Why Fans Should Give LA Lakers Guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope a Break

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Why Fans Should Give LA Lakers Guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope a Break

Hey All,

Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep 159 - Why Fans Should Give LA Lakers Guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope a Break w/@JoshMartinNBA
@lineups https://www.spreaker.com/user/11494655/hollywood-hoops-give-kcp-a-break

Cheers,

EP
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

I've felt the same for most of his career in PnG. With all the players that have come and gone over the past few years, KCP has consistently been disrespected as if he is barely a Laker.

He has a good attitude and possesses legit NBA skills on both ends of the court. No one will ever mistake him for a star in the league, but I am happy he is in our rotation (especially since his price has gone down instead of up each year).
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

wow a sensible take, lol - appreciate it joeblow
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
I've felt the same for most of his career in PnG. With all the players that have come and gone over the past few years, KCP has consistently been disrespected as if he is barely a Laker.

He has a good attitude and possesses legit NBA skills on both ends of the court. No one will ever mistake him for a star in the league, but I am happy he is in our rotation (especially since his price has gone down instead of up each year).

I think fans are incapable of compartmentalizing skillset/character from salary.
cirehawk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I don't judge KCP on the basis of his salary. I'm a firm believer in getting whatever a team is willing to pay you. I've never judged his character either. He could be a great guy. And I definitely wasn't expecting him to be a star. What I expected was for him to be what he was touted as being... a solid 3 and D guy. But to my eye, he hasn't been a good 3-ball shooter since he has been here. Heck, he hasn't been a good shooter period. I can only think of 2 or 3 games over these couple years where I thought wow, he's really making an impact. Trust me, I have been pulling for him to be more impactful. As for his defense? To my eye he has been sub par on that end as well.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Eh, I personally don't care how other fans and commentators define a player. I simply look at what we have and make my own personal determination of whether he has a net positive or net negative contribution over the course of a season. To me, KCP has been a solid net positive over the years.

But the main point in your response that I want to address is what you said about the unimportance of judging a player's character. I actually didn't say anything about character at all in my post. I commended KCP for his attitude, which is a completely different trait.

Whether or not a lot of Dennis Rodman's tabloid antics were manufactured, I believe overall he had a bad character. I was not a fan of Rodman the person at all. But Rodman the player? His attitude on the court is one of the all-time best.

Who here wouldn't want each and every Laker, regardless of what they do on their own time, to bring to the arena what he did in "self-motivation to succeed AND exceed" almost every single game? That's the fuel that runs the player's internal motor, and it is invaluable in order for him to maximize his skills.

Now, I'm not saying KCP has the high level attitude that Rodman had (or the defensive skill set and game IQ as well - he doesn't). But the attitude he does possess is admirable when you compare him to other guys in the league that just go through the motions half the time.

In the end, can you do a lot better than KCP? Of course, but for the salary we're paying him now (which has to be a factor to be practical), you could do a lot worse as well.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't begrudge kcp for taking as much money as he could get. That said, it's hard to deny that we overpaid him and he represents a poor use of our resources.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I don't begrudge kcp for taking as much money as he could get. That said, it's hard to deny that we overpaid him and he represents a poor use of our resources.

9 games into the season might be a bit premature
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Be honest Eric, how much did Klutch pay yah? J/k...maybe lol.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't blame KCP; it's the coach's job to yank players who aren't playing well. I do think Norvell or Cacok can give us more but I'm not complaining if we're winning.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Norvell over KCP and its not even close. Sorry, KCP is a net negative most games. Occasional positive but rare over the last 2 seasons. Plays well when we are way up or way down and plays poorly in tight games. Norvell should get a chance in my opinion.
LakerFlyer
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: KCP Not that Great

Sorry, KCP just doesn't seem to come through when we need him to. Not that clutch. He gives good effort, and plays average D for one of our current Laker Guards, but his shot just doesn't seem to fall when we need him to make them. Lukewarm on KCP. Seem to be disappointed in him more often than happy he's on the floor. If he's cheap as others have said, so much the better. Just my 2¢. Peace. Out.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:

My opinion wasn't based on the start of this season but previous seasons with us. I wouldn't have resigned him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

He was a -10 in 4 minutes tonight. Good lord.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:

My opinion wasn't based on the start of this season but previous seasons with us. I wouldn't have resigned him.

Agreed on all counts.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

KCP should give ME a break. Good lord, he's been atrocious.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
I don't blame KCP; it's the coach's job to yank players who aren't playing well. I do think Norvell or Cacok can give us more but I'm not complaining if we're winning.

Hard to yank 8 million dollars off the court when we have injured and recovering players

Who said his salary is going down? It goes up another half million next year
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It’s into season 3, poor move by management.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Give him a break, give him a kit-kat bar....!
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It’s into season 3, poor move by management.

maybe not if it netted us Lebron and then AD.

However, it's time to make better use of that salary.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject:

He just needs to perform consistently and he'll serve his purpose on the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: