Official Tennis Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
Djoker LOVES Mamba Mentality. Honoring Kobe when he won his 24th slam!!

Did you guys see that wonder t-shirt he put on after he won?

https://twitter.com/TheTennisLetter/status/1701018915110056100?s=20

Where can I get that t-shirt? I want it!!!!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Guy nearly had a calendar year grand slam at 36, 12 years after almost doing it the first time. Oldest US Open champion in modern era.

Wins 3 Slams at 36 and in the one he didn't win, he lost in the Final to the up-and-coming next big thing who has already won 2 Slams. What a year for him.

Oh, and between him "hanging up the phone" on Shelton and with the Kobe stuff, he's trying to make me a fan again. Son of a...
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I was on the road the whole day, so I didn't watch it.

His accomplishments are unprecedented, there's no doubt about it. But it doesn't make his style of play aesthetically pleasing. Let me guess, a bunch of long rallies with a both guys grunting and then Medvedev makes a mistake? Meh.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I was on the road the whole day, so I didn't watch it.

His accomplishments are unprecedented, there's no doubt about it. But it doesn't make his style of play aesthetically pleasing. Let me guess, a bunch of long rallies with a both guys grunting and then Medvedev makes a mistake? Meh.

There was actually a lot of serve and volley in this match.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?

If I had to guess it’s about his vaccination stance. But as far as I can tell, he never told anyone to not get vaccinated, didn’t blast it on social media, and he paid the price for his own decision by missing slams and masters that he was a heavy favorite at.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?

If I had to guess it’s about his vaccination stance. But as far as I can tell, he never told anyone to not get vaccinated, didn’t blast it on social media, and he paid the price for his own decision by missing slams and masters that he was a heavy favorite at.

Yeah, I was wondering if he's barfing on Kobe, or on the thought of Djokovic honoring Kobe...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?

Well, he did kind of make himself into a martyr of sorts when he railed against how "unfair" it was for Australia to deport him before the AO, for the US Open to keep him out, etc. Even though I think not getting the vaccine wasn't a smart decision for anyone to make in general (assuming no pre-existing conditions where a doctor would flat-out tell a person not to get the vaccine), of course I agree that no one can force a person to take it. So he had that right. However, to then act like there weren't consequences for said decision was crap. He made his own bed, and it wasn't the world conspiring against him or some BS narrative like that. So that really turned me off Djoker and I'm sure it was the same for many others. I had no ill will towards him before. It's not like he's a truly despicable human being like Donald Trump or something. He's done a lot of wonderful things for people apart from his accomplishments on the tennis court, and I think that for a long time he longed for the public's approval and since he simply never got it like Federer and Nadal did, he was put in a tough spot, in a way. Anyway, I don't think he's a horrible human being, and I do think that plenty of players like him in the locker room. I just think he's done some dumb things and isn't exactly Phi Beta Kappa, as Chick used to say.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?

Well, he did kind of make himself into a martyr of sorts when he railed against how "unfair" it was for Australia to deport him before the AO, for the US Open to keep him out, etc. Even though I think not getting the vaccine wasn't a smart decision for anyone to make in general (assuming no pre-existing conditions where a doctor would flat-out tell a person not to get the vaccine), of course I agree that no one can force a person to take it. So he had that right. However, to then act like there weren't consequences for said decision was crap. He made his own bed, and it wasn't the world conspiring against him or some BS narrative like that. So that really turned me off Djoker and I'm sure it was the same for many others. I had no ill will towards him before. It's not like he's a truly despicable human being like Donald Trump or something. He's done a lot of wonderful things for people apart from his accomplishments on the tennis court, and I think that for a long time he longed for the public's approval and since he simply never got it like Federer and Nadal did, he was put in a tough spot, in a way. Anyway, I don't think he's a horrible human being, and I do think that plenty of players like him in the locker room. I just think he's done some dumb things and isn't exactly Phi Beta Kappa, as Chick used to say.

Yeah, everyone has a right to their opinion.

I don't get what's the turnoff from him honoring Kobe.

Whether you like Djoker or not, isn't honoring Kobe a good thing that should transcend one's personal feelings about Djoker?
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Keep your politics out of it man
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?

Part of the martyrdom narrative was driven by Serbian political leaders and media and he, unfortunately, bought into it, after not being involved in politics or controversial issues for much of his career.

Heck, yesterday after the win he said that if he wasn't from Serbia people would universally consider him the greatest ATHLETE of all time, not just tennis player.

While there may be a point that an athlete from a smaller nation is not as celebrated than an athlete from, say, the United States, that martyrdom angle that he uses has an ugly history. Essentially, most Serbs think that the West did them wrong by blaming them for starting the Yugoslav wars and then bombing their country for initiating a possible genocide in Kosovo in 1999. So there is an anti-West sentiment, pro-Russia sentiment, and Djokovic was caught up in some of that due to the vaccine issue. He could have handled that so much better, but he did the usual "the West is against us, it's not fair" nonsense that Serbian political leaders have done for the last 30 years.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject:

If you look at it from a titles standpoint Novak is the greatest singles tennis player. I guess for some people that is too much to take as they probably idolized other tennis players from their country. He surpassed both Nadal and Federer on the title count so that isn't even an argument anymore. And he's not retired and will probably play a couple more years. So all he is doing is adding to his title count now and increasing the gap. And then theres the off the court stuff things that some people don't agree with him on and you can see why they see him as some sort of villain they can root against.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?

That's certainly part of it, and he wasn't nearly as gracious about it all as you describe. He didn't quietly accept the consequences. He fought back hard and actually lied in an attempt to appeal the restrictions placed on his paerticpation. And while he may not have gone to Aaron Rodgers/Joe Rogan levels of blasting vaccines on social media, he did make many public comments incorrectly condemning vaccines.

I've also long since come to have huge distaste for him over the years for other reasons that were perfectly summed up to his reaction after his win over Shelton. Djoker has done plenty of his own cocky posturing during matches since he started, so his BS gesture and lack of grace at the end were the epitome of hypocrisy.

So yeah, I'd prefer people like him would not chose to bring Kobe in to association with them. It's certainly with in their right to do so, but I find it gross.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Keep your politics out of it man

What does it have to do with politics?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
So yeah, I'd prefer people like him would not chose to bring Kobe in to association with them. It's certainly with in their right to do so, but I find it gross.

Grossed out by someone showing respect to Kobe…

I wonder if Vanessa Bryant was grossed out as well.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I just think he's done some dumb things and isn't exactly Phi Beta Kappa, as Chick used to say.

We knew that when he had Pepe Imaz as part of his crew for that period of time when it looked like he was never going to win again
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject:

What many people in the West don't know is that Djokovic regularly goes to a fake pyramid in Bosnia and talks to a fake archeologist there to take advantage of some magnetic healing powers for his body from that place. It's all a bunch of nonsense but Djokovic apparently believes in it, and he also used it as a contrast to the imposed vaccine mandates.

He's a weird dude. Maybe not a bad person, but weird.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Optics. To each his/her own. I don't like the optics of Deion Sanders coaching and starting his sons. Not saying it's wrong, sighting optics.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
What many people in the West don't know is that Djokovic regularly goes to a fake pyramid in Bosnia and talks to a fake archeologist there to take advantage of some magnetic healing powers for his body from that place. It's all a bunch of nonsense but Djokovic apparently believes in it, and he also used it as a contrast to the imposed vaccine mandates.

The thing about the decision not to vaccinate is that the decision has ramifications for others around you, in the case of COVID, they can be deadly. It's not just weird, it's dangerous.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Optics. To each his/her own. I don't like the optics of Deion Sanders coaching and starting his sons. Not saying it's wrong, sighting optics.

Yup, but also, would you have a problem if Deion decided to honor and pay respects to Kobe?

I mean, one should be able to separate the 2?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

The thing about the decision not to vaccinate is that the decision has ramifications for others around you, in the case of COVID, they can be deadly. It's not just weird, it's dangerous.

Still don't understand why a person who decides to not get vaccinated can't pay respect to Kobe......

Or why such a person paying respect to Kobe becomes gross.

Here's some other charitable things Djokovic has done:

Quote:
The 20-time Grand Slam winner then donated 1 million Swiss Francs ($1.2 million) for coronavirus relief efforts in Switzerland. The former World No. 1 player additionally made a donation of US$1 million to provide meals for young children and their families in Africa in wake of the crisis.

Does this gross you out as well?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

?

Part of the martyrdom narrative was driven by Serbian political leaders and media and he, unfortunately, bought into it, after not being involved in politics or controversial issues for much of his career.

Heck, yesterday after the win he said that if he wasn't from Serbia people would universally consider him the greatest ATHLETE of all time, not just tennis player.

While there may be a point that an athlete from a smaller nation is not as celebrated than an athlete from, say, the United States, that martyrdom angle that he uses has an ugly history. Essentially, most Serbs think that the West did them wrong by blaming them for starting the Yugoslav wars and then bombing their country for initiating a possible genocide in Kosovo in 1999. So there is an anti-West sentiment, pro-Russia sentiment, and Djokovic was caught up in some of that due to the vaccine issue. He could have handled that so much better, but he did the usual "the West is against us, it's not fair" nonsense that Serbian political leaders have done for the last 30 years.

Great perspective, thank you.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yup, but also, would you have a problem if Deion decided to honor and pay respects to Kobe?

No, I wouldn't have a problem if Deion honored Kobe. I don't have a problem with Djokovic honoring him. DMR has his reasons for feeling the way he does and I respect them. Agree or disagree, I respect his reasons.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

No, I wouldn't have a problem if Deion honored Kobe. I don't have a problem with Djokovic honoring him. DMR has his reasons for feeling the way he does and I respect them. Agree or disagree, I respect his reasons.

Everybody has reasons....

I'm just trying to understand why honoring Kobe grosses out a person.

Seemed like a very respectful gesture to honor a fallen hero...

What's gross about that?

I wish more people would honor Kobe, even the people I don't like...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23
Jump to: