Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-attorneys-spar-over-ex-160455542.html

3:15 p.m.

A defense attorney for a former Dallas police officer accused of fatally shooting a man who she wrongly believed was in her own apartment says the identical look of the apartment complex from floor to floor often led to confusion among tenants.

Amber Guyger's attorney, Robert Rogers, during opening statements of her murder trial Monday said dozens of people living at the complex reported regularly parking on the wrong floor or attempting to enter the wrong apartment.

Rogers says the floors of the parking garage were not clearly marked so it was understandable when Guyger, tired from a long shift, in September 2018 pushed open a door and believed an intruder was inside.

Authorities say Guyger shot Botham Jean as the 26-year-old Jean was inside his own apartment.

Guyger later was fired from the Dallas police force.

___

1:40 p.m.

A prosecutor has told jurors that former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was careless and distracted when she entered her neighbor's apartment and fatally shot him.

Guyger's trial began Monday for the September 2018 fatal shooting of Botham Jean, who went by the nickname "Bo." The court didn't release demographic details about the jurors, the vast majority of whom appeared to be women and people of color.

Dallas County assistant district attorney Jason Hermus called Jean "a wonderful, decent, kind man" and said that he was eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream when Guyger entered his apartment.

Hermus told jurors that Guyger had worked a long day but that it was primarily office work. He suggested that Guyger became upset and distracted by a phone call with a colleague with whom she had been romantically involved. He said there is no evidence that Jean ever posed a threat to Guyger.

Guyger's attorney will present an opening statement later Monday.

___

11:04 a.m.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys in the trial of a former Dallas police officer who shot and killed her neighbor spent Monday morning arguing over whether material from her cell phone could be admitted as evidence.

A prosecutor said Amber Guyger's cellphone messages on the day that she shot and killed Botham Jean included sexually explicit exchanges with her partner from the Dallas Police Department. The prosecutor said Guyger's partner would testify in the trial.

Prosecutors argue that the messages were relevant to showing Guyger's mental state before and after the shooting, while the defense argued that the material was not relevant and could be prejudicial.

The judge is expected to rule on the issue before opening arguments begin later Monday.

___

12:05 a.m.

Opening statements are set to begin in the murder trial of a white police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man in his Dallas apartment

Amber Guyger is expected in a Dallas court Monday morning, where she will stand trial for the killing of 26-year-old Botham Jean last year.

The case has attracted intense national scrutiny for its strange circumstances and as one in a chain of shootings of black men by white police officers. Guyger was fired after Jean's death.

Lawyers for Guyger are likely to argue she fired in self-defense based on the mistaken belief that she was in her own apartment and Jean was a burglar.

A jury will decide whether 31-year-old Guyger committed murder, a lesser offense such as manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide, or no crime at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I think that the prosecution is going to suggest what I've been saying from page 1 of this thread: That it wasn't an accident at all that she was in Jean's apartment that night.

Refresh our recollection with this theory again?

(It's been a while, and I totally forgot about this trial).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

IIRC she previously approached James about noise from his apartment annoying her.

Having been a jury foreman in the past, if the judge's instructions are followed it's a toss up. He will probably instruct to judge the case on evidence not one's personal beliefs.

Attorney's will be of utmost importance. If the prosecution is of Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden ilk it could be interesting. I have a feeling the race card will be played. Also jury selection will play a important part.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I think that the prosecution is going to suggest what I've been saying from page 1 of this thread: That it wasn't an accident at all that she was in Jean's apartment that night.

That there was relationship of some sort between the two of them. Maybe the prosecution isn't going that way, and maybe I'm just cynical.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That there was relationship of some sort between the two of them. Maybe the prosecution isn't going that way, and maybe I'm just cynical.

Interesting that it seems the prosecution is going with the distracted lover text angle. I would think that if you walked into someone else's apartment, and I'm fairly certain Jean's apartment did not smell anything like her apartment, that she would have realized it was not her room.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Interesting that it seems the prosecution is going with the distracted lover text angle. I would think that if you walked into someone else's apartment, and I'm fairly certain Jean's apartment did not smell anything like her apartment, that she would have realized it was not her room.

Prosecution in on the fix?
I don't like this angle.. They dolled her up for cameras and now say that it was a careless bimbo mistake.. not Murder

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=amber+guyger+previous+social+media+posts

‘Short-tempered’ Amber Guyger shared posts likening Colin Kaepernick to cancer and memes saying people were ‘ungrateful she didn’t kill them

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/short-tempered-amber-guyger-shared-posts-likening-colin-kaepernick-to-cancer-and-memes-saying-people-were-ungrateful-she-didnt-kill-them/

Quote:
"I wear all black to remind you not to mess with me
Because I'm already dressed for your funeral"

"People are so Ungrateful
No one ever thanks me for having the patience not to kill them"
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

yeah the prosecution has framed up a very weak foundation.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Always beware of trial coverage filtered through the media. It is better to focus on the specific facts than to speculate about trial strategy. The media often does a terrible job of conveying the essence of opening arguments and the like. I know this from firsthand experience.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

More coverage:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/2019/09/24/jurors-in-amber-guyger-s-murder-trial-watch-officers-desperate-efforts-to-revive-botham-jean/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
More coverage:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/2019/09/24/jurors-in-amber-guyger-s-murder-trial-watch-officers-desperate-efforts-to-revive-botham-jean/

This case still baffles me. I saw the body cam footage this morning on the news....how did the responding officers or EMT's know his name when they arrived? They are saying his name trying to get him to respond.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

They should show us what the inside of her apartment looked like

And this covers the noise complaint
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/09/19/why-apartment-managers-really-visited-botham-jean-s-home-before-he-was-killed-by-amber-guyger/
Quote:
Like law enforcement, Merritt has previously said there was a noise complaint about Jean's apartment the day he was shot. But Merritt said Wednesday that he learned that was not true.

Merritt said there hadn't been a noise complaint against Jean in the two months Guyger had lived in the building.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

More:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/2019/09/25/video-showing-lifesaving-efforts-shocks-botham-jean-s-family-at-amber-guyger-s-murder-trial/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
More:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/2019/09/25/video-showing-lifesaving-efforts-shocks-botham-jean-s-family-at-amber-guyger-s-murder-trial/

Quote:
But state District Judge Tammy Kemp asked to replay the footage Wednesday, sending the jury out of the room. The defense wanted to question a Texas Ranger about the location of Jean’s shoes on the floor and ask where he was when he was shot.

Judge not liking something he sees in the police reports regarding where he was when first shot? Did he not read the police reports?

This (bleep) is dehumanizing.. whoever the judge was should have done this in private council unless they want the jury to really see/focus that a man died at the hands of this crazy woman?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

Someone send the Costco verdict to this chicks lawyers

Use "The Salvador Sanchez" defense

That (bleep) should get anyone off the hook.
Anyone incarcerated should see if it could help them get early parole too
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

She was afraid for her life?

What about Botham Jean, in his own house, seeing a person come in yelling at him and then firing a gun at him?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
All Things CBS47

@AllThingsCBS47
20m

Amber Guyger trial: Botham Jean was bent over or lying on back when shot, medical examiner testifies

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
All Things CBS47

@AllThingsCBS47
20m

Amber Guyger trial: Botham Jean was bent over or lying on back when shot, medical examiner testifies

He was black so he was extra scary even if sitting down and asking the armed intruder why they are shooting him

What a crazy state and state of affairs

I think the sexting partner needs to be called in as a character witness.. Get him to take an oath and talk about anything she may have ever said about her neighbor
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Today’s summary.

Link
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
She was afraid for her life?

What about Botham Jean, in his own house, seeing a person come in yelling at him and then firing a gun at him?

While eating a bowl of ice cream.

This jury needs to do the right thing, at the very least this has to be a manslaughter conviction.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/30/jury-consider-castle-doctrine-amber-guyger-murder-trial/

Quote:
Judge Rules Jury Can Consider Castle Doctrine In Amber Guyger Murder Trial

How the hell can they even apply this to this case?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/30/jury-consider-castle-doctrine-amber-guyger-murder-trial/

Quote:

OMG.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Quote:

I guess the argument would be that she was acting under a mistake of fact and believed it was her “castle.” I don’t think it will make a difference.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Today’s Summary
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Quote:

I guess the argument would be that she was acting under a mistake of fact and believed it was her “castle.” I don’t think it will make a difference.

AH what’s your prediction?

I think they will downgrade to manslaughter.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AH what’s your prediction?

I think they will downgrade to manslaughter.

Same. I have a hard time imagining an acquittal, but I guess it’s possible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11
Jump to: