I underestimated Jerry West
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersForever
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: I underestimated Jerry West

Now, let’s beat the Clippers 4-0 on the season.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:

Never underestimate the old ones.

There’s a reason why Jerry Buss relied on West, it’s stealth moves like this. Mitch operated like this too and did great when allowed (Pau Gasol).

I was another one who was hoping the lakers would bring Jerry west back, if for no other reason than to keep him away from a rival team. That being said, this is not the end of the world, the Lakers still have a contender (the west is wide open).

Now pickup Westbrook and make the circle complete
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

He’s the GOAT executive and proved it once again. Jeanie shunning him in favor of Magic is proving to be a massive mistake
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

Results matter, everywhere he has gone he’s helped the team get better. He wanted to go back Jeanie said no bad mistake
indyrckstar
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

I never underestimated him. Just frustrated that we ever let him go...
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: I underestimated Jerry West

LakersForever wrote:
Now, let’s beat the Clippers 4-0 on the season.

No we all overestimated Magic. Jeanie needs to figure out he weighs down everything. He shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near FAs.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

Kahwi and West conspired well to prevent Lakers from forming a great team. STUPID PELINKA NOT GOING AFTER A SURE THING.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers got fooled. Big time!
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

Why is West getting all the credit as opposed to the rest of their Front Office? I haven't seen a report yet indicating that West was deeply involved in these negotiations. I haven't seen anywhere that West personally gave a pitch to Kawhi like he did with Durant, that somehow sealed the deal. He may well have been instrumental, but it is also entirely possible that other people are good at their jobs.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Why is West getting all the credit as opposed to the rest of their Front Office? I haven't seen a report yet indicating that West was deeply involved in these negotiations. I haven't seen anywhere that West personally gave a pitch to Kawhi like he did with Durant, that somehow sealed the deal. He may well have been instrumental, but it is also entirely possible that other people are good at their jobs.

Really? You want Jerry West to announce his moves to the media? How stupid do you think Jerry is?
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

Like it or not, Jerry put in practice the arts of war.
He attacked where you dont see it coming.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
He’s the GOAT executive and proved it once again. Jeanie shunning him in favor of Magic is proving to be a massive mistake

He would never admit it....but West is human, and I think this one was personal with him. He wanted to show Jeanie and Magic that while they may be great at what they do, he is legendary at what he does.

#stayinyourlane
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

Kawhi was coming to Clips all along; he just made them up the ante.
West & Clips closed the deal but KL was a Clip from day one.

Last edited by pio2u on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

Ballmer is a hell a strategist-- you don't become worth over $40 BILLION DOLLARS by not knowing who to put around you, how to maneuver, and how to execute.

West laid out a vision for how to move the guys they had (Blake, CP3, DJ) in their playoff treadmill of a situation and turn it into the best team in the NBA.

Our FO accumulated 4 lottery picks (three #2's and a #7), drafted remarkably well, but then used every asset to create cap space to chase stars. Got 2 but that cap space that was created from letting Julius walk and trading JC/Nance has turned into role players.

We're still a good team and should be in contention for a title but it's a little underwhelming the team we have outside of LeBron, AD, Kuz, and to a lesser extent, Green.

Let's see if Rob managed the cap like Pincus suggested to give us more space.

And let's sign Boogie and take a chance he returns closer to all star form. let's also throw money at young defenders like RHJ, Stanley Johnson.

It's a great day for the Clippers and a down one for us. But this is on Jeanie. Jeanie should have brought in West the first time around with Magic. After all the drama this season, she definitely should have brought him in.

She's trying to play a strong game with having a full deck of cards. While the little brother team has elevated the entire game.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
RG73 wrote:

Really? You want Jerry West to announce his moves to the media? How stupid do you think Jerry is?

It's no accident the man is successful wherever he goes and this latest maneuver was a masterpiece. No one saw this coming Jerry is like a sniper.
Pelinka didn't stand a chance with the Logo.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Jerry Buss would be Vito whereas Jeanie is more Fredo than Michael. That idiot Jeanie could have hired West as her consigliere, but instead opted for clowns like Linda and Kurt Rambis and her idiot ex-boyfriend, who's a hell of a coach but sorry executive.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Ballmer is a hell a strategist-- you don't become worth over $40 BILLION DOLLARS by not knowing who to put around you, how to maneuver, and how to execute.

West laid out a vision for how to move the guys they had (Blake, CP3, DJ) in their playoff treadmill of a situation and turn it into the best team in the NBA.

Our FO accumulated 4 lottery picks (three #2's and a #7), drafted remarkably well, but then used every asset to create cap space to chase stars. Got 2 but that cap space that was created from letting Julius walk and trading JC/Nance has turned into role players.

We're still a good team and should be in contention for a title but it's a little underwhelming the team we have outside of LeBron, AD, Kuz, and to a lesser extent, Green.

Let's see if Rob managed the cap like Pincus suggested to give us more space.

And let's sign Boogie and take a chance he returns closer to all star form. let's also throw money at young defenders like RHJ, Stanley Johnson.

It's a great day for the Clippers and a down one for us. But this is on Jeanie. Jeanie should have brought in West the first time around with Magic. After all the drama this season, she definitely should have brought him in.

She's trying to play a strong game with having a full deck of cards. While the little brother team has elevated the entire game.

The guy who laughed at Apple for creating a cellphone without a keyboard? Sure, bro.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
RG73 wrote:

Where did I say that? Woj had a fairly detailed report on what went down after the fact today and I don't believe he mentioned West. I'm not saying he played no role, but I think it is dismissive to assume that it was all West, and that Ballmer and the rest of the full-time front office staff that he hired were not instrumental in executing this plan. West, at his age, is not working the phone 24/7 and not sleeping for a week. He's a consultant. They may have simply asked him what approach he would take, but it was still up to the Clippers front office to execute, not to mention gather the appropriate intel to even know they could pull off what they did.

The fact is that Winger and Frank did all the heavy lifting on this, and when they give out executive of the year awards, they're not giving one to Jerry West for pulling this off.

Lets not forget that Winger worked under Presti. He's the one with the relationship there. Why are people hesitant to give him credit? This wasn't some Jerry West coup, this was a Clippers organization coup, coupled with Kawhi being a straight up duplicitous p.o.s.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Breaking and bending the rules and being a ruthless sociopath also tends to help a lot. Balls is cut from the same cloth as his little sociopath buddy Bill.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

I just don't see how keeping Ryan West here is not a conflict of interest TBH.
We have no idea what he tells Jerry...
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

Jerry West convinced Paul George to demand a trade to Clippers.

Stop the deification.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

From what I hear, this wasn’t really Jerry - GSW we’re happy to see him go. Frank deserves more of the credit.
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Over rated the influence of jerry west stop the hype
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

There’s a reason why Jerry Buss relied on West, it’s stealth moves like this. Mitch operated like this too and did great when allowed (Pau Gasol).

I was another one who was hoping the lakers would bring Jerry west back, if for no other reason than to keep him away from a rival team. That being said, this is not the end of the world, the Lakers still have a contender (the west is wide open).

Calm down. Everyone is giving Jerry way too much credit. Kwak went to the Clippers nothing to do with management. They got a good coach, they had cap space, and he wanted his own team. Nothing to do with the 90 year old Jerry.

For you young folks, Jerry was against drafting Magic Johnson. No Magic in the 80's, Lakers would not have dominated the 80's.

Balmer is the richest owner but he is a clown. He was pushed out of Microsoft because he is a moron.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

chains wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Calm down. Everyone is giving Jerry way too much credit. Kwak went to the Clippers nothing to do with management. They got a good coach, they had cap space, and he wanted his own team. Nothing to do with the 90 year old Jerry.

For you young folks, Jerry was against drafting Magic Johnson. No Magic in the 80's, Lakers would not have dominated the 80's.

Balmer is the richest owner but he is a clown. He was pushed out of Microsoft because he is a moron.

How can you say that about a man who gave us the Zune and Windows Vista?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: