OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4454, 4455, 4456 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
If we sign Cousins it should be without it having any impact to the cap.

I think its a forgone conclusion that if he is signed next season, it will be for the vets min. As for this season, I never expected him to be jettisoned. The Lakers pride themselves on taking care of players and never thought they would do Boogie dirty. I can not remember a player attending EVERY game while out with a long term injury. We also have to factor in the relationship between AD and Boogie. The last thing the FO would want is to alienate AD. If we get Boogie back this year or next, great. If not, so be it. I am rooting for him, because he clearly has had some adversity as of late.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:
I think Kuz has value. Low cost plus there is still some potential.

I think Green has value. Vet with playoff experience. Who can hit shots and still defend at a high quality. Who doesn't need the ball and won't complain about it.

I think Alex has value. No explanation needed.

I think THT has value. Potential.

I don't think any of those guys have significant trade value. I'm not saying zero trade value, but not a lot. Kuzma is an average player who would probably be unknown if he wasn't a Laker. Green is overpaid and just past his sell-by date. Caruso is a backup PG, the kind of guy you want in the 8-10 slots on your bench. THT is nothing, as of now.

Again, I completely agree with AH.

If our guys all opt in to their player options, we got 40m+ in expirings and aren’t restricted by NTCs.

The thing is, those contracts are only valuable to teams looking to get off longterm deals. So it would be for guys like AGordon, Beal, Hield, LaVine, etc.

But that means we scrap the 2021 plan unless we flip those deals to the Bucks for Giannis. Is that realistic? Only way it becomes even remotely plausible is if Giannis forced his way here a la AD. Nothing about Giannis’s mode suggests that.

So all our potential expirings wont really have value in a market where most teams have already set-up for 2021 free agency and won’t need those expirings or potential disgruntled stars (who can be difference makers) haven’t shown they want out yet.

I still aim for either a young stretch 5 like Turner or a playmaking guard type like DeJounte or Simmons (using that Klutch konnection). Imo chasing Giannis will lead to another kawhiet free agency for us in 2021. Unless we bring in legit closets into our FO ranks, we should abandon that plan ASAP.

And if I’m a franchise like Milwaukee and Giannis wants out, I get all the ending contracts and draft picks I can get. S&T or no S&T, I start rebuilding.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I think Green has value. Vet with playoff experience. Who can hit shots and still defend at a high quality. Who doesn't need the ball and won't complain about it.

I don't think any of those guys have significant trade value. I'm not saying zero trade value, but not a lot. Kuzma is an average player who would probably be unknown if he wasn't a Laker. Green is overpaid and just past his sell-by date. Caruso is a backup PG, the kind of guy you want in the 8-10 slots on your bench. THT is nothing, as of now.

If those four guys were were on another team and we were trading for them, I doubt anyone here would think they were worth giving up much for.

It's the typical case of thinking your guys are worth more simply because they're your guys.

Again. Having value does not have to return a superstar.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

If our guys all opt in to their player options, we got 40m+ in expirings and aren’t restricted by NTCs.

The thing is, those contracts are only valuable to teams looking to get off longterm deals. So it would be for guys like AGordon, Beal, Hield, LaVine, etc.

But that means we scrap the 2021 plan unless we flip those deals to the Bucks for Giannis. Is that realistic? Only way it becomes even remotely plausible is if Giannis forced his way here a la AD. Nothing about Giannis’s mode suggests that.

So all our potential expirings wont really have value in a market where most teams have already set-up for 2021 free agency and won’t need those expirings or potential disgruntled stars (who can be difference makers) haven’t shown they want out yet.

I still aim for either a young stretch 5 like Turner or a playmaking guard type like DeJounte or Simmons (using that Klutch konnection). Imo chasing Giannis will lead to another kawhiet free agency for us in 2021. Unless we bring in legit closets into our FO ranks, we should abandon that plan ASAP.

And if I’m a franchise like Milwaukee and Giannis wants out, I get all the ending contracts and draft picks I can get. S&T or no S&T, I start rebuilding.

Right....and if it comes down to them conducting a S&T so that they don't lose Giannis for nothing, then would Kuz (who will hit the 1st year of a potential lucrative deal), our 2020 1st (at that point, he will be in his 2nd year and will be in the 20-30 range), 2021 1st (9-30 pick and must be signed & delivered after the draft concludes) and our 2027 1st at the earliest (can't trade our 2026 1st cause we won't know if Nawlins will defer our 2024 1st to our 2025 1st and you can't trade consecutive future 1sts per the Stepien Rule and we can only trade up to 2028 due to the 7 year Stepien clause)....is that enough for Milwaukee to trade Giannis here?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Right....and if it comes down to them conducting a S&T so that they don't lose Giannis for nothing, then would Kuz (who will hit the 1st year of a potential lucrative deal), our 2020 1st (at that point, he will be in his 2nd year and will be in the 20-30 range), 2021 1st (9-30 pick and must be signed & delivered after the draft concludes) and our 2027 1st at the earliest (can't trade our 2026 1st cause we won't know if Nawlins will defer our 2024 1st to our 2025 1st and you can't trade consecutive future 1sts per the Stepien Rule and we can only trade up to 2028 due to the 7 year Stepien clause)....is that enough for Milwaukee to trade Giannis here?

I don't think that would be anywhere close enough. Every team in the NBA would want him so you'd be seeing bidding wars that would beat that Lakers offer pretty easily. You're offering them a couple mediocre picks and a hopefully solid role player (by that time) for the best player in the NBA.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I don't think that would be anywhere close enough. Every team in the NBA would want him so you'd be seeing bidding wars that would beat that Lakers offer pretty easily. You're offering them a couple mediocre picks and a hopefully solid role player (by that time) for the best player in the NBA.

Exactly haha. Ban the 2021 plan. If our players opt into their player options this summer, we got 40m+ in expiring salary fodder to go get a longterm deal that will help Bron/AD right the (bleep) now. Exploit that window instead of geek'n for the outside possibility of Freak'n.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

I think its a forgone conclusion that if he is signed next season, it will be for the vets min. As for this season, I never expected him to be jettisoned. The Lakers pride themselves on taking care of players and never thought they would do Boogie dirty. I can not remember a player attending EVERY game while out with a long term injury. We also have to factor in the relationship between AD and Boogie. The last thing the FO would want is to alienate AD. If we get Boogie back this year or next, great. If not, so be it. I am rooting for him, because he clearly has had some adversity as of late.

Nope - we would sign him for 120% of his current salary. No reason not to give him $4.2m as an over the cap team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

Nope - we would sign him for 120% of his current salary. No reason not to give him $4.2m as an over the cap team.

That's a good point. We're not going to have any space cap anyway.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

And most of those deals would likely require draft assets.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If those four guys were were on another team and we were trading for them, I doubt anyone here would think they were worth giving up much for.

It's the typical case of thinking your guys are worth more simply because they're your guys.

I’ll quibble with this a little bit, but it amounts to the same thing. It’s a case of seeing sparklies in the display case and convincing yourself that your handful of pebbles are a fair trade.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject:

^
This whole 2021 thing never made sense for me. We have Lebron signed until 2022. Unless Lebron has already told them he'd be willing to opt out and take less if we get Giannis, I don't know why they didn't allign the other contracts with his.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

Besides overpaying for him
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Right.
Value, even small enough to make trades.
I don't think anyone is expecting a superstar in return. Or not sure if saying a player has values even means that.

Sure. If Pelinka and crew can identify undervalued assets, we might get somewhere even with the limited value of our assets. We don’t have a great track record as a franchise when it comes to those sorts of deals. The last one I can think of was the Ariza deal. We could use a deal like that.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

And do we have said required draft assets?

https://media1.giphy.com/media/p4cqQ0gUIMcU0/giphy.gif
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

It’s not your money and him having a larger salary has some advantages. You can get more back in a trade and sign him for 175% of 4.2 if you want to keep him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

And do we have said required draft assets?

https://media1.giphy.com/media/p4cqQ0gUIMcU0/giphy.gif

Exactamundo.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
^
This whole 2021 thing never made sense for me. We have Lebron signed until 2022. Unless Lebron has already told them he'd be willing to opt out and take less if we get Giannis, I don't know why they didn't allign the other contracts with his.

I guess we send Lebron to the Bucks in an S&T deal. Bwahaha.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Right.
Value, even small enough to make trades.
I don't think anyone is expecting a superstar in return. Or not sure if saying a player has values even means that.

Sure. If Pelinka and crew can identify undervalued assets, we might get somewhere even with the limited value of our assets. We don’t have a great track record as a franchise when it comes to those sorts of deals. The last one I can think of was the Ariza deal. We could use a deal like that.

Yep. Getting lucky would be a great benefit.
And the summer is going to be interesting.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

I would not give him the Non-Bird Exception.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

It’s not your money and him having a larger salary has some advantages. You can get more back in a trade and sign him for 175% of 4.2 if you want to keep him.

One thing to consider bro is that it looks like we won't be able to exploit favorable trades (175% vs 125% in incoming salary) since we could be looking at being a tax payer next season.

Once AD signs to his 30%max deal and if our players all opt into their deal along with Boog reupped at 4.2m and our projected 20-30th FRP signed, then we project to be at about 132m in team salary.

If we use the NT-MLE, then we'd be at a team salary of 142m, breaking through the luxury tax floor of 139m and being roughly 3m away from the cap apron of 145m. (Remember use of the MLE automatically hard caps us at the apron). So seeing how close we are to the apron, we might even bypass using the full BAE this coming summer under this scenario.

So in a round about way, I don't think we would be able to exploit favorable incoming salaries via trade seeing how we're projected to be a tax payer this summer. Of course certain players not opting into their deal and taking less money and/or waiving Cook (guaranteed only 1m) and trading away our 2020 1st for a future 1st can afford us some flex if we're looking to keep Boog @ 4.2m.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

If they trade him after re-signing him again, wouldn't that be "doing him dirty"?

What about all the players most discussed to be traded at the trade deadline, would trading them be doing them dirty too? In your opinion, where is the line when it is ok to do a player dirty compared to treating him as an asset?

Lakers have done a thorough job of cleaning out players over the past couple years, Lakers do them dirty?

Your opinion seems hypocritical and vague.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

If they trade him after re-signing him again, wouldn't that be "doing him dirty"?

What about all the players most discussed to be traded at the trade deadline, would trading them be doing them dirty too? In your opinion, where is the line when it is ok to do a player dirty compared to treating him as an asset?

Lakers have done a thorough job of cleaning out players over the past couple years, Lakers do them dirty?

Your opinion seems hypocritical and vague.

If its a 1 year deal then Boog can block a trade cause there would be a built in no-trade clause in his deal via his non-bird rights.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
^

even if there was cap space there is not even a likely max player to be had in the 2021 free agency
(spoiler alert: Giannis is NOT coming to the Lakers)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

I think the bigger advantage to giving him a couple extra million is to make him and by extension his buddy AD happy. Trying to lowball him to save [by NBA standards] an insignificant amount of money seems foolish.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

I think the bigger advantage to giving him a couple extra million is to make him and by extension his buddy AD happy. Trying to lowball him to save [by NBA standards] an insignificant amount of money seems foolish.

The issue won't be the cash, it'll be the years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4454, 4455, 4456 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4455 of 8560
Jump to: