2020 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 298, 299, 300  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Seager looks absolutely locked in. Betts is a star. Man, this lineup is no joke. Urias is looking good tonight. In a normal 162-game season (and with Price), this is a 100+ win team easy.

I feel like we're cheated out of seeing this team play a full 162. Two recent MVP's on the same squad and both still just entering their prime. Filthy.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Here’s a question:

Do we still do the Betts trade today knowing we only get 60 games of Betts?

yes...it is World Series Champs or bust for the Dodgers this season regardless of the # of games. I think that goal is much more likely to be achieved with Betts in the lineup. I think you would be sick if you kept Verdugo and lost to the Yankees in 6 or 7 games in the World Series knowing you could have traded for Betts.

Well, baseball is more a marathon than a sprint. We’re more setup for a 162 game season than we are for a 60 game season. Inferior teams have more of a chance of upsetting us in a 60 game season then they would in a 162 game season.

Yeah, I don’t get the WS or bust mentality for this year.

We have control over Bellinger for 4 more years.
We have control over Buehler for 5 more years.
We have control over Urias for 4 more years.
We have control over Seager and Taylor for 2 more years.
We have control over Muncy for 4 more years.
We probably have control over Lux for 7 more years.
We just had an incredible draft.
Our farm system is deep.

We have money to spend. There’s going to be a depressed FA market this year due to the pandemic. We might be able to re-sign Betts for cheap.

I don’t get the championship or bust mentality this year. Seems like we are set up very well for the future.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, they lost 2 WS in a row and just got trounced by the World champs. The all-world ace is near done. All those guys are great, but madame baseball is a fickle witch, and we've seen how easy it is for those guys to clamp up when it matters. The farm system is deep, but an ocean of potential does nothing for our championship drought.

when you have the goods, you have to go for it. with that said, the genius of the dodgers is that they aren't setup for a championship or bust. their choices are more - championship or contend
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Here’s a question:

yes...it is World Series Champs or bust for the Dodgers this season regardless of the # of games. I think that goal is much more likely to be achieved with Betts in the lineup. I think you would be sick if you kept Verdugo and lost to the Yankees in 6 or 7 games in the World Series knowing you could have traded for Betts.

Well, baseball is more a marathon than a sprint. We’re more setup for a 162 game season than we are for a 60 game season. Inferior teams have more of a chance of upsetting us in a 60 game season then they would in a 162 game season.

Our farm system is deep.

We have money to spend. There’s going to be a depressed FA market this year due to the pandemic. We might be able to re-sign Betts for cheap.

I don’t get the championship or bust mentality this year. Seems like we are set up very well for the future.

Probably an urgency to win now than later because nothing is guaranteed. Who knows what injuries may lie in the future.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Well, they lost 2 WS in a row and just got trounced by the World champs. The all-world ace is near done. All those guys are great, but madame baseball is a fickle witch, and we've seen how easy it is for those guys to clamp up when it matters. The farm system is deep, but an ocean of potential does nothing for our championship drought.

when you have the goods, you have to go for it. with that said, the genius of the dodgers is that they aren't setup for a championship or bust. their choices are more - championship or contend

Trounced by the World champs? We had a 2-run lead with 6 outs to go. Then Cleyton Manning -- ERR -- Kershaw made his obligatory tragic postseason appearance, aided and abetted by Dave Roberts. Perhaps if we get back this year, the Dodgers will treat him like they did Rich Hill in the postseason, which is to say that they should be happy if he gets into the 5th inning and is doing reasonably well. And absolutely no more relief appearances, which should go without saying.

No, I'm not still bitter or anything.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Lux reported very late (coronavirus?) and looked extremely rusty, both at the plate and in the field. He botched two routine plays last night in the field, and his bat just wasn't there. He needs more time. With Taylor and Hernandez more than capable at the keystone and ahead of where he is right now, this was a wise decision. Sure, they could have carried him on the initial 30-man roster, but he's just too rusty to play right now. Plus, there are service-time implications here: if they hold him down long enough, they can hold his rights for yet another season.

With Taylor signed through next season and certainly capable of being a decent second baseman if they need him to be (not to mention Muncy's ability to play there, and possibly even Rios), I wonder if you will hear rumblings of Lux being available before the trade deadline, with the target possibly being an ace pitcher of some kind. Of course, it's also possible that he gets in gear and ends up being a solid part of our lineup this year.

I couldn’t see us trading 7 years of Lux for 6 starts of an ace pitcher?

Agreed. It would have to be a pitcher with multiple years of team control. At least two for sure, and maybe three. Might be tough to find a match like that. If it's someone in the final year of a deal like Bauer or Syndergaard, it definitely would not require Lux.

Yeah I remember there were rumors of Clevinger. He would definitely require giving up Lux.

Here’s a question:

No, I don't believe so. But it still may work out. Betts is the best player on the team imo, though who knows if that bears itself out in a short season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

[quote="adkindo"]Will Pollack be the primary DH this season?[/quote

They'll have a lot of options. Against righties, I know Joc Pederson will be in the lineup, either at LF or as the DH. There's no doubt about that. If Pollock is doing iffy against righties, they have several options. They can simply put one of Taylor or Kike Hernandez into the lineup (whichever one isn't starting at 2B) if they are swinging well, and maybe even let Turner DH and have one of the aforementioned Taylor/Kike fill in at 3B that day. They could have Edwin Rios get in there, either as the DH or he could also fill in at third. Matt Beaty is a quality option against righties as well. Zack McKinstry has looked fantastic, although that may be a stretch. And, of course, you'd think that Lux will be back at some point, which could open it up for just one of Taylor/Kike.

Against lefties, Pollock should definitely start, with Joc taking a seat. Most likely they'd have both Taylor and Kike in there in some form or another, with perhaps one of them DH'ing, or, as I mentioned before, maybe Turner DH's with both Taylor and Kike playing the field.

The team is just so deep it's crazy. Bellinger and Betts should play CF and RF virtually every day. But think about the legitimate options at all of the other positions (I'll leave out catcher, where Smith and Barnes will get the starts.) At first base, Muncy's the guy, but Rios and Beaty and even Bellinger can play there if necessary. At second base, Taylor, Kike, Lux, Rios, and Muncy can all play there. At short, Seager's the guy, but Taylor, Kike, and Lux can all play there. At third, Turner's the guy, but Taylor, Kike, Rios, and even Muncy can all play there. And in LF, you have all of Joc, Pollock, Taylor, Kike, and Beaty.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Here’s a question:

Our farm system is deep.

Probably an urgency to win now than later because nothing is guaranteed. Who knows what injuries may lie in the future.

We’ve been in an “urgency to win now mode” for awhile now. Is this year more urgent than last year? Possibly.

I remember last year at the trade deadline, everyone was clamoring for us to trade for relief pitching because of our “urgency to win now mode”.

WS or bust? That I don’t understand. If we’re really WS or bust this year, we should have just re-signed Ryu, trade Lux for Clevinger or Lindor, basically just go all in for this year w/ no regards for the future.

That would truly be WS or bust.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Here’s a question:

Our farm system is deep.

We’ve been in an “urgency to win now mode” for awhile now. Is this year more urgent than last year? Possibly.

I remember last year at the trade deadline, everyone was clamoring for us to trade for relief pitching because of our “urgency to win now mode”.

WS or bust? That I don’t understand. If we’re really WS or bust this year, we should have just re-signed Ryu, trade Lux for Clevinger or Lindor, basically just go all in for this year w/ no regards for the future.

That would truly be WS or bust.

Yup, definitely not WS or bust.

Management would rather contend for 10/15 years than win it once and go back in the tank
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

Speaking of Mookie...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29517069/sources-mookie-betts-dodgers-long-term-contract
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Seager is likely gone, but if they can sign Cody to a similar deal when the time comes, this franchise has the cornerstones of a dynasty. Great job FO!

I'll be interested in seeing if there are any opt outs. Hopefully not.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Seager is likely gone, but if they can sign Cody to a similar deal when the time comes, this franchise has the cornerstones of a dynasty. Great job FO!

(bleep), I LOVE Corey.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS

(bleep), I LOVE Corey.

Maybe they'll be able to work something out when he's due, given his injury history, but he'd have to really want it. His agent is Boras (and so is Cody's), so who knows.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS

(bleep), I LOVE Corey.

Maybe they'll be able to work something out when he's due, given his injury history, but he'd have to really want it. His agent is Boras (and so is Cody's), so who knows.

I hope so. I feel like our prospects as an actual contender - instead of just being a paper tiger - really began with his joining the bigs full-time. And injuries aside, he's been such a fantastic hitter. I see him at 3B long-term once JT peters out.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Good lawd 13/$380m during a recession?! Here's hoping the universal DH is a permanent thing a few years from now for ol man Mook. But for the present, at least we be only team that can tout dual MVPs in their primes.

Yeah if Seager leaves we have to hope Lux and McKinstry can man the middle infield for the next decade...traded Downs so we running lite on SS options.

1978-2020
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Speaking of Mookie...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29517069/sources-mookie-betts-dodgers-long-term-contract

This and MLB owners fought like the devil to pay the players as little as possible during the pandemic. Yeah, I get it . . . capitalism, but MLB is not a free market system.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS

(bleep), I LOVE Corey.

I hope so. I feel like our prospects as an actual contender - instead of just being a paper tiger - really began with his joining the bigs full-time. And injuries aside, he's been such a fantastic hitter. I see him at 3B long-term once JT peters out.

I love Corey. He's so good when he's healthy.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers Extend Mookie Betts

Mookie Betts is a Dodger for the long haul. The team announced this afternoon that Betts has signed a 12-year extension through the 2032 season. It’ll reportedly guarantee him a whopping $365MM in new money on top of this year’s $27MM salary (which has been prorated to $10MM due to the shortened 2020 season). Betts is represented by the VC Sports Group.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/dodgers-extend-mookie-betts-12-years.html
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Great article on the Athletic. Of note:

Quote:
The Dodgers could afford Betts because they could also afford to eat half of Price’s contract. Friedman had ducked the sort of mid-tier, free-agent contracts that might bog down his payroll. The team owes $42 million in guaranteed contracts for 2022. That number falls to $0 in 2023.

https://theathletic.com/1945692/2020/07/22/mccullough-dodgers-epic-quest-for-a-superstar-ends-with-mookie-betts/
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
Betts’ deal with Dodgers includes deferrals, source says.
3:41 PM · Jul 22, 2020
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1286053685441826816

Still no word on opt-outs, but I'm not seeing anything about any so far.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
Dodgers Extend Mookie Betts

Mookie Betts is a Dodger for the long haul. The team announced this afternoon that Betts has signed a 12-year extension through the 2032 season. It’ll reportedly guarantee him a whopping $365MM in new money on top of this year’s $27MM salary (which has been prorated to $10MM due to the shortened 2020 season). Betts is represented by the VC Sports Group.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/dodgers-extend-mookie-betts-12-years.html

A lot of money, but then you don't (or shouldn't) make that trade unless you are serious about signing him. Let's hope he is closer to Adrian Gonzalez (and then some) than Carl Crawford, one of the worst contracts ever signed--from a team point of view.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

So damn happy right now, folks. This makes the trade with Boston more than fair, and when you think about the fact that we pillaged the Twins in the Maeda deal (Graterol!) it just makes it all the better for us.

Seager does look like he's back to the hitter we saw in his first two seasons, so we just need him to stay healthy now. As for what the Dodgers have in the pipeline at SS if Seager only has a couple more years with us, don't forget that Lux is a SS by trade.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Well I'll be. We actually backed up the Brinks truck. Wow. Stoked!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Also, there's a late push--and I mean, very late--for expanded playoffs from 10 teams to 16, per Jon Heyman. The league and the union are trying to hammer it out here in the final hours. They'd have to have an agreement before tomorrow's first game of the season.

"Sources: MLB and union are re-engaging on the possibility of expanded playoffs for this season. Has to be done before first pitch 25 hours from now, but there seems to be optimism. Hope was to go from 10 playoff teams to 16."
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject:

When you think of it paying Mookie $365m/12 compared to $300m/10 for Machado or $330m/13 for Harper. Dodgers made a great signing.

Friedman gets all the credit for creating this flexibility in our payroll
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 4 of 300
Jump to: