back for his great performances it's about doing what's best for them, longterm.

The 130 million dollars or so that he will make in the coming years is more than enough. Not to mention they broke down the entire make up of the team to re-build yet did re-sign him to a huge deal. That's enough patting on the back and motovation for him. At a time when every piece of the championship Lakers were being shipped or let go - Kobe was brought back at a huge contract. That should be enough to show that they want him a Laker for life.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
I can only assume it was a condition of the deal - sign with us and once Yao and Amare extend - we in turn will guarantee your third year.

If that was indeed true then it should have been no deal. You can't sign a player with that kind of history to that big of a contract. He'll make 9 million in 2007. NINE MILLION! It would have been better to let Butler walk for nothing this offseason than to take on a contract like that...of course if we would have kept Butler, he'd probably be in Indy right now if you catch my drift.

And just for the record, I think K-Mart is a hole and would much rather shop at Target Center. It sucks that I just never have enough to actually shop there.
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

Savory Griddles wrote:
emplay wrote:
I can only assume it was a condition of the deal - sign with us and once Yao and Amare extend - we in turn will guarantee your third year.

If that was indeed true then it should have been no deal. You can't sign a player with that kind of history to that big of a contract. He'll make 9 million in 2007. NINE MILLION! It would have been better to let Butler walk for nothing this offseason than to take on a contract like that...of course if we would have kept Butler, he'd probably be in Indy right now if you catch my drift.

And just for the record, I think K-Mart is a hole and would much rather shop at Target Center. It sucks that I just never have enough to actually shop there.

My absolute pipe dream right now is a three way that nets the Wolves both Odom and KMart, KG to LAL, cap space to Nuggets. Would that be enough value for the Wolves? Lesson learned, though: never get high on your own supply.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Laker Report: They Have to Be Trying to Improve, Right?

emplay wrote:
Here's my latest at HOOPSWORLD.com

link

Enjoy!

You are the voice of the Lakers...you put their issues out there and you gently prodded them in the right direction...

Not only that, you are like the messenger for the pretty girl who is too stuck up to ask for a date, even though she's crushing on the guy...you make the overtures for her so that she can keep the upperhand in the relationship (or potential relationship)...

"You called us, we didn't call you"

Subtle...putting that "store" in there was VERY subtle...

Noone can blame you, though, those with eyes to see will get the picture...

I loved it!!!! Classic Emplay!!!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by GameCock-MD on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

I don't really second-guess Mitch with the draft picks. A lot of GMs passed on the players that are constantly brought up.

However, what I do not like, are the blown opportunities with MLE's and expiring contracts.

In our "re-build," the two MLE's have been used on Vlade Divac and Aaron McKie. Make that one and a HALF MLE's.

Then, Vlade's expiring k wasn't used. Still too early to tell if Slava and DG's will be used.

THOSE are the missed opportunities that bother me, and make me thank my lucky stars that we have KB8 and are still in the playoff hunt.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

Disconcerting comment from the article:

The Lakers have no intention to trade Odom at this deadline, unless a very short list of players becomes available. Be certain to know that every name on that list will be participating in the All-Star Game on Sunday night.

I sincerely hope that the Lakers haven't limited themselves (in terms of trading Odom) to just '06 All-Stars. Off the top of my head I can think of two former AS's (Steve Francis & Shard Lewis) that would upgrade the present team. Francis is definitely available and there have been rumors that Lewis might be as well.

Outside of a player who is clearly aging/injury-plagued/very unhappy, I can't see another team giving up a legit All-Star for Lamar Odom (as a center-piece).
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:

The Lakers have no intention to trade Odom at this deadline, unless a very short list of players becomes available. Be certain to know that every name on that list will be participating in the All-Star Game on Sunday night.

I sincerely hope that the Lakers haven't limited themselves (in terms of trading Odom) to just '06 All-Stars. Off the top of my head I can think of two former AS's (Steve Francis & Shard Lewis) that would upgrade the present team. Francis is definitely available and there have been rumors that Lewis might be as well.

Outside of a player who is clearly aging/injury-plagued/very unhappy, I can't see another team giving up a legit All-Star for Lamar Odom (as a center-piece).

KMart and Rashard would round out a NICE team... then use MLE for PG.

Emplay, any news on the Marco Jaric front? Any interest from the Lakers?
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
And 1 wrote:

I'd pee all over myself if they got that done...

That would be Kobe, 2nd option A (Shard) and 2nd option B (K-Mart)...

WCF...no doubt in my mind about that...
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
TG711 wrote:
And 1 wrote:

I too would pee myself....alot
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
TG711 wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Just for clarification...

I'm not proposing that the Lakers trade Lamar Odom for either of the above-mentioned players.

Well, that's not entirely true, but I digress...

My main point is that, according to emplay, the only way LO gets traded is if it involves a player who will be playing in the AS game.

If this is true, then I believe the Lakers are exercising the same short-sighted thinking that get them to consider Odom "untouchable" during this past off-season.

Steve Francis is unhappy in Orlando for whatever reason. His poor attitude and actions has likely cost him a slot on the AS team. But he's a perennial AS nonetheless.

After making the AS team for the first time last season, Lewis failed to make it this year despite posting some impressive numbers. Hey, it happens (just ask Elton Brand). But because Lewis didn't make the AS team this season, we wouldn't give up LO for him?

It just doesn't seem to make sense.

In addition to those who will be playing in the All-Star Game, the Lakers should be looking to acquire ANY player who will make this roster better - now and for the furture.

Last edited by And 1 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
bounty wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
TG711 wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Just for clarification...

I'm not proposing that the Lakers trade Lamar Odom for either of the above-mentioned players.

Well, that's not entirely true, but I digress...

My main point is that, according to emplay, the only way LO gets traded is if it involves a player who will be playing in the AS game.

If this is true, then I believe the Lakers are exercising the same short-sighted thinking that get them to consider Odom "untouchable" during this past off-season.

Steve Francis is unhappy in Orlando for whatever reason. His poor attitude and actions has likely cost him a slot on the AS team. But he's a perennial AS nonetheless.

After making the AS team for the first time last season, Lewis failed to make it this year despite posting some impressive numbers. Hey, it happens (just ask Elton Brand). But because Lewis didn't make the AS team this season, we wouldn't give LO for him?

It just doesn't seem to make sense.

In addition to those who will be playing in the All-Star Game, the Lakers should be looking to acquire ANY player who will make this roster better - now and for the furture.

I hear you, and agree
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
With the heights Kobe Bryant has reached individually this season, it would be a shame not to surround that talent with the needed pieces to make a serious playoff run

Who cares about this?

I don't.

I care what the Lakers do - and it's not about patting Kobe on the back for his great performances it's about doing what's best for them, longterm.

Ummm, so the whole point is to win championships right?

So we have arguabley the best player in the game playing arguabley some of the greatest ball ever. I don't know, but that seems like a reasonable place to start building a contender. Not like, oh, 6 years from now. If I have to choose between winning and Kobe's individual accomplishments, obviously the team comes first. But since those individual accomplishments tend to put the team in a position to win, well, put two and two together.

I don't really see the point in willfully ignoring the opportunity to win now and then think about rebuilding at some point in the future. Doesn't make sense. To win later they're going to need to get a player of Kobe's caliber. But they have that player now. Should I spell this out again?

Quote:
Not to mention they broke down the entire make up of the team to re-build

There was nothing to break down once they unloaded Shaq. Buss's penny pinching over the years and Mitch's bad drafts/decisions/lack of balls to stand up to Buss or Phil basically depleted the team of talent. There was nothing to break down after they shipped off Shaq.

Quote:
At a time when every piece of the championship Lakers were being shipped or let go

Shaq aside, again, there wasn't much to ship out or let go.

Quote:
That should be enough to show that they want him a Laker for life.

Yeah, because Kobe puts butts in the seats. That doesn't show they are hell bent on winning at all costs in the near term.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

all Im saying is get me RLewis for LO, im peeing myself
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Ummm, so the whole point is to win championships right?

And you win with big's inside that can play the game.

Quote:
So we have arguabley the best player in the game playing arguabley some of the greatest ball ever

Best individual games ever.

Team game - Kobe does not impact his team the way Duncan and Nash do.

Quote:
don't know, but that seems like a reasonable place to start building a contender. Not like, oh, 6 years from now. If I have to choose between winning and Kobe's individual accomplishments, obviously the team comes first. But since those individual accomplishments tend to put the team in a position to win, well, put two and two together.

Not really.

Kobe was a 25-27 ppg scorer when we won rings. He was always the 2nd highest scorer on average overall. There was times where he was better than Shaq and more important, but the common theme was Shaq.

Without impact inside - Kobe can get whatever he wants. He won't win anything. The Lakers need an interior player that can match up with Amare, Duncan etc.

Quote:
I don't really see the point in willfully ignoring the opportunity to win now and then think about rebuilding at some point in the future. Doesn't make sense. To win later they're going to need to get a player of Kobe's caliber. But they have that player now. Should I spell this out again

There's a difference between winning 50 games now as opposed to 44. There's a difference between winninng 60 games in the future as opposed to always being a 50 win team that comes up short.

They don't want to make moves that just make them better but not good enough to win it all. If that happens, you are tied to a roster that doesn't have enough to win rings but will be a 50 win team every season.

Quote:
There was nothing to break down once they unloaded Shaq. Buss's penny pinching over the years and Mitch's bad drafts/decisions/lack of balls to stand up to Buss or Phil basically depleted the team of talent. There was nothing to break down after they shipped off Shaq.

Interesting. I recall a Karl Malone and Gary Payton on the team. I recall veteran role players like Derick Fisher and Rick Fox on the team. There was a very solid core of veterans on that 2003-2004 team that were either traded or not re-signed.

It was to get younger and re-build. No reason to keep around old veterans that would make you deeper and better but not really allow you to develop young players. Not to mention, you would have to pay big amounts to re-sign some of them.

Quote:
Shaq aside, again, there wasn't much to ship out or let go

Mihm was aquired from the Payton trade.

And yes you are right. Apart from Shaq and Payton - Lakers had no real trade bait. So it's harder to aquire talent with aging veterans. Hence you have to re-build and aquire talent over the coming years.

Quote:
Yeah, because Kobe puts butts in the seats. That doesn't show they are hell bent on winning at all costs in the near term.

And Kobe gets paid millions of dollars and is King of LA. I'm sure he's miserable being paid so much money and being loved by LA.

Also, the shortterm isn't about winning. The longterm is about winning.

Making moves that not only help us now, but also 5 years from now.

Exactly why Artest doesn't come in for Bynum and why Odom won't go out for a 30+ year old. Also why they don't use longterm contracts to guys who will be in their 30's.

It's called re-building. Don't like it? Come back after it's over.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
all Im saying is get me RLewis for LO, im peeing myself

especially if we are able to get k-mart, we should do that trade easy, cause we add a good shooter next to kobe. and a PF who bring it.

the only problem is who would run the offense? and why would the sonics do that deal.
i can see something like this..

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Lamar Odom
6-10 SF from Rhode Island
13.9 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 5.4 apg in 39.3 minutes
Incoming

Rashard Lewis
6-10 SF from Alief Elsik (HS)
21.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.3 apg in 37.4 minutes
Change in team outlook: +7.6 ppg, -3.8 rpg, and -3.1 apg.

Seattle Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Rashard Lewis
6-10 SF from Alief Elsik (HS)
21.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.3 apg in 37.4 minutes
Incoming

Tyronn Lue
6-0 PG from Nebraska
10.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 24.0 minutes

Al Harrington
6-9 SF from St. Patrick's (HS)
18.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 3.0 apg in 36.8 minutes
Change in team outlook: +7.5 ppg, +3.1 rpg, and +3.7 apg.

Atlanta Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Tyronn Lue
6-0 PG from Nebraska
10.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 24.0 minutes

Al Harrington
6-9 SF from St. Patrick's (HS)
18.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 3.0 apg in 36.8 minutes
Incoming

Lamar Odom
6-10 SF from Rhode Island
13.9 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 5.4 apg in 39.3 minutes
Change in team outlook: -15.1 ppg, +0.7 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

the soncis would have to option to resign Al, and also get a back-up point they were looking for.
it'll be hard to sell to atlanta, especially since they can pull this off in the summer. maybe if we throw in a 2nd and the soncis throw in a 2nd
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: