OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4204, 4205, 4206 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Wolves reject Mavs offer for Convington

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256915/Wolves-Reject-Trade-Offer-From-Mavericks-On-Robert-Covington

Dang. Who was it for?

KAT

I don't think the Mavs were able to trade KAT for Robert Convington, since they were both on the Wolves

Lol
I read it wrong and couldn’t delete it in time
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This site would have had a stroke if we had bypassed Kawhi and went straight for someone like DLO at the max. Imagine, "why are we not chasing Kawhi and going after DBustelo again?"

Mmm considering all the pro-Pelinka guys would have quickly rationalized "Kawhi probably told them he's not coming" (and the Lakers would have absolutely leaked this anyway) and then the more FO/Kawhi-is-coming skeptics (pretty much a perfect Venn Circle there) probably would have been glad we made sure to get someone

But yeah hindsight is 20/20. Can't speak for everyone, but I was always bearish on Kawhi coming here and was fretting over who we were missing out on. I don't think the role players we got would have changed, but if we had a shot at DLO, that's different.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
This site would have had a stroke if we had bypassed Kawhi and went straight for someone like DLO at the max. Imagine, "why are we not chasing Kawhi and going after DBustelo again?"

Mmm considering all the pro-Pelinka guys would have quickly rationalized "Kawhi probably told them he's not coming" (and the Lakers would have absolutely leaked this anyway) and then the more FO/Kawhi-is-coming skeptics (pretty much a perfect Venn Circle there) probably would have been glad we made sure to get someone

But yeah hindsight is 20/20. Can't speak for everyone, but I was always bearish on Kawhi coming here and was fretting over who we were missing out on. I don't think the role players we got would have changed, but if we had a shot at DLO, that's different.

I wonder if DLO would have chosen to come back here after everything that went down
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Mavs probably offered their trade exception and 2 2nds.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I wonder if DLO would have chosen to come back here after everything that went down

I think if we were the only team willing to pay the max, yes. But I guess we can assume Warriors step in no matter what and say "we want you too and will pay the max" plus with their willingness to trade Brooklyn picks to get it done, so maybe that doesn't happen no matter? Only if we had made him a Day 1 target and not a Kawhi afterthought.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
So our contingency to Kawhi wasn’t self-inflicted?

Hey whatever helps you sleep at night fellas.

The pursuit of Kawhi was logical. The fruits of that is a LBJ/AD/KL that would be a dynasty and possibility the best trio of all time.

The downside is missing out on the other FAs, notably guys like Jimmy/DLO (Kemba already had a deal in place with the Celts b/f FA).

I'm not going to rant and rave about what could of happened. I'm more interested in discussing what we can do to ameliorate some of the problems.

Dwelling in that past is truly self-inflicted.

Wait...this coming from you bro. The guy that authored Kobe vs Bron. And I’m the one dwelling in the past? C’mon man!

34m in space to not only sign those remaining in the barrel but actually facilitate 8 teams that were hard capped at the apron this summer. No playmaking in the barrel, go find one via trade then. No assets after the AD purge, go get them while absorbing some K.

Our contingency was Crockodile Dundee and no matter how we threw our cap space away, that (bleep) will keep coming back to us. Hey look, we’re right back at it mate in 2021. Bron, now go opt out to make room for Giannis “dammit” haha!

Now that’s a #CrockOfBleep right there.

I authored it precisely to get the Kobe/LBJ debate out of the LBJ thread. I could care less about that topic.

So you could care less? You should then. Haha, yeah I hate being one of those guys, but I couldn’t resist. Or wait..is it, I could resist less? I’m just (bleep) around with you bro.

Seriously tho, my main contention is the contingency. Forget the max guy for a second. If all there was left in playmaking was Rondo, that’s still a decent signing at the vet min and with that type of deal, it does not cut into our potential 34m in space, since it’s an exception. So with no free agent options, you could then turn to the 8 teams that are hard capped when they all S&t’d with each other. At that moment in time, they all had to make sure they were well under the apron and we had 34m in space to absorb deals. Our only legit competition was Dallas and we had nearly 20m more in cap space than they did. Use the cap to restock the assets lost in the AD purge.

Yet, when it comes to our only valued asset left (ie cap space), we even scrambled that asset away like it was nothing. Whiffing on Kawhi is something I couldn’t care less about (haha)....it was our contingency that broke the last l-egg I was standing on. I can’t stand how we used that final asset after we carelessly threw the other ones away.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people always say " everything is great cuz the record"
but what are our great wins?

We beat MIA on the road without Dragic and Winslow - their two primary ball handlers. No disputing it was a playoff intensity game, but it wasn't close to their playoff roster.. We also beat them at home without Winslow. Not saying Winslow is great, but even a little contribution in a close game is something.

We beat the Jazz on a b2b, without Conley.. Idk what Conley would have done in that game, he's had more of a down year.. But still, who knows.. he can have a solid game, no problem.

We beat the Nuggets on the road. they were at full strength. Great win.

We beat HOU on the road. they were at full strength, we were not.. Best Win of the year? love it.

We beat Dallas on the road in a close one.. really good win.. but they're not an elite team to me.. so I don't put it in the highest possible tier of wins..

We're playing Philly Saturday and they'll be without Josh Richardson... We can only play who shows up - sure.. but that doesn't mean that it should be construed to be a win showing we're the best team in the league or on some crazy level...

Part of the reason I write this is because --- the measuring stick games are the funnest for me... And it just always disappoints me when one of the teams isn't at full strength.
We get these Ws in the regular season and think we're clearly so much better? But if we played these teams in the playoffs, they'd be something of a different look...

We've had a successful season, very successful - but is it simultaneously a very proven season? Those things don't have to be perfect aligned; wins don't have to mean the biggest conclusion.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

All the roster moves aren't great, we get that. Some good, some not so good. Other than Green, everyone else came at a bargain price compared to the market.

McGee was not a bargain. He was over market and get got a PO, giving him a no trade rights.

Even Cook was an overpay at $3m. Not much, but still if you take McGee and Cook's cap-space and spend it on one player, you get Derrick Rose at $7m.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
A lot of people always say " everything is great cuz the record"
but what are our great wins?

We beat MIA on the road without Dragic and Winslow - their two primary ball handlers. No disputing it was a playoff intensity game, but it wasn't close to their playoff roster.. We also beat them at home without Winslow. Not saying Winslow is great, but even a little contribution in a close game is something.

We beat the Jazz on a b2b, without Conley.. Idk what Conley would have done in that game, he's had more of a down year.. But still, who knows.. he can have a solid game, no problem.

We beat the Nuggets on the road. they were at full strength. Great win.

We beat HOU on the road. they were at full strength, we were not.. Best Win of the year? love it.

We beat Dallas on the road in a close one.. really good win.. but they're not an elite team to me.. so I don't put it in the highest possible tier of wins..

We're playing Philly Saturday and they'll be without Josh Richardson... We can only play who shows up - sure.. but that doesn't mean that it should be construed to be a win showing we're the best team in the league or on some crazy level...

Part of the reason I write this is because --- the measuring stick games are the funnest for me... And it just always disappoints me when one of the teams isn't at full strength.
We get these Ws in the regular season and think we're clearly so much better? But if we played these teams in the playoffs, they'd be something of a different look...

We've had a successful season, very successful - but is it simultaneously a very proven season? Those things don't have to be perfect aligned; wins don't have to mean the biggest conclusion.

For this team with these stars I’d say there aren’t any great wins until April. I don’t think they’re interested in proving anything in the regular season.

I just wanna hurry up and get to the break. Doesn’t look like any of these teams are interested right now. Everyone in the West has looked pretty bad at one point or another in the last week or so.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Not that the Lakers have the assets, but I wonder what Orl would be looking for to move Gordon somewhere.

They’re stuck in purgatory and going nowhere fast.

Perfect trade would be Kuz+Green for Gordon+Ross..

Sign me up for that, but not sure why the Magic would do it.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Not that the Lakers have the assets, but I wonder what Orl would be looking for to move Gordon somewhere.

Yea I doubt it too. I just think it’d probably take Kuz+Green for Gordon, and then I’d want another piece
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Brogdon would have been perfect on this team, and a huge asset in the playoffs. If KL hadn’t strung the Lakers along, that’s the guy I would have gone for.

Everyone knew the Bucks weren’t going to match. Put the offer sheet in on the first day. If he signed with us, Indy offering a pick becomes irrelevant, as the Bucks would only have the option to match and then they would have had to keep him for a year iirc. They couldn’t have done a s&t with Indy if he signed our offer sheet.

You go for KL because if you get him it’s game over for the league, but him being a snake really cost us.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Yea I doubt it too. I just think it’d probably take Kuz+Green for Gordon, and then I’d want another piece

Agreed. Ross is the right idea with his shooting.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I noticed they bring in Caruso and Rondo off the bench a lot together. I think Caruso needs a better shooter next to him in the back court. Maybe this is where Collison comes in? The Lakers also need an upgrade at starting point guard. They seemed to be doing fine with KCP in that spot. I don't think Bradley and Rondo should really be in the rotation.

THIS! I'm not saying that Bradley can't have a specific utility on this team--pestering opposing ballhandlers for short bursts--but he and Rondo are getting nearly a full game's worth of minutes, and they are both bad-to-iffy players at best. This is why a trade for Rose and signing Collison will help tremendously. You'd be replacing Bradley and Rondo with two good players, assuming Collison can play like he always has.

Rose has legitimately been a good player since the start of last year. If this had been the first season in a while where he was showing something, I'd be more skeptical, but this is the second season in a row where he looks like he has much of his athleticism back. (It'll never be all the way back.) Put simply, he can put pressure on a defense because he can get into the paint almost at will. He is adept at finding open shooters if the defense collapses on him, or he can draw contact and get to the foul line, where he is an outstanding free throw shooter. We don't really have anyone who can get to the foul line other than AD and LeBron, and LeBron is a terrible FT shooter. As for Collison, he may not be as good of a defender as Bradley but he holds his own, and offensively he's light years better. Collison is as consistent of a shooter over the course of a career as you can find, and he does a little bit of everything well.

This team would be significantly better if you replaced Bradley and Rondo's minutes for Rose and Collison.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

The top tier teams to me:

Bucks (0-1)
Clippers (0-2)
Celtics (0-1)
Raptors (0-1)
Nuggets (1-1)
Jazz (2-0)
Dallas (2-1)
Sixers (haven't played)

What the top 4 teams have in common: big scoring wings.

Nuggets and Jazz: we match up well against these teams, which is what playoffs are all about: matchups. They may kill teams we struggle against, but AD is able to neutralize their strength. Jokic cannot keep up with AD defensively but AD can. AD also pulls Gobert out to the 3 point line, where his rim protector impact is neutralized. Neither team had a big scoring wing to hit us where we're vulnerable...until the Nuggets started playing MPJ. That's a huge thing to keep an eye on. If we play them again and lose, and he goes off on us, i expect a lot of "meh, we're 2-2 against them nbd," but we wont' be 2-2 against the same Nuggets team.

Dallas? They've played us well. Needed an OT and a Luka concussion to win the first one. Got our asses kicked at home the 2nd time. Convincing win the third time, but they didn't have Porzingis in that one. I don't really consider them a serious contender, but their star player is only 20 years old. And they have the ammunition to add the kind of player that we struggle against.

Overall, we're 2-6 against teams with a big scoring wing. We will most certainly have to get past the Clippers to make the Finals, and my money is on Bucks and MAYBE the Celtics in the East. We're a combined 0-4 against them. I think it's totally rational to be concerned about the makeup of our team.

Last edited by pjiddy on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Agreed. Ross is the right idea with his shooting.

Gordon and Ross make nearly $32.4MM between them.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

There is no way the Lakers can realistically get enough salary to trade for Ross and Gordon.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

All the roster moves aren't great, we get that. Some good, some not so good. Other than Green, everyone else came at a bargain price compared to the market.

McGee was not a bargain. He was over market and get got a PO, giving him a no trade rights.

Even Cook was an overpay at $3m. Not much, but still if you take McGee and Cook's cap-space and spend it on one player, you get Derrick Rose at $7m.

The minimum is $500K less... hardly an overpay
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Bucks (0-1)
Clippers (0-2)
Celtics (0-1)
Raptors (0-1)
Nuggets (1-1)
Jazz (2-0)
Dallas (2-1)
Sixers (haven't played)

Nuggets and Jazz: we match up well against these teams, which is what playoffs are all about: matchups. They may kill teams we struggle against, but AD is able to neutralize their strength. Jokic cannot keep up with AD defensively but AD can. AD also pulls Gobert out to the 3 point line, where his rim protector impact is neutralized. Neither team had a big scoring wing to hit us where we're vulnerable...until the Nuggets started playing MPJ. That's a huge thing to keep an eye on. If we play them again and lose, and he goes off on us, i expect a lot of "meh, we're 2-2 against them nbd," but we wont' be 2-2 against the same Nuggets team.

Dallas? They've played us well. Needed an OT and a Luka concussion to win the first one. Got our asses kicked at home the 2nd time. Convincing win the third time, but they didn't have Porzingis in that one. I don't really consider them a serious contender, but their star player is only 20 years old. And they have the ammunition to add the kind of player that we struggle against.

Overall, we're 2-6 against teams with a big scoring wing. We will most certainly have to get past the Clippers to make the Finals, and my money is on Bucks and MAYBE the Celtics in the East. We're a combined 0-4 against them. I think it's totally rational to be concerned about the makeup of our team.

We can also put asterisk next to each for the Lakers.

Celtics - first game back for AD/Rondo
Bucks - Lakers had injury issues.
Clippers - can't use game 1 as a barometer. Game 2 should have been a win.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

The minimum is $500K less... hardly an overpay

Which is why you force him to take the min, so you have the entire cap-space to use.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Dbustelo is a great nickname lol, look Dominican too
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

trying to think of players worth both Kuz and Green. is Marcus Morris? Morris and an asset?
Morris and DSJ wouldn't be bad.. I think DSJ has potential to be solid; and day 1 provides a skillset or two we don't have...can he do it well, idk.. but I'd def give him the shot.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Bucks (0-1)
Clippers (0-2)
Celtics (0-1)
Raptors (0-1)
Nuggets (1-1)
Jazz (2-0)
Dallas (2-1)
Sixers (haven't played)

Na, they didn't have Paul George.. we should have won.. And what injury issues did the Lakers have against the Bucks - who's to say our guys will be more fresh in the Finals?
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Bucks (0-1)
Clippers (0-2)
Celtics (0-1)
Raptors (0-1)
Nuggets (1-1)
Jazz (2-0)
Dallas (2-1)
Sixers (haven't played)

Na, they didn't have Paul George.. we should have won.. And what injury issues did the Lakers have against the Bucks - who's to say our guys will be more fresh in the Finals?

Game 1 was a playoff team from the previous year plus Kawhi Leonard vs. a handful of players in their first game together. I’m not worrying too much about that game.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Bucks (0-1)
Clippers (0-2)
Celtics (0-1)
Raptors (0-1)
Nuggets (1-1)
Jazz (2-0)
Dallas (2-1)
Sixers (haven't played)

Game 1 was a playoff team from the previous year plus Kawhi Leonard vs. a handful of players in their first game together. I’m not worrying too much about that game.

Okay how about the other game that we lost?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4204, 4205, 4206 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4205 of 8560
Jump to: