OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject:

A lot of squawking from certain players about the course and the lack of a crowd.

The course does seem to be a quirky one, but it is also not overly penal by US Open standards so not sure why so much whining, I think some of these guys have become too used to complaining.

The crowds are another issue. It is way too quiet on the course when the big moments happen and the issue isn't "LA Fans" as much as a limit on the number of tickets (only about half as many as in past opens due to the small footprint of the course) and then the biggest issue which was allowing LA Country Club to essentially control more than half the tickets available for the event.

If it was up to me, I let the first 10,000 people from the general public that show up in for free today and see if we can get a proper US Open atmosphere for what should be a great final round.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject:

Guessing the lack of atmosphere has to do with most of the patrons were watching from those giant tents erected.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Guessing the lack of atmosphere has to do with most of the patrons were watching from those giant tents erected.

The Genesis invitational sells about 40,000 tickets per day. I’ve heard some US Open venues have up to 100,000. At LACC they limited tickets to 20,000-25,000. There are rumors of members buying up their max ticket allotment and not using them to keep the crowds to a minimum as well.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The Genesis invitational sells about 40,000 tickets per day. I’ve heard some US Open venues have up to 100,000. At LACC they limited tickets to 20,000-25,000. There are rumors of members buying up their max ticket allotment and not using them to keep the crowds to a minimum as well.

And if they only have 22k tickets available at a private country club, and the tented area has shade, TVs, and servers bringing food to them, I bet thats where most of them are.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the crowds were limited and that's not a good look.

Rickie's 75 today was very on-brand for him, sadly.

Congrats to Clark, he made some big putts when he had to and no one else, seemingly, did.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dan Rapaport
@Daniel_Rapaport
Details on LACC tickets. 23,000 for sale to the general public—but 14,000 of those were for hospitality. Those are very expensive. Only 9,000 GA warriors. These are the people that bring the energy, the atmosphere. And that’s just a shockingly low number. The corporate Open.

And then apparently LACC bought 4k of those 9k, so only 5,000 actual fans got to go, per day. No wonder the crowds were a joke.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject:

US Open coming to LA in 2031 at the Riviera Country Club, site of the Genesis Open.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/37893065/us-open-returning-riviera-2031-83-year-absence
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
US Open coming to LA in 2031 at the Riviera Country Club, site of the Genesis Open.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/37893065/us-open-returning-riviera-2031-83-year-absence

Awesome news! I will be there for sure. This also means relocating the Genesis for that year. Not many local options for the replacement. Our courses are too short…maybe they will have the short flight ball in play by then and more options will open up.

I would love to see a compete redesign of Griffith Park golf course. Build a championship level course on the level of Torrey Pines or TPC Harding Park. Charge out of towners $250 to play and residents $65.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Rickie Fowler breaks through today, gutty effort as he needed a birdie on 18 just to make the playoff and then birdied it again to win it in the playoff.

Very happy for him, the guy is a class act.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Rickie Fowler breaks through today, gutty effort as he needed a birdie on 18 just to make the playoff and then birdied it again to win it in the playoff.

Yeah, one of my favorites because of that attitude and personality. Great to see him re-emerge so well, definitely a feel good story.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Yeah, one of my favorites because of that attitude and personality. Great to see him re-emerge so well, definitely a feel good story.

Absolutely. If he can ever hold it together on Sunday in a major and capture one of those, it would be incredible. He's such a popular player among his peers, and clearly the fans love him.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject:

18 Year Old Aldrich Potgeiter Aces 345 Yard Par 4, But Doesn’t Make the Field
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Captain Zach Johnson has made his captain's picks for the Ryder Cup and in my opinion botched it.

You have 6 automatic qualifiers: Scheffler, Homa, Cantlay, Schauffele, Clark and Harman.

The 6 Captain's picks:

Morikawa, Koepka, Spieth, Fowler, Burns, Thomas

Of the 6 automatic qualifiers, none has been on a Ryder Cup Team playing "on the road" in Europe. 3 of them (Harman, Clark and Homa) are Ryder Cup rookies.

Morikawa, Koepka and Spieth were obvious picks.

But one could definitely question his other 3 picks, I like Fowler and Burns as players but Fowler has cooled off some and Burns over guys like Finau, Bradley, etc. with Ryder Cup experience is a bit odd.

But it is the pick of Justin Thomas that makes no sense to me. I know he has been good in the Ryder Cup in the past, but the guy is WAY out of form and honestly did not deserve it over Finau, Bradley or Lucas Glover.

If Thomas spits the bit at the Ryder Cup (as I expect he will) that buddy-buddy pick will be remembered. I can't fathom taking JT over Keegan Bradley or Lucas Glover based on recent form, but I hope Zach is smarter than I.

My guess? The US loses again in Europe where they have not won in 30 years, 1993 was the last time. Botching Captain's picks is not a good way to start things off, my guess is Europe wins again and it isn't close.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject:

So, while saying that the 6 automatics have almost zero experience, but then are mad that JT, who has Ryder experience and success, is picked?

Umm, OK
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject:

I am not sure that I would have picked Thomas, but I get it. He has really excelled in this format, and I don't think it's illogical to consider that over recent form. There are guys playing great golf who go into the Ryder Cup and choke. As for Finau, he's not a good putter (116th on Tour this year and I'm pretty sure this has long been his bugaboo, which is why he hasn't won more than 6 times on Tour and why he hasn't won a major yet), and this is a big handicap in the team format of the Ryder Cup. Still, Finau has gone 3-3 in his 2 Ryder Cups. But, again, I get it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
So, while saying that the 6 automatics have almost zero experience, but then are mad that JT, who has Ryder experience and success, is picked?

Umm, OK

Experience is great, but Justin Thomas (who I like by the way) had an absolutely brutal season.

He missed the cut in 3 of the 4 majors and carded an 80 and an 81 in two of them.

The guy only had 3 Top 10 Finishes the entire season and clearly did not earn his spot.

Keegan Bradley is in much better form and also has Ryder Cup experience but he isn't Spieth and Tiger's buddy the way JT is.

I hope he performs well, but there is no doubt at all that he didn't come close to earning his spot and other guys (particularly Bradley, Glover and Cam Young) got screwed over as a result.

Ummm, OK.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject:

So I am playing golf on an actual course for the first time ever on Sunday. I am a reasonably athletic person so my swing has some power and generally looks ok, but I have almost no control over where the ball actually goes, and am prone to a swing and miss here and there..

I'm mainly concerned with not pissing off the groups behind us.. Is there any etiquette things I should know to avoid drawing the ire of more experienced players on the course?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
So I am playing golf on an actual course for the first time ever on Sunday. I am a reasonably athletic person so my swing has some power and generally looks ok, but I have almost no control over where the ball actually goes, and am prone to a swing and miss here and there..

I'm mainly concerned with not pissing off the groups behind us.. Is there any etiquette things I should know to avoid drawing the ire of more experienced players on the course?

We were all there at one point. Play as fast as you can. Don't take too many mulligans. Once you get to 8 strokes or so, tell them you are "picking up", and make a motion of putting the ball in your pocket. They will say the polite thing, "no, no, finish the hole" and you can say, thats okay, thats enough strokes for me on this hole.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Umm, OK

Experience is great, but Justin Thomas (who I like by the way) had an absolutely brutal season.

He missed the cut in 3 of the 4 majors and carded an 80 and an 81 in two of them.

The guy only had 3 Top 10 Finishes the entire season and clearly did not earn his spot.

Keegan Bradley is in much better form and also has Ryder Cup experience but he isn't Spieth and Tiger's buddy the way JT is.

I hope he performs well, but there is no doubt at all that he didn't come close to earning his spot and other guys (particularly Bradley, Glover and Cam Young) got screwed over as a result.

Ummm, OK.

My point was that you pointed out that the automatic 6 have minimal Ryder Cup experience, then criticized the addition of a guy who is one of the best at the Ryder Cup format and been very successful in it. That's just illogical. If you are putting together a match play team, you want the guys who have proven themselves to excel at it . . . especially if your automatic guys lack experience, regardless of who may or not be excelling at stroke play at the moment. Not to mention that JT is a road warrior, so going onto foreign soil, he is a guy you want.

One can complain that he is just a member of the "old boys club"/friends w/ JT and that's why he got the pick, but it is definitely not just a sympathy pick. JT's in that club because he's guy that everyone likes and respects, and that is hugely important in a team atmosphere. He's a guy who encourages camaraderie and inspires confidence. You want that on a Ryder team, particularly when it comes combined with his undeniable success in the format. Even Bradley, who expressed disappointment at not being "in the club" said you want JT because he is a generational talent.

Match play and stroke play are different games, and thus concerns about current form aren't really significant. Success in stroke play is totally dependent on absolute execution on every hole to have a shot at winning. Match play is about making shots to win a particular hole. JT may not be racking up tournament wins, but he is still in the fray and is still making great shots. He's not a washed up guy, he is just not currently putting together enough shots consistently in stroke play to win tourneys. Ian Poulter hasn't exactly been the most solid player regarding form when he has made the Euro team, but he's a guy who delivered in match play in the Cup in the past. Point being, you're not simply picking the guys who displaying the best form in stroke play at the moment. You are picking guys based on their success in match play format.

Bottom line is you don't make Ryder Cup roster decisions in attempt to reduce the chances of the results you don't want. You make strategic decisions to maximize the possibility of the results you do want in a Team Match Play environment. It's undeniable that given JT's career, he's a guy that you want on your match play squad because he is historically proven to be nails in that format. Even if JT (bleeps) the bed in this cup (unlikely) and the US team loses, it's still the right decision going in.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

Been there, so I totally get it. A couple of key things, especially when green and inconsistent:

First, play "ready golf". Get your practice swings out of the way while you are waiting to shoot. Too may new players get caught up watching the group ahead or those in the group, and thus when it is their turn, they only then address the ball to test it's lie and practice their swing. Get it out of the way before that. Then when taking your shot, take a practice swing and hit your ball. Don't rush your shot, but be ready to hit with an idea of where and how already in your mind. One sure way to frustrate those behind you is to take a bunch of practice swings when it's your turn only to see you shank it 15 yards 90 degrees right.

Second, and super important. You're not really trying to post a score in your early days of the game. You are out to have fun and gain experience. If you are having a blowup hole, just pick up and move on to the next.

Those two things will for sure minimize the chances of frustrating the players behind you.

But make sure you have fun! If you get tense and concerned about what the rest of the people around you are thinking, it's definitely not going to help you play better. Relax, dn't take it too seriously. That positive attitude will help.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject:

One thing I do know about Thomas is how much he wants to play well in this event.

My guess is he is grinding hard with his team practicing and getting ready, I am definitely rooting for him to play well despite my frustration with the pick.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Been there, so I totally get it. A couple of key things, especially when green and inconsistent:

First, play "ready golf". Get your practice swings out of the way while you are waiting to shoot. Too may new players get caught up watching the group ahead or those in the group, and thus when it is their turn, they only then address the ball to test it's lie and practice their swing. Get it out of the way before that. Then when taking your shot, take a practice swing and hit your ball. Don't rush your shot, but be ready to hit with an idea of where and how already in your mind. One sure way to frustrate those behind you is to take a bunch of practice swings when it's your turn only to see you shank it 15 yards 90 degrees right.

Second, and super important. You're not really trying to post a score in your early days of the game. You are out to have fun and gain experience. If you are having a blowup hole, just pick up and move on to the next.

Those two things will for sure minimize the chances of frustrating the players behind you.

But make sure you have fun! If you get tense and concerned about what the rest of the people around you are thinking, it's definitely not going to help you play better. Relax, dn't take it too seriously. That positive attitude will help.

Appreciate it! Ended up shooting a 109 on a par 71, so a cool 38 over.. Lol. Was a great time though, only truly embarrassed myself a couple times. Fortunately the groups behind and in front of us weren't all that great either so didn't have to worry about holding them up either.

Having a good experience definitely helped ease some anxiety about getting out on the course vs. just sticking to the driving range. Might have to actually pick myself up a set of clubs.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Ended up shooting a 109 on a par 71, so a cool 38 over.. Lol. Was a great time though, only truly embarrassed myself a couple times. Fortunately the groups behind and in front of us weren't all that great either so didn't have to worry about holding them up either.

Having a good experience definitely helped ease some anxiety about getting out on the course vs. just sticking to the driving range. Might have to actually pick myself up a set of clubs.

Nice! 109 is really decent for a first outing! Glad you enjoyed it. If you can weather those early rounds and still have fun, you'll take to the game nicely. It only gets better and you'll have those occasional shots, holes and rounds that will get you addicted.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject:

Ryder Cup is not off too a good start for the US team, down 4-0 after the morning rounds, only leading one match so far in the afternoon.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Ryder Cup is not off too a good start for the US team, down 4-0 after the morning rounds, only leading one match so far in the afternoon.

Remarkable that the U.S. was the betting favorite for this event. We haven't won on European soil in, what, 30 years? Longer? Doesn't matter that I haven't heard of a couple of the European players, we should have been a decided underdog. Down by 5 points after 1 day, getting destroyed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 31 of 33
Jump to: