OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5753, 5754, 5755 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
It's not just Dennis, there is Bam and possibly others. You still need to sow the seeds for the future, 2-3 years down the line. I can see RP's side being an ex-agent and fostering relationships being a priority for continued success. Kosta's is a minor inconvenience so to speak but possibly major repercussions in 2-3 years. KCP gave hope to Lebron but who would have thought upon his signing AD would also be here.

As I mentioned earlier if Lakers need to rely on a 2-way player then they are *******. I prefer he be replaced but Lakers can wait till next offseason to address this.

I don't have a problem with your general point about maintaining relationships with agents, but I'm skeptical that Kostas is particularly important to any agent that matters. Heck, we've kept him on the roster for a good long time, even though it was apparent long ago that he wasn't likely to develop into an NBA quality player. If we ever have a need for his roster spot, I don't see any diplomatic reason to keep him around.

Exactly. The diplomatic move was not to cut him loose 1 second after Giannis's extension was signed. We've kept him on the team for years (and months after his brother and even Bam already signed long term extensions). If the worry is Dennis, I doubt Kostas is the pressure point as to whether Dennis will sign or not.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

Our Finals odds keep moving back to the field. Bettors are finally catching on to the deficiencies of this team.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Our Finals odds keep moving back to the field. Bettors are finally catching on to the deficiencies of this team.

Two big decencies are KCP and Matthews....I'm not sure I would give up on KCP yet although I wouldn't oppose a trade depending on who we got back..Matthews on the other hand needs to be traded or released....the guy is absolutely worthless. What a has been.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

I can’t imagine we don’t target some shooters. You can see the frustration on LBS’s face. Every other team knocks down threes and we continue to struggle.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

There is such as a thing as KCPlayoffs.

But Regular season KCP has been pretty terrible.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
It's not just Dennis, there is Bam and possibly others. You still need to sow the seeds for the future, 2-3 years down the line. I can see RP's side being an ex-agent and fostering relationships being a priority for continued success. Kosta's is a minor inconvenience so to speak but possibly major repercussions in 2-3 years. KCP gave hope to Lebron but who would have thought upon his signing AD would also be here.

As I mentioned earlier if Lakers need to rely on a 2-way player then they are *******. I prefer he be replaced but Lakers can wait till next offseason to address this.

I don't have a problem with your general point about maintaining relationships with agents, but I'm skeptical that Kostas is particularly important to any agent that matters. Heck, we've kept him on the roster for a good long time, even though it was apparent long ago that he wasn't likely to develop into an NBA quality player. If we ever have a need for his roster spot, I don't see any diplomatic reason to keep him around.

Exactly. The diplomatic move was not to cut him loose 1 second after Giannis's extension was signed. We've kept him on the team for years (and months after his brother and even Bam already signed long term extensions). If the worry is Dennis, I doubt Kostas is the pressure point as to whether Dennis will sign or not.

I think that it's more likely that there isn't a D league player who the Lakers are interested in signing to a TW contract right now.

They would cut him if there was a reason. But they probably won't cut him just to take another flier on a player they don't see contributing this season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

I think that it's more likely that there isn't a D league player who the Lakers are interested in signing to a TW contract right now.

They would cut him if there was a reason. But they probably won't cut him just to take another flier on a player they don't see contributing this season.

That is true. But the concept that we shouldn't cut him if there is someone worth looking at doesn't make sense to me anymore now that Giannis/Bam are re-signed, and Dennis/Lakers extension will happen at its own pace, with or without Kostas, a non-NBA player.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

Last Last season we were getting about the best versions of everybody.. or at least good enough.

This season AD has been bad per his standards, Gasol is finally just getting going but is now out, Dennis' shooting has been meh, KCP has been terrible compared to last season, Wes is wildly inconsistent and Trez is forced to be a center when he doesn't have the size to hold that position down for more than spot mins, he's a PF. LeBron and Kuz have been amazing. AC has been fine but not healthy.

Rob is going to have to make some move because as constructed, despite the missing players, I am not sure we're able to beat Clippers or Nets. I also think Utah could possibly upset us if they're hot shooting continues into April May June.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

The decision would be that while Gasol is in covid protocol to start Damian Jones and play Harrell off the bench. He can play the same 17-20 mpg that Gasol was and Harrell getting the majority of the backup minutes and minutes in general. That was why we got Jones for insurance right?

It's not rocket science. Vogel doesn't have to make it more difficult than it has to be.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

We ain't winning (bleep) this year. We'll be lucky just to get to the WCF. It's a shame because I was hoping we could pull off another championship during Lebron's tenure and surpass the Celtics but it's looking more and more unlikely.

Our next offseason is going to be another test for Pelinka. Hope he makes some wiser moves.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

I think we all realize Rob is an intelligent person. Law School education, successful agent, orchestrated the building of a team that won a championship. He has mentioned in multiple instances that he wants to build a Laker team for continued long term success. As such I believe he has the foresight to start laying the foundation for a post Lebron era.

The contracts of AD and Giannis have only a 1 year difference in length. Is it difficult to believe he is looking at an AD and Giannis pairing in 3-4 years to continue the Lakers run as a championship contender? Does keeping Kostas help in this respect? Is this too reaching of an assumption? In business we always planned years ahead. I hope RP has this same foresight and while nothing is guaranteed with Giannis you need to put yourself in the position to at least have the opportunity to acquire his services. Much in the same way as KCP and Lebron. Who thought of Lebron coming to the Lakers before KCP arrived.

So weigh the options. Kostas-Giannis vs. another 2-way project. How does a new 2-way impact the chances of winning a championship when even the 12-15th players rarely see the court?

Indirectly related to this discussion is Keljin Blevins, a 2-way for the Trailblazers. He is probably not even a gleague player but being Dame's cousin has its perks.

Building relationships matters from my POV.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
We ain't winning (bleep) this year. We'll be lucky just to get to the WCF. It's a shame because I was hoping we could pull off another championship during Lebron's tenure and surpass the Celtics but it's looking more and more unlikely.

Our next offseason is going to be another test for Pelinka. Hope he makes some wiser moves.

Do you feel this way because the team is inherently a poor fit, or that we haven't figured out how to best utilize the talent?
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

MJST wrote:
The decision would be that while Gasol is in covid protocol to start Damian Jones and play Harrell off the bench. He can play the same 17-20 mpg that Gasol was and Harrell getting the majority of the backup minutes and minutes in general. That was why we got Jones for insurance right?

It's not rocket science. Vogel doesn't have to make it more difficult than it has to be.

Are we comfortable on jones’s familiarity of our defense to start games? With a lot of our guys missing, it’s critical for us to start games at an advantage.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

By that logic, we are obligated to keep Kostas next year and every year thereafter just in case? At some point, he is or isn't an NBA prospect. I think it's fairly clear he isn't. And waiting for Giannis to hit FA in what, 4-5 years, isn't enough for me to waste a spot on Kostas.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Lakers interested in bringing back McGee per Dan Woike
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

It’s that time again, “rival executives.”

https://twitter.com/lakerssbn/status/1367187413756436489?s=21
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Does McGee need to go to another team before the Lakers could acquire him? So would it require a 3 team trade? Cavs - team A - Lakers where the compensation needs to be worked out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

Jav would have to be traded to another team, then bought out.

Otherwise we are barred from re-signing him if the Cavs buy him out.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

I don’t think we bring back McGee, getting Whiteside has some hurdles and Drummond is definitely gonna get traded so we might have to switch our focus on guys like Myles Turner / Bismack Biyombo .. etc.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
The contracts of AD and Giannis have only a 1 year difference in length. Is it difficult to believe he is looking at an AD and Giannis pairing in 3-4 years to continue the Lakers run as a championship contender? Does keeping Kostas help in this respect? Is this too reaching of an assumption? In business we always planned years ahead. I hope RP has this same foresight and while nothing is guaranteed with Giannis you need to put yourself in the position to at least have the opportunity to acquire his services. Much in the same way as KCP and Lebron. Who thought of Lebron coming to the Lakers before KCP arrived.

So weigh the options. Kostas-Giannis vs. another 2-way project. How does a new 2-way impact the chances of winning a championship when even the 12-15th players rarely see the court?

I don't disagree with your general premise. Relationships matter. However, I doubt that we would keep Kostas on the payroll for five years in the hope that Giannis will join us in his 30s. We don't even know that Giannis will be an elite player in the summer of '25. Injuries happen. DeMarcus Cousins was an elite player five years ago. It's possible that Giannis will decide to force his way out of Milwaukee before then, but trying to match salaries with a super max contract would be a nightmare. We might actually need to send Lebron to the Bucks.

But sure, in general, maintaining good relations with an agent is a good thing. If keeping Kostas on the payroll for some period of time helps with future dealings with this particular agent, I can see your point. I'm just not sold on the specific angle involving Giannis.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Do you feel this way because the team is inherently a poor fit, or that we haven't figured out how to best utilize the talent?

I don't think we've beaten any of the top 4 teams in each conference. So far, it seems we're "outmatched" against these teams. It's already half a season so I think we've already utilized whatever new talent that we have to the best of our ability.

The major concern that I have is the lack of a defensive big man like Howard that could be thrown out against guys like Jokic, Nurkic or Embiid. It would not only free up AD to guard the paint but allow him to have energy to score. Basically, another defensive big would bolster our defense and lessen the burden on AD defensively and offensively thus lessen the chance of injury and prolong his longevity.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

My concern this season was AD's body holding up after such a short turnaround, plus Marc's age/last season's injury concerns, and COVID. Unfortunately, it has hit us all at once. Thankfully we will have the all star break soon and I hope Marc is ready to go by then.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Does McGee need to go to another team before the Lakers could acquire him? So would it require a 3 team trade? Cavs - team A - Lakers where the compensation needs to be worked out.

I believe the only way we can reacquire McGee this season is if he is traded to another team, and then waived, and he clears waivers.

I don't believe we are able to trade for him this season, even if he is first traded to another team, unless there was some change to the CBA rules that I don't know about
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

The contracts of AD and Giannis have only a 1 year difference in length. Is it difficult to believe he is looking at an AD and Giannis pairing in 3-4 years to continue the Lakers run as a championship contender? Does keeping Kostas help in this respect? Is this too reaching of an assumption? In business we always planned years ahead. I hope RP has this same foresight and while nothing is guaranteed with Giannis you need to put yourself in the position to at least have the opportunity to acquire his services. Much in the same way as KCP and Lebron. Who thought of Lebron coming to the Lakers before KCP arri.

After this season, Kostas is no longer eligible for a two-way contract. I can't imagine the Lakers will give him a roster spot for four years out of a hope this will encourage his brother to sign with us at some point in the distant future.

And frankly, I doubt that would influence what Giannis does one way or the other.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I don't think we've beaten any of the top 4 teams in each conference. So far, it seems we're "outmatched" against these teams. It's already half a season so I think we've already utilized whatever new talent that we have to the best of our ability.

The major concern that I have is the lack of a defensive big man like Howard that could be thrown out against guys like Jokic, Nurkic or Embiid. It would not only free up AD to guard the paint but allow him to have energy to score. Basically, another defensive big would bolster our defense and lessen the burden on AD defensively and offensively thus lessen the chance of injury and prolong his longevity.

Lmao. “The Lakers haven’t beaten anyone” was exactly what everyone (including some Laker fans) were screaming last season before the Lakers shut them up right before the shutdown, which was further into last season than we are right now. How did that work out? I can’t quite seem to remember.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5753, 5754, 5755 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5754 of 8560
Jump to: