OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7045, 7046, 7047 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Any GM that starts a team with Lebron/AD or even Lebron alone has been dealt pocket Aces. You can still play the hand wrong and just win because you have such an advance given the hand you were dealt.

In the case of Rob, he has played the hand wrong more than he has played it right.

Which of his moves were bad? You can't criticize moves he didn't make unless you know the conditions under which he was operating (e.g. blaming him for not closing the Kawhi deal when it's now apparent that Kawhi did not want to want to come here).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Yeah it’s preseason…

But still, we’re anticipating that we’ll be an uptempo team by forcing AD to the 5 (he.obviously.does.not.want.to.play.the.5) and going small with Russ also more of a breaking player instead of a half court set type guy.

We led the preseason in possessions and were 2nd overall in PACE.
https://go.nba.com/6b4b

Unfortunately, we didn’t convert on a high enough clip, so we’re 26th in Ortg. You guys really think with Vogs at the helm our offense will suddenly become more efficient. That’s not his acumen and I’m surprised we didn’t go harder at targets to help with our offense. We pretty much insinuated that Bron/Russ get paid the big bucks, so they’re going to be our OCs as well.

I'm choosing to stay positive, even though I have strong feelings about some of the offseason moves. It's hard to believe that a team with Lebron, Davis, and Westbrook could fail to be strong offensively. I think they'll figure it out.

Nonetheless, I can see a scenario in which it might not work out. There was talk about bringing in Westbrook to relieve the pressure on Lebron, but that means that, to some extent, what Westbrook brings to the team is duplicative of what we already had with Lebron. Until I watched the first half of the Warriors game, I hadn't really thought of it that way. The addition of Westbrook may relieve some of Lebron's workload, and that may provide health benefits over the course of a long season into the playoffs, but that may not provide as much of a boost to the offense as some people expected. Westbrook will generate some lobs for dunks, and at times he will be an offensive dynamo, but it does not necessarily follow that the net effect on the offense will be significant. We shall see.

As for Davis, I am concerned that he doesn't have the offensive game to play a lot of minutes at center. I'm surprised to be saying that, but I've seen other people make the same comment recently. He has the offensive game of PF/C (though he sometimes plays more as a PF/SF). But if we want to make him a C/PF, we may be losing something from him on the offensive end.

As for the rest of the roster, it's pretty bleak, but I keep reminding myself that we're missing THT, Ariza, and Monk. Carmelo will take any shot he gets, and there will be times when he lights it up. But otherwise, he doesn't add much. Reaves has been the most consistent contributor from the role players, though Bazemore has been decent.

But that defense . . . . There are going to be some nights this year when we just get blown out of the arena. From what I saw, opposing teams can get a wide open three whenever they take the time to move the ball. I don't know how we fix that. If we have Lebron, Carmelo, and Westbrook trying to guard the perimeter . . . oh, man.

As an aside on the stats, it's important to remember that Pace doesn't necessarily correlate with anything. That is exactly what you're describing. There are people who think that we'll generate a lot of offense if we get out and run, but that's true only if we have the system and players to do it. Our transition game produced some highlight reel plays against Golden State (especially Lebron doing his thing), but there were a number of other possessions when we ran up the court and everyone seemed to be hustling into a position for a bad shot. 538 had an interesting article a week or so ago about pull-up jump shots. The upshot of the article was that these shots are really popular, but they don't appear to improve a team's chances of winning.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Any GM that starts a team with Lebron/AD or even Lebron alone has been dealt pocket Aces. You can still play the hand wrong and just win because you have such an advance given the hand you were dealt.

In the case of Rob, he has played the hand wrong more than he has played it right.

Which of his moves were bad? You can't criticize moves he didn't make unless you know the conditions under which he was operating (e.g. blaming him for not closing the Kawhi deal when it's now apparent that Kawhi did not want to want to come here).

Can we agree that the whole Howard-Harrell-Gasol-Drummond saga was not well played? You can say that it didn't make any difference because of injuries, or you can brush it off some other way. However, can we find common ground and just agree that this was not well done?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Can we agree that the whole Howard-Harrell-Gasol-Drummond saga was not well played? You can say that it didn't make any difference because of injuries, or you can brush it off some other way. However, can we find common ground and just agree that this was not well done?

Signing Drummond and Harrell and letting Dwight go were mistakes. Not sure about Gasol, it seems he didn't really want to be here anymore. The mistakes have been corrected, so I give credit for that. I would've been very disappointed if the team kept Drummond.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Tuff not to add one mo with that Schro fella.

That being said, it’s the non-moves that have irked me. Still can’t get over having the 2014 #7 overall pick as a Restricted (which is not a misnomer) FA, walk away for nothing a year before he became an unrestricted FA. Also when that max capspace pivoted away from Kawhi to Green/Kcp/McGee/Boog/Cook which then ultimately turned into Schro and seeing how that ended…yikes! Pin it on Magic all you want, but Rob’s been there lying in the cut allowing an asset like Caruso go with nothing to show for it either.

Btw, AH totally agree with your previous post as well in that I don’t see how the offense doesn’t eventually turn around. I think Russ will figure it out and he will be a good insurance policy for Bron during the RS (which should rightfully be a priority for us). However, I really hope that once the offense comes, it won’t be at the sacrifice of our defense.

As it stands, our personnel projects not to be a very good defensive unit. Furthermore, moving AD to 5 is primarily done for offensive purposes, but is making him more if a stretch/perimeter option really the most efficient way to go in getting buckets. Then looking at the other side of the ball, our perimeter defense will usually reroute everything towards AD as a rim protector. Is that really a good look when dude has injury concerns and is mobile enough to play opposing wings himself while being more of a weak side help defender.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I don't lump Gasol into that. I think replacing McGee with Gasol but keeping Dwight on the bench would have been the ideal scenario. Harrell was a total flop and gigantic waste of the best FA asset (NT-MLE) we will have in a very long time. #ClipperTrashNeverAgain. At least Drummond only cost us the minimum.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

As an aside, the 538 computer model doesn’t like this team much. It projects us at 42-40, ninth in the West. That seems low to me, and I expect almost everyone here to agree. Still, it’s worth remembering that there are reasons to be apprehensive about this season.

Yeah it’s preseason…

But still, we’re anticipating that we’ll be an uptempo team by forcing AD to the 5 (he.obviously.does.not.want.to.play.the.5) and going small with Russ also more of a breaking player instead of a half court set type guy.

We led the preseason in possessions and were 2nd overall in PACE.
https://go.nba.com/6b4b

Unfortunately, we didn’t convert on a high enough clip, so we’re 26th in Ortg. You guys really think with Vogs at the helm our offense will suddenly become more efficient. That’s not his acumen and I’m surprised we didn’t go harder at targets to help with our offense. We pretty much insinuated that Bron/Russ get paid the big bucks, so they’re going to be our OCs as well.

Meanwhile, Dallas was 1st in points per game/1st in Ortg all while being 26th in possessions per game…so highly efficient. And as for their drtg, they were 2nd overall. I guess all that time on the bench as a player, won’t make him such a Dud as an asst coach.

All Kidding aside, there is a reason to worry with Vogs at the helm and a defensive guy like Fitz, 2nd in command. It looks like coach doesn’t get much input in personnel decisions, but you know the majority of blame will fall on him if our offense keeps looking like bull(bleep).

Speaking of which, the Bulls were 1st overall in drtg….but of course, we need to ACknowledge that it’s just preseason.

Incoming Kob death stare by Bron to Vogs in 3…2…

I’m in wait and see mode. Even if they made the moves i advocated for (Buddy/Mills) i don’t know how amazing we’d look in preseason. I had two major concerns coming in after we signed Westbrook:

1. Spacing
2. Vogel’s ability to make these guys work.

(1) is still a big question mark and may remain one until guys get healthy. As for (2)….gotta say i kinda like what I’m seeing? We’re clearly trying to solve the typical defensive tactic of going under screens on Russ (which teams did to us last year too with our weak shooting team and nobody able to shoot off curls, and we had no counter for). And In general we’re seeing more guys freed up with off ball screens where last year it was just Lebron Driving and Kicking. The execution hasn’t really been there since it is a new offense, but it is clearly an offense at least and not just Lebron/Westbrook Drive and Kick.

Russ still has a lot of bad habits i hope we can break (early shot clock jumpers, especially in transition, or just standing there when he doesn’t have the ball), and obviously the shots have to fall (always a big if with this team), but this won’t be a bottom 10 offense. I expect a top 10. Can it be a Top 5? That depends on the shooting and Russ changing his game. But Vogel for his part is doing more to put the team in a position to succeed then he has in previous years.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I can add more to this list around just general asset retention, however, I'll stick with the big ones.

Stephenson
Beasley
Drafting Ball
Waiving Deng a year before necessary for no reason.
Letting Randle walk for nothing.
Letting Brook leave for $3m a year.
Trading Zubac
Trez > Dwight (and the decision to hardcap the team was equally as bad)
Schroder (what would have happened if he signed the extension?)
Drummond
Gasol (it cost us 2 second picks - 1 to create room to sign him, 1 to dump his salary).
AC

I think we are going to see again this year the team fall way short because of roster decisions.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
I really hope that once the offense comes, it won’t be at the sacrifice of our defense.

As it stands, our personnel projects not to be a very good defensive unit. Furthermore, moving AD to 5 is primarily done for offensive purposes, but is making him more if a stretch/perimeter option really the most efficient way to go in getting buckets. Then looking at the other side of the ball, our perimeter defense will usually reroute everything towards AD as a rim protector. Is that really a good look when dude has injury concerns and is mobile enough to play opposing wings himself while being more of a weak side help defender.

I think it will ultimately come down to buy-in from the players. There is where I think they're banking on Vogel and their renewed focus on chemistry and sacrifice.

We certainly have the tools to have a strong 2-way closing lineup. Russ was once upon a time considered a defensive stalwart and Baze is giving us at least a poor man's impression of KCP. Ariza was always my pick to be that 5th closer but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he never played a minute for the team as it becomes more difficult to fully recover from surgery once you get up there in years. Ultimately will they need to bank on one of their young perimeter players shoring up their weaknesses or striking gold in the buyout market.

Here's a crazy thought though. With Rondo's 3 looking at least respectable dare I say, is he a break-glass option as the 5th closer?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

^PJ: yeah the offense remains tbd cause it looks like they’re running more sets offball when Bron/Russ do run the PnR with AD…so there is more motion and not just guys standing out there watching & waiting for a catch & shoot opportunity to develop.

But all that being said, I really hope it doesn’t cost us on the defensive end like AH alluded to. If there is more motion on offense with a largely veteran presence in personnel, then will they have the legs and give the extra effort on the other side of the ball?

TBD

EDIT: gng, totally agree with you with hoping the young pups hold it down during the regular season so that (playoff)Rondo has the legs to be one of our closers in the postseason.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I can add more to this list around just general asset retention, however, I'll stick with the big ones.

Stephenson
Beasley
Drafting Ball
Trading Zubac
Drummond
Gasol (it cost us 2 second picks - 1 to create room to sign him, 1 to dump his salary).
AC

I think we are going to see again this year the team fall way short because of roster decisions.

I'd say the majority of those decisions were under the Magic regime but Rob's definitely had his fair share of flops.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Stephenson
Beasley
Drafting Ball
Trading Zubac
Drummond
AC

I'd say the majority of those decisions were under the Magic regime but Rob's definitely had his fair share of flops.

Rob was still the GM. Maybe he had no say in any decisions. Who knows. I really don’t see Magic tho getting on the phone with Clippers and negotiating a Zubac trade.

Last year was 100% Rob and he made a lot of wrong decision.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
gng930 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Stephenson
Beasley
Drafting Ball
Trading Zubac
Drummond
AC

Rob was still the GM. Maybe he had no say in any decisions. Who knows. I really don’t see Magic tho getting on the phone with Clippers and negotiating a Zubac trade.

Last year was 100% Rob and he made a lot of wrong decision.

Exactly!

It’s a pretty lazy narrative tbh: with Magic gone, all is right in the land. They both had their ups and downs, but there has been one mainstay and if the trends of yesteryear rears it’s ugly head with the more recent transactions, then maybe all is not right after all.

Another great story is Magic was the one leaking everything and now the Lakers are an ironclad fortress. Really?! We knew all the details of the supposed Lowry trade and how we valued THT so much. We knew the particulars of the Hield trade before it became the Russ trade. There were all the painful details of promised starting positions to rejected ludicrously priced extensions.

But of course that stuff only leaked from the other side and not Rob, right? Well then maybe his dealings with the other side shouldn’t be so contentious as to having others want to leak info.

Anyways what’s done is done, so pivoting back to asset management and moving forward, we let younger assets in AC/Schro walk for nothing. But even examining the minutiae, why didn’t we earmark at least 925k of the mMLE to use on Reaves for an extra year if the object was to go younger. That was a big Dud in terms of managing a potential asset. It’s not like Nunn, needed that extra 35k as a klutch tax…at that point he wasn’t signed to Rich yet.

That being said, I like the Sekou move with our vacant 2-way after converting Reaves, but I would have also liked to have seen us go after another 2019 1st rounder as well.

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
The New York Knicks and former Spurs first-round pick Luka Samanic have agreed on a two-way contract, sources tell
@TheAthletic @Stadium

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

But was it Rob's decision, or did Dwight get confused, panicked and signed with Philly because he was being Dwight? If it was the latter, how is that on Rob?

This ish ain't slavery. The players have a say in it, too, and sometimes they do things contrary to what is in their best interests.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

Opened up a 2-way slot to add to that vacant 15th…

Quote:
Lakers have requested waivers on Joel Ayayi, Chaundee Brown Jr., Cameron Oliver and Trevelin Queen, it was announced today.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

But was it Rob's decision, or did Dwight get confused, panicked and signed with Philly because he was being Dwight? If it was the latter, how is that on Rob?

Rob/Lakers should have not permitted Dwight to be confused. They should have spelled out the situation in a way that left no one in doubt.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

Team waiving Ayayi, Oliver, Brown, and Queen...

Laker Twitter
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

If some team picks up Chaundee Brown, we are going to regret it.

That kid can play in this league.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
Lakers have requested waivers on Joel Ayayi, Chaundee Brown Jr., Cameron Oliver and Trevelin Queen, it was announced today.

So let me get this correctly
Reaves is regular min contract
Sekou is 1st 2-way
OPEN 2nd 2-way
McClung is exhibit-10 (whatever this is)

This it? We bringing in a 2nd 2-way?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Rob/Lakers should have not permitted Dwight to be confused. They should have spelled out the situation in a way that left no one in doubt.

You're just being obstinate. "We need to get the OK from Jeanie to go over budget and will get back to you in 48 hours" is about as clear as it gets.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

This ish ain't slavery. The players have a say in it, too, and sometimes they do things contrary to what is in their best interests.

I guess the answer is No, we can't find common ground and agree that this was not well played. If you can't even come that far, then there isn't much point to the discussion.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:

So let me get this correctly
Reaves is regular min contract
Sekou is 1st 2-way
OPEN 2nd 2-way
McClung is exhibit-10 (whatever this is)

This it? We bringing in a 2nd 2-way?

McClung likely goes to South Bay with Queen, Oliver & Brown. Ayayi can go to South Bay as well, but it was by design that he requested to go undrafted to get to us. So not sure if he’ll be in his feelings after we looked him over, but if it becomes a cash grab, any NBA team can scoop these dudes up to add to their standard 15 man roster. None of these guys can join another team’s Gleague affiliate unless South Bay trades/renounces their player rights.

We also made this cuts in advance of the 48hr waiver claim window…so if they clear waivers or another team claims them off if it, their exhibit 9/10 deals won’t count towards a tax hit by opening night.

2-way deals don’t count as a tax hit and we have one remaining to hand out where we can offer up to 462.5k guaranteed.

Reaves took up a 14th roster spot on a 2yr rookie min deal. Had we waited till Oct 26th, we could have signed him to a 3yr min deal using the left over 890k from our mMLE. That amount is still in play for a potential 15th roster add tho….however it looks like we’ll wait till buyoutSZN (late Feb) to use that 15th roster spot.

Remember, even if the 15th spot is used on a nonguaranteed deal by opening night, we still pay that player for the days of service they provide along with the associated prorated tax hit. So even tho nonguaranteed deals do not become guaranteed till Jan 10, a 3.25 tax rate will apply towards every day that a nonguaranteed player (on a 1.67m prorated cap hit) remains on our roster. There are 80 days of potential service a player can provide till Jan 10th. So hypothetically, if we sign a nonguaranteed guy to the 15th slot right now and waive him by Jan 7th (so he can clear waivers by Jan 10th), it will count as 2.5m in a tax hit + 768k (of the 1.67m vet min) for the 80 days of service before getting waived.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

You're just being obstinate. "We need to get the OK from Jeanie to go over budget and will get back to you in 48 hours" is about as clear as it gets.

Okay but why even get to that point? Trez was an awful decision. Anybody could have seen Trez wasnt going to fit in with Vogels defensive system. And then we gave him the MLE? Prioritizing dwight who helped us win a chip should have been dealt with way before talking MLE for Trez.

Im of the mind that signing Schroder wasnt a mistake. He was largely seen as an upgrade to DG when we signed him. However offering him that ridiculous contract mid season after his mediocre play was a huge mistake that by some miracle Rob doesnt have to see the consequences of. After he turned it down we shouldve tried moving him mid season for anything of value. I dont blame Rob during the past offseason because DS's value was in the negatives; but there were things he did before it got to that point that were not great GMing.

And then letting Caruso walk for pennies is the biggest whiff especially when our defense has looked atrocious in the preseason.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

What you're describing is poor management of the situation.

The Lakers had all the time in the world to work out every possible scenario and decide how they were going to handle it.

They shouldn't have needed to tell Dwight to wait for 48 hours while they decided what they were going to do. That should have already been figured out.

They bungled it.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

What you're describing is poor management of the situation.

The Lakers had all the time in the world to work out every possible scenario and decide how they were going to handle it.

They shouldn't have needed to tell Dwight to wait for 48 hours while they decided what they were going to do. That should have already been figured out.

They bungled it.

Asking Dwight to wait 48 hours is biggest joke. Dude was looking for vet minimum. All off season Front Office said signing Dwight was of highest priority. when time comes, you need 48 hours to sign him for minimum. ?

wowwww
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7045, 7046, 7047 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7046 of 8560
Jump to: