Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Magic did have an actual interview that was pretty similar to the scene in Cookie's bedroom.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Coop holing things together during the Nixon Johnson scuffle. Didn't know that .
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Coop holing things together during the Nixon Johnson scuffle. Didn't know that .

That's a great scene. Given how Coop's been portrayed as a happy go lucky, go along with things type of guy, it was surprising he was the one that put his foot down.

This show has it's warts but it's super entertaining and doubly so if you grew up with Showtime.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't surprise me because I'm surprised it ever made it to air tbh

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
I'm telling you — the future of "Winning Time" hangs in the balance. We need viewers. The strikes are crippling. Please help spread the word. Season 2 is amazing. But ... HBO is big on #s. #winningtime

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
And, to be blunt, I'm worried there won't be a season three. And it's not about me. I'm fine. It's about a cast of amazing young actors who live this. So, seriously, tell your friends to support "Winning Time" and show
@hbo
you want it to continue. Peace. #winningtime
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject:

i'm old. i've seen cap, magic and crew many times at the forum... but those times are long ago.

once they get to kobe, i think viewership will skyrocket.

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
I'm telling you — the future of "Winning Time" hangs in the balance. We need viewers. The strikes are crippling. Please help spread the word. Season 2 is amazing. But ... HBO is big on #s. #winningtime

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
And, to be blunt, I'm worried there won't be a season three. And it's not about me. I'm fine. It's about a cast of amazing young actors who live this. So, seriously, tell your friends to support "Winning Time" and show
@hbo
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
i'm old. i've seen cap, magic and crew many times at the forum... but those times are long ago.

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
@hbo

My god, the Kobe-Shaq saga… caricatured, gonna be crazy!!! I’d watch the ish out of it lol. Imagine the 2004 season episode
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
@hbo

I'm old too, but I'm not surprised it made to air, if only because of the crazy set of facts:

- Wannabe cowboy parlays a real estate investment into a highly leveraged purchase of an NBA and NHL team, and the building;

- The associate of the target for next coach turns up dead in the truck of car in Beverly Hills;

- Draft the most charismatic player in decades;

- New head coach has tragic accident and ends up in a early season coma;

- Interim coach is an English teacher;

- New Assistant and future HOF Coach pulled from the announcer's booth;

- Recently acquired, coked-out PF attempts to take out a contract on interim coach;

- Team wins championship.

...all in a matter of months.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
@hbo

My god, the Kobe-Shaq saga… caricatured, gonna be crazy!!! I’d watch the ish out of it lol. Imagine the 2004 season episode

I don't know how they're going to cast Kobe and Shaq if it gets that far.
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

I mean, two years ago I would have said there was no chance in hell they could have found a credible Magic and Kareem, yet the two actors are brilliant despite being previously unknown. The casting of the players on this show has generally been spot on. The bigger problem is the show may get cancelled a long time before it gets to 1999.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
@hbo

Too bad Tiny Lister passed away, a little camera angle and he’d do Shaq justice… Kobe, that’s Denzel’s son role (camera angle up to wazoo, of course)
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject:

In case you guys haven't been watching, just wanted to put a PSA out there that this season is significantly better than season 1. Way less gimmicky and the writing and acting are both great.

The last 2 episodes were easily the strongest of the entire series thus far IMO. Hoping this picks up steam as it seems likely to get cancelled after this season if the viewership doesn't improve.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
In case you guys haven't been watching, just wanted to put a PSA out there that this season is significantly better than season 1. Way less gimmicky and the writing and acting are both great.

The last 2 episodes were easily the strongest of the entire series thus far IMO. Hoping this picks up steam as it seems likely to get cancelled after this season if the viewership doesn't improve.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

I think focusing on basketball drama instead of personal drama really helped
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject:

i mean if the ish hits the fan... but they do get a 3rd season... just skip right to 1997 with the lakers trading for kobe on draft night. viewership will definitely pick up.

sorry cap and magic, kids just don't connect with y'all like they do kobe and shaq.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject:

Well they got Jeanie promoting this show now

https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss/status/1700320414906626191

Quote:
Jeanie Buss
@JeanieBuss
Nothing like playing
@celtics
to make the heart start pumping. Great promo - watch #WinningTime new episode Sunday on
@HBO

@SnoopDogg

@Lakers
(The basketball scenes are incredible!) 💜
Kaoxt
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman

Quote:
Jeff Pearlman
@jeffpearlman
@hbo

This show has never been intended to make it past the early 90s at the latest. There is not going to be a Kobe or Shaq on this show. It's been discussed how far they see it going.

It's entirely possible another show eventually will cover the Kobe - Shaq days, but I cannot see that happening for at least another 10 years. Kobe's death is still very fresh in the minds of many, and that is something studios won't dare touch for awhile, because it is so tragic.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject:

^^^ Your post also reminded me that the show is based on the book "Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s". So it would appear the initial intent is to not go beyond the 80s.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
^^^ Your post also reminded me that the show is based on the book "Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s". So it would appear the initial intent is to not go beyond the 80s.

Actually, it was reported that HBO has optioned Pearlman's follow-up book "Three Ring Circus" about the Shaq/Kobe era. That doesn't guarantee that they'll actually make it, but at least it shows their intention, if the current show does well.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss/status/1700202903523438690?s=20

Quote:
Jeanie Buss
@JeanieBuss
I’m enjoying this season of Winning Time on
@HBO
reliving the Lakers Showtime era. Lakers fans tell me what you think of the show so far. There are some discrepancies but John C. Riley has nailed Dr. Buss
@StreamOnMax
#WinningTime

Wonder what all those fans complaining and hating on the show have to say about this...?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Even Rick Fox and Snoop are endorsing the show
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Quote:
Jeanie Buss
@JeanieBuss
@HBO
reliving the Lakers Showtime era. Lakers fans tell me what you think of the show so far. There are some discrepancies but John C. Riley has nailed Dr. Buss
@StreamOnMax
#WinningTime

Wonder what all those fans complaining and hating on the show have to say about this...?

I get die hard Laker fans being frustrated at certain aspects for sure but honestly 99% of re-enacted Biography stuff has endless inaccuracies.. Look up just about any of the bigger projects and you'll find plenty of people calling things out. That's what happens when you put the ol' Hollywood veneer over anything. It's made to entertain not to be a full on 100% accurate Documentary. Personally, i'd much rather keep everything as close to fully correct historically as they possibly can but that's just not realistic.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Even Rick Fox and Snoop are endorsing the show

Snoop
https://twitter.com/RickFox/status/1700623177678754161
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Quote:
Jeanie Buss
@JeanieBuss
@HBO
@StreamOnMax
#WinningTime

I get die hard Laker fans being frustrated at certain aspects for sure but honestly 99% of re-enacted Biography stuff has endless inaccuracies.. Look up just about any of the bigger projects and you'll find plenty of people calling things out. That's what happens when you put the ol' Hollywood veneer over anything. It's made to entertain not to be a full on 100% accurate Documentary. Personally, i'd much rather keep everything as close to fully correct historically as they possibly can but that's just not realistic.

I think a lot of it is very accurate especially Magic being a dog. He may not to relive that but..
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject:

the second season is MUCH better. less goofy 4th wall BS and more drama.

john c reilly deserves an emmy IMHO.

and yeah, jeannie and rick are promoting it more. they're lakers for life. rick still does that "quiz show" at the end of each episode, right?

i'm guessing the season ends with the back to back championships?

in light of the cancellation rumors, i think season 3 will start with the cap retirement, sweep by the bulls and magic with HIV. we'll be lucky if we even get one full episode of the "lake show" period along with the brief magic to play and then coach.

though they gotta have someone play nick just for the "123 cancun!" quip. haha!

they'll skip right to the summer of 1996 with signing shaq and trading for kobe. then we're gonna ride that period out for a loonngggg time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
the second season is MUCH better. less goofy 4th wall BS and more drama.

john c reilly deserves an emmy IMHO.

and yeah, jeannie and rick are promoting it more. they're lakers for life. rick still does that "quiz show" at the end of each episode, right?

i'm guessing the season ends with the back to back championships?

in light of the cancellation rumors, i think season 3 will start with the cap retirement, sweep by the bulls and magic with HIV. we'll be lucky if we even get one full episode of the "lake show" period along with the brief magic to play and then coach.

though they gotta have someone play nick just for the "123 cancun!" quip. haha!

they'll skip right to the summer of 1996 with signing shaq and trading for kobe. then we're gonna ride that period out for a loonngggg time.

If there's a season 3 it will be the 1985 season from beginning to end.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16
Jump to: