OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Ryder Cup is not off too a good start for the US team, down 4-0 after the morning rounds, only leading one match so far in the afternoon.

Remarkable that the U.S. was the betting favorite for this event. We haven't won on European soil in, what, 30 years? Longer? Doesn't matter that I haven't heard of a couple of the European players, we should have been a decided underdog. Down by 5 points after 1 day, getting destroyed.

Yep. Almost insurmountable at this point. TE only needs to win 8 of the remaining 20 to win.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject:

US getting smoked, not a surprise after Johnson botched the Captain's picks.

The buddy-buddy teams (Scheffler/Burns, etc) were especially bad.

This is shaping up as a complete beatdown administered by the Euros as I predicted.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Just in case anyone was on the fence about whether Brooks was a douchebag or not. Brooks Koepka Calls Jon Rahm a 'Child' After 2023 Ryder Cup Matchup

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
US getting smoked, not a surprise after Johnson botched the Captain's picks. . . . as I predicted.

OK. So who were your picks?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Just in case anyone was on the fence about whether Brooks was a douchebag or not. Brooks Koepka Calls Jon Rahm a 'Child' After 2023 Ryder Cup Matchup

Brooks quite about Rahm:

Quote:
"I mean, I want to hit a board and pout just like Jon Rahm did. But, you know, it is what it is. Act like a child. But we're adults. We move on."

Rahm does have a reputation for constantly complaining and b*$%’ing. I can see how other players might get tired of it. Rahm has been, or been on the cusp of world number 1 for a couple years now, he doesn’t need to complain as much as he does. And Rahm is actually my favorite player, some of my golf buddies actually call me John Rahm.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Koepka/Scheffler were 5 down after 6 holes in the Saturday morning Foursomes, and we're losing 3 of the 4 matches in this session so far. Just getting destroyed.

Make that 7 down through 8, after Koepka just hooked his approach into the water on 9!

Uh, make that MATCH OVER ON THE 11TH HOLE! They lost the plot entirely, both Scheffler and Koepka. On the last hole, they literally looked like a couple of duffers. They lost 9 & 7. Biggest Foursomes defeat in Ryder Cup history.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
US getting smoked, not a surprise after Johnson botched the Captain's picks. . . . as I predicted.

Keegan Bradley instead of Justin Thomas

Lucas Glover instead of Sam Burns

You go with hot players, not out of form guys who are buddies with the other players.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Brooks quite about Rahm:

Quote:
"I mean, I want to hit a board and pout just like Jon Rahm did. But, you know, it is what it is. Act like a child. But we're adults. We move on."

Rahm does have a reputation for constantly complaining and b*$%’ing. I can see how other players might get tired of it. Rahm has been, or been on the cusp of world number 1 for a couple years now, he doesn’t need to complain as much as he does. And Rahm is actually my favorite player, some of my golf buddies actually call me John Rahm.

Rahm and Koepka are the two biggest whiners in professional golf.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject:

Cantlay showing some stones pulling out a much needed point for the USA at the end of the day today.

It would be the biggest comeback in Ryder Cup history if they can pull it off.

Europe 10.5
USA 5.5

USA needs 14 pts total to retain the cup and Europe needs 14.5 pts total to take the cup.

Most likely McIlroy goes out first for Europe so it will be interesting to see who Zach Johnson sends out first against him. Right now, Homa appears to be playing the best on our side.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Cantlay showing some stones pulling out a much needed point for the USA at the end of the day today.

Europe 10.5
USA 5.5

USA needs 14 pts total to retain the cup and Europe needs 14.5 pts total to take the cup.

Most likely McIlroy goes out first for Europe so it will be interesting to see who Zach Johnson sends out first against him. Right now, Homa appears to be playing the best on our side.

Looks like Rahm vs. Scheffler is the first match out. I missed the afternoon session, and apparently there was some drama. Cantlay getting fired up, and Rory angry at caddie Joe LaCava, apparently.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Keegan Bradley instead of Justin Thomas

Lucas Glover instead of Sam Burns

You go with hot players, not out of form guys who are buddies with the other players.

“Hot” can go away real fast. You go with people who have been proven to excel in thus format. And you can pass it off as just picking “buddies”, but picking guys who are known to be good teammates in a team format is a good idea.

Bottom line is that while the US team may be getting beat down, those roster changes wouldn’t really make a meaningful difference.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Europe 10.5
USA 5.5

Looks like Rahm vs. Scheffler is the first match out. I missed the afternoon session, and apparently there was some drama. Cantlay getting fired up, and Rory angry at caddie Joe LaCava, apparently.

It apparently even spilled out into the parking lot with Rory upset and going after caddies Jim "Bones" Mackay before being pulled away.

I think it can't hurt the Americans to have created a bit of controversy as maybe it will throw the Euros off their game but I doubt it.

I was wrong about McIlroy going out first, so clearly Scheffler needs to turn it around and beat Rahm in that first match for the USA to have any chance in my opinion.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject:

Europe wins 16.5 to 11.5 and retakes the cup.

USA hasn't won the Ryder Cup in Europe in the last 30 years now.

This time it really came down to the first 10 matches where Europe blasted out to a 8.5 to 1.5 lead which immediately set the tone for the event and created a very tough hole to climb out of.

Morikawa, Scheffler, Clark, Fowler all very disappointing for the USA.

Max Homa and Patrick Cantlay were our two best players and props to Justin Thomas for gutting out a win in his singles match today.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Bottom line is that while the US team may be getting beat down, those roster changes wouldn’t really make a meaningful difference.

You are right about that.

The European Top Dogs (McIlroy, Rahm, Hovland) badly outplayed the United States Top Dogs (Scheffler, Koepka, Morikawa) right from the start on Friday.

Still, Johnson's Captain's Picks were duds and I think the US strategy especially in foursomes (alternate shot) is not on point in this Ryder Cup or most previous ones. Europe just kills us in foursomes over and over again and that is probably where a Captain is most important in the actual event as far as properly setting those teams. Europe does that very well, the US not so much.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

You are right about that.

The European Top Dogs (McIlroy, Rahm, Hovland) badly outplayed the United States Top Dogs (Scheffler, Koepka, Morikawa) right from the start on Friday.

Still, Johnson's Captain's Picks were duds and I think the US strategy especially in foursomes (alternate shot) is not on point in this Ryder Cup or most previous ones. Europe just kills us in foursomes over and over again and that is probably where a Captain is most important in the actual event as far as properly setting those teams. Europe does that very well, the US not so much.

You're absolutely correct. In general, we own the Sunday singles, and Europe is better in the team portion of the event. And those account for 4 of the 5 sessions, though the most points are at stake on Sunday.

Hovland is scary going forward. He started to make a lot of putts in the second half of the season, and that was certainly the case at the Ryder Cup. With his game, if he can just putt OK, he's a serious threat for #1 in the world. I think Rahm is the better putter and that he has better touch around the greens, but Hovland is probably the cleaner and more consistent ball-striker from tee to green. If he can just putt solidly, man, he's tough.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Hovland is scary going forward. He started to make a lot of putts in the second half of the season, and that was certainly the case at the Ryder Cup. With his game, if he can just putt OK, he's a serious threat for #1 in the world. I think Rahm is the better putter and that he has better touch around the greens, but Hovland is probably the cleaner and more consistent ball-striker from tee to green. If he can just putt solidly, man, he's tough.

I agree.

For so long, he was hitting top 10's in tournaments while putting and chipping terribly for a player at the top level.

Now that he has for the most part fixed both of those, he is in line for becoming the #1 ranked player in the world at some point, he is that good.

Great attitude on the course also and obviously well liked by players and fans and seemingly a very classy guy. Hard to knock Victor Hovland, especcially when you get to know his story of only being able to actually play golf (outside sport) a few months a year growing up and the rest he worked on indoors.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject:

SPORTS
Phil Mickelson claims more players want to jump to Saudi-backed LIV Golf
BY DOUG FERGUSON
Updated 2:39 PM PDT, October 18, 2023

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see how that plays out given that LIV results won't be included in the OWGR, and rightfully so.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It will be interesting to see how that plays out given that LIV results won't be included in the OWGR, and rightfully so.

It's especially interesting given that the tours are supposed to merge soon, right?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

It's especially interesting given that the tours are supposed to merge soon, right?

LIV has the dollars. Money will take center stage. The hell with ratings.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Azinger out at NBC, maybe I can turn the volume back on now on NBC Golf broadcasts
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Rumors have been running rampant that LIV is about to poach Jon Rahm for something like $550MM, and that something could be announced this week. There are also rumors floating that in addition to Rahm, Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay are going to go to LIV as well.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Rumors have been running rampant that LIV is about to poach Jon Rahm for something like $550MM, and that something could be announced this week. There are also rumors floating that in addition to Rahm, Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay are going to go to LIV as well.

Saw that. It’s unfortunate that the potential promise of obscene wealth is becoming such a factor.

It will be interesting to see how this gamble plays out for the Saudi’s and those that align with them. Will this insane business model of shelling out money hand over fist for talent actually be sustainable when LIV is so antithetical to the rich tradition of actual tournaments? I know there are dude-bros who love idea of turning golf tournaments into frat parties where loud music and throwing bottles on the course to celebrate great shots is par for the course so to speak. Are there enough of them to compensate for those that tune out? I guess we’ll see.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Saw that. It’s unfortunate that the potential promise of obscene wealth is becoming such a factor.

It will be interesting to see how this gamble plays out for the Saudi’s and those that align with them. Will this insane business model of shelling out money hand over fist for talent actually be sustainable when LIV is so antithetical to the rich tradition of actual tournaments? I know there are dude-bros who love idea of turning golf tournaments into frat parties where loud music and throwing bottles on the course to celebrate great shots is par for the course so to speak. Are there enough of them to compensate for those that tune out? I guess we’ll see.

I mean, if you're Jon Rahm, how do you turn down that kind of money? He's not American, and the Saudi thing isn't seen as poorly around the world as it is here by most. And particularly after most of the players feel like Monahan sold them a bunch of lies, only to then get in bed with the Saudi money himself. How do you turn down $550MM? I guess Kylian Mbappe turned down something like $750MM to play in the Saudi soccer league (that Ronaldo ended up going to) for just one year!!! Now, he still makes an obscene amount of coin playing in Paris, but damn, that's crazy to me.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject:

I thought the poaching was done when PIF agreed to buy in to the PGA Tour? I wonder if the Saudis are trying to renegotiate the deal on the fly. The negotiations never end for some people.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33
Jump to: