Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Horrible films and have gutted the franchise to near irrelevancy now. All that defense of TLJ and they absolutely went to town trying to retcon that wreck but unfortunately you gave the reins back to Abrams who really can't end anything well. Visually amazing even if it makes no damn sense (LOL horses on a Star Destroyer hull). The cultural cache is been set back worse than the prequels could ever imagine and I'd reckon it'll be awhile before Disney tries to go hard with the brand in movies for awhile.

I read the CRAP out of the EU and even the worst of that (and there were some stinkers) didn't hurt the characterizations or overall vibe like these films have done.

Should've just swallowed pride and made the Thrawn trilogy.

The only slimmer of hope that remains is the Mandalorian.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I read the CRAP out of the EU and even the worst of that (and there were some stinkers) didn't hurt the characterizations or overall vibe like these films have done.

Yes, I agree that the EU was a better storyline, but it was not possible to turn the EU into movies without recasting the leads.

As I’ve thought about this over the last few days, Scorsese’s comment about how superhero movies are theme parks has struck me as relevant. As I think back on The Last Jedi, I enjoyed it for the spectacle, not the plot line or character development. The plot line in the first three movies, while not anything profound, was a lot more enjoyable.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I agree that the EU was a better storyline, but it was not possible to turn the EU into movies without recasting the leads.

As I’ve thought about this over the last few days, Scorsese’s comment about how superhero movies are theme parks has struck me as relevant. As I think back on The Last Jedi, I enjoyed it for the spectacle, not the plot line or character development. The plot line in the first three movies, while not anything profound, was a lot more enjoyable.

I continue to feel like I saw a different movie.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

All good. I feel the same way when I hear people trashing the prequels and rotj.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

All good. I feel the same way when I hear people trashing the prequels and rotj.

Dave filoni filled in the holes for all those movies. I kind of expect he is going to do the same thing here with the animation and the mandalorian
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

I always appreciate your opinion and insights so I genuinely would love to know what you liked about ep 8/why you liked it in general. I'm going to re-watch sometime in the near future so a new perspective might change how much I enjoy it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

I always appreciate your opinion and insights so I genuinely would love to know what you liked about ep 8/why you liked it in general. I'm going to re-watch sometime in the near future so a new perspective might change how much I enjoy it.

It has been a while since I watched it but I thought it was exciting, moving, and more thematically rich than its predecessors while beautifully subverting our expectations. It refocused the old characters while connecting them thematically with the new ones. In a nutshell, what I loved about it seems to be what everyone else hated about it. I think it is extraordinarily misunderstood by fans who were too invested in their own expectations or disliked it for much uglier reasons. It’s a beautiful story from top to bottom. I hope the next chapter can be half as good.

I can’t logic anyone into liking a movie they didn’t like, and I do think people have a right to want a different kind of Star Wars movie than the one they got. I get why Canto Bight doesn’t work for people. It’s in service of story and character arc and follows two people they probably didn’t feel like spending a lot of time with. I get why Luke throwing his lightsaber over his shoulder infuriates people, even if I think they’re badly missing out on a terrific story arc. For me, all of these arcs tracked with each other with the two main themes of the film in addition to having some of the coolest action set pieces the franchise has had. To me that’s a great success. The Force Awakens was pretty shallow in this regard. For me that felt like one of those tribute bands that people swear sound just like the real thing. There wasn’t a lot to sink your teeth into.

You can peruse the old Last Jedi thread to see why it’s a difficult movie to discuss on the grounds of story and theme because that’s not what a lot of people care about or want in their Star Wars movie. On your re-watch, take note of everyone’s arc. Where they begin and where they end up, and how it connects them all.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

^ thank you for sharing. Admittedly the Canto Bight/Rose stuff is what my biggest hangup with the movie was but I think that caused me to be cynical about the rest of the movie and not try to enjoy it or look at as open minded as a movie that was not part of a franchise.

Now that I know what happens I can watch it a bit more objectively rather than trying to figure it out/hope for certain things to happen.

I do agree that TFA was mostly a nostalgia cash grab but it did work on me. That first scene with Kylo stopping the blaster and just holding it there the entire scene was one of the coolest things in the entire saga. I think it set our (my) expectations too high going forward though.

Any, I appreciate your insight and will let you know how the re-watch goes.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ thank you for sharing. Admittedly the Canto Bight/Rose stuff is what my biggest hangup with the movie was but I think that caused me to be cynical about the rest of the movie and not try to enjoy it or look at as open minded as a movie that was not part of a franchise.

Now that I know what happens I can watch it a bit more objectively rather than trying to figure it out/hope for certain things to happen.

I do agree that TFA was mostly a nostalgia cash grab but it did work on me. That first scene with Kylo stopping the blaster and just holding it there the entire scene was one of the coolest things in the entire saga. I think it set our (my) expectations too high going forward though.

I get that Canto Bight takes us away from the Skywalkers and probably is a tad too long, but I very much defend it on story/theme grounds. It’s integral to Finn and Rose’s arcs, and expands the scope of the universe in a deeper way than “look at this cool new planet” (which Star Wars tends to do, sometimes to great success!) I think it was interesting to see that even during wartime there are those who are thriving and profiteering (and right under the surface of that sheen and glitz is, of course, human suffering). It’s where Finn’s worldview, which up until this point had been extremely narrow and focused on his infatuation with Rey, expands to see the greater human impact of the rebellion he’s been on the periphery of. It’s important that Rose is here with Finn, because he won’t fully understand how to fight against this until she shows him later. We also meet another crucial character for Finn’s arc (Benicio. I don’t remember the characters name) who is the embodiment of the worst kind of lazy nihilism that I’m sure we have all encountered in real life. It also sets up one of my favorite images of the series for the end, a moment that dovetails beautifully with Rey’s arc: the little boy cleaning the stables. A nobody. A slave. Using a bit of force power to casually sweep up before looking out to the stars and dreaming of his place in it.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I get that Canto Bight takes us away from the Skywalkers and probably is a tad too long, but I very much defend it on story/theme grounds. It’s integral to Finn and Rose’s arcs, and expands the scope of the universe in a deeper way than “look at this cool new planet” (which Star Wars tends to do, sometimes to great success!) I think it was interesting to see that even during wartime there are those who are thriving and profiteering (and right under the surface of that sheen and glitz is, of course, human suffering). It’s where Finn’s worldview, which up until this point had been extremely narrow and focused on his infatuation with Rey, expands to see the greater human impact of the rebellion he’s been on the periphery of. It’s important that Rose is here with Finn, because he won’t fully understand how to fight against this until she shows him later. We also meet another crucial character for Finn’s arc (Benicio. I don’t remember the characters name) who is the embodiment of the worst kind of lazy nihilism that I’m sure we have all encountered in real life. It also sets up one of my favorite images of the series for the end, a moment that dovetails beautifully with Rey’s arc: the little boy cleaning the stables. A nobody. A slave. Using a bit of force power to casually sweep up before looking out to the stars and dreaming of his place in it.

Well said, Ocho.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Well you've definitely gotten me excited to watch it again. Great takes all around.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Well you've definitely gotten me excited to watch it again. Great takes all around.

It’s on Netflix!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

It’s on Netflix!

So I was able to re-watch it this weekend and I enjoyed it a lot more. I still would have it in my lower half of the rankings but the movie was a lot better this time around when I could see foreshadowing and things being set up (e.g.: Finn and Poe's arcs, Luke being broken by his failure actually making sense).

Rose and Holdo are still very unlikable/annoying characters but they don't ruin the movie and they do serve their purpose in helping Finn/Poe learn and grow. The set pieces are pretty great. And it does check a lot of the nostalgia boxes much like TFA did.

I do hope we get some answers about Snoke but if we don't can we really complain? We didn't know anything about the emperor until the prequel trilogy. So maybe we don't learn about Snoke until Kylo's prequels..?

TLDR: I'm glad to have watched it again, it was much more enjoyable this time. I think I'll be watching the rest over the next few weeks.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

It’s on Netflix!

So I was able to re-watch it this weekend and I enjoyed it a lot more. I still would have it in my lower half of the rankings but the movie was a lot better this time around when I could see foreshadowing and things being set up (e.g.: Finn and Poe's arcs, Luke being broken by his failure actually making sense).

Rose and Holdo are still very unlikable/annoying characters but they don't ruin the movie and they do serve their purpose in helping Finn/Poe learn and grow. The set pieces are pretty great. And it does check a lot of the nostalgia boxes much like TFA did.

I do hope we get some answers about Snoke but if we don't can we really complain? We didn't know anything about the emperor until the prequel trilogy. So maybe we don't learn about Snoke until Kylo's prequels..?

TLDR: I'm glad to have watched it again, it was much more enjoyable this time. I think I'll be watching the rest over the next few weeks.

This is what really irks me about these movies. Just impeccably lazy screen writing. So many wasted storylines and character arcs that were junked on the fly when the filmmakers realized they were just dead ends. In part, I blame Disney for this; if they would've picked one of Johnson or Abrams to helm the entire saga, at least we would've had some uniformity in characters, concepts and themes. Instead (in my opinion) we were treated to a cheap display of one-upsmanship (i.e. way too much retconning, which I suspect we will see more of simply going by the title of the third). I want to get behind these movies, but I can't help but find them messy, inconsistent and at times even aimless. When movies become over-dependent on their sequels to make sense of their own narratives, it's simply a lazy affront to your story, your characters and your audience.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I fear that Television has made a generation feel that unless we know all the details of every character’s backstory it means it’s bad and lazy.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

It’s on Netflix!

Glad you enjoyed it more the second time! I’ll defend Rose and Holdo but I also don’t wanna push it
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I fear that Television has made a generation feel that unless we know all the details of every character’s backstory it means it’s bad and lazy.

I see that. It's funny because Tarantino once said in an interview that he leaves a decent percentage of his story a mystery (like what's in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction) and I think that's something that is under-appreciated. I think the unknown can be much more powerful than the known because the possibilities are endless. It's what made Bill (Kill Bill) so interesting - we only knew his reputation but never got to see if he really lived up to it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

I see that. It's funny because Tarantino once said in an interview that he leaves a decent percentage of his story a mystery (like what's in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction) and I think that's something that is under-appreciated. I think the unknown can be much more powerful than the known because the possibilities are endless. It's what made Bill (Kill Bill) so interesting - we only knew his reputation but never got to see if he really lived up to it.

Audiences were just fine knowing nothing about the Emperor for like 30 years before they got around to an origin story which everyone hated. Demanding a deep dive backstory on every character is very much a binge television mindset.

Last edited by ocho on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

Keywords being the bolded. When the practice is over-exhausted, you run the risk of it being looked at as a crutch.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

Audiences were just fine knowing nothing about the Emperor for like 30 years before they got around to an origin story which everyone hated. Demanding a deep dive backstory on every character is very much a binge television mindset.

Static characters don’t need a backstory but dynamic characters do.

We might not have known much about the emperor but we got alot of backstory about Luke.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

Static characters don’t need a backstory but dynamic characters do.

We might not have known much about the emperor but we got alot of backstory about Luke.

Snoke is a dynamic character? Does he even have 10min of screen time across two movies? Luke gets the most fleshed out in the OT but virtually nobody else gets a history lesson or a memory lane stroll. The Snoke thing, like Rey’s parentage, is more about the audience anticipating a twist which is also a staple of binge TV.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

TLJ has alot of plot twists.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Eh. Not of the “Luke I am your father” variety, which is what I was referring to.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Eh. Not of the “Luke I am your father” variety, which is what I was referring to.

Fair enough, and yeah I agree with that.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

I loved Palpatine's trade embargo maneuvering backstory...ok not really.

As for Snoke, I just wanted to know how he knew to use the force since supposedly all the dark side sith/jedi people were dead. I thought it was poorly handled, but I'm not losing sleep over it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: