Kroger to ban visa credit/debit cards at some stores

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Kroger to ban visa credit/debit cards at some stores

https://news.yahoo.com/kroger-ban-visa-credit-cards-154706932.html
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Kroger to ban visa credit/debit cards at some stores

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Even for an operation like Sports Business Classroom, credit card fees are a big line item on the budget (for example, bigger than staff travel and marketing). I know they vary from merchant to merchant, but for us Visa is tied for lowest (1.67%, plus 20c per transaction). AMEX is the big one for us, at 2.75%.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

This isn't really brand new info. I used to have a Kroger Visa Credit card then was notified they were switching to Master Card since they were no longer accepting Visa.

That was well over a year ago.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

AMEX have usually been the highest for merchants. I don't have a Kroger near me though, so NBD.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
AMEX have usually been the highest for merchants. I don't have a Kroger near me though, so NBD.

They own a bunch of other supermarket chains so chances are there is one near you. My guess is that they are testing this at one chain and if its successful it will spread to their other chain of supermarkets.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Vons and Albertson's are both Kroger right? The weekly ads I get from them are identical.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Albertson's is a different chain....they own Vons.
Kroger owns grocery stores like Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Food 4 Less, Frys foods, etc.
The reason why a lot of those grocery stores didn't rebrand was that they were region specific and they had a lot of loyalty from customers where they started from.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kroger to ban visa credit/debit cards at some stores

LarryCoon wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Even for an operation like Sports Business Classroom, credit card fees are a big line item on the budget (for example, bigger than staff travel and marketing). I know they vary from merchant to merchant, but for us Visa is tied for lowest (1.67%, plus 20c per transaction). AMEX is the big one for us, at 2.75%.

fwiw, those are pretty good rates that your merchant service provider is giving you based on what I assume is a small number of transactions (relatively speaking compared to a retail outlet doing business 7 days a week). Pay attention to your Discover card rate....some providers price it similar to Visa/MasterCard while some price it at a rate near or in the direction of AMEX. It should be closer to Visa/MC than Amex. Discover usually has the lowest volume, and for that reason many merchant service providers do not advertise it and know many clients will not focus on the rate.....which can allow the provider to make up margins on charging a higher than normal rate.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

I have a hard time believing this is a smart move by Krogers.....Visa dominates the credit card landscape. Kroger and all grocery chains are getting pressure put on them via pricing by Wal Mart...and via experience by newer entries into the market. Losing customers who desire to use their Visa card feels shortsighted. Also, that industry is known for having a difficult time regaining a customers business once lost.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject:

Our King Soopers here recently did renovations

Cameras all over and lcd screens recording your face at self checkout

Like a prison facility. It's creepy but I got over it

Life in the camera age

Some memories of first Los Angeles trip as an adult

Bulletproof Taco Bell drive thru
Bulletproof glass in Vons covering the US Bank in the store
Bars on windows everywhere
Staples Center area at night is a shantytown filled with crackheads, hookers and cops
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

i find this odd since a lot of people don't carry much cash anymore.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kroger to ban visa credit/debit cards at some stores

adkindo wrote:
fwiw, those are pretty good rates that your merchant service provider is giving you based on what I assume is a small number of transactions (relatively speaking compared to a retail outlet doing business 7 days a week). Pay attention to your Discover card rate....some providers price it similar to Visa/MasterCard while some price it at a rate near or in the direction of AMEX. It should be closer to Visa/MC than Amex. Discover usually has the lowest volume, and for that reason many merchant service providers do not advertise it and know many clients will not focus on the rate.....which can allow the provider to make up margins on charging a higher than normal rate.

Discover, Visa & MC all cost us 1.67%. I do have a little weight behind me, since the same system is also used for all of NBA Summer League and Global Camp. But yeah, those are still small beans compared to a big retailer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Well as long as I can use my Amex Blue Cash Preferred for my grocery store purchases for 6% cash back Im good
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone ever carry a Diners Club Card? The original version which did not have a MasterCard or Discover logo. I recall my second professional job, they issued me a Diners Club Card for my expenses.....I did not even know what it was at the time, and my previous firm issued AMEX cards for expenses. It was in the final days of Diners Club standing alone as a charge card, but I never had an issue with hotels, gas and restaurants the short time I carried it. Within a year or two, the firm switched over to AMEX.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: