I underestimated Jerry West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Ballmer is a hell a strategist-- you don't become worth over $40 BILLION DOLLARS by not knowing who to put around you, how to maneuver, and how to execute.

West laid out a vision for how to move the guys they had (Blake, CP3, DJ) in their playoff treadmill of a situation and turn it into the best team in the NBA.

Our FO accumulated 4 lottery picks (three #2's and a #7), drafted remarkably well, but then used every asset to create cap space to chase stars. Got 2 but that cap space that was created from letting Julius walk and trading JC/Nance has turned into role players.

We're still a good team and should be in contention for a title but it's a little underwhelming the team we have outside of LeBron, AD, Kuz, and to a lesser extent, Green.

Let's see if Rob managed the cap like Pincus suggested to give us more space.

And let's sign Boogie and take a chance he returns closer to all star form. let's also throw money at young defenders like RHJ, Stanley Johnson.

It's a great day for the Clippers and a down one for us. But this is on Jeanie. Jeanie should have brought in West the first time around with Magic. After all the drama this season, she definitely should have brought him in.

She's trying to play a strong game with having a full deck of cards. While the little brother team has elevated the entire game.

Is this documented, or just more Jerry West fan lip service? They have a general manager and a president of basketball operations too, and those dudes had no clue, no vision prior to West arriving? Why is the part time consultant the mastermind?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Clippers tampered better (and didn't get caught) with Kawhi. It's clear as day they tampered and were working like a joint enterprise even before FA started.

Oh yes, the Laker fan refrain: the league screwed us over.

If you repeat it enough, it doesn't become true.

Yes, the league forced them to cut Randle for nary a second round pick, to let BroLo go for Beasley, to trade Zubac for a pile of trash on the sidewalk. The league forced their former executive to have a big fat mouth. To botch their coaching search, to draft a point guard who can't make a layup. To pay KCP tens of millions of dollars to suck.

Clippers deserve KL. They realized the Blake/Deandre tandem was going nowhere and over two years acquired assets and cap space while also being a solid team last year. Lakers want to point up to the sky and say "dou duh do, look at the banners."

Jeannie Buss took one too many botox injections to the brain. She's an idiot and the Lakers front office is garbage. But it doesn't matter. Rich Paul is pulling the strings.

Why is it mutually exclusive?

My sole point was the Clips tampered with KL. Is that true or not?

And can that coexist with your point about Lakers not being competent (while still somehow "stumbling" into 2 top 7 players?).

Your tampering theory is purely speculative. It's a convenient theory to lob around LG, but it isn't true in the least. Why? Because Paul George and OKC would have been in on the shenanigans as well to make your theory true. Clippers gave up 5 first round picks and a very good young guard for PG. In a vacuum, it's a trade they do not make because it's a terrible trade. Clips tried to land two max guys (one being KL), this was their distant plan B. But it's still a good one because they're prob the best team in the NBA.

That had nothing to do with conspiring against the Lakers, who also could have punted on KL pursuit early and gone after better players. Clippers also did a much better job selling themselves to KL all year. Let me see. Former micorsoft exec billionare owner with Lee Jenkins, Jerry West and Doc Rivers in a room versus Botox head and closet sociopath Rob Pelinka? Which would you pick?

You think KL seriously just picked up the phone in July with PG13? Remember there was a report that came out that said PG13/KL/Clips basically talked well before the moratorium.

I get the criticism about the Lakers. But I'm seriously not addressing that and you clearly have an agenda-driven point on that. But to discount the tampering, I disagree. They just did it better and didn't suffer any consequences for it. For that I say, well done.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Ballmer is a hell a strategist-- you don't become worth over $40 BILLION DOLLARS by not knowing who to put around you, how to maneuver, and how to execute.

West laid out a vision for how to move the guys they had (Blake, CP3, DJ) in their playoff treadmill of a situation and turn it into the best team in the NBA.

Our FO accumulated 4 lottery picks (three #2's and a #7), drafted remarkably well, but then used every asset to create cap space to chase stars. Got 2 but that cap space that was created from letting Julius walk and trading JC/Nance has turned into role players.

We're still a good team and should be in contention for a title but it's a little underwhelming the team we have outside of LeBron, AD, Kuz, and to a lesser extent, Green.

And let's sign Boogie and take a chance he returns closer to all star form. let's also throw money at young defenders like RHJ, Stanley Johnson.

It's a great day for the Clippers and a down one for us. But this is on Jeanie. Jeanie should have brought in West the first time around with Magic. After all the drama this season, she definitely should have brought him in.

She's trying to play a strong game with having a full deck of cards. While the little brother team has elevated the entire game.

Is this documented, or just more Jerry West fan lip service? They have a general manager and a president of basketball operations too, and those dudes had no clue, no vision prior to West arriving? Why is the part time consultant the mastermind?

This is complete BS. West was part of the Golden State Warriors when that happened.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

I hate to say it, but I saw this coming. I kept saying that shutting the door on JW was going to come back to bite us. And they did it twice! When I said a year ago that I see a shift happening between the two L.A. teams, I got laughed at and told "they're still the clippers lolz". But Ballmer was making decisions that I felt very familiar with. They were small accumulative decisions that the great Dr. Buss used to make. With every small move I kept thinking to myself that's the kind of thing the Lakers used to do.

It starts at the top and there's just no comparison between the two FO's. Jeannie doesn't run the team the way a true business owner would. She wants no part of the basketball side, and that creates a power vacuum for unqualified goons like the Rambii to step in and have a say. Ballmer takes ownership of the entire team and he hires the right people to fill a void.

Ballmer is doing more things behind the scenes than people realize. A buddy of mine works in an office downtown where the Clippers have an analytics department. He does IT but he says the activity going on down there is incredible. Over 100 employees. It's a billionaire's league now and the Buss kids are running the Lakers like a mom and pop business unfortunately.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

Ballmer is not Sterling and that is a huge problem for the Lakers.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

not sure about West getting all the credit, but Steve Ballmer is the type of owner who i want the Lakers to have.

deep pocket
thinking big
trusts the people he hires and basically hands off type of owner
knows how to use media to drive positive narratives toward your team

basically everything the Buss family is not.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
not sure about West getting all the credit, but Steve Ballmer is the type of owner who i want the Lakers to have.

deep pocket
thinking big

Yep. I think people are underestimating Ballmer. JW doesn't wheel and deal anymore, but Laker fans love to give him credit. Ballmer understands the value of a name and JW is simply window dressing, and even as just window dressing, Laker fans would have loved to have him back. But because we don't, we then start giving up imaginary credit. If we don't have him, that means he's doing all sorts of wizardry for the Clippers.

Meanwhile, on our side, all Jeanie knows is nepotism and obvious super-star names.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
2019 wrote:

West was hired in June 2017 and Franks was promoted to POBO in the same time period. Franks had a limited background in FO operations and West apparently was brought in to serve in the same mentor-advisor role that he had with the Warriors.

Notice that Doc was still POBO and Frank was working underneath him.

Press Release: L.A. Clippers Hire Jerry West

Quote:

“When I took the job as president of this organization, one of the things I said we’re going to do is be world class in everything,” President of Basketball Operations and Head Coach Doc Rivers said. “Our organization has to be world class. We want our team to be the best in service as well. Today is a great step for us.”

“This just another great example of the commitment that Steve Ballmer has allowed the organization, Doc Rivers and me to add someone like Jerry West,” Clippers Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Lawrence Frank said. “What Jerry has done is unmatched in NBA history, and he will bring great value. It is just another example of Steve’s investment in our entire infrastructure.”

A few months later, the GM (Winger) was hired in August 2017 along with Assistant GM Redden. Notice that Frank had been promoted to POBO in the time period between the hiring of West in June and the hiring of Redden and Winger in August.

Thunder exec Michael Winger agrees to Clippers' GM job (Aug 23, 2017)

Quote:

Oklahoma City Thunder executive Michael Winger has reached an agreement in principle to become the general manager of the LA Clippers, league sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

The Clippers offered Winger the job late last week, and the sides have agreed on terms for a multiyear contract.

Sources: Clips add Cavs exec as assistant GM
Winger, an assistant general manager/team counsel for the Thunder, will report to Lawrence Frank, the Clippers' new president of basketball operations.

The Clippers have revamped the franchise's front-office structure in recent weeks, with Doc Rivers returning to full-time coaching duties. The Clippers will also hire former Cleveland Cavaliers executive Trent Redden as an assistant general manager.

Assistant GM Mark Hughes was hired shortly after Redden and Winger.

NBAClippers news: Team hires Knicks’ exec Mark Hughes as assistant GM (August 24, 2017)
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

deep pocket
thinking big

Until proven otherwise, Jeanie imo is in way over her head. Doesn’t inspire confidence from a basketball operations perspective.

Quote:
I agree with being critical of Magic as PBO of the Lakers and the job he did as PBO, but let’s remember who hired him. The same person that hired Magic, has Rambis and Pelinka currently running Lakers basketball ops

It all starts up top

https://twitter.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1187775453735469056?s=21

That’s the truth and we need the Buss family to change ways and build a credible basketball ops or sell the team to a Ballmer type with pockets and obsession to win.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

What is crazy is that this team doesn't exist if they didn't get Bev/Lou/Harrell for CP3. People clowned that trade at the time and now these 3 are far more valuable than CP3 and IMO, the true core and heart and soul of the team. KL doesn't come without these guys.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

deep pocket
thinking big

Until proven otherwise, Jeanie imo is in way over her head. Doesn’t inspire confidence from a basketball operations perspective.

Quote:
I agree with being critical of Magic as PBO of the Lakers and the job he did as PBO, but let’s remember who hired him. The same person that hired Magic, has Rambis and Pelinka currently running Lakers basketball ops

It all starts up top

That’s the truth and we need the Buss family to change ways and build a credible basketball ops or sell the team to a Ballmer type with pockets and obsession to win.

I believe that AEG will be first in the line to buy the team.

Do you feel confident that they will do what it takes in regards to spending and bringing in the right people?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

deep pocket
thinking big

Quote:

It all starts up top

Do you feel confident that they will do what it takes in regards to spending and bringing in the right people?

That’s an excellent point. They seemed all in with the Kings resulting in 2 Stanley Cups but it’s been spotty since.

Just don’t think Jeanie knows what she’s doing tbh. I couldn’t careless if she owns the team so long as she stands up a credible basketball ops. Can’t be just my family and my best friends. We will never sniff another championship that way. Right now everything depends on Lebron and Rich Paul recruitment and a prayer.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

deep pocket
thinking big

Quote:

It all starts up top

That’s an excellent point. They seemed all in with the Kings resulting in 2 Stanley Cups but it’s been spotty since.

Just don’t think Jeanie knows what she’s doing tbh. I couldn’t careless if she owns the team so long as she stands up a credible basketball ops. Can’t be just my family and my best friends. We will never sniff another championship that way. Right now everything depends on Lebron and Rich Paul recruitment and a prayer.

Do you have a certain situation occurring or a point in time that Jeannie decides what she has been doing isn't good enough and finally brings in top talent to run basketball operations?

To make a radical change would be admitting in a roundabout way that her earlier decisions were wrong. Does she have it in her to do that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

What will the Buss kids do once they get their share of the buyout?

I think it confers a sense of "purpose" on them. Not sure we will see a billionaire or corporation buy the Lakers.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think it confers a sense of "purpose" on them. Not sure we will see a billionaire or corporation buy the Lakers.

I understand that they would lose status, purpose etc after selling.

I am wandering into a topic that I am so so at...........so have patience.

Is self esteem, purpose, status etc for the Buss family more important to them than doing what is best for the team and their fans?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Is self esteem, purpose, status etc for the Buss family more important to them than doing what is best for the team and their fans?

I think so. This is their sole identity. Without it, what are they?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think so. This is their sole identity. Without it, what are they?

Just people that became rich mostly because of their inheritance.

I asked a question of another person in this thread and maybe you have some thoughts since it is related to the mental makeup discussion that we are having.

Quote:

Do you have a certain situation occurring or a point in time that Jeannie decides what she has been doing isn't good enough and finally brings in top talent to run basketball operations?

To make a radical change would be admitting in a roundabout way that her earlier decisions were wrong. Does she have it in her to do that?
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Probably should rename to "underestimated Lawrence Frank"

Why?

Quote:

On June 28, 2017, Paul was traded to the Houston Rockets in exchange for Patrick Beverley, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, Darrun Hilliard, DeAndre Liggins, Lou Williams, Kyle Wiltjer, a future first round pick, and cash considerations.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

This Clippers team was the result of the CP3 trade. Trez/Lou/Bev came here. Who made that call?
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Probably should rename to "underestimated Lawrence Frank"

Why?

Quote:

On June 28, 2017, Paul was traded to the Houston Rockets in exchange for Patrick Beverley, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, Darrun Hilliard, DeAndre Liggins, Lou Williams, Kyle Wiltjer, a future first round pick, and cash considerations.

Why did they promise to make Blake Griffin a Clipper for life then turn around and trade him right away? That has West written all over it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Everyone says she is the nicest person and many in league circles like her, but being nice isn’t going to win you the chip.

I think she will feel Jim Buss level heat if one of two events happen:

1. The clippers win the championship
2. The clippers beat the Lakers in the playoffs

Imo one of those 2 events will trigger her to make changes to basketball ops and bring in a reputable PBO/GM.

It’s not all bad, I think she felt the heat a bit over the summer and that’s why we saw some of the beefing up the player development and coaching staff with experienced Handy, Hollins and Kidd whether we agree with all or none of the choices.

But I think one of the aforementioned events would make her pick someone for a complete overhaul of basketball ops. I hope it’s not just wishful thinking on my part.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What is crazy is that this team doesn't exist if they didn't get Bev/Lou/Harrell for CP3. People clowned that trade at the time and now these 3 are far more valuable than CP3 and IMO, the true core and heart and soul of the team. KL doesn't come without these guys.

And LG lore said that after the way they treated Griffin, no FA would ever sign there.

To answer Bard’s question, as long as fans continue to buy tickets and merchandise, I think that Jeanie will think she is doing a good job.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This Clippers team was the result of the CP3 trade. Trez/Lou/Bev came here. Who made that call?

CP3 apparently had some conflicts with Austin Rivers and Doc.

Houston wanted to add an upper tier player to pair with Harden similar to what has happened with Davis & Lebron then Leonard & Paul George.

Beverly, Lou and Harrell had small relatively contracts that would be easier for the Clippers to move if needed compared to the Ryan Anderson contract.

To make the trade numbers work, Houston was throwing multiple players into the trade to balance against the larger CP3 contract.

With Houston keeping Harden, Gordon, Capela and Tucker, there were a very limited number of ways to configure the trade since the Clippers weren't going to want Anderson as an expensive backup behind Blake and DAJ.
FrankUnderwood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

How can you underestimate the GOAT front office executive Jerry West? Everywhere he goes comes great success. Meanwhile we had Linda Rambis calling the shots for us this offseason
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Everyone says she is the nicest person and many in league circles like her, but being nice isn’t going to win you the chip.

I think she will feel Jim Buss level heat if one of two events happen:

1. The clippers win the championship
2. The clippers beat the Lakers in the playoffs

Imo one of those 2 events will trigger her to make changes to basketball ops and bring in a reputable PBO/GM.

It’s not all bad, I think she felt the heat a bit over the summer and that’s why we saw some of the beefing up the player development and coaching staff with experienced Handy, Hollins and Kidd whether we agree with all or none of the choices.

But I think one of the aforementioned events would make her pick someone for a complete overhaul of basketball ops. I hope it’s not just wishful thinking on my part.

I have her giving the LeBron era a chance and then maybe contemplating changes after that is over. With the way the first round picks are boxed in from the Davis trade, it will be difficult to make significant roster changes over the next few years without LeBron or Davis being traded.

If things aren't going well in the 2021-22 season and there is a LFT with him making $41 million, there will be some unhappiness on LG.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: