I underestimated Jerry West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

I think you, me, we all underestimated Kawhai Leonard. He has vocals, a mouth and he actually talks to people. He can text, recruit and motivate. This is about what KL wanted.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

chains wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Never underestimate the old ones.

There’s a reason why Jerry Buss relied on West, it’s stealth moves like this. Mitch operated like this too and did great when allowed (Pau Gasol).

I was another one who was hoping the lakers would bring Jerry west back, if for no other reason than to keep him away from a rival team. That being said, this is not the end of the world, the Lakers still have a contender (the west is wide open).

Now pickup Westbrook and make the circle complete

Calm down. Everyone is giving Jerry way too much credit. Kwak went to the Clippers nothing to do with management. They got a good coach, they had cap space, and he wanted his own team. Nothing to do with the 90 year old Jerry.

For you young folks, Jerry was against drafting Magic Johnson. No Magic in the 80's, Lakers would not have dominated the 80's.

Balmer is the richest owner but he is a clown. He was pushed out of Microsoft because he is a moron.

Which is still light years in competency compared to the bums that are Pelinka, Jeanie and the rambii
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

Kahwi was born 17 years after Jerry played his final game, I doubt he made that much of a difference...
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

There’s a reason why Jerry Buss relied on West, it’s stealth moves like this. Mitch operated like this too and did great when allowed (Pau Gasol).

I was another one who was hoping the lakers would bring Jerry west back, if for no other reason than to keep him away from a rival team. That being said, this is not the end of the world, the Lakers still have a contender (the west is wide open).

Calm down. Everyone is giving Jerry way too much credit. Kwak went to the Clippers nothing to do with management. They got a good coach, they had cap space, and he wanted his own team. Nothing to do with the 90 year old Jerry.

For you young folks, Jerry was against drafting Magic Johnson. No Magic in the 80's, Lakers would not have dominated the 80's.

Balmer is the richest owner but he is a clown. He was pushed out of Microsoft because he is a moron.

Which is still light years in competency compared to the bums that are Pelinka, Jeanie and the rambii

Hahahahaha. U swear they are idiots. Magic opened his mouth. U swear that no other front office has issues. U watch and listen to the media to much. Don't be a follower. Look at the facts and make your own decisions. A lot of the media hates LA. Dominance time after time. Media talks a lot of crap.

That is funny. Don't cry about Kwak. He is now cursed for pulling this. Karma on Kwak.
LakersForever
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I underestimated Rob - -
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

chains wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Hahahahaha. U swear they are idiots. Magic opened his mouth. U swear that no other front office has issues. U watch and listen to the media to much. Don't be a follower. Look at the facts and make your own decisions. A lot of the media hates LA. Dominance time after time. Media talks a lot of crap.

That is funny. Don't cry about Kwak. He is now cursed for pulling this. Karma on Kwak.

The facts are the lakers missed the playoffs for the 6th straight year despite adding a top 5 player and saw their former POBO take a collective dump on them. It's not just magic opening his mouth, he went scorched earth and embarrassed the lakers in the process.

Meanwhile the clippers made the playoffs in the tough west despite having no stars. They've got a winning record for the past 7 years while the lakers have the worst winning percentage in the league within that span.

It's not about kawhi: it's about the clippers being vindicated by their methods and legitimized by the results. Not only did they land their prized FA, but made themselves into a contender by adding another star while making the lakers look like fools in the process.

The clippers are now top dog in terms of running a basketball franchise. We may have the name but the clippers have everything else, especially when it comes to attracting future stars. As long as Jeanie and Pelinka remain in charge, the lakers will be second rate as a basketball team due to the clippers showing how it's done.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West/Clippers are not that magical here. It was a good trade, but one that was made in desperation. Clippers gave up 5 first round picks, two pick swaps, and two players when they could have signed a second star to pair with Kawhi with no compensation. Not signing a second max player was a fail by the Clippers. Getting PG was primarily due to Kawhi. They wouldn't have pulled this off by just calling up OKC and convincing them to trade PG.

Last edited by ducasse2 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

You guys really giving Jerry West credit for this instead of Kawhi and Dennis?
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I underestimated Jerry West

LakersForever wrote:
Now, let’s beat the Clippers 4-0 on the season.

Giving #44 a bit more credit IMHO;after all, they do have a GM and it was Kawhi & PG doing the heavy lifting ... he was eating dinner in Vegas when the trade went down
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West just lost his LA card. He bleeds Clippers now. Screw him
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

West gets (bleep) done. Jeannie is a huge idiot
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

On the title... should we say "Lakers over confident" instead?
IT IS EASY TO BLAME OTHERS FOR OUR INCOMPETENCY.
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

West is never going to work for the Lakers again.

Let's move on.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

The Logo may be slightly more than your typical "consultant" yes?

He just gave the rest of the NBA a reminder at like Age 80.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Anyone see Jerry West gesture to Lebron and AD to come talk to him at the Summer League game today? They obliged but not so sure those guys were in the mood to talk to a someone who helped throw a wrench in their plans.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Clippers mortgaged their entire future on a PG & KL duo. KL can't play more than 60 games a year and PG is going to do what with that supporting cast? Who do the clipps even have outside of those two? Beverly? Lou? Harrel? Zubac? Shamet? this is what we're worried about? psh..bring it on.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West is still the Don. I will always hold him in high esteem
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Like with a lot of things nowadays, the narrative often becomes stronger than the truth. There's definitely truth to Logo being a bad ass NBA front executive who knows how to build great teams, but it's a bit out of control how every time something like this happens, it's ALL because of him. I'm sure he laid the groundwork and the vision that guided the Clippers to this point, but I would assume that there are other people working in that front office (Lawrence Frank) towards that goal on a more regular basis than him. And as much as I don't like him, "Ballz" is the one who bought into that vision and invested all the money it took to realizing it + rebuilding their image, and not just in basketball operations.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Yeah too old they said... 80 yr old Jerry living on his past laurels did what Jerry does.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Oh gosh, u hope the old a$$ West teaches his son someone cause theat MF is employeed with the Lakers
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

I think a lot of people saw this coming...
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Jerry plays chess while Pelinka/rambii plays checkers
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Ok lets be real. West is an advisor for them and not in the office everyday.

Clippers landed their big FA they had been chasing for a year, as we did last year with LBJ. What stingssss the most, is that KL wanted to go there regardless and then pulled some strings in the back channel, to convince PG to demand a trade to the Clippers, while wasting our time, not like West or Frank pulled a rabbit out the hat.

If thats the case , Rob should be GM of the year for getting AD (even though Rich Paul and LBJ were pulling strings behind the scenes)

Its cool for LA basketball and I hope we see them come playoff time.

On paper, I love our depth as of today vs theirs.
Our HC and staff, IMO, are better than theirs. Were not too far apart theirs, minus his 1 fluke title with Boston. (He had a young Blake and a prime CP3 in LA and couldnt do shyyyy)

Thats the 2nd star they competed against us for and got (first being CP3) and I hope their overall results turn out the same (2nd round exits)

All in All, I love what Rob and co. have done. This worked out better for us because we were able to spread the money on many depth / needs in many positions, as opposed to 1 player, and the basketball gods havent been friendly to us when we get greedy (Malone / Payton days, Nash / Howard days)

AD’s here with LBJ, we have playoff tested players, depth all throughout the roster. Tragic Johnson isnt here to cause drama.

Everything happens for a reason. Go Lakers !
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:
I think a lot of people saw this coming...

They probably didn't think Jerry West would be able to turn around the Clippers because of their past history, but lets face it the man knows basketball. I'd rather have him on my side than be against us, but I guess there was some past personal history which led him to leave the franchise.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Ok lets be real. West is an advisor for them and not in the office everyday.

Clippers landed their big FA they had been chasing for a year, as we did last year with LBJ. What stingssss the most, is that KL wanted to go there regardless and then pulled some strings in the back channel, to convince PG to demand a trade to the Clippers, while wasting our time, not like West or Frank pulled a rabbit out the hat.

If thats the case , Rob should be GM of the year for getting AD (even though Rich Paul and LBJ were pulling strings behind the scenes)

Its cool for LA basketball and I hope we see them come playoff time.

On paper, I love our depth as of today vs theirs.
Our HC and staff, IMO, are better than theirs. Were not too far apart theirs, minus his 1 fluke title with Boston. (He had a young Blake and a prime CP3 in LA and couldnt do shyyyy)

Thats the 2nd star they competed against us for and got (first being CP3) and I hope their overall results turn out the same (2nd round exits)

All in All, I love what Rob and co. have done. This worked out better for us because we were able to spread the money on many depth / needs in many positions, as opposed to 1 player, and the basketball gods havent been friendly to us when we get greedy (Malone / Payton days, Nash / Howard days)

AD’s here with LBJ, we have playoff tested players, depth all throughout the roster. Tragic Johnson isnt here to cause drama.

Everything happens for a reason. Go Lakers !

You lost me there
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: