D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

What DLO did tonight was straight up next level.

He played great to give them the big lead.
Then it seemed like Kemba was going to take the game, and then DLO just went head to head with Kemba.
Took the game over and won the damn thing.

Up until this point, I have been really happy for DLO. But today, it really hurt that he wasnt in the Purple and Gold.
He is starting to show that he can keep going to another gear in a way that only the special few can.

Beginning of the year, it was arguable whether Caris, DLO or others should get the ball at the end; but tonight there was no question.
He is the man for his team, and its not even close.

Amazing!
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

It's easy to say now that we should've traded for PG then. Benefit of hindsight...but there's a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread about it being such an obvious move at the time that the FO whiffed on. Most people were onboard with waiting and preserving assets (same with Kawhi, and same with AD now) because of how much PG indicated he wanted to be a Laker. It actually made even more sense with him to wait than the other guys who have demanded trades since, because of how how vocal he was about coming here. But it's just our luck that he was traded to the one team equipped to apparently give him everything he was looking for in a franchise, and they won him over with Maginka being left in the dust. It is what it is, time to move on.

It's also up in the air as to whether Indy would've even dealt him here with the way Pritchard approached those negotiations and the tampering accusations from Indy. I mean haven't you guys learned your lesson yet from the Spurs and Pelicans' situations? Teams aren't just going to airmail stars here for anything less than fair value, and most likely will ask for more than that. Get used to it. #2 AND BI was probably going to be what it took, ultimately.

Now I WILL hold the FO accountable for the way they've presented themselves to the rest of the league, and how cocky they were about being able to eventually get PG. It seems like they almost took him from granted and focused more on Lebron. That certainly didn't help us, and who knows if PG himself took that the wrong way when he had OKC in his ear all year long.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Eh. There's a world where at least LBJ/DLO/cap space is very real. But we didn't know how to develop DLO. I just find it strange that even today, folks are still seeking to delegitimize him. Strange.

How do we get the cap space in that scenario and would it be in 2018? Offload Moz with another asset or stretch him?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
It's easy to say now that we should've traded for PG then. Benefit of hindsight...but there's a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread about it being such an obvious move at the time that the FO whiffed on. Most people were onboard with waiting and preserving assets (same with Kawhi, and same with AD now) because of how much PG indicated he wanted to be a Laker. It actually made even more sense with him to wait than the other guys who have demanded trades since, because of how how vocal he was about coming here. But it's just our luck that he was traded to the one team equipped to apparently give him everything he was looking for in a franchise, and they won him over with Maginka being left in the dust. It is what it is, time to move on.

It's also up in the air as to whether Indy would've even dealt him here with the way Pritchard approached those negotiations and the tampering accusations from Indy. I mean haven't you guys learned your lesson yet from the Spurs and Pelicans' situations? Teams aren't just going to airmail stars here for anything less than fair value, and most likely will ask for more than that. Get used to it. #2 AND BI was probably going to be what it took, ultimately.

Now I WILL hold the FO accountable for the way they've presented themselves to the rest of the league, and how cocky they were about being able to eventually get PG. It seems like they almost took him from granted and focused more on Lebron. That certainly didn't help us, and who knows if PG himself took that the wrong way when he had OKC in his ear all year long.

But they didn't wait, they traded Russell (an obvious asset) with Mozgov as a threat to Pritchard before the draft and then Pritchard called their bluff. They didn't need to create an open max slot at that point, but did so to 1) jettison DLo out of Magic's orbit, and 2) to show Indy that they had the cap space to sign George the next summer so "you better trade him to us now." The DLo trade was mostly a dumb leverage ploy that backfired.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Highlights:

"This guy's a killer!"
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

But they didn't wait, they traded Russell (an obvious asset) with Mozgov as a threat to Pritchard before the draft and then Pritchard called their bluff. They didn't need to create an open max slot at that point, but did so to 1) jettison DLo out of Magic's orbit, and 2) to show Indy that they had the cap space to sign George the next summer so "you better trade him to us now." The DLo trade was mostly a dumb leverage ploy that backfired.

Might as well have a furniture in FO instead of Pelinka. Either he has no say or is as silly as his stories. Magic has charisma, but lacks several aspects a modern day GM like Sean Marks have.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Dlo trade was dumb and clearly backfired, no arguing that. But I personally separate that move from how they dealt with the PG situation. As far as PG is concerned in a vacuum, I think they handled it appropriately, didn't want to play Pritchard's game at all as far as negotiating a trade (opposite of how they got baited by the Pels recently), and positioned themselves to sign both Lebron and PG outright the next summer. But you can have at it with regards to HOW they positioned themselves in that cap situation, because I'm right there with you.

We could've gotten the two max slots without burning a premium asset (perhaps wouldn't have even needed to unload Moz at all, if they waited long enough to get to the realization that PG wasn't coming, whenever that was). And that way even if you whiff on PG in free agency the next year, which probably still happens with all he's said about OKC's role in wooing him, you still have Dlo in your back pocket at the end of the day. Essentially, they made the right decision to not trade for PG, but they foolishly went all in (a year early!) without hedging against that bet. You can't count on something 100% happening a year from now, no matter how many positive indications you're getting, and they miscalculated big time on that while also openly broadcasting this to the entire league.

Oh, and now Dlo's an All-Star, PG is still in OKC, we're out of the playoffs, and are now making the same desperate attempts to trade for a star that we smartly avoided back then. Yikes.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

You reap what you sow.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Well at least D'Lo, Randle and Ivica got out of purgatory.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Dude's hitting break-rhythm 3's.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
All Mitch picks. Guy was a great evaluator of young talent.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Highlights:

"This guy's a killer!"
Ice. Kid has the clutch gene.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject:

DLO up to 4.9 FTA per game in the month of February (his season average is 2.4). Really noticeable how he's getting better at drawing and selling contact. Still not getting the respect from the refs on some of his drives, but it'll come in time
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Highlights from the Nets broadcast that had some stuff that was missing from the Dawkins one:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Yup! I’m honestly happy for them. We would have ruined their careers here with our inept FO & ownership
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I can blame them, it was a horrible rookie move to think that they had George locked up. You gladly give up Ingram or Ball for George. The guy is in the MVP discussion and I doubt that we ever say that about Ingram or Ball. The FO screwed up big time after all the tampering charges/fines and then to whiff on PG. They are too egotistical to realize that they should be embarrassed.

I think it’s hindsight. Ingram and Ball both at that time had a lot of value. For both guys, potential was seen to be sky high.

Still think their potential is high.

Majority of people wanted to stay pat.

But I know you despise this FO, so we’ll ageee to disagree on this one.

No it isn’t, I was very vocal on that at the time. Poor decision. And I don’t despise the FO, I just recognize their inexperience.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject:

Cold blooded killer
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
DLO up to 4.9 FTA per game in the month of February (his season average is 2.4). Really noticeable how he's getting better at drawing and selling contact. Still not getting the respect from the refs on some of his drives, but it'll come in time

Once DLO improves in that department, the league better watchout....
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Dlo trade was dumb and clearly backfired, no arguing that. But I personally separate that move from how they dealt with the PG situation. As far as PG is concerned in a vacuum, I think they handled it appropriately, didn't want to play Pritchard's game at all as far as negotiating a trade (opposite of how they got baited by the Pels recently), and positioned themselves to sign both Lebron and PG outright the next summer. But you can have at it with regards to HOW they positioned themselves in that cap situation, because I'm right there with you.

We could've gotten the two max slots without burning a premium asset (perhaps wouldn't have even needed to unload Moz at all, if they waited long enough to get to the realization that PG wasn't coming, whenever that was). And that way even if you whiff on PG in free agency the next year, which probably still happens with all he's said about OKC's role in wooing him, you still have Dlo in your back pocket at the end of the day. Essentially, they made the right decision to not trade for PG, but they foolishly went all in (a year early!) without hedging against that bet. You can't count on something 100% happening a year from now, no matter how many positive indications you're getting, and they miscalculated big time on that while also openly broadcasting this to the entire league.

Oh, and now Dlo's an All-Star, PG is still in OKC, we're out of the playoffs, and are now making the same desperate attempts to trade for a star that we smartly avoided back then. Yikes.

I think you're underestimating how close guys at the same agency often are. I don't think most people realize that that's a thing.

The Lakers screwed around with D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle (both Aaron Mintz clients), and Paul George went from being a sure thing to the Lakers not even being able to get a meeting with him. I don't view that as unrelated at all.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

I think you're underestimating how close guys at the same agency often are. I don't think most people realize that that's a thing.

The Lakers screwed around with D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle (both Aaron Mintz clients), and Paul George went from being a sure thing to the Lakers not even being able to get a meeting with him. I don't view that as unrelated at all.

You'd think Pelinka, being a former agent, would know this.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

Scoring the last 12 points to lead your team to a win? #MambaMentality
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Yes...thank you Mozgov!!
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell’s last 10 games:

- 40 & 7
- 14 & 8
- 36 & 8
- 28 & 14
- 23 & 6
- 27 & 11
- 18 & 5
- 23 & 6
- 25 & 9
- 30 & 7

... 26.4 points and 8 assists.

https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/1099699239423262720?s=19
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
D’Angelo Russell’s last 10 games:

- 40 & 7
- 14 & 8
- 36 & 8
- 28 & 14
- 23 & 6
- 27 & 11
- 18 & 5
- 23 & 6
- 25 & 9
- 30 & 7

... 26.4 points and 8 assists.

https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/1099699239423262720?s=19

He's so good. smh
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

That being said, it will be interesting to see how Coach Atkinson plays all his point guards next season when healthy.

DLO
Caris
Spencer Dinwiddie
Napier
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 61 of 100
Jump to: