Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Top QB recruit Young flips from USC to Alabama

Quote:
Alabama added ESPN 300 quarterback Bryce Young to its 2020 recruiting class, flipping Young from USC.

The No. 4 ranked dual-threat quarterback in the class, Young had been committed to the Trojans since July, 2018, but switched his decision after a visit to Alabama this past weekend.

LINK

call me cynical, but I wonder what may have been exchanged on that visit that resulted in a decision change...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
Alabama added ESPN 300 quarterback Bryce Young to its 2020 recruiting class, flipping Young from USC.

The No. 4 ranked dual-threat quarterback in the class, Young had been committed to the Trojans since July, 2018, but switched his decision after a visit to Alabama this past weekend.

LINK

call me cynical, but I wonder what may have been exchanged on that visit that resulted in a decision change...

Slovis is just that good?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Slovis is just that good?

the reason I do not understand it is Tua's brother is expected to take over when Tua leaves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often when both UCLA and USC are not in national title contention and we have a ton of talent here.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often when both UCLA and USC are not in national title contention and we have a ton of talent here.

I know that stuff matters, but I still struggle to understand how a Mater Dei kid would rather play at Alabama than play at USC or UCLA. I mean for the last 4 or 5 years I would think he has imagined himself at one of those schools.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

Through 4 weeks do not really see any surprises. Few legit contenders.

ACC
Contenders - Clemson
Dangerous teams - NA

Big10
Contenders - Ohio State, Wisconsin
Dangerous teams - Penn State, Iowa

Big12
Contenders - Oklahoma
Dangerous teams - Texas, Oklahoma State, Iowa State

PAC12
Contenders - NA
Dangerous teams - Oregon, Utah, USC, Cal, Washington

SEC
Contenders - Alabama, Georgia, LSU
Dangerous teams - Auburn, Florida, Missouri, Texas A&M

Other
Contenders - NA
Dangerous teams - Notre Dame
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Houston QB D'Eriq King leaving program with intent to transfer

Quote:
Houston star quarterback D'Eriq King will sit out the rest of the season and take a redshirt year, according to a report from the Houston Chronicle. King has played in all four of the Cougars games in 2019, and will be able to preserve a year of eligibility by using the four-game redshirt rule that was instituted by the NCAA last year.

LINK

Star of the team was not benched or anything.....just walking away from his team 4 games into the season. I would not touch him with a 10' pole if I was another program.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Houston QB D'Eriq King leaving program with intent to transfer

Quote:
Houston star quarterback D'Eriq King will sit out the rest of the season and take a redshirt year, according to a report from the Houston Chronicle. King has played in all four of the Cougars games in 2019, and will be able to preserve a year of eligibility by using the four-game redshirt rule that was instituted by the NCAA last year.

LINK

Star of the team was not benched or anything.....just walking away from his team 4 games into the season. I would not touch him with a 10' pole if I was another program.

now he is saying he will remain at Houston, but set out the rest of the year....not sure what this is all about
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I can’t blame him. By coming back next year, he gets to prove himself against Rice. If he wants to play in the NFL, that could be huge.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I can’t blame him. By coming back next year, he gets to prove himself against Rice. If he wants to play in the NFL, that could be huge.

LOL!

The Stanford of Texas!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

their top WR is also setting out the rest of the season; claiming to return next season. I honestly do not understand it on the surface
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

their top WR is also setting out the rest of the season; claiming to return next season. I honestly do not understand it on the surface

Do they get to save a year of eligibility?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

They are seniors, but since they have only played 4 games this year, they will red shirt and be able to play next season. But why? They were the 2 best offensive players on the team this year.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I know that stuff matters, but I still struggle to understand how a Mater Dei kid would rather play at Alabama than play at USC or UCLA. I mean for the last 4 or 5 years I would think he has imagined himself at one of those schools.

That is a surprising change for someone that first picked USC. With that said...

To me watching USC football the last couple of years has reminded me a lot of USC football in the late 90’s with Paul Hackett coaching the team. Teenagers these days were too young the last time USC won a title. USC hasn’t even made the playoff yet since it expanded to 4 teams. If you’re 15-18 years old, you’ve been watching Clemson and Alabama dominate each year and to a lesser extent, a few other schools like Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio State. The California schools have been irrelevant year after year.

As for UCLA, I’m amazed they haven’t been conference champs since 1998 and that team lost the Rose Bowl.

Alabama on the other hand is relevant every year and wins national titles. They also beat USC 52-6 the last time they played. UCLA got blown out by Oklahoma less than 2 weeks ago. If some high school teenager says either USC or UCLA sucks, how will someone respond? By saying they don’t suck?

Last edited by Steve007 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

That is a surprising change for someone that first picked USC. With that said...

To me watching USC football the last couple of years has reminded me a lot of USC football in the late 90’s with Paul Hackett coaching the team. Teenagers these days were too young the last time USC won a title. USC hasn’t even made the playoff yet since it expanded to 4 teams. If you’re 15-18 years old, you’ve been watching Clemson and Alabama dominate each year and to a lesser extent, a few other schools like Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio State. The California schools have been irrelevant year after year.

As for UCLA, I’m amazed they haven’t been conference champs since 1998 and that team lost the Rose Bowl.

Alabama on the other hand is relevant every year and wins national titles. They also beat USC 52-6 the last time they played. UCLA got blown out by Oklahoma less than 2 weeks ago. If some high school teenager says either USC or UCLA sucks, how will someone respond? By saying they don’t suck?

If you are a kid that wants to go to the NFL, you would probably pick the school with the most visibility nationally. Right now those are SEC schools and maybe even the ACC now with Clemson starting to build a dominant program. Lets look at the TV packages, SEC you got ESPN and CBS in your corner, that is pretty much the most high profile TV partners you can get. Look at the Pac-12 TV partners, you got the Pac-12 network which some cable providers carry and some don't....then your game might be on ESPN/ABC/FOX, who knows....there isn't a dedicated free to air station to that conference like the SEC.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

^That’s a good point. I’ve had Direct TV for years and still don’t have the PAC-12 channel. I have an easier time finding an Alabama game on tv than a USC/UCLA game.

And to make things worse, Alabama will be in the playoff and probably the SEC Championship Game. USC/UCLA will play in what? The Sun Bowl? Las Vegas Bowl? Will they even play in a bowl game?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

They are seniors, but since they have only played 4 games this year, they will red shirt and be able to play next season. But why? They were the 2 best offensive players on the team this year.

I was listening to ESPNU this morning and I guess nobody expected either of these guys to ever play for Houston again. I honestly do not know how you walk back in that locker room.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
^That’s a good point. I’ve had Direct TV for years and still don’t have the PAC-12 channel. I have an easier time finding an Alabama game on tv than a USC/UCLA game.

And to make things worse, Alabama will be in the playoff and probably the SEC Championship Game. USC/UCLA will play in what? The Sun Bowl? Las Vegas Bowl? Will they even play in a bowl game?

I guess everyone is different, but I honestly believe if I am a 5 Star recruit right now....I want offers from Clemson, 'Bama and even USC.....but I am going to WVU....because as a kid I was imitating Pat White and Tavon Austin in the back yard (if I was 18 years old now.....I was Major Harris in my back yard).

I am not sure playing at 'Bama or Clemson really increases the chances to get drafted these days. If you are good, the NFL will find you. They send more to the NFL because they have more talent.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

not sure why it took so long....if you have a hard time scheduling P5 schools to home and home's....schedule other good non P5 schools.

UCF beefs up schedule with Boise State, BYU

Quote:
UCF added nonconference home-and-home series with Boise State and BYU to its future schedules, the schools announced Tuesday.

For UCF, the additions show an ongoing commitment to enhance its strength of schedule. The Knights have been criticized for their strength of schedule, finishing the regular season undefeated in 2017 and 2018 but not being in the College Football Playoff conversation.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Utah and Florida schedule future home & home

Quote:
According to a repot from The Gainesville Sun's Pat Dooley, the Gators will take on the Utah Utes for a home and home in the years 2022 and 2023. The Utes will reportedly travel to Gainesville in the year 2022, with the Gators set to travel to Salt Lake City, Utah the following year.

LINK

the reason this is a big deal is Florida does not play out of conference games outside the state borders....

Quote:
The Gators' last true road non-conference game played out of state was against Syracuse in 1991.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
not sure why it took so long....if you have a hard time scheduling P5 schools to home and home's....schedule other good non P5 schools.

Quote:
UCF added nonconference home-and-home series with Boise State and BYU to its future schedules, the schools announced Tuesday.

For UCF, the additions show an ongoing commitment to enhance its strength of schedule. The Knights have been criticized for their strength of schedule, finishing the regular season undefeated in 2017 and 2018 but not being in the College Football Playoff conversation.

LINK

I agree, I want the San Diego State Aztecs in that mix, we own Boise State of course.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I agree, I want the San Diego State Aztecs in that mix, we own Boise State of course.

yeah, there is usually at least 3...sometimes 4 really good teams in each of the Mountain West and AAC.....those schools should play at least one of the better teams from the other conference each year. I know it will never happen, but I still believe if you took the 6 best teams from the MW and AAC....then added Army & BYU....it would have the quality of a P5 conference....

American Athletic Conference

Mountain West
- Boise State
- BYU
- San Diego State
- Utah State
- Colorado State
- Air Force
- Wyoming

Mountain East
- Army
- Navy
- Cincinnati
- Houston
- Memphis
- UCF
- USF
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I’m slowly moving toward the view that the whole Power 5 concept is misleading. It just means that if some team like Oregon State or Rutgers had a miracle season, they would get a slot in the CFP. No one really expects that to happen.

The Power 5 conferences have three tiers, essentially. The bottom tier consists of schools like Illinois, Kansas, and Vanderbilt. Sometimes they have good years, but most of the time they are about at the level of an above average Group of Six team. The middle tier consists of schools like Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, and Nebraska. These teams are better than the Group of Six, but not so much better that an upset would be legendary.

Then there is the top tier, which are the schools that are realistically in contention for the CFP. Not all of the schools in this tier will contend every year, of course. Some of them will go through down cycles. But realistically, there are maybe 15 or so schools that have the resources and recruiting power to be serious CFP contenders, outside of a miraculous run.

The point is that a conference full of schools at the level of bottom and middle tiers is NOT the same as a Power 5 conference. If you took Texas and Oklahoma out of the Big 12, it would not be a Power 5 conference. The Pac 12 is a Power 5 conference only because USC, Oregon, and maybe Washington have the potential to be top tier teams.

But people talk about the Power 5 as if there is something magical about those conferences. This is the misleading part. The question is not whether Boise State, BYU, and UCF are good enough to play in the Power 5. Of course they are. The question is whether they would be top tier Power 5 teams. That’s what matters for the CFP. And the answer is no.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Yeah thats pretty much true for the most part. When people talk about the strength of the conference they are usually referring to the cream at the top. Lets face it even the mediocre teams in the SEC can be beaten....See San Jose State beating the Arkansas Razorbacks this past weekend.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The question is not whether Boise State, BYU, and UCF are good enough to play in the Power 5. Of course they are. The question is whether they would be top tier Power 5 teams. That’s what matters for the CFP. And the answer is no.

but what if the question really is could they be a Top Tier Power 5 team with Power 5 resources (money)? I think logic suggests that if U of Florida, FSU and Miami can compete at a national championship level for periods, then UCF and possibly USF have that same potential. I think UCF's conference payout last year was just shy of $10 Million....Florida received about $43 Million from the SEC, while FSU and Miami are receiving north of $30 Million per year. It is a large gap. The ironic part is UCF probably had higher television ratings than those 3 schools last year when looking at apples to apples (ABC vs ABC, ESPN vs ESPN games).....but it is all about the conference contract.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 11 of 38
Jump to: