I underestimated Jerry West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Like with a lot of things nowadays, the narrative often becomes stronger than the truth. There's definitely truth to Logo being a bad ass NBA front executive who knows how to build great teams, but it's a bit out of control how every time something like this happens, it's ALL because of him. I'm sure he laid the groundwork and the vision that guided the Clippers to this point, but I would assume that there are other people working in that front office (Lawrence Frank) towards that goal on a more regular basis than him. And as much as I don't like him, "Ballz" is the one who bought into that vision and invested all the money it took to realizing it + rebuilding their image, and not just in basketball operations.

He's a consultant but yet somehow every franchise he goes to manages to turn around their fortunes. Am I saying he is the ultimate decision maker? No, but he is someone with a basketball mind who knows how to spot talent that meshes together.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
Ok lets be real. West is an advisor for them and not in the office everyday.

Clippers landed their big FA they had been chasing for a year, as we did last year with LBJ. What stingssss the most, is that KL wanted to go there regardless and then pulled some strings in the back channel, to convince PG to demand a trade to the Clippers, while wasting our time, not like West or Frank pulled a rabbit out the hat.

If thats the case , Rob should be GM of the year for getting AD (even though Rich Paul and LBJ were pulling strings behind the scenes)

Its cool for LA basketball and I hope we see them come playoff time.

On paper, I love our depth as of today vs theirs.
Our HC and staff, IMO, are better than theirs. Were not too far apart theirs, minus his 1 fluke title with Boston. (He had a young Blake and a prime CP3 in LA and couldnt do shyyyy)

Thats the 2nd star they competed against us for and got (first being CP3) and I hope their overall results turn out the same (2nd round exits)

All in All, I love what Rob and co. have done. This worked out better for us because we were able to spread the money on many depth / needs in many positions, as opposed to 1 player, and the basketball gods havent been friendly to us when we get greedy (Malone / Payton days, Nash / Howard days)

AD’s here with LBJ, we have playoff tested players, depth all throughout the roster. Tragic Johnson isnt here to cause drama.

Everything happens for a reason. Go Lakers !

You lost me there

Im saying IMO b/c Rivers had Thibs on defense and 3 all stars to become a well respected coach. Before, in Orlando, he wasnt making noise.

Vogel had B Shaw as top assistant and a young PG to put his name out there.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Here’s what happened. Let me give you a lesson

Clipppers came into the summer with 59 million in cap space. Their goal was to dump Gallinari on a team for a pick and sign two stars, one of them being Leonard.

After whiffing on that because they’re a second fiddle clown show
in LA, they had an ultimatum. Leonard would sign if they acquired a fringe superstar like Paul George. Clipper then emptied the chest trading 5 firsts, their best young player and a good player in Gallinari to acquire George and sign Leonard.

Not genius. Called contingency plans.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject:

If anything Kawhi did a better job GMing the Clippers than the Clippers lol
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:

Clipppers came into the summer with 59 million in cap space. Their goal was to dump Gallinari on a team for a pick and sign two stars, one of them being Leonard.

in LA, they had an ultimatum. Leonard would sign if they acquired a fringe superstar like Paul George. Clipper then emptied the chest trading 5 firsts, their best young player and a good player in Gallinari to acquire George and sign Leonard.

Not genius. Called secondary plans.

Landing KL and Paiul George and unraveling plans of Lakers creating a monster team that was a heavy favorite to win it all isn’t a secondary plan. Hey I’m pissed too but the Clippers are a very very good team now. They gave up a lot for sure but they landed two stars vs one and we’re able to keep their youth and best bench player in Williams. That’s a decent get
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:
I think a lot of people saw this coming...

Clippers knew about KL desire to come here when they resigned Blake and made him seem like the face of the franchise, then shipped his ass off to Detroit. They were putting themselves in position with a years time, its not a fluke that alot of Clipper execs were going to Toronto games.

F KL for wasting our time, but we recovered on the FA market pretty well.

And if you think about it, West maybe did us a favor in the long run cause the Clippers are screwed if this tandem doesn't get them a title as they are out of draft picks till maybe 2028-2029 (swaps and all)
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Clippers landed their big FA they had been chasing for a year, as we did last year with LBJ. What stingssss the most, is that KL wanted to go there regardless and then pulled some strings in the back channel, to convince PG to demand a trade to the Clippers, while wasting our time, not like West or Frank pulled a rabbit out the hat.

If thats the case , Rob should be GM of the year for getting AD (even though Rich Paul and LBJ were pulling strings behind the scenes)

Our HC and staff, IMO, are better than theirs. Were not too far apart theirs, minus his 1 fluke title with Boston. (He had a young Blake and a prime CP3 in LA and couldnt do shyyyy)

Thats the 2nd star they competed against us for and got (first being CP3) and I hope their overall results turn out the same (2nd round exits)

All in All, I love what Rob and co. have done. This worked out better for us because we were able to spread the money on many depth / needs in many positions, as opposed to 1 player, and the basketball gods havent been friendly to us when we get greedy (Malone / Payton days, Nash / Howard days)

AD’s here with LBJ, we have playoff tested players, depth all throughout the roster. Tragic Johnson isnt here to cause drama.

You lost me there

Im saying IMO b/c Rivers had Thibs on defense and 3 all stars to become a well respected coach. Before, in Orlando, he wasnt making noise.

You didnt see Rivers coached the clips to 48 wins last year and took the warriors to 6 games without any allstar then.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
If anything Kawhi did a better job GMing the Clippers than the Clippers lol

Would he have picked the Clippers if they didn't turn around the team from 2017-2018? The team at the end of the season for the 2018 was vastly different from the overachieving one in 2019. I'm sure Jerry West had some input into the foundation of that team which made Kawhi consider them.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

If thats the case , Rob should be GM of the year for getting AD (even though Rich Paul and LBJ were pulling strings behind the scenes)y

You lost me there

You didnt see Rivers coached the clips to 48 wins last year and took the warriors to 6 games without any allstar then.

If we had stayed healthy, they dont even make the playoffs.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

Landing KL and Paiul George and unraveling plans of Lakers creating a monster team that was a heavy favorite to win it all isn’t a secondary plan. Hey I’m pissed too but the Clippers are a very very good team now. They gave up a lot for sure but they landed two stars vs one and we’re able to keep their youth and best bench player in Williams. That’s a decent get

You think Plan A was to give up five 1st round draft picks and their 2018 1st round pick? No, the plan was to sign two max guys and keep their picks. Due to their incompetence in failing to use cap space to sign a second max player it cost them six first rounders.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Never underestimate the old ones.

There’s a reason why Jerry Buss relied on West, it’s stealth moves like this. Mitch operated like this too and did great when allowed (Pau Gasol).

I was another one who was hoping the lakers would bring Jerry west back, if for no other reason than to keep him away from a rival team. That being said, this is not the end of the world, the Lakers still have a contender (the west is wide open).

Now pickup Westbrook and make the circle complete

Calm down. Everyone is giving Jerry way too much credit. Kwak went to the Clippers nothing to do with management. They got a good coach, they had cap space, and he wanted his own team. Nothing to do with the 90 year old Jerry.

For you young folks, Jerry was against drafting Magic Johnson. No Magic in the 80's, Lakers would not have dominated the 80's.

Balmer is the richest owner but he is a clown. He was pushed out of Microsoft because he is a moron.

Which is still light years in competency compared to the bums that are Pelinka, Jeanie and the rambii

Hahahahaha. U swear they are idiots. Magic opened his mouth. U swear that no other front office has issues. U watch and listen to the media to much. Don't be a follower. Look at the facts and make your own decisions. A lot of the media hates LA. Dominance time after time. Media talks a lot of crap.

That is funny. Don't cry about Kwak. He is now cursed for pulling this. Karma on Kwak.

The facts are the lakers missed the playoffs for the 6th straight year despite adding a top 5 player and saw their former POBO take a collective dump on them. It's not just magic opening his mouth, he went scorched earth and embarrassed the lakers in the process.

Meanwhile the clippers made the playoffs in the tough west despite having no stars. They've got a winning record for the past 7 years while the lakers have the worst winning percentage in the league within that span.

It's not about kawhi: it's about the clippers being vindicated by their methods and legitimized by the results. Not only did they land their prized FA, but made themselves into a contender by adding another star while making the lakers look like fools in the process.

The clippers are now top dog in terms of running a basketball franchise. We may have the name but the clippers have everything else, especially when it comes to attracting future stars. As long as Jeanie and Pelinka remain in charge, the lakers will be second rate as a basketball team due to the clippers showing how it's done.

sounds like u are salivating over the Clippers. U need to go be a Clipper Bandwagoner. I heard they have plenty of space.

Again, you are not understanding. You are just repeating what the media says. I repeat, Ballmer is a jokebook. Does he have money. Yes, he does. So you understand the business world, he was an idiot and ran Microsoft to the ground. He is only rich cus of Bill Gates. Just cus u have money does not make u great.

I will give you that Doc is a good coach. He only has one championship and you can argue he had a stacked team in 2008. Our coaching staff is formidable as well. Vogel had a bad time in Orlando. Guess what, so did Doc Rivers who also coached Orlando. Hollins and Kidd are no slouches. We need jerks right bout now. Walton was a pushover and you can see it in his face.

Jerry West, the trader, is given way too much credit. As I have stated, he did not want to draft Magic. Kobe was a big laker fan and wanted to come to LA. That was a no brainer. Shaq wanted out of Orlando. These deals fell on our laps. Just like Kareem and Wilt wanted to come here, of course before Jerry.

Quit listening to the media. Last week Masai Ujiri was the best ever cus he took a risk and traded for Kwak. Now what? he is an idiot cus he lost Kwak and got nothing for Rozan. The media would not dare say that. If it was the Lakers they would be saying that, guaranteed.

Our front office is fine. The media magnifies every mistake. There are a lot of east coast haters out there. U may be too young, but in 2004, the media was all wet over Joe Dumars. His Pistons won the championship. What a great executive they were saying cus of one championship. Sometimes it takes luck. Pistons all down hill since and he steps down several years ago.

At the end of the day, Kwak wanted his own team. U don't play with the front office, you play with other players. The front office is behind the scenes. Kwak called and recruited KD before his meetings with the LA teams. No one believed it, since there was so many stories out there. But had the Lakers known that was true, logically he had no intentions in coming to the Lakers. He even met with PG13 before meeting with the Lakers.

Kwak used the Lakers to weaken them. Our front office recovered decently.

Clippers front office cud of been Daffy Duck. Get that through your head and quit blaming our Laker front office. Quit listening to the media.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

Funny How Jerry is getting the credit yet, it was the players, that orchestrated this whole thing. People love pushing the media narrative.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

I am not knocking mr west, cause he still is family to me, but I doubt he work he is involve is the negotiation to get PG or Kawhi. I read somewhere that he was having dinner with friends and took a phone call and then celebrated with $14k bill after showing the phone to friends. This show me that he gets the updated info, but does not deal on getting it all the detail executed. He is a figure head and a very strong one, but he is too old to do all the work a GM does. IMO
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

I'm not disagreeing. They're a very good team, hats off.

I'm just saying they wanted to lure Leonard and another max player this summer while keeping all their assets. Frankly, they would have build a super team because they could have acquired the next disgruntled star on the market (Beal?) to pair with Leonard and Durant/Kyrie/Kemba/Butler.

None of the max guys outside of Leonard would give them a meeting. So this was their plan 1b
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

Kawhi orchestrated this, not Jerry West. Kawhi wanted to come to LA but wasn't comfortable being #3 on the team behind LBJ & AD. Lakers were his contingency plan. If the Clippers or Raptors could not get another star, he was going to the Lakers. It seemed likely not more than a few days ago but Kawhi found the guy and then asked the Clippers to make it happen.

People forget Jerry West was essentially forced out and was never properly paid by Dr. Buss in the first place. Yes Jeannie could have brought him back but there maybe more to the story than we know and we also know Jeannie will always follow what her father did, which is why I think he was not brought back.

Jerry West is a good adviser and I am sure he had a hand in Blake & CP3 being dealt, which has proven to be correct. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Yes the Clippers made the playoffs but that would not have been repeated this year. If you look at the roster sans Kawhi & PG13 they are mostly blue collar hard working guys but beyond Lou Will lack any other real high end talent. As guys likke Harrell have to play more does that get exposed?
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

I actually feel sorry for the 2 guys who are actually making the moves, all the while West gets all the praise.

Lawrence Frank and Michael Winger.

I'm not comparing both since West is great at what he does, but it seems awfully similar to Magic being here and being praised when something good happens and Pelinka getting all the blame when something goes wrong.

With all that being said, I still would like someone looking over Pelinka, in the long term I feel it'll be better for the team.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

I believe Logo is the greatest executive of all time, but the PG trade was pure desperation by the Clippers FO. They made the trade to avoid the Lakers from becoming a super big 3. That should tell you how to feel about having LeBron and AD on our team.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

Doubtful.

Think they are just putting it out their for damage control on Leonard.

In LA, he already has AD and Lebron....
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

What's a jerry west?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

The (bleep) gave same name to both teams. If raptors do it, it's Masai
If clippers do it, it's not their VP/GM ?

Lol
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
realking24 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

I'm not disagreeing. They're a very good team, hats off.

I'm just saying they wanted to lure Leonard and another max player this summer while keeping all their assets. Frankly, they would have build a super team because they could have acquired the next disgruntled star on the market (Beal?) to pair with Leonard and Durant/Kyrie/Kemba/Butler.

None of the max guys outside of Leonard would give them a meeting. So this was their plan 1b

That makes sense
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

chains wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Never underestimate the old ones.

There’s a reason why Jerry Buss relied on West, it’s stealth moves like this. Mitch operated like this too and did great when allowed (Pau Gasol).

I was another one who was hoping the lakers would bring Jerry west back, if for no other reason than to keep him away from a rival team. That being said, this is not the end of the world, the Lakers still have a contender (the west is wide open).

Now pickup Westbrook and make the circle complete

Calm down. Everyone is giving Jerry way too much credit. Kwak went to the Clippers nothing to do with management. They got a good coach, they had cap space, and he wanted his own team. Nothing to do with the 90 year old Jerry.

For you young folks, Jerry was against drafting Magic Johnson. No Magic in the 80's, Lakers would not have dominated the 80's.

Balmer is the richest owner but he is a clown. He was pushed out of Microsoft because he is a moron.

Which is still light years in competency compared to the bums that are Pelinka, Jeanie and the rambii

Hahahahaha. U swear they are idiots. Magic opened his mouth. U swear that no other front office has issues. U watch and listen to the media to much. Don't be a follower. Look at the facts and make your own decisions. A lot of the media hates LA. Dominance time after time. Media talks a lot of crap.

That is funny. Don't cry about Kwak. He is now cursed for pulling this. Karma on Kwak.

The facts are the lakers missed the playoffs for the 6th straight year despite adding a top 5 player and saw their former POBO take a collective dump on them. It's not just magic opening his mouth, he went scorched earth and embarrassed the lakers in the process.

Meanwhile the clippers made the playoffs in the tough west despite having no stars. They've got a winning record for the past 7 years while the lakers have the worst winning percentage in the league within that span.

It's not about kawhi: it's about the clippers being vindicated by their methods and legitimized by the results. Not only did they land their prized FA, but made themselves into a contender by adding another star while making the lakers look like fools in the process.

The clippers are now top dog in terms of running a basketball franchise. We may have the name but the clippers have everything else, especially when it comes to attracting future stars. As long as Jeanie and Pelinka remain in charge, the lakers will be second rate as a basketball team due to the clippers showing how it's done.

Quit listening to the media. Last week Masai Ujiri was the best ever cus he took a risk and traded for Kwak. Now what? he is an idiot cus he lost Kwak and got nothing for Rozan. The media would not dare say that. If it was the Lakers they would be saying that, guaranteed.

Not sure how many would agree with you. Toronto got the better player via the trade which basically brought them the championship and you think they should have got more asset. Spurs fans are the ones who should be upset not getting more asset in return. And you call Ujiri an idiot. Have you checked out Raptors’ salary construction? They have around 90m of expiring contract. They don’t have any huge bad contract on the team. The expiring contracts can be trade to get asset in return. This guy is good at his job
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
realking24 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

You think Plan A was to give up five 1st round draft picks and their 2018 1st round pick? No, the plan was to sign two max guys and keep their picks. Due to their incompetence in failing to use cap space to sign a second max player it cost them six first rounders.

Yes your correct, I just don’t think they care at this point. Plan A B C still blocked us from KL those bastard lol I’d rather them keep their picks then have KL. Now I’m just ready for the Lakers hopefully bouncing them from the playoffs and no longer a KL fan seems he completely manipulated the free agency and played the Lakers. Completely fits with Balmer, George, KL attitudes. Clippers and them deserve one another. Imagine in their meeting them mocking and laughing while Lakers were pursuing him in good faith. Not saying that happened but it seems likely and seems dirty
Technical Lead
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

With all the reports that came out, doesnt seem like jerry west had anything to do with it. It was more like kawhi and his team who orchestrated it
johnnyhandsome
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:

If I am not mistaken, two of those 1st rounders are from Miami. One of those picks came from absorbing Harkless' contract a few days prior. Who knows, maybe they were stock piling those picks to complete the deal? So while it's true, the Clippers did give up 5 picks, they only gave away 3 of their own picks.
What we know now, is that Leonard was working on teaming up with PG. Could the Harkless trade been made to acquire that 1st pick to sweeten the pot? Could that move been made at the advice of the logo? Plan A was to acquire kawhi but as it looked like he didn't want to come alone, the FO shifted to get Kawhi's future teammate he wanted to play with. It looks like a haul of assets but a lot of those assets are from numerous side deals that were created when they disbanded the old core. We also have to remember that Kawhi isn't possible for the Clippers without PG13. So basically, they gave up some of their assets to get two players, not one.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: