Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rondo is a team 1st player and will do whatever it takes to win. He will do his part no matter what that may be.

IMO LBJ, AD, DG will start; the rest will eventually play itself out.

The announcer is just starting drama when there is none. The point guard position is still up for grabs Rondo Quinn Alex AB.... Anyone of them could be the starter come playoffs

I know everyone here is loving the talk about AB but when every player and coach talk about how great rondo is everyone ignores it, kinda of funny how people only hear what they want to.

Because Rondo has sucked in recent years yet everyone feels the need to coddle him because he's supposedly a good team dude. But he's 34 years old with zero upside whereas you could maybe squint and still see some hope for Bradley to bounce back to form.

Rondo's more of a mascot than NBA basketball player at this point.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rondo is a team 1st player and will do whatever it takes to win. He will do his part no matter what that may be.

The announcer is just starting drama when there is none. The point guard position is still up for grabs Rondo Quinn Alex AB.... Anyone of them could be the starter come playoffs

I know everyone here is loving the talk about AB but when every player and coach talk about how great rondo is everyone ignores it, kinda of funny how people only hear what they want to.

Because Rondo has sucked in recent years yet everyone feels the need to coddle him because he's supposedly a good team dude. But he's 34 years old with zero upside whereas you could maybe squint and still see some hope for Bradley to bounce back to form.

Rondo hasnt sucked and AB hasn't lit the world on fire either. Starting PG is wide open and saying Rondo is more of a mascot than a player is just false and agenda driven just like the video you posted.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

AD wanted Rondo on this team. As long as AD is here, Rondo will have a role on this team. I could see Rondo starting but playing limited minutes. Take him out at the 5/6 minute mark of the 1st quarter and bring him back at the 5 min mark of the 2nd quarter to close the half. If his replacement is hot then just let him ride the bench until the 2nd half.

We have a LOT of new players and Rondo is basically a coach on the floor and sits in on coaches meetings. I think he's a leader and guys will look to him to get things organized.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Rondo hasnt sucked and AB hasn't lit the world on fire either. Starting PG is wide open and saying Rondo is more of a mascot than a player is just false and agenda driven just like the video you posted.

"Fake newz!"

Feel like making an argument for Rondo not sucking? Otherwise I could put something together about how mediocre he's been in recent years while highlighting how he and Lebron are a terrible fit. Tbh, there's enough already written on the subject that I'll just post a few articles you'll probably also ignore. I agree that AB has been comparably poor at basketball the past few seasons, but maybe there's a glimmer of hope he'll round back into form at age 28. Rondo's just one year older and likely one year worse.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
AD wanted Rondo on this team. As long as AD is here, Rondo will have a role on this team. I could see Rondo starting but playing limited minutes. Take him out at the 5/6 minute mark of the 1st quarter and bring him back at the 5 min mark of the 2nd quarter to close the half. If his replacement is hot then just let him ride the bench until the 2nd half.

We have a LOT of new players and Rondo is basically a coach on the floor and sits in on coaches meetings. I think he's a leader and guys will look to him to get things organized.

Remember the days when Samaki Walker and Mark Madsen used to start alongside Shaq and Kobe?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

"Fake newz!"

Feel like making an argument for Rondo not sucking? Otherwise I could put something together about how mediocre he's been in recent years while highlighting how he and Lebron are a terrible fit. Tbh, there's enough already written on the subject that I'll just post a few articles you'll probably also ignore. I agree that AB has been comparably poor at basketball the past few seasons, but maybe there's a glimmer of hope he'll round back into form at age 28. Rondo's just one year older and likely one year worse.

30mins: 9pts 8ast 5rebs 1stl 41%/36% (36 ast%)

Is that great, no. Is that mascot numbers, no. Rondo doesnt suck

https://youtu.be/gB801PxIzss
(17asts 7pts 6rebs 5stls)
The guy still has game

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

"Fake newz!"

(7pts 6rebs 5stls 17asts)
The guy still has game

He also had the ball for something like 4 seconds per,.. while the next closest was something like 2 on average. Easy to get dimes when you dine chase.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

"Fake newz!"

The guy still has game

It's not the raw numbers that is the problem. It's the styleof play and the defensive deficiency.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Rondo is kept for one reason only is his playmaking ability.
That has been shown to be still elite.
Unfortunately, his defense makes him a liability.

He should be a situational player where playmaking is needed ad
can be hidden on defense. Because he is the second best playmaker next
to Lebron this may turn out to be valuable.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Yeah raw numbers arent everything but lets compare

Rondo 29mins: 9pts 8ast 5rebs 1stl 41%/36%

AB 30mins: 10pts 2ast 3rebs .7 stls 41%/35%

Quinn 14mins 7pts 2rebs 2asts. 47%/41%

Alex 15mins 9pts 3ast 3rebs 1stl. 45%/48%

Of everyone here AB is the most unimpressive. Not saying he cant have a better year or raw stats are everything, just saying he is far from a lock to be the starter
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

"Fake newz!"

The guy still has game

It's not the raw numbers that is the problem. It's the styleof play and the defensive deficiency.

This. And he's long past his prime. He may end up being the best PG option the Lakers have but that doesn't make him good and it means the Lakers are going to underperform this season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Rondo is kept for one reason only is his playmaking ability.
That has been shown to be still elite.
Unfortunately, his defense makes him a liability.

He should be a situational player where playmaking is needed ad
can be hidden on defense. Because he is the second best playmaker next
to Lebron this may turn out to be valuable.

Elite a decade ago, not in today’s NBA. Pounding the ball is a no no.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

On media day, Rondo specifically said he doesn't anticipate a role with heavy minutes, and that he preferred a mentor role. He has also specifically mentioned Bradley and Caruso as guys he likes to work with, and who he could 'go to war with'.

It's totally possible that Rondo could be an early season crutch. But I don't expect him to compete for a starter spot or heavy minutes long term.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject:

I highly doubt a defensive minded coach is going to start Rondo very long if at all as long as Bradley is healthy and motivates which I believe he is. He's easily several levels above both Rondo and Caruso if that's the case imo.

Rondo could be great at doing the mentor thing along with the player/coach role because there is no doubt he knows the game and is extremely intelligent.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
On media day, Rondo specifically said he doesn't anticipate a role with heavy minutes, and that he preferred a mentor role. He has also specifically mentioned Bradley and Caruso as guys he likes to work with, and who he could 'go to war with'.

It's totally possible that Rondo could be an early season crutch. But I don't expect him to compete for a starter spot or heavy minutes long term.

This is good to read.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

rather play daniels w lebron than rondo

I would only play rondo in line ups where davis is my 5.. other wise spacing suffers. I would also NEVER play him next to bron.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

The guy balls out when playoff time rolls around. Happy he's on our team.
https://tinyurl.com/y3dxng4a
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Remember the days when Samaki Walker and Mark Madsen used to start alongside Shaq and Kobe?

I remember Samaki's halfcourt heave after the buzzer that counted against the Kings in 2002 that gave us a 1-point win after being down 24. We can thank Samaki for the league implementing official's reviews. He single handedly changed the NBA.

Madsen gave us one of the best championship parades of all time.

Strong arguments to start Rondo.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I remember Samaki's halfcourt heave after the buzzer that counted against the Kings in 2002 that gave us a 1-point win after being down 24. We can thank Samaki for the league implementing official's reviews. He single handedly changed the NBA.

Madsen gave us one of the best championship parades of all time.

Strong arguments to start Rondo.

Look, I appreciate Rondo's attempts to high five opponents at the FT line as much as the next Lakers fan, but...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Rondo with a legit 3 point shot and his passing skills are a nice combo.
The main issue however is his lack of defense.
But with AD demanding defense from the team, it might be a different story this year.

Excited to see the team in action.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

Would other teams be willing to take his contract for a pick? His defense is trash and while he makes some nice passes every now and then he turned the ball over a lot with this attempt at flashy passing. He also didn't play all that well with Lebron in the lineup.

Since Vogel is a defensive minded he's probably going to be riding the pine most of the season and at some point will complain about minutes.

We don't need a traditional PG with Lebron in the lineup. Bradley and Caruso can fill the 'Derek Fisher' role nicely.

I would much rather have Bradley and Caruso have full PG duties.

I suppose he would be useful in the playoffs...
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

to be fair to Rondo, last year he was surrounded by guys who couldn't shoot and when he came back from injury around mid-January the season was pretty much lost at that point and Luke was throwing new lineups out there nightly. We had Reggie Bullock, Muscala, Lance and KCP bricking 3 after 3. Try getting "numbers" throwing perfect passes to those guys

One positive though, it sounds like KCP is rejuvenated this year.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

This is my take on Rondo. I think he can be great for 15 mpg off the bench when you have a lead, other wise I just do not like players that allow defenders to sag off. I'm into real estate in the basketball court, the more space the better. He is very predictable off the P&R and teams are fine staying home with their man, which causes him to pound the ball and kill any offensive flow.

In todays game only 2 players can play that way and win, LeBron and Giannis. Other wise you need a PG that can do it all.

Bradley is the clear cut starter due to his defense but i also don't like his offense.

Caruso, if continues to play the way he did last season is our man. He can actually attack and keep teams alert at all times. He is also 6"5 which helps on defense. He had better numbers with lebron than rondo did.

I even like that new kid we just signed. He brings the same skill rondo does but with more flow to the offense. He just seem kind of small.

I like to try different things.. We know what we have in rondo... lets experiment with caruso, cook and evn daniels.

Daniels imo would be the best. Go watch his games, he is in constant motion, can create on step backs even from long range, attacks off pick and rolls.. I really think it could work with LBJ and Davis. They would have 2 Legit snipers and Dwight for defense. Daniels put up 5 3s per game without a legit playmaker and in limited minutes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

IMO anywhere between 15-18 mpg for Rondo.
Rondo's 3 pt. shooting % should be better than last year, he has been working on his 3 point shot all off-season long.
He was 2-5 - 40% v GSW.

I agree that Daniels and Cook (IMO) are going to be valuable pieces to this championship puzzle too. Both are ballers.

This team is deep; we may see the return of the "Bench Mob" this season!!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
IMO anywhere between 15-18 mpg for Rondo.
Rondo's 3 pt. shooting % should be better than last year, he has been working on his 3 point shot all off-season long.
He was 2-5 - 40% v GSW.

Rondo is good imo and should get some playing time. The issue really is Bradley, Caruso, & Rondo should all get playing time. Each one has their ability,

Bradley..great defense should guard their best point guard

Caruso..he can do it all, defense, 3s, assists..make him a good candidate off the bench..the first group already has AD/Lebron and as we saw, that is already a ton of scoring power.

Rondo..high basketball IQ..can run the show when "Lebron" is out

So my guess you have Bradley start and expect him to play all to most of the first quarter..if the other teams point guard is someone like Kyrie or Stephan, he has to be in whenever their in..once he subs out

I am thinking Caruso and Rondo are in?..maybe with Kuzma, Dwight, and whoever else?? Is it best to have both of them in at the same time?

Another taught is if the Lakers are trying to limit Lebron's minutes, he might play 9-10 minutes of first quarter and you can have Rondo come in than...Caruso comes in when Bradley is out
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 84 of 168
Jump to: