Official: KD with Achilles Injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
KD probably opts in one .ore year and uses it to heal. This injury likely shakes the free agency moves

Think there is a 5% chance he opts in.

Someone will offer him a longer team deal that is above what he would make by opting in.

Knicks basically have nothing to lose offing him the max for 3 years.

If Clippers strike out on FAs, they have nothing to really lose offing him the max for 3 years.

Both these teams can build through the draft, keep a 2nd max slot open and if KD doesn't come back at super-star level, aren't really that screwed.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject:

KD even after his leg injury is still the best player on the Knicks....thats just how bad they are with their current team.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Kobe was 34 when he tore his Achilles, took him 8 months to recover but he was never the same ever since.

Wonder how long it’ll take for KD to recover. He’ll be 31 in a few months and will be closing in on 32 by the time he’s ready.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Golden State just effectively shortened Durant's career and ruined his next few years. I'm not a fan of KD I think people know that, but I'm so freaking angry at Golden State for what they just did.

As an organization they disgust me.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Hope KD comes back and slaughters the Warriors in the finals next season or something.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Wish KD a speedy and complete recovery. Take your time champ
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LKA wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LKA wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
If I’m the nets im pissed

At this point, why would the Nets or any other team give him a max contract, knowing that in all likelihood he'll be, at best, a solid complementary player?

If I'm Kyrie Irving I would forget about teaming up with him. If he does, it would probably be a lateral move and his frustration at not having enough help or anyone to help him do the heavy lifting will continue.

I'm not sure if that's true... I think if anyone could still come back and play at a high level it's KD.

KD, like Kobe, relied on his shot creating ability and fluid athleticism to score at an elite level. If that's now gone, I don't see him playing at a high level again.

Maybe he can still be a good spot-up shooter and get around 15 a game. But remember that when he comes back he'll be 32, and that he has his share of mileage too.

Kobe was never the shooter that Durant is , that's the difference I'm saying. I think Kobe relied on it more than KD. KD is still 7 foot can shoot right over guys and still a great shooter

Do you think KD will still be able to create his own shot well enough to score 25 a game when he comes back?

I think if Kobe had Steph and Klay as his teammates his comeback from his Achillies could have been a lot better for him and he'd have remained a lot fresher.

KD coming back from that kind of injury is in the best position a player in that situation could be in, within Golden State's system and surrounding talent.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Golden State just effectively shortened Durant's career and ruined his next few years. I'm not a fan of KD I think people know that, but I'm so freaking angry at Golden State for what they just did.

I think this is less about GSW and more about KD's will to go out there and fight. I'm willing to believe that GSW's staff was thorough in checking his achilles; stuff like this just happens sometimes. Just like Kobe's achilles, yeah we can blame MDA for playing him 40 min a night and Vitti for his leech therapy, but maybe it was just bound to happen at some point unless they specifically targeted that muscle for therapy several years earlier.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Kobe was 34 when he tore his Achilles, took him 8 months to recover but he was never the same ever since.

Wonder how long it’ll take for KD to recover. He’ll be 31 in a few months and will be closing in on 32 by the time he’s ready.

The positive for KD is that he's 7 feet tall and one of the best shooters of all time. Maybe he'll lose his guard abilities, but he'll still be able to perform like one of the best stretch PFs of all time. Gain a little weight, strengthen his legs, and he could be like Dirk out there.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Poor guy
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

The positive for KD is that he's 7 feet tall and one of the best shooters of all time. Maybe he'll lose his guard abilities, but he'll still be able to perform like one of the best stretch PFs of all time. Gain a little weight, strengthen his legs, and he could be like Dirk out there.

The positive is he's still only 30 years old. He should take his time, heal up and he should still be able to play a good 5-7 years of great basketball.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject:

hate the Warriors and don't particularly like KD but that achilles injury probably just won them another championship. Team needed motivation and they just got it. As well as a gift from Nurse for calling that timeout when their knees were wobbly.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
KD probably opts in one .ore year and uses it to heal. This injury likely shakes the free agency moves

Think there is a 5% chance he opts in.

Someone will offer him a longer team deal that is above what he would make by opting in.

Knicks basically have nothing to lose offing him the max for 3 years.

If Clippers strike out on FAs, they have nothing to really lose offing him the max for 3 years.

Both these teams can build through the draft, keep a 2nd max slot open and if KD doesn't come back at super-star level, aren't really that screwed.

Players have until June 29th to opt in or out their contracts. I believe Durant won't take the chance and he opts in.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject:

No one calls Kawhi soft now for taking care of himself and refusing to play hurt.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject:

Feel bad for KD. Definitely looking like an Achilles rupture similar to Kobe. I think he definitely opts in and the Warriors take care of him for what he tried to do tonight. It was inspiring honestly. If GS wins out then you can make the argument that this was the defining moment that gave them the almost supernatural determination to beat the Raptors. It was like Steph and Klay refused to lose when they came back from down 6
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:

The Warriors got greedy he never should of been cleared to play and may have ruined his career.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject:

Do the New York Knicks still want Durant at the max? There's just so much irony in this. First, I feel bad for KD. Second, I don't know why he was playing if they even thought there was a risk it could be an achilles. Third, any team that now signs Durant is pretty much doing so for the 2021-22 season. You're going to pay KD a max for 3 years, not 4 years. So whatever his max was, now divide it into 3 years. My god, is he worth that? As good as he is?

So the Lakers, for sure should have no interest.

The Knicks, I just have to cringe. They made all their moves hoping they could have Zion, Durant, Kyrie. Zion is going to the Pels. Durant is not going to play next season. Kyrie is likely heading to the Nets. They traded away their first drafted all-star big since, Patrick Ewing. A special player. Nice.

This is sort of like Cousins. I don't think the max offers will now come so easily for KD. The Warriors should do the right thing and offer KD the same contract they would have previously. Lets see how much integrity they really have. Because many teams, simply won't be as eager to sign KD to a 4 year max, knowing it's really a 3 year deal, virtually skipping most if not all of year 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Unfortunately, unless there were major advances in between when Kobe got injured back in 2013 and 2019, that was probably the end of peak KD.

If he comes back at 70% of what he was.. He's still better than 70% of the leagues active personnel.

that means he'd be ranked 135th...

apropos.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Same, he never once touched his calf.

I hope this lays to rest the notion that Kobe's exhaustion and injuries didn't contribute to him blowing his achilles. All the talk about you can blow your achilles walking down the street. Sure, you can. But we have a very similar incident here, a guy trying to fight for his teams season while battling through injury. Achilles injuries are not common. Either lightning has struck twice, or the fatigue and compensating for other injuries has an effect.

Cousins was also at a career high in minutes when he went down. If you followed his progress, he looked very good when he finally got his game legs back under him but it's been said that compensating for his ankle contributed to his quad injury. If KD takes his time I think he can still be a highly effective, top 10 player. It may take close to an entire season before he gets there however.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

I hope this lays to rest the notion that Kobe's exhaustion and injuries didn't contribute to him blowing his achilles. All the talk about you can blow your achilles walking down the street. Sure, you can. But we have a very similar incident here, a guy trying to fight for his teams season while battling through injury. Achilles injuries are not common. Either lightning has struck twice, or the fatigue and compensating for other injuries has an effect.

I agree, and have always agreed.

Sure, there are freak accidents. But Kobe (and now Durant) were exhausted, and trying to do too much.

Interesting that Kerr made the pre-game comment that the Warriors had no long-term concerns.

Probably figured he's walking as a FA.

Not now.

They get to sign Klay, and pay Durant $30MM next year to recuperate (plus a ton of taxes).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

Cousins was also at a career high in minutes when he went down. If you followed his progress, he looked very good when he finally got his game legs back under him but it's been said that compensating for his ankle contributed to his quad injury. If KD takes his time I think he can still be a highly effective, top 10 player. It may take close to an entire season before he gets there however.

Amen. That was always a BS disingenuous argument. And the people who were making it are now switching to "the player forced their way back on the floor, nothing anybody can do to stop them". Horse crap. If the injury is bad enough that the player is hurting the team's chances of winning by playing, the FO and coaching staff don't let them play. Because at the end of the day, they care about winning more than the players.

If a FO takes a gamble in free agency or a trade and it backfires. They get fired for it. Happens all the time. But when they gamble on a player's health and it backfires. Somehow it's the player's fault 100% and nobody else is responsible. What a crock of (bleep).
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the team of docs as Bob Myers put it has done their due diligents in clearing KD to play but boy does it feel like someone drop the ball... career ruined, even if he can comeback at 32 averaging 25, doubt he'll have that chance to push himself in the Kobe's pantheon of great stratosphere

We'll see if GS keep their word like Houston did with CP3 or if they go the Celtics route with IT... it's still a decent gamble to max KD because of how good he was

Now, whether KD got max from GS or somebody else, you know that GS team not gonna be the same next yr, still good but might not even be the favorite anymore. LeBron and our FO must be thinking we need to go for it now, this is gonna make the push for AD even more and it might not be the wrong way to go if the field just opens up
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

The Knicks still offer him Max. From a business perspective, KD is a big name that fills seats.

What will be interesting is how free agents will weigh their opportunity to join KD post Achilles. That injury is no joke.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Unfortunately, unless there were major advances in between when Kobe got injured back in 2013 and 2019, that was probably the end of peak KD.

If he comes back at 70% of what he was.. He's still better than 70% of the leagues active personnel.

True. But the question is, will a team get to sign him for what it costs to get a player 70% of the leagues active personnel or much more than that.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject:

Damn KD is already 31 years old?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: