OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5978, 5979, 5980 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So proud of Julius Randle for finally fulfilling his potential as a basketball player he’s like a mini Charles Barkley right now in terms of play style.

44/10/7 against the Mavs. Getting the job done.

Thibs has given him control of the offense and he plays like a lesser Lebron. The passing is there almost every game. No longer tunnel vision bull in the china shop drives.

Thibs supposedly has highly regarded development coaches and it seems all their players are benefiting. They did just lose Mike Woodson to Indiana University.

When he came into the league, he was basically just entirely around the basket. Watched him some tonight, it's just remarkable how he has developed both a mid and long range game.

The one guy that also impressed me from the Knicks was Barrett. That guy just finds a way into the paint and I saw a few times where he was blanketed but still found a way to get the ball in. Can also hit a 3.

If Barret keeps developing, and Knicks add a good all around player, they could be a problem next year.

Seems their fan base would like Lonzo. I am not sure of that fit and whether they want to tie the $'s up to sign him.

Agree on Barrett. Like night and day from last season. A good coach surely makes a difference.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

T.J. McConnell is an extremely self-aware, trash-talking dork

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/4/16/22388157/t-j-mcconnell-pacers-trash-talk-dork

I wanted him last season and hope they sign him next year. Always liked him from his game against Lonzo in the summer league. Tough defender, underrated passer who takes care of the ball. More a 2pt scorer, gets to the rim and fits as a change of pace backup pg.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Knew Julius would be a good player, but didn’t think he would be THIS good.

Happy for Julius. He’s become a really good player. Even being the #1 option and focus of opponent, he’s still has stretches of being unstoppable.

I always wonder what would have been if he hadn’t broken his leg his first game rookie year. We would have had an extra year to see him develop and maybe keep him. Magic letting him walk for nothing was pathetic.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Happy for Julius. He’s become a really good player. Even being the #1 option and focus of opponent, he’s still has stretches of being unstoppable.

Same. Even the most optimistic Randle fan didn't imagine him hitting iso stare 3s in opponent's faces. Or even shoot 40% on all 3s. He's exceeded even the highest of projections.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/4/16/22388157/t-j-mcconnell-pacers-trash-talk-dork

I wanted him last season and hope they sign him next year. Always liked him from his game against Lonzo in the summer league. Tough defender, underrated passer who takes care of the ball. More a 2pt scorer, gets to the rim and fits as a change of pace backup pg.

Hmmm... do I want the guy who shoots 58% eFG with the 3 to 1 assist turnover ratio for 3 million... or do I want the guy who shoots 47% with the tunnel vision for 21 million...

Tough call.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Given how good Julius is now, there are always going to be discussions about whether we made a mistake in late 2018 in not signing him to say a 4 year, ~$15 mill a year deal. That would look like a steal for this year and next given how he is playing.

But...remember...it was not just the Lakers which passed on JR. For 18-19, no other team in the league offered more than the MLE and then for 19-20 free agency, only NY offered 2 years guaranteed with a third year only guaranteed at $4 mill. The entire league was not sold on JR. Now everyone is.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject:

As good as JR has become he will remain a wierd fit. Not good enough to build a contender around and not the best complimentary piece as a 2nd or 3rd star.

But he's balling and maximizing his potential. Love to see it and I love to watch him play.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
Given how good Julius is now, there are always going to be discussions about whether we made a mistake in late 2018 in not signing him to say a 4 year, ~$15 mill a year deal. That would look like a steal for this year and next given how he is playing.

But...remember...it was not just the Lakers which passed on JR. For 18-19, no other team in the league offered more than the MLE and then for 19-20 free agency, only NY offered 2 years guaranteed with a third year only guaranteed at $4 mill. The entire league was not sold on JR. Now everyone is.

Everyone knew Julius could score and rebound. The issues were his defense, BBIQ and whether his numbers contributed to wins.

Even in his monster game vs Dallas (44/10/6), Julius was a (-1).

The biggest trap in the NBA is the high-salary-high-usage-empty-stats guy.

Perhaps Julius has turned a corner under Thibs. A good indicator will be if the Knicks extend him this summer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Hmmm... do I want the guy who shoots 58% eFG with the 3 to 1 assist turnover ratio for 3 million... or do I want the guy who shoots 47% with the tunnel vision for 21 million...

Tough call.

Butterfly effect. Huh?

You really think the Lakers will go for him? Have you seen him shoot, especially in playoff settings?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

He's someone you would consider replacing AC with. He's not a deep playoffs starting caliber PG. He lack of 3 point shooting would really hurt the team. But he's a really annoying defender, and will probably get close to whatever AC gets. He's not getting a minimum deal.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Tough call.

Butterfly effect. Huh?

You really think the Lakers will go for him? Have you seen him shoot, especially in playoff settings?

Man I wish you'd use your incredible debate stamina for something other than defending Schroder.

You could probably convince some Republican congress members to enact policy to slow global warming or support universal health care, but instead you waste it on him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Tough call.

Butterfly effect. Huh?

Man I wish you'd use your incredible debate stamina for something other than defending Schroder.

You could probably convince some Republican congress members to enact policy to slow global warming or support universal health care, but instead you waste it on him.

No. B/c there are so many bad takes on Dennis based on personal feelings. I stand up against these bad takes. And it seems you mostly weigh in on Dennis anyways, so here we are.

I live in the PA/NJ/NY region and specifically remember how insanely bad TJ was for the 76ers in the playoffs. His absolute lack of shooting was such a killer for them. Same issue here. Why do you think the Lakers wouldn't just keep AC over him? Dennis is a far superior playoff performer. Check the stats.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Tough call.

Butterfly effect. Huh?

And here I thought we could go a day without an unnecessary political interjection on LG.

We get it, you don't agree with Republicans. You're very smart and cool. Want your cookie? Now please, back on topic.

Last edited by BlueNGold on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Tough call.

Butterfly effect. Huh?

No. B/c there are so many bad takes on Dennis based on personal feelings. I stand up against these bad takes. And it seems you mostly weigh in on Dennis anyways, so here we are.

I live in the PA/NJ/NY region and specifically remember how insanely TJ was for the 76ers in the playoffs. His absolute lack of shooting was such a killer for them. Same issue here. Why do you think the Lakers wouldn't just keep AC over him? Dennis is a far superior playoff performer. Check the stats.

TJ averages 56% shooting in the playoffs while Dennis averages 43%

I can see how Dennis might be better as a starter than TJ but remember for me it is about price.

I'm happy we have Drummond... but I don't want to pay him 84 million either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Tough call.

Butterfly effect. Huh?

I live in the PA/NJ/NY region and specifically remember how insanely TJ was for the 76ers in the playoffs. His absolute lack of shooting was such a killer for them. Same issue here. Why do you think the Lakers wouldn't just keep AC over him? Dennis is a far superior playoff performer. Check the stats.

I can see how Dennis might be better as a starter than TJ but remember for me it is about price.

And that’s why you are considering one player for 3m and the Lakers just offered the other 21m/year. TJ is an offensive liability. I’ve seen him up close on the 76ers. It was 4 on 5 with him on offense. I like AC better. At least he shoots and makes 3s.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Tough call.

Butterfly effect. Huh?

And that’s why you are considering one player for 3m and the Lakers just offered the other 21m/year. TJ is an offensive liability. I’ve seen him up close on the 76ers. It was 4 on 5 with him on offense. I like AC better. At least he shoots and makes 3s.

I've already said my current stance is signing someone cheap like Payton and draft a youngster like Juzang or Giddey and use the vet until the kid is ready. You want to roll with Schroder and I expect that is the most likely scenario although I'm guessing Rob is exploring all options. I've already said you brought up some fair points about having to live with the situation because of moves we've made, the difference is that you have come to peace with it while I haven't yet.

I haven't watched McConnell enough to know if he can play starter's minutes and be effective at all and I get the Caruso analogy... but in the same way Kobe didn't need Schroder and was fine with Fisher... I think we'd be fine with LBJ and a Payton/McConnell type instead of blowing 21 per year on Schroder.

We'll see what happens.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Same. Even the most optimistic Randle fan didn't imagine him hitting iso stare 3s in opponent's faces. Or even shoot 40% on all 3s. He's exceeded even the highest of projections.

Those that followed him constantly working on his jumper in the off-season year after year after year, in addition to knowing how intense his work ethic was(when Kobe respects your work ethic that says something). Then his shooting was going to get better. He seems to have finally found what works and that's great and shows that having the talent + the hard work will get you there eventually, you just have to never stop working and he didn't.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

Everyone knew Julius could score and rebound. The issues were his defense, BBIQ and whether his numbers contributed to wins.

Perhaps Julius has turned a corner under Thibs. A good indicator will be if the Knicks extend him this summer.

Nah, a good indicator that he's "turned the corner" is the eye test. JR is 100% legit.

And saying people knew he could score and rebound significantly understates what level of player he has developed himself into. When he was a Laker, yes he could score but that was primarily in the paint as an undersized "big". With us we had Montrezl Jr. that we speculated might suffer if he played outside of incoming LeBron's painted area of operations.

We let Randle walk for nothing to maximize the chance to sign two more mega-stars alongside LeBron (obviously a bad decision, even if we did a sign and trade to get some value for future use/trade material), but since then he has GREATLY extended his shooting range.

I mean, there's a report going around that Kobe spoke to him back in the day and told him the key to improving on offense is to make sure that in every city he traveled on the road of the season, Randle should find a spot to get up a ton of shots. Always be practicing.

The report goes on to say that in one city, he was allowed to go to a high school gym late night to shoot there by himself, and the guy who opened up the gym told J.R., that the last player who had him make the court available was Kobe Bean Bryant. As you can imagine, Randle was even more motivated to work on his game, seeing that he was on the same path of dedication as his childhood idol and current friend #24 (R.I.P.).

His defense (under Thibs at least) has gotten a lot better as well. So there is zero question that Julius will be rewarded handsomely in his next contract if he stays healthy. I continue to hope all the best for him in his career moving forward. I've always enjoyed seeing players elevate their game significantly beyond what some may have expected of them. Lavine exceeded my expectations, and Dort in OKC came out of nowhere to become an above average 3P shooter to go along with his elite defense. Stuff like this helps to keep mythe enjoyment and interest of the NBA overall beyond the Lakers' ups and downs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

Nah, a good indicator that he's "turned the corner" is the eye test. JR is 100% legit.

And saying people knew he could score and rebound significantly understates what level of player he has developed himself into. When he was a Laker, yes he could score but that was primarily in the paint as an undersized "big". With us we had Montrezl Jr. that we speculated might suffer if he played outside of incoming LeBron's painted area of operations.

We let Randle walk for nothing to maximize the chance to sign two more mega-stars alongside LeBron (obviously a bad decision, even if we did a sign and trade to get some value for future use/trade material), but since then he has GREATLY extended his shooting range.

I mean, there's a report going around that Kobe spoke to him back in the day and told him the key to improving on offense is to make sure that in every city he traveled on the road of the season, Randle should find a spot to get up a ton of shots. Always be practicing.

The report goes on to say that in one city, he was allowed to go to a high school gym late night to shoot there by himself, and the guy who opened up the gym told J.R., that the last player who had him make the court available was Kobe Bean Bryant. As you can imagine, Randle was even more motivated to work on his game, seeing that he was on the same path of dedication as his childhood idol and current friend #24 (R.I.P.).

His defense (under Thibs at least) has gotten a lot better as well. So there is zero question that Julius will be rewarded handsomely in his next contract if he stays healthy. I continue to hope all the best for him in his career moving forward. I've always enjoyed seeing players elevate their game significantly beyond what some may have expected of them. Lavine exceeded my expectations, and Dort in OKC came out of nowhere to become an above average 3P shooter to go along with his elite defense. Stuff like this helps to keep mythe enjoyment and interest of the NBA overall beyond the Lakers' ups and downs.

I really was sad we lost Jules. He was our highest draft pick in a long time.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Zach LaVine to forego contract extensions with Chicago, will be unrestricted free agent in 2022.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1383194059955666952?s=21
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

Randle’s game went to another level when he developed a reliable outside jumpshot. That’s the key, in today’s league that is crucial.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
Quote:
Zach LaVine to forego contract extensions with Chicago, will be unrestricted free agent in 2022.

LaVine + AD?
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
Quote:

Zach LaVine says LeBron James is his “dream teammate”.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2876392-zach-lavine-says-lebron-james-is-his-dream-teammate-in-first-take-interview.amp.html
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

Hmm, we won't have the cap space to pursue Lavine. But what about something like Dennis (S&T) + THT (S&T) + 2021 1st (when we can use to draft for Chicago)? THT could really be sold as a Chicago kid coming home and get some shine.

I think my view on Lavine has changed a bit for the positive recently.

But doubt it gets done. He probably will extend with Chicago.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

Julius has surprised me. He learned from Kobe

In all seriousness, Julius would NEVER be the player he is today if he was still a Laker. Look at his game, he could never play that way with Lebron and AD. He had to leave to become better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5978, 5979, 5980 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5979 of 8560
Jump to: