Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject:

Wow. Aaron Donald is retiring.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject:

We knew it was coming but that is one hard dude to replace any way you look at it.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Wow. Aaron Donald is retiring.

Very sad day for Rams fans. The guy put in so much work to stay on top and probably realized the fire wasn't there anymore. I'm glad he's making the decision to walk away instead of injuries making it for him.

Legend 99
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject:

Good for him. No need to destroy his body for some extra few years.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject:

Probably got tired of the losing. After winning the Super Bowl and coming back and not making the playoffs that must have been very demotivating. Rams outperformed expectations last year but are still pretty far from competing for a championship.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject:

From Sportrac:

2022-2024
Aaron Donald signed a 3 year, $95,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $25,000,000 signing bonus, $95,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $31,666,667.
Code:
Contract:   3 yr(s) / $95,000,000   Signing Bonus $25,000,000   Average Salary $31,666,667   GTD at Sign: $46,500,000    Total GTD: $95,000,000    

So, someone here help me understand just what this means for this year's salary cap.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
From Sportrac:

2022-2024
Aaron Donald signed a 3 year, $95,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $25,000,000 signing bonus, $95,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $31,666,667.
Code:
Contract:   3 yr(s) / $95,000,000   Signing Bonus $25,000,000   Average Salary $31,666,667   GTD at Sign: $46,500,000    Total GTD: $95,000,000    

So, someone here help me understand just what this means for this year's salary cap.

It seems to show that the dead cap hit that we're incurring is going to be just under $25MM, and that right now we have just under $27.6MM in available cap space. However, it also estimates that a little over 11 million of that will go to our scheduled draft picks, as it stands right now.

As to how this is calculated, I have no idea lol.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks Stu. I found this (I must admit I don't understand the NFL salary structure, but then I've never really tried to):

Quote:
Still trying to confirm a few items but it appears as though the #Rams are handing Aaron Donald a $13.8M bonus on his way out.

LA processed a full salary conversion this morning & will likely carry the contract into June, before taking on dead hits of:

2024: $17M
2025: $25.2M

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1768678893165203936?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

(I must admit I think of Aaron somewhat like LeBron. Better with than without but not quite worth the salary at this point.)
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject:

Stafford and McVay probably aren't far behind. Rams probably have a full rebuild in them in the future.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources to me and @PSchrags: The #Rams have agreed to terms with QB Jimmy Garoppolo on a one-year deal.

Following a year with the #Raiders, Garoppolo is set to join Matthew Stafford and Sean McVay in L.A.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I hate how the NFL cap works. A guy retires, and you take a massive $25MM dead cap charge in the following year? I guess that's what happens when you try to keep the cap number lower in the first 2 years of his deal, but I still find it to be pretty ridiculous. I wish the cap were more linear, like in the NBA or the NHL. But I suppose that will never happen when the contracts aren't guaranteed. Would be so much easier if they were. Then, we could just end this charade of "5-year deals." Take Calvin Ridley signing a "4-year deal" with the Titans. It's basically 2 years of guaranteed money. So, instead, why not just have fully guaranteed contracts and if the reality of football means that top free agents can only get 2-year deals, fine, let's do that.

Anyway, rant over. Jimmy G, provided he's not breaking the bank, is a nice backup signing.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject:

They should move Stafford to a contender and get a couple of picks back. They were contenders with AD, now they are not, they might as well get a head start on that rebuild!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject:

The Salary Cap Impact of Aaron Donald’s Retirement

https://overthecap.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-aaron-donalds-retirement
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject:

The truth is, AD really wanted to retire after winning the SB. He reached his ultimate goal and he was done....and was totally fine with that. He was never about the money or accolades...or else he'd still be playing right now. That tireless work ethic - very Kobe-like mind you - to be great must've taken a toll. Plus, constantly facing double and triple teams was something he hated......and still got to the day he retired. The fact that AD did what he did facing two players plus from Day 1 to his last day is absolutely astounding. He goes out on top. Out like Barry Sanders.

Now let's see what Sean/Snead does without one of the greatest. AD was the one constant during this McVay era. It was all built around him.

Kiss my Converse.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm surprised he came back for 2 more seasons. That said to me he wanted another ring, but he probably realized that day might never come and he's getting older. So why not sit back and enjoy the money and the rest of his life with a lot less pain from football.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject:

Got the chance to see AD play LIVE about 7 or 8 times. Dude was an absolute wrecking ball out there. What he lacked in size he made up for with brute strength and force. No other defender faced the same kind of double and triple teams in the history of the game. He'll be missed. But congrats to him on one helluva career. Ram for life.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject:

Ugh, not excited about Jimmy G signing. He was terrible last season playing in a system he was familiar with and got outplayed by a 4th round pick (who also struggled). Also gets hurt a lot and gets his receivers killed.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject:

I don’t believe in retiring immediately after a SB win unless you’re an old player at the end of your career. Dick Vermeil did that and regretted it on opening day of the next season. It make more sense to come back another year or two.

Even MJ retired on top after 6 rings and still got the itch to come back.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I don’t believe in retiring immediately after a SB win unless you’re an old player at the end of your career. Dick Vermeil did that and regretted it on opening day of the next season. It make more sense to come back another year or two.

Even MJ retired on top after 6 rings and still got the itch to come back.

Not many John Elways or Jerome Bettis out there. I can't say I blame athletes for wringing out every last ounce before they retire. Winning a championship says you can still do it.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Good for him. No need to destroy his body for some extra few years.

Well deserved
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
12m
Former Bills All-Pro CB Tre'Davious White is visiting the Rams today, and is scheduled to meet later this week with the Titans and Giants.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
12m
Former Bills All-Pro CB Tre'Davious White is visiting the Rams today, and is scheduled to meet later this week with the Titans and Giants.

LINK

Quote:
The two-time Pro Bowl cornerback is signing with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year deal that can be worth up to $10 million, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday, per a source.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
12m

LINK

Quote:
The two-time Pro Bowl cornerback is signing with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year deal that can be worth up to $10 million, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday, per a source.

Probably means he got a guarantee of about $5-6MM. Not a bad prove-it signing. Who knows how effective he will be off some major injuries recently, though. Hasn't had a PFF grade of over 70 since 2020.

EDIT: Wrong! I missed Schefter's tweet that he's getting $8.5MM.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject:

I'm starting to see some chatter that the Rams might take a quarterback with the 19th pick. One NFL analyst thinks it could be Bo Nix from Oregon.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I'm starting to see some chatter that the Rams might take a quarterback with the 19th pick. One NFL analyst thinks it could be Bo Nix from Oregon.

I've seen some speculation of this, and even for Penix instead of Nix. I would probably throw up if we took Nix 19th overall in what is a great draft. Someone really good is going to fall to 19 because at least 4 QB's will go before then, plus at least 3 WR's, plus a slew of OL. And we don't appear to need OL. So one of the top 3 CB's, one of the top 3 pass rushers, or Murphy (the top DT) is almost certain to be there. To me, if we took a QB at 19, it would be a clear indication that Stafford has informed the team that this could be his last year. But I still feel it would be a huge overdraft.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230, 231  Next
Page 229 of 231
Jump to: