Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 74, 75, 76  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Paul Dehner Jr. wrote:

At the question of it being alleged a Patriots official had a videographer filming the Bengals sideline from the press box on Sunday, Zac Taylor had no comment only saying he was "aware there was an incident" and "the league was investigating it," but had no comment.
Dec 9, 2019 • Reply • Retweet • Favorite

Dianna

@diannaESPN
¡
6m

The NFL league office has a copy of the video tape and the Bengals organization has the original. What’s on the tape tells the truth.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
Russell Wilson is really good. I am just wondering how come he hasn't won more than one superbowl ring.

Despite the Pats making it look easy its actually quite hard to get to the SB let alone win one.

Some don't even get that.

Yep. Though he'd have 2 if not for Pete Carroll's play calling.

To be fair, Russell is the one who threw the ball.

To be fair ask yourself, would you have made the call for a pass from the 1 yard line with Beast Mode in the backfield? In that offer would you say Pete Carroll's play calling may be the reason Wilson doesn't have 2 rings?

In the moment (and immediately afterwards) I thought a run was the obvious, no-brainer option. But when looking at the history (below for reference) and anticipating what the opponent was expecting I thought it was a great play call to throw it - just not into the middle where it was congested.

Quote:
Among 39 running backs with at least 10 carries from the 1-yard line in the past five seasons (including playoffs), Lynch’s touchdown percentage (45 percent) ranks 30th. Also consider that this season, Lynch scored a touchdown on 1-of-5 rushes from the 1-yard line.

The thing is we're judging the decision-making based of the result, not the actual decision. Had the result been favorable then Pete would be hailed a genius for outwitting Belichick.

When you have a elephant in the backfield you don't try to outwit the opponent you go mono e mono. You have two shots at the end zone with the beast.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

^
Maybe the NFL was aware of this yesterday, and that's why the refs shafted the Patriots with so many bad calls!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
Russell Wilson is really good. I am just wondering how come he hasn't won more than one superbowl ring.

Despite the Pats making it look easy its actually quite hard to get to the SB let alone win one.

To be fair ask yourself, would you have made the call for a pass from the 1 yard line with Beast Mode in the backfield? In that offer would you say Pete Carroll's play calling may be the reason Wilson doesn't have 2 rings?

It was 2nd and goal with 25 seconds left. If Wilson just throws an incompletion, they still would have had 3rd and goal with 20 seconds left.

So, at most, Carroll's play calling cost them a chance to score a TD on 2nd and goal. Wilson's INT cost them a chance at having 3rd and goal and 4th and goal.

Carroll has explained that with only 25 seconds left, if they run on 2nd and fail, they have to use their last remaining TO. That means NE would have the edge on 3rd down knowing they needed to throw.

On 2nd down, NE didn't know if they were going to throw or not. So, by throwing, even if it's an incomplete, they would still have a TO and still could run on 3rd down.

That's his explanation/strategy. It makes sense to me. Gotta fault the QB for throwing an INT there.

If we're going to strategize, why not compile 3 rushes with the beast to be the best option? Carroll IMO blew it, so did many his players as many have said.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

It was 2nd and goal with 25 seconds left. If Wilson just throws an incompletion, they still would have had 3rd and goal with 20 seconds left.

So, at most, Carroll's play calling cost them a chance to score a TD on 2nd and goal. Wilson's INT cost them a chance at having 3rd and goal and 4th and goal.

Carroll has explained that with only 25 seconds left, if they run on 2nd and fail, they have to use their last remaining TO. That means NE would have the edge on 3rd down knowing they needed to throw.

On 2nd down, NE didn't know if they were going to throw or not. So, by throwing, even if it's an incomplete, they would still have a TO and still could run on 3rd down.

That's his explanation/strategy. It makes sense to me. Gotta fault the QB for throwing an INT there.

If we're going to strategize, why not compile 2 rushes with the beast to be the best option? Carroll IMO blew it, so did many his players as many have said.

Because they had 3 downs? Are you saying you'd rather run it twice rather than have 3 cracks at it?

But anyways, that's not really the question right?

The question is, who's more at fault. Carroll choosing to run on 2nd and goal knowing that he also had 3rd and 4th downs to try and punch it in, or Russell who threw the INT to end the game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

That play call was the worst in the history of sports, given the circumstances. Throwing the ball was bad enough, but to do so in a congested area of the field was incomprehensible, in that situation. Far too much downside can come with such a play. A D-lineman can tip the ball who knows where, or the wide receiver could simply drop a hard pass like that and the ball bounces up to who knows who, or what actually happened could happen, which is that a defender jumps the route (you have nothing to lose defending from the 1) and makes a play. And unless I am mistaken, Pete Carroll is not involved with the play calls on offense. That probably came from Darrell Bevell, who was the offensive coordinator at the time.

Regardless, worst play call in the history of sports, given the circumstances. They got cute from the 1-yard-line with one of the best power backs in history at their disposal, and 3 downs left with which to get a touchdown.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Newest Spygate Controversy Surrounding Patriots Just A ‘Misunderstanding’ With Bengals

Yes, there is a report that the Patriots were taping the play calls of a 1-12 team. But it all sounds like a big misunderstanding, according to those around the NFL.

Bengals head coach Zac Taylor was asked about rumors of a Patriots employee videotaping their sideline during his Monday press conference, sparking all the hoopla.

“I’m aware of the incident, but the league is investigating it. So I have no comment,” Taylor said Monday.

The Patriots had a scout in Cleveland on Sunday to watch the Bengals take on the Browns, because that’s what NFL teams do. But that scout was not filming the Bengals sideline — he was being filmed himself.

According to NESN’s Doug Kyed, the Patriots had a camera crew in Cleveland to document their scout for the team’s “Do Your Job” web series. This was cleared with the Browns, and the Patriots have turned the footage over to the NFL and are cooperating fully, according to Kyed.

Doug Kyed
✔
@DougKyed
A source tells me the Patriots had a camera crew in Cleveland this weekend to shoot a documentary on a scout that was watching the Bengals-Browns game. The Patriots cleared it with the Browns, have turned the footage over to the NFL and are cooperating fully with the league.

12:39 PM - Dec 9, 2019

Mark Daniels of The Providence Journal added to that report, saying the Browns never informed the Bengals that this was happening. The whole situation, according to Daniels, is a “misunderstanding.”

Mark Daniels
✔
@MarkDanielsPJ
¡ 57m
Hold up on this “spy gate” story.

The Patriots were filming the ‘Do Your Job’ series in Cleveland on their scouting department, per source. They had permission from the Browns to have a three person crew filming b role of their scout sitting at a desk.

Mark Daniels
✔
@MarkDanielsPJ
The Browns never informed the Bengals what was going on. They told the league and the NFL has the footage. This, as I’m told, is a misunderstanding.

12:43 PM - Dec 9, 2019

ESPN’s Dianna Russini, who gave the story legs on Monday afternoon, has also reported that the controversy appears to be a misunderstanding due to a lack of communication with the Bengals.

Dianna
✔
@diannaESPN
Just spoke to New England about the situation. Apparently this was a very BIG misunderstanding and lack of communication with the Bengals.

12:48 PM - Dec 9, 2019

Albert Breer
✔
@AlbertBreer
¡ 56m
An explanation on the Patriots' situation: The team sent a video crew to shoot a pro scout for its in-house Do Your Job series. Crew was cleared by the Browns for yesterday's game against the Bengals, and followed the pro scout through his normal Sunday process. (Cont.)

Albert Breer
✔
@AlbertBreer
The issue here was that neither the Bengals nor the league were informed of this. So Cincinnati officials found it strange when a Patriots videographer was setting up a tripod and shooting down to the field -- especially since the two teams play Sunday.

12:45 PM - Dec 9, 2019

Adam Schefter
✔
@AdamSchefter
Patriots’ advance scout was not filming but being filmed, per a league source. He was being filmed for a feature the team produced called, "Do Your Job." The video crew was credentialed by the Browns to shoot video in the press box and their PR person was aware, per the source

12:41 PM - Dec 9, 2019

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/12/09/patriots-bengals-spygate-accusations-nfl-week-15/

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
That play call was the worst in the history of sports, given the circumstances. Throwing the ball was bad enough, but to do so in a congested area of the field was incomprehensible, in that situation. Far too much downside can come with such a play. A D-lineman can tip the ball who knows where, or the wide receiver could simply drop a hard pass like that and the ball bounces up to who knows who, or what actually happened could happen, which is that a defender jumps the route (you have nothing to lose defending from the 1) and makes a play. And unless I am mistaken, Pete Carroll is not involved with the play calls on offense. That probably came from Darrell Bevell, who was the offensive coordinator at the time.

Regardless, worst play call in the history of sports, given the circumstances. They got cute from the 1-yard-line with one of the best power backs in history at their disposal, and 3 downs left with which to get a touchdown.

well, it's 2nd and goal with 25 seconds left and only 1 TO left.

You have 3 tries to punch it in and with only 1 TO left, you can only run it once.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You have 3 tries to punch it in and with only 1 TO left, you can only run it once.

I still probably run it, but at the very least, you don't call the pass play that they did. I think we can all agree on that, and not just because of hindsight. There's just way too much risk to run a play like that on 2nd down. If it's 4th down and you have worked on this play and you believe in your heart that this is the very best play that you can call, that's a different story. But you still have 3 plays.

And this is just me, but if you fail on the 2nd down pass, now they are going to totally commit to stopping the run on 3rd down, because there's only two plays left. I just wouldn't have gotten fancy there, I give the ball to my hammer (and not in a goal-line bunched up set, which I hate, because you want more space in these situations, not less), and if he doesn't get in, I call my timeout and go from there. And you can still call 2 plays during the timeout, even a running play on third down, because you'd still have enough time to unpile and run the 4th down play.

Funny that we're still talking about this all these years later lol.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I still probably run it, but at the very least, you don't call the pass play that they did. I think we can all agree on that, and not just because of hindsight. There's just way too much risk to run a play like that on 2nd down. If it's 4th down and you have worked on this play and you believe in your heart that this is the very best play that you can call, that's a different story. But you still have 3 plays.

And this is just me, but if you fail on the 2nd down pass, now they are going to totally commit to stopping the run on 3rd down, because there's only two plays left. I just wouldn't have gotten fancy there, I give the ball to my hammer (and not in a goal-line bunched up set, which I hate, because you want more space in these situations, not less), and if he doesn't get in, I call my timeout and go from there. And you can still call 2 plays during the timeout, even a running play on third down, because you'd still have enough time to unpile and run the 4th down play.

Funny that we're still talking about this all these years later lol.

Yeah, maybe something at the sidelines and down at the feet where it's either a catch or an incomplete.

And to your point on 3rd down, if I'm the Offensive coordinator and I'm 100% confident that NE sells out to stop the run on 3rd down, I'd call a play action pass.

That's what they should have done on 2nd down. They were in shot gun formation. They probably should have had Russell under center running a play action pass.

Everyone thought it was going to be a run there.

1st and goal at the 5 - they have Russell Wilson under center and they give the ball to Marshawn Lynch.

2nd and goal at the 1 - they have Russell Wilson in the shot gun and they try to run a quick slant.

They should have had Russell Wilson under center on 2nd down and run play action pass if they wanted to pass.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

How desperate are you to spy on the Bengals?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

The Eagles are just awful, holy crap.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

It’s hilarious how bad the NFC East is. And the winner of that division gets a home playoff game. Imagine if the Rams were playing in that division. The Rams are 2-2 against their own division, and 6-3 against everyone else. Rams would probably be 10-3 or 9-4 at worst and have 1st place locked up.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Rams could win out and still miss the playoffs while the winner of the NFC East doesn't even have to show up for the rest of the games on the schedule...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Pederson is an offensive genius, up there with Sean Payton.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject:

Must be nice to play a team like the Giants, a team that has lost 9 in a row, instead of the 49ers or the Seahawks. The Cowboys are 2-7 when they don’t play their own division; the Eagles are 4-6.

I thought the playoffs was supposed to be for winners, not for losers.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Must be nice to play a team like the Giants, a team that has lost 9 in a row, instead of the 49ers or the Seahawks. The Cowboys are 2-7 when they don’t play their own division; the Eagles are 4-6.

I thought the playoffs was supposed to be for winners, not for losers.

Just a weird year where the NFC East sucks. Of course, the Redskins and Giants have sucked for a while, but Dallas and Philly have been pretty solid for a while. This year, not so much.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

I honestly believe Tampa Bay would be in the playoffs this year if the NFL did not totally screw us with the schedule. We went from September 22nd to November 10th (7 weeks) without a home game, and that included a trip to London plus cross country trips to LA and Seattle. We won the first game of the road trip against the Rams, and lost every other game on the trip. Since the road trip ended, we are 4-1. We will likely finish the season 9-7 or 8-8. No other team had a stretch like that this season, and no team should have a crazy traveling stretch like the Buc's had this season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Giants waive Janoris Jenkins for tweeting "r*tard"? I fully understand the word is offensive to many people and has been getting phased out of informal American dialogue for years.....losing his job seems kind of heavy.

Again, I used the word as a kid and no longer use it because I was informed it was offensive at some point....and I get people being upset at Jenkins for using it, but have we got to the point that our little ears can't tolerate hearing any offensive words without demanding extreme punishment for someone?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

^ It seems like society has massively over-corrected in some regards. People aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes anymore, they have to have it be a stain on them forever.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Giants waive Janoris Jenkins for tweeting "r*tard"? I fully understand the word is offensive to many people and has been getting phased out of informal American dialogue for years.....losing his job seems kind of heavy.

Again, I used the word as a kid and no longer use it because I was informed it was offensive at some point....and I get people being upset at Jenkins for using it, but have we got to the point that our little ears can't tolerate hearing any offensive words without demanding extreme punishment for someone?

Probably used it as an excuse to cut him...they owe him something like 11.25 million next year, and lets face it the Giants have been awful this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I honestly believe Tampa Bay would be in the playoffs this year if the NFL did not totally screw us with the schedule. We went from September 22nd to November 10th (7 weeks) without a home game, and that included a trip to London plus cross country trips to LA and Seattle. We won the first game of the road trip against the Rams, and lost every other game on the trip. Since the road trip ended, we are 4-1. We will likely finish the season 9-7 or 8-8. No other team had a stretch like that this season, and no team should have a crazy traveling stretch like the Buc's had this season.

The Raiders did
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ It seems like society has massively over-corrected in some regards. People aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes anymore, they have to have it be a stain on them forever.

The guy flat out refused to apologize . . . not exactly "learning from his mistake".

While I think that ultimately there is more in play here, he wasn't cut for using the word. He was cut for refusing to apologize. That's just being a dumbass. How hard is it to say, "I'm sorry I used that word. It was inappropriate and I will refrain from using it again"?

Not (bleep) hard at all.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

^^^pretty sure he apologized to anyone he offended multiple times in a rambling statement a couple hours after the original tweet.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^pretty sure he apologized to anyone he offended multiple times in a rambling statement a couple hours after the original tweet.

Quote:
Janoris Jenkins released by Giants after doubling down on Twitter slur

“This was an organizational decision,” Shurmur said in a prepared statement.

“From ownership to management to our football operations, we felt it was in the best interests of the franchise and the player. Obviously, what happened this week, and the refusal to acknowledge the inappropriate and offensive language, was the determining factor.”

The Giants likely were going to cut Jenkins during the offseason as a football decision anyway, considering his contract offered $11.25 million in salary cap savings and just a $3.5 million dead cap hit for next season.

Despite Shurmur condemning Jenkins’ language, Jenkins tried to downplay it as “slang” used within the Florida “culture” in which he was raised. He refused to answer the question of whether he would continue using the word.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/giants-release-janoris-jenkins-after-he-defended-slur/

Quote:
"Where I'm from, we use all kind of words for slang. If it offends anybody, I'm sorry," Jenkins said. "It's a culture that I grew up in where I'm from, you know what I'm saying. We use all kinds of words for all kinds of slang. If you don't know, it's a 'hood thing. Whatever. I'm not calling nobody no name or pick at nobody. It's just something we use in the hood back at home."

He never took the tweet down, and only apologized after having a conversation with Shurmur. Even then, he essentially admitted he only apologized because he was told to.

"I really didn't seem so bad with it," Jenkins said. "People like y'all started picking it up and making stories. So I just apologized."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 43 of 76
Jump to: