Darren Collison interested in Lakers or Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

I could see our Playoff Ready Roster looking like this:

Collison/Rondo/Caruso
Green/AB/KCP
LeBron/Kuzma/Iggy
AD/Cousins (If He comes back healthy)/Kotas
JaVale/Dwight/Cacok
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
I do not think Boogie gets cut for a variety of reasons.

Lakers won't cut him because they want to resign him for 125% of his current salary next year ($4.4m). That would likely be his best offer.

And another horrible move by our FO

No disrespect, but you are totally wrong (unless you are being a Monday Morning present time QB). I was disappointed when I found out that initial reports were wrong (that we had signed him to a vets minimum). It was a good signing at the time, and I think eventually (if not this year than next) it will pay dividends.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Lakers won't cut him because they want to resign him for 125% of his current salary next year ($4.4m). That would likely be his best offer.

If you trade Boog, you lose his associated 1.75M non-prorated dpe. That bag beats any vet min deal that any other teams can offer. Unfortunately, the Blazers (Hood 2.9m), Nawlins (Miller 3.6m) and Wiz (Miles 4.4m) all have more valuable dpes than ours. Fyi: the Nets also have a Nwaba 840k dpe.

As for resigning Boog's next summer....we'll have roughly 9m in cap space to offer him, so we won't be limited to offering him just that 125% of his current 3.5m deal.

No we won't. We will have the MLE and it wouldn't make sense to use it on Boogie. Offering him anything above $4.4m, would be a bad move by the FO.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

If you trade Boog, you lose his associated 1.75M non-prorated dpe. That bag beats any vet min deal that any other teams can offer. Unfortunately, the Blazers (Hood 2.9m), Nawlins (Miller 3.6m) and Wiz (Miles 4.4m) all have more valuable dpes than ours. Fyi: the Nets also have a Nwaba 840k dpe.

Fortunately no decent free agents would choose those situations over the Lakers.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

As for resigning Boog's next summer....we'll have roughly 9m in cap space to offer him, so we won't be limited to offering him just that 125% of his current 3.5m deal.

No we won't. We will have the MLE and it wouldn't make sense to use it on Boogie. Offering him anything above $4.4m, would be a bad move by the FO.

Yeah, I misspoke with cap space...but we will have potential cap to offer him is what I'm saying.

We have the MLE if we operate as an over the cap team with all our bird rights player's opting into their 2nd year deals (Kcp, Rondo, McGee) and Av opting in.

If they don't and their rights get renounced, then we have roughly 7m in cap space and roughly 9m (if we waive Cook's partially guaranteed deal).

So either way you look at it, we have a potential 9m to offer Boog if it comes to that. I would hope he gives us another discount though, even if he ends up balling out in June.

FYI: as a room team, we have the 5m room exception and potentially 9m in cap space = roughly 14m in potential cap

As a capped out team, we will have roughly the 10m non-tax payer MLE + the roughly 4m in the biannual exception = roughly 14m in potential cap
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I would keep Cook over Daniels if one of them has to go. Cook has been on a championship team and has hit big shots in the Finals. I could see him having a few Fisher/Horry moments for us in the playoffs. He's already proven he won't shrink in the big moments.

Daniels is still unproven but it's tricky because AD personally called him to recruit him.

Both Cook and Daniels should go, but if I had to choose between the two, it'd be Daniels. Why? Because Daniels can fit more easily within a variety of lineups, whereas Cook is only best utilized with a tall PG/ball-handler. Cook can only guard PGs on defense, but he ideally only plays SG on offense. Cook can't be on the floor with Rondo, Collison, or any other small PG. Daniels can.

Cook was a bad signing from the very, very beginning. The Lakers always needed something more/different than what Cook could provide.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

No disrespect, but you are totally wrong (unless you are being a Monday Morning present time QB). I was disappointed when I found out that initial reports were wrong (that we had signed him to a vets minimum). It was a good signing at the time, and I think eventually (if not this year than next) it will pay dividends.

Signing an injury prone player is neither good nor does it pay dividends. Cousins at this point is a 7-8 player in a rotation. He wasn’t a good defender before he got fat and out of shape, now with no lateral movement he will he even worse.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I can’t believe we are actually gonna have a chance to upgrade from Rondo to Collison, that’s such a significant upgrade, I really really hope he doesn’t choose the Clippers.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I can’t believe we are actually gonna have a chance to upgrade from Rondo to Collison, that’s such a significant upgrade, I really really hope he doesn’t choose the Clippers.

So exciting to be wanted again
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So exciting to be wanted again

Yep, the nice pleasure of being a title contender.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Signing an injury prone player is neither good nor does it pay dividends. Cousins at this point is a 7-8 player in a rotation. He wasn’t a good defender before he got fat and out of shape, now with no lateral movement he will he even worse.

I will gladly pay a 7-8 player in a rotation 3.5 mill per (championship teams need some inexpensive rotational players). Also, I keep reading how you are trying to convince others that he is fat and out of shape. If you do not like the guy, that is fine. However, that is fake news. He lost weight this past off season (countless articles comment about this) and he has kept it off. I'm sure if he had signed with your Clippers, you would have been blowing the trumpet. He was clearly a risk worth taking, and you can't look back. I still believe that he will ultimately help this team (whether this year or next).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

He lost weight after he had 2 serious injuries, props for that but too late, the damage is done. If he could offer help on the court that would be fine but he was so limited in GS and has suffered two more injuries since then. Look at Kobe post-Achilles and he was a player who kept himself in great shape. He isn’t worth investing in, we could instead sign someone who could help the team more. Maybe for the minimum in a Jack Haley role.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I know we've gotten OT here, but I don't see why DMC can't be cut and just given some role on the team/coaching staff. Is that illegal in the CBA? Not like someone else is gonna sign him.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Say that Darren Collison chose to return/sign on Feb 10 (a few days after the trade deadline) - the Clippers would be able to pay him $956k (counting as $604k on their books) - the Lakers would have $1.75 mil to pay (Cousins disabled player exception). Relevance TBD

My only concern is that sneaky owner. Might offer a few crypto payments
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
Say that Darren Collison chose to return/sign on Feb 10 (a few days after the trade deadline) - the Clippers would be able to pay him $956k (counting as $604k on their books) - the Lakers would have $1.75 mil to pay (Cousins disabled player exception). Relevance TBD

If money was his concern he wouldn’t have retired. If he returns I think he will look for the best situation for himself.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:

At least quote emplays tweet haha

Depends where his priorities lie.
I wonder why he wants to come back now after such a conviction to retire.

Also, does using the dpe mean boogie isn't allowed to play this year?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

I know that after 6 months of retirement at home with the wife I will probably look to return to work.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers present the best showcase opportunity for him. On the Clips, Bev/Lou are firmly entrenched as the "PGs" and then PG/Shamet are soaking up most of the "SG" minutes. So how much of a role does he have there?

He may be a 25+mpg guy here on the Lakers on a championship contending team.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Don’t even get why clippers need DC. They have enough playmakers.

DC isn’t taking the ball out of at least 3 players hand. For Lakers, it would be just 1 (and that 1 is someone he had previously called “very interesting” to play with)
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

Dpe expires on March 10th if not used. It gets voided if Boog gets traded or if he returns before we use it.

If we use the dpe, then Boog can still play for us once he’s cleared. It’s bad optics, but we can even use our dpe to find a replacement player and still use Boog’s 3.5m salary in a trade afterwards.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
epak wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

Dpe expires on March 10th if not used. It gets voided if Boog gets traded or if he returns before we use it.

If we use the dpe, then Boog can still play for us once he’s cleared. It’s bad optics, but we can even use our dpe to find a replacement player and still use Boog’s 3.5m salary in a trade afterwards.

Awesome. Thanks!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
epak wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

Awesome. Thanks!

PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

what did emplays say?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

If money was his concern he wouldn’t have retired. If he returns I think he will look for the best situation for himself.

I don't know about that. He retired for personal reasons. If he has a change of heart, I don't assume he'd scoffed at an extra $800,000.

For all we know, he's kicking himself for turning down a big paycheck as a free agent this year, and the extra money might matter a great deal to him
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he wants to get paid for a short season, win a championship, and get a fat donation made out to the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: