Does anyone else feel like I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
It's the lack of fans. It doesn't make the title less special or valid, what it does do is make it less engaging to watch

I recall driving the streets and seeing Lakers flags all over cars during the playoffs. I haven't seen that yet and we're probably down to the last game.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
drae wrote:
It's the lack of fans. It doesn't make the title less special or valid, what it does do is make it less engaging to watch

I recall driving the streets and seeing Lakers flags all over cars during the playoffs. I haven't seen that yet and we're probably down to the last game.

You mean a month out from the US elections and in the middle of football season attention is divided?

OMG you're right
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to clarify further. 5 years ago the Superbowl had over 100 million viewers compared with the NBA's finals 20 million

The NBA competing with football is bad for business for the NBA, it's not rocket science
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

This is for Kobe...if you need more than that to get you pumped then there's nothing any of us can say.

#BannersOverBillboards
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Nothing in 2020 feels quite right, it’s all tainted. I don’t think the NBA playoffs are any more than anything else.

Edit: should add Kobe is something specific to the Lakers, but that is both painful and motivating and kinda nets out.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Yes, a Lakers Championship is what I live for, maybe the OP is distracted by COVID or political issues..

A Lakers title rises above everything, if you don't feel it - you're not a fan, simple as that!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel like I do?

lakersboy wrote:
I've cheered for championships in the past and they were all special. I'm watching and enjoying the wins during the playoffs, but for the first time, it doesn't feel special, even to finally tie the Celtics at 17. I don't think there needs to be an asterisk, but it feels anticlimactic. I barely notice people wearing Lakers gear now or with it on their cars like in Junes gone by.

Are you as excited as you normally would be?

I'm enjoying this run as much as any other year.

That said, my friends don't really care about basketball. Even during the threepeat and 09-10, I rarely heard people in coffee shops talking about the Lakers. I might see a Laker flag on a car now and then, but it wasn't like the area where I live was swimming in them. So the communal part doesn't feel different to me.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
The roar of the Lakers' home crowd when someone hits a big shot or gets a monster block, and the equally enjoyable sudden hush when in the opponent's arena is sorely missed. The playoffs bubble has denied us all of those shared moments of euphoria with the live audience that are always the balance to the crushing negative emotions of the high-stakes, win-or-go-home postseason environment.

Agree completely. If the Lakers win Friday, I expect to enjoy the post game interviews and then quietly move on to trying to enjoy football on the weekends to sidetrack me from life's concerns.

You’re not alone bro. And don’t feel ashamed. I wrote something similar in the Kobe thread. Been a weird year and for me it’s been a mix of the Kobe thing + the bubble but I just can’t get myself going. Don’t worry about it - there’s more to life and hopefully your joy comes back one day. Lot of question marks and I’m tired of fighting it too. People all around me asking me how excited I am and the truth is I’m not.

I’m actually craving a Dodger title more than anything - but I’m also afraid I will be robbed of some joy there as well IF they do indeed win. Weird year man and sports are not helping me get my mind off things I guess.

Anyways don’t sweat it and don’t fight it. Don’t feel bad about it either and don’t let other people tell you otherwise. To each their own.

Comical how some in here are trying to convince LB it’s just him and to get over it. For those that are as happy as they can be I’m happy for you. I wish I was feeling the same way.

Some titles just hit different. This one isn’t doing it for me..and the 3peat title didn’t do too much for me either in 02.

I appreciate the acknowledgement.

To each his own. I wasn't asking everyone to feel like me. I just wanted to know the different feelings people have. It's interesting that the 3 peat didn't particularly move you. I know I was spoiled then and I came back down to earth when the Spurs eliminated them in '03.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel like I do?

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
I've cheered for championships in the past and they were all special. I'm watching and enjoying the wins during the playoffs, but for the first time, it doesn't feel special, even to finally tie the Celtics at 17. I don't think there needs to be an asterisk, but it feels anticlimactic. I barely notice people wearing Lakers gear now or with it on their cars like in Junes gone by.

That said, my friends don't really care about basketball. Even during the threepeat and 09-10, I rarely heard people in coffee shops talking about the Lakers. I might see a Laker flag on a car now and then, but it wasn't like the area where I live was swimming in them. So the communal part doesn't feel different to me.

I understand. The area I've lived in always has Lakers fans coming out of the shadows during playoffs.

I've watched enough championship basketball to make me wonder if the childlike thrill is gone.
dumpaling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

To be honest I was super excited when the clippers lost but the finals has been meh. Still happy but so far it doesn't feel the same. I don't know if it's the bubble or if it's just that I'm not as invested in the players. I never liked Lebron, but I'm happy he's a Laker. I like AD but it's his first year. It's not the same as watching and rooting for Kobe his whole career. Plus Fisher, Shaq and everyone. The only player I feel the same attachment for is Kuz.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel like I do?

lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

I understand. The area I've lived in always has Lakers fans coming out of the shadows during playoffs.

I've watched enough championship basketball to make me wonder if the childlike thrill is gone.

I certainly don't have the passion for the NBA that I did in my 20s. Now, it's just entertainment. If they had cancelled the season, I would have shrugged and moved onto something else, Same with the finals. I find it fun and exciting, but it's not at all important. I would skip games for a backpacking trip or something else more fun than sitting in front of a screen.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Quality of play and competitiveness has been very high in the bubble. Also if anything has hurt the Lakers because they lost the main advantage the 1 seed gets you. Home court. Very legit. Just weird to have the nba post season at the same time as the nfl and mlb playoffs.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't know what others are rockin because I'm not out and about nearly as much. I'd put flags on my car, but it has left the garage once in 3 weeks.

Somehow, I'm more nervous before these games. I guess it's because it has been a while.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel like I do?

lakersboy wrote:

This is Bill Simmons burner account
HighlanderFil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I can relate to the feeling. When Kobe retired, the NBA kind of ended for me. I still watch, I still wear purple and gold, but it's not the same. But Game 4 was the first time my blood pressure truly rose this off-season. So maybe there's still some of that old feeling left. I'm definitely going to be excited when we win, but it will be a different kind of excitement. Nothing to do with the pandemic, though.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject:

The Peyer Frampton song?

Nope, winning a ring is even more special in a year like this.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
I'm going to clarify further. 5 years ago the Superbowl had over 100 million viewers compared with the NBA's finals 20 million

The NBA competing with football is bad for business for the NBA, it's not rocket science

There's a lot going on right now --

1. The NBA is competing against football and baseball.
2. It's competing against the presidential election.
3. It's possible that the fan-less arena is turning people off.
4. Some think the NBA's focus on social justice is turning fans off.

Hockey, golf, football, and baseball ratings have all been down too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

There's a lot going on right now --

1. The NBA is competing against football and baseball.
2. It's competing against the presidential election.
3. It's possible that the fan-less arena is turning people off.
4. Some think the NBA's focus on social justice is turning fans off.

Hockey, golf, football, and baseball ratings have all been down too.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject:

It's the most I've enjoyed the playoffs since the last Laker championship. The Finals are a little anticlimactic because I personally think the Heat are the weakest team the Lakers have played (not counting Lillard's injury) but I still am excited to see them win. The absence of fans certainly diminishes the experience, but doesn't ruin it for me.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

AD's game winning buzzer beater if it occured in Staples would have been the stuff of legend.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel like I do?

The Lebrons wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

This is Bill Simmons burner account

Where do I collect my click bait royalties?

Last edited by lakersboy on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject:

dumpaling wrote:
To be honest I was super excited when the clippers lost but the finals has been meh. Still happy but so far it doesn't feel the same. I don't know if it's the bubble or if it's just that I'm not as invested in the players. I never liked Lebron, but I'm happy he's a Laker. I like AD but it's his first year. It's not the same as watching and rooting for Kobe his whole career. Plus Fisher, Shaq and everyone. The only player I feel the same attachment for is Kuz.

You said exactly what I feel about the team and those players. I didn't have a favorite guy who i root for aside from Kuz, although I like the team and wish them all well. There's no long term attachment to anyone else.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

In before lock.....
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
drae wrote:

AD's game winning buzzer beater if it occured in Staples would have been the stuff of legend.

Agreed. Or Lebron and AD taunting Miami fans instead of a glass wall after that dagger 3 in game 4
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Snipes wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
The roar of the Lakers' home crowd when someone hits a big shot or gets a monster block, and the equally enjoyable sudden hush when in the opponent's arena is sorely missed. The playoffs bubble has denied us all of those shared moments of euphoria with the live audience that are always the balance to the crushing negative emotions of the high-stakes, win-or-go-home postseason environment.

Agree completely. If the Lakers win Friday, I expect to enjoy the post game interviews and then quietly move on to trying to enjoy football on the weekends to sidetrack me from life's concerns.

You’re not alone bro. And don’t feel ashamed. I wrote something similar in the Kobe thread. Been a weird year and for me it’s been a mix of the Kobe thing + the bubble but I just can’t get myself going. Don’t worry about it - there’s more to life and hopefully your joy comes back one day. Lot of question marks and I’m tired of fighting it too. People all around me asking me how excited I am and the truth is I’m not.

I’m actually craving a Dodger title more than anything - but I’m also afraid I will be robbed of some joy there as well IF they do indeed win. Weird year man and sports are not helping me get my mind off things I guess.

Anyways don’t sweat it and don’t fight it. Don’t feel bad about it either and don’t let other people tell you otherwise. To each their own.

Comical how some in here are trying to convince LB it’s just him and to get over it. For those that are as happy as they can be I’m happy for you. I wish I was feeling the same way.

Some titles just hit different. This one isn’t doing it for me..and the 3peat title didn’t do too much for me either in 02.

I appreciate the acknowledgement.

To each his own. I wasn't asking everyone to feel like me. I just wanted to know the different feelings people have. It's interesting that the 3 peat didn't particularly move you. I know I was spoiled then and I came back down to earth when the Spurs eliminated them in '03.

I think because I was 12..and just expected them to win year after year with Kobe and Shaq. You’re right though when the Spurs beat us I shed tears alongside Fish and Kobe.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: